Author Topic: Fall out from The State v. Zimmerman  (Read 781 times)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Fall out from The State v. Zimmerman
« on: July 23, 2013, 08:26:41 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2370655/Sheriffs-deputy-reprimanded-bringing-iced-tea-Skittles-work-inappropriate-insensitive-gesture.html

Florida sheriff's deputy reprimanded after bringing iced tea and Skittles to work in 'inappropriate' and 'insensitive' gesture

A sheriff's deputy was suspended on Thursday after bringing a can of Arizona Ice Tea and a bag of Skittles to work at a Florida county jail.

Corporal Chris Wood brought the candy and soda in last Saturday to try and make a misplaced point about separating professional and personal opinions in the workplace.

But his superiors saw the gesture as 'offensive' and 'insensitive', and Wood was suspended - his first disciplinary action in 10 years of service for the sheriff's office.

Brevard County Sheriff Wayne Ivey said that: 'His delivery of that message was completely insensitive to not only the people in the room, and the things that were going on in our community, and our society, at that point, and that's what stimulated us looking at it.'

According to WFTV, Wood has been given a written reprimand and also he will be made to attend sensitivity and interpersonal training.

The corporal has already apologized for 'unclear and potentially divisive message' and also to his colleagues.

Ivey said that his deputy was attempting to make a statement about dividing professional and personal sentiment during the long and emotional trial.

'Deputy Wood obviously underestimated the depth and varying personal opinions of his coworkers and now realizes that his message and delivery was poorly constructed and inappropriate,' Ivey continued.

The sheriff said that up until now Wood had enjoyed a 'stellar' career. 'He's going to attend a sensitivity training and we move on,' Ivey concluded.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2370655/Sheriffs-deputy-reprimanded-bringing-iced-tea-Skittles-work-inappropriate-insensitive-gesture.html#ixzz2ZsmxYFrI

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tu's take:

Very insensitive of course, and somewhat douchey, but goddam, if skittles and tea are getting people in trouble, then we have bigger problems in regards to race than I thought.

Ridiculous as fuck.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Fall out from The State v. Zimmerman
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 08:32:55 AM »
yeah, I'm sure the people he works with appreciate that his stupid gesture might get the criminals they have to guard every day riled up and then they have to deal with the fall out

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 08:36:19 AM »
yeah, I'm sure the people he works with appreciate that his stupid gesture might get the criminals they have to guard every day riled up and then they have to deal with the fall out

What a well thought out point for the discussion.

::)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 08:42:53 AM »
What a well thought out point for the discussion.

::)

really, what's your problem with it

you don't think that if the inmates saw this stupid "symbolic gesture" that it might piss them off and cause everyone potential problems?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 08:44:15 AM »
really, what's your problem with it

you don't think that if the inmates saw this stupid "symbolic gesture" that it might piss them off and cause everyone potential problems?

I do, but your statement has a sense of sarcasm to it... If I am incorrect, then I apologize.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 08:54:57 AM »
Completely inappropriate and insensitive behavior.   Should have known better
A

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 08:59:54 AM »
I do, but your statement has a sense of sarcasm to it... If I am incorrect, then I apologize.

no sarcasm intended at all and no need to apologize (I often can't tell sarcasm on this site either)

people in all kinds of jobs should learn to leave their personal opinions, especially on potentially inflammatory topics at home,especially in a place like a prison where you're tasked with guarding potentially dangerous people i

If you own the business that's another story 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 09:22:28 AM »
Completely inappropriate and insensitive behavior.   Should have known better

Very True.

no sarcasm intended at all and no need to apologize (I often can't tell sarcasm on this site either)

people in all kinds of jobs should learn to leave their personal opinions, especially on potentially inflammatory topics at home,especially in a place like a prison where you're tasked with guarding potentially dangerous people i

If you own the business that's another story 

Agreed.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 09:47:37 AM »
what a dick.

but in FL, it is pretty common for police in office to pull these pranks to rev up their 55% mccain voting base ;)

Our sheriff made nat'l news by introducing Palin 2008 rally to "Stop barrack HUSSEIN Obama" while wearing his uniform.  Slap on wrist, but he won re-eleciton too ;)