Author Topic: Anyone believe in Haunted Houses  (Read 25787 times)

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
Re: Anyone believe in Haunted Houses
« Reply #150 on: July 12, 2013, 02:12:19 PM »

You would think most people would know this. Its scary that people actually believe this is the wrong way to go about examining claims.

High school biology, man. 
A

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #151 on: July 12, 2013, 02:19:50 PM »
High school biology, man. 

I know it full well.

We aren't in biology class, discussing concrete things. We are discussing things they are metaphysical, and "belief" more along the lines of a religious debate.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #152 on: July 12, 2013, 02:20:37 PM »
come on mate

so you managed to hear about it but its a secret

use your mind

dont believe just cause you want to

if there was something like that in existence the whole world would know

fact
I don't have the box. I didn't experience what they experienced. Nor do I want the box, nor do I want to know where the damn box is. I cannot prove nor disprove what they said is true. For me to disprove it, in my eyes I would need the box...but I am not willing to disprove it, nor search for.

You are talking to someone who while under the age of 10 was lecturing his Country side of family about the virtues of snakes, and not to kill them. And whenever a snake was, I wanted to identify it, whether it was poisonous or not---by eyes, scales on head, etc. Very naive....but, I wanted to prove that said snakes were not bad thru identification of them. Thus, my family need not kill them.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: July 12, 2013, 02:21:30 PM »
I know it full well.

We aren't in biology class, discussing concrete things. We are discussing things they are metaphysical, and "belief" more along the lines of a religious debate.

Haha, nice try

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #154 on: July 12, 2013, 02:22:25 PM »
I know it full well.

You can't move the goal posts.
A

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #155 on: July 12, 2013, 02:26:36 PM »
Just want to point out that you have substituted one unknown conclusion, ghosts, for another in your example (unknown particles)

(nitpicking mode engaged) Perhaps you mean an unknown 'cause' or some such. A conclusion is a statement -- a linguistic entity of one sort or another. Ghosts and unknown particles won't be linguistic entities if they exist.

yet you ascribe them different status

Yes. I think that just because the unknown particle and ghosts are both theoretical posits (i.e., 'unknown' in some sense) doesn't mean we need treat them as equally plausible. The general point is easily made: I hereby stipulate the existence of theoretical entity G, a colony of invisible gnomes. I posit them, consistent with scientific practice, in order to explain an observation: that the universe is expanding rather than contracting. I think that the colony of invisible gnomes are at the boundaries of the universe, utilizing some nefarious gnomish technology to pull the universe apart. Now, is this posit as plausible as dark matter?

Just like dark matter is more plausible than invisible gnome colonies given the corpus of scientific knowledge we've accrued, so too are non-paranormal explanations more plausible than paranormal (ghosts, auras, spirits, etc.) ones. There is literally nothing in what we know of the world to recommend positing ethereal entities and survival after death, and rather a lot to recommend explanations rooted in scientific psychology (especially the voluminous research indicating just how error-prone our cognition and perception is). If this changes, then we can reasonably begin to entertain the possibility of said alternative explanations -- but until then it is mere fantasy.

There are many explanations, the only way to know is one by one check them off via experimentation.

Maybe. If we accept this, we should look at all the experimentation going on and see what it indicates about the plausibility of paranormal explanations.

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #156 on: July 12, 2013, 02:31:14 PM »
Whose moving goal posts?  i believe that there are unexplained phenomenon in this world, I've seen it with my own two eyes...numerous times. I know what i saw, you people want to lean on "science" well, science thought the earth was flat and the planets all revolved around us and not the Sun, not too long ago. Do you think you know everything ? I dont.  

Syntax brought up a good point, albiet in a wrong way...there is stuff we don't know yet. Are they "ghosts" ? I don't know, but that is the term commonly used to describe things of this nature in this day and age, so I'll go with it. If someone figures out that it is nueron particles, then I'll go with that.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #157 on: July 12, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »

(nitpicking mode engaged) Perhaps you mean an unknown 'cause' or some such. A conclusion is a statement -- a linguistic entity of one sort or another. Ghosts and unknown particles won't be linguistic entities if they exist.

Yes. I think that just because the unknown particle and ghosts are both theoretical posits (i.e., 'unknown' in some sense) doesn't mean we need treat them as equally plausible. The general point is easily made: I hereby stipulate the existence of theoretical entity G, a colony of invisible gnomes. I posit them, consistent with scientific practice, in order to explain an observation: that the universe is expanding rather than contracting. I think that the colony of invisible gnomes are at the boundaries of the universe, utilizing some nefarious gnomish technology to pull the universe apart. Now, is this posit as plausible as dark matter?

Just like dark matter is more plausible than invisible gnome colonies given the corpus of scientific knowledge we've accrued, so too are non-paranormal explanations more plausible than paranormal (ghosts, auras, spirits, etc.) ones. There is literally nothing in what we know of the world to recommend positing ethereal entities and survival after death, and rather a lot to recommend explanations rooted in scientific psychology (especially the voluminous research indicating just how error-prone our cognition and perception is). If this changes, then we can reasonably begin to entertain the possibility of said alternative explanations -- but until then it is mere fantasy.

Maybe. If we accept this, we should look at all the experimentation going on and see what it indicates about the plausibility of paranormal explanations.
You should see the pics people send in to coast to coast am...
Gnome houses in trees, lol...like a gnome is sitting in his house looking at his big screen gnome TV...and I bet said gnome doesn't believe in invisible gnome colonies either...
And how do invisible gnomes see each other?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #158 on: July 12, 2013, 04:15:34 PM »
Whose moving goal posts?  i believe that there are unexplained phenomenon in this world, I've seen it with my own two eyes...numerous times. I know what i saw, you people want to lean on "science" well, science thought the earth was flat and the planets all revolved around us and not the Sun, not too long ago. Do you think you know everything ? I dont.  

Syntax brought up a good point, albiet in a wrong way...there is stuff we don't know yet. Are they "ghosts" ? I don't know, but that is the term commonly used to describe things of this nature in this day and age, so I'll go with it. If someone figures out that it is nueron particles, then I'll go with that.

Anecdotal evidence is not reliable evidence. Seeing things with your own 2 eyes means jack. This is why eyewitness testimonies are so poor. Ask 10 people who saw the same crime, and you will get different answers.

Well, of course we want to lean on science. How else do you think we should examine the universe?  :-\

Science never claimed to have ALL the answers. And any scientists will admit that just because something is correct today, it does not mean it will be correct tomorrow. Science is progress, and I am assuming no good scientist will ever state that theory X will always be true, no matter what. The notion that science could be wrong still does not prove that houses are haunted.

There are unexplained phenomena. But just because its unexplained, it does not mean we should attach a metaphysical purpose/reason to it.  If I cannot explain something, I will just take the default position of, "I do not know" instead of assuming something automatically without evidence.

Ghosts may exist. You may be 100% right. But up until now, there is not sufficient evidence that they do exist.

Looks like we will have to agree to disagree.
X

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #159 on: July 12, 2013, 04:18:36 PM »

Anecdotal evidence is not reliable evidence. Seeing things with your own 2 eyes means jack. This is why eyewitness testimonies are so poor. Ask 10 people who saw the same crime, and you will get different answers.

Well, of course we want to lean on science. How else do you think we should examine the universe?  :-\

Science never claimed to have ALL the answers. And any scientists will admit that just because something is correct today, it does not mean it will be correct tomorrow. Science is progress, and I am assuming no good scientist will ever state that theory X will always be true, no matter what. The notion that science could be wrong still does not prove that houses are haunted.

There are unexplained phenomena. But just because its unexplained, it does not mean we should attach a metaphysical purpose/reason to it.  If I cannot explain something, I will just take the default position of, "I do not know" instead of assuming something automatically without evidence.

Ghosts may exist. You may be 100% right. But up until now, there is not sufficient evidence that they do exist.

Looks like we will have to agree to disagree.

Fair enough. Good response.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #160 on: July 12, 2013, 04:26:44 PM »

Via the indwelling of Christ, asshole.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #161 on: July 12, 2013, 04:42:57 PM »
Via the indwelling of Christ, asshole.

Damnit! I had a feeling those damn scientists were going about it all wrong!  :-\
X

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #162 on: July 12, 2013, 08:04:44 PM »
ive been star gazing alot and that was the weirdest damn thing ever

saw probably 20-30 shooting stars
I never understood shooting stars are they stars that just burn out or what give us some knowledge on this Johnny.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #163 on: July 13, 2013, 02:34:12 AM »
I saw this from someone else that posted it. Guess what time 2:00 to 4:30 those hours as said before are linked more to paranormal alot more than other hours.

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #164 on: July 13, 2013, 03:40:22 AM »
Searching for spirits or invoke them is quite easy.
but, trying to invoke specified one is extremely difficult.
Also, exorcism is very difficult too.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #165 on: July 13, 2013, 03:43:24 AM »
Searching for spirits or invoke them is quite easy.
but, trying to invoke specified one is extremely difficult.
Also, exorcism is very difficult too.

Good point.

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #166 on: July 13, 2013, 03:50:56 AM »
Good point.
Anyway, what i recommend to everybody is: Better stay away as far as possible from this kind of thing. because,They attack you from the side of your under deep conciousness and almost impossible to defend yourself if you are not trained.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #167 on: July 13, 2013, 03:54:52 AM »
Anyway, what i recommend to everybody is: Better stay away as far as possible from this kind of thing. because,They attack you from the side of your under deep conciousness and almost impossible to defend yourself if you are not trained.
Have you felt spirits in your meditation practices kyomu? I meditate as well problem in meditation sometimes you confuse reality with your past experiences.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #168 on: July 13, 2013, 04:00:28 AM »
I saw this from someone else that posted it. Guess what time 2:00 to 4:30 those hours as said before are linked more to paranormal alot more than other hours.

Wow a bug in front of the camera, insects CAN set off IR sensors, the security guy in the video needs firing..

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #169 on: July 13, 2013, 04:03:33 AM »
Have you felt spirits in your meditation practices kyomu? I meditate as well problem in meditation sometimes you confuse reality with your past experiences.
My meditation is different from other in one point. Unlike Zen, many of taoism meditation need the concentration of Ki de Yang in whole body . So its almost impossible to feel the spirit during the taoism meditation. Because most of those spirits belong to Ying(most of spirits cant show up in Yang circumstance).
Before starting and reaching a good level of my taoism training, I had numerous serious problems from those beings. Sucks a lot.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #170 on: July 13, 2013, 04:55:26 AM »

Dude has many great vids - he seems to be the most sensible and educated on such subjects.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #171 on: July 13, 2013, 06:34:45 AM »
My meditation is different from other in one point. Unlike Zen, many of taoism meditation need the concentration of Ki de Yang in whole body . So its almost impossible to feel the spirit during the taoism meditation. Because most of those spirits belong to Ying(most of spirits cant show up in Yang circumstance).
Before starting and reaching a good level of my taoism training, I had numerous serious problems from those beings. Sucks a lot.
Interesting I do Zen Meditation. So I think the Yang represents the male aggressive spirit is that true?

gee38

• Getbig IV
« Reply #172 on: July 13, 2013, 07:30:29 AM »
some great work on here by syntax, army of one, sf1900 amongst others

I think ghosts are amazing

despite dying before cctv they are all careful to not get picked up on a form of technology that wasn't invented. quite why they are so happy to present themselves to numerous people they don't want the telly fame.

good on them I say

they could end this debate once and for all but out of some respect for the rules of ghosting they choose not to.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #173 on: July 13, 2013, 07:32:17 AM »
I meditate and have been for a decade. Twenty minutes of stillness is very refreshing.
A

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #174 on: July 13, 2013, 08:18:23 AM »
Wow a bug in front of the camera, insects CAN set off IR sensors, the security guy in the video needs firing..

No bro, that was clearly footage of an ethereal, Buddha-hating entity getting in a workout before hitting Groink's girlfriend's place.