Author Topic: What Obama Missed in his Trayvon Martin Speech  (Read 1178 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
What Obama Missed in his Trayvon Martin Speech
« on: July 23, 2013, 10:27:27 AM »
In his personal and heartfelt speech yesterday on the Trayvon Martin tragedy, President Obama did a great job explaining why “the African-American community is looking at this issue through a set of experiences and a history that doesn’t go away.”

Had he stuck to that theme, it would have been a fine speech.

The problem is that he ventured into the tricky area of long-term solutions.

Specifically, he spoke about the need to “bolster and reinforce our African American boys…who need help [and] who are getting a lot of negative reinforcement,” and he asked: “Is there more that we can do to give them the sense that their country cares about them and values them and is willing to invest in them?”

This is where he stumbled. He completely ignored the most important investment in a kid’s life— responsible parenting—and the troubling reality that, according to government statistics, 72 percent of African-American children are born to unmarried mothers.

As reported in The Root, an African-American Web site that is a division of the Washington Post, these are the consequences of fatherless homes:

63 percent of youth suicides
       90 percent of all homeless and runaway children
       85 percent of all children who show behavior disorders
       80 percent of rapists with anger problems
       71 percent of all high school dropouts
       75 percent of all adolescent patients in chemical-abuse centers
       85 percent of all youths in prison

As the Web site reported, these statistics apply to African-American homes in disproportionate numbers: “Compared with the 72 percent in our [African-American] communities, 17 percent of Asians, 29 percent of whites, 53 percent of Hispanics and 66 percent of Native Americans were born to unwed mothers in 2008, the most recent year for which government figures are available. The rate for the overall U.S. population was 41 percent.”

There is nothing a government can do to substitute for a missing parent.

So, for all his courage in discussing the emotional and historical context of the Trayvon Martin tragedy, when he ventured into "solutions," our president failed to confront the crucial and vexing problem of African-American children born in fatherless homes.

That's too bad. As a responsible parent himself, the president ought to know the immeasureable value of tough love.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's saving that message for another day.

http://www.jewishjournal.com/suissas_blog/item/what_obama_missed_in_his_trayvon_martin_speech

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: What Obama Missed in his Trayvon Martin Speech
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 10:38:04 AM »
Obama + Mathews + MSNBC + Rush + FOX =

All of them need to STFU about race.  It wasn't a factor in the trial- everyone involved in the trial agreed.

Only those who benefit politically or financially are still talking about race ;)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
Yet libs dercry traditional American values as dated and things to be laughed at. Imagin a country with 1950's values but with equality for everybody..even fags. Patriotism, higher moral fiber...less whiners...less over medicated children and adults....a value on baseline education...hardwork is valued. Instead we have a racebaiting piece of shit president who can't lead or govern out of a wet paperbag on any issue foreign or domestic.
L

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 10:54:38 AM »
Yet libs dercry traditional American values as dated and things to be laughed at. Imagin a country with 1950's values but with equality for everybody..even fags. Patriotism, higher moral fiber...less whiners...less over medicated children and adults....a value on baseline education...hardwork is valued. Instead we have a racebaiting piece of shit president who can't lead or govern out of a wet paperbag on any issue foreign or domestic.

and we reelected him.  And Romney was the best we could do.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 01:03:50 PM »

libs libs libs...

dude, the majority of mainstream media is liberal because it's more fcking profitable.  If conservative viewers (smarter with their $) were to blow every cent like more libs do, then ad revenue would have the bulk of mainstream news sway right.

this whole thing is about money - mainstream media is just like any other tv channel or People mag or CD for sale for download - they sell what people will buy.  Believe me, if more people like Hannity than dancing with the stars, then sean's fat ass would be on primtime NBC, you bet he would.

its' just entertainment - we can't forget that.  media has no obligation to viewers - only stockholders.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 01:18:16 PM »
libs libs libs...

dude, the majority of mainstream media is liberal because it's more fcking profitable.  If conservative viewers (smarter with their $) were to blow every cent like more libs do, then ad revenue would have the bulk of mainstream news sway right.

this whole thing is about money - mainstream media is just like any other tv channel or People mag or CD for sale for download - they sell what people will buy.  Believe me, if more people like Hannity than dancing with the stars, then sean's fat ass would be on primtime NBC, you bet he would.

its' just entertainment - we can't forget that.  media has no obligation to viewers - only stockholders.

The liberal media is a bit of a myth, a boogeyman trotted out to scare people.   Cable news ratings certainly indicate this. The traditional news media apparatus has, for the most part, been dismantled.  With the proliferation of news sources on the Internet, finding a source that caters to ones views is fairly easy.

A person of a liberal or conservative perspective has the ability to avoid all media they disagree with if they chose to.  In fact, any exposure  to alternative view points is usually through their prefer news outlet. And even in this case, they view it through the a lense of bias, condemnation and rebuttal.
A

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 01:23:22 PM »
The liberal media is a bit of a myth, a boogeyman trotted out to scare people.   Cable news ratings certainly indicate this. The traditional news media apparatus has, for the most part, been dismantled.  With the proliferation of news sources on the Internet, finding a source that caters to ones views is fairly easy.

A person of a liberal or conservative perspective has the ability to avoid all media they disagree with if they chose to.  In fact, any exposure  to alternative view points is usually through their prefer news outlet. And even in this case, they view it through the a lense of bias, condemnation and rebuttal.

I dont care if the media is liberal - they reflect the views of the people that'll make them the most profitable.  Believe me, it's all about money, not about 'journalistic integrity'.

If conservative viewers spent twice as much $ as libs, you bet your ass it'd be Bill OReilly on NBC every Tuesday at 8pm :)

However, conservatives tend to trend older (they spend way less sitting in recliner retired - they have less $ and/or need less possessions and the younger viewers of TV spend most of their income on raising kids, buying the big ticket items that the elderly already have.

I DONT UNDERSTAND why viewers don't get this.  If you're 22, the majority of peopel you are age are liberals, and they're spending more $ each week than the average 70 year old who buys bananas and bean sprouts.   So YES, TV programming (including the media) will include that.

It's the sane reason why there are 15 varieties of People and Soap Opera and other bullshit mags, and a lot fewer conservative periodicals.  Everyone gets butthurt over it - but it's just the media companies responding to what their neilsen ratings and shareholders and ads tell them. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 01:26:40 PM »
If you want to fix the "MEDIA BIAS", simply convert 70% of the US population to conservative beliefs.  Watch how fast the lib programming goes out the window when their ad revenue drops!!!

We live in a fcking lib country that barely got bush in twice and gave obama two healthy lead wins.  You live in a liberal country, in case you haven't noticed, so people don't be upset the stuff on the TV happens to line up with majority of viewers beliefs.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 01:30:27 PM »
If you want to fix the "MEDIA BIAS", simply convert 70% of the US population to conservative beliefs.  Watch how fast the lib programming goes out the window when their ad revenue drops!!!

We live in a fcking lib country that barely got bush in twice and gave obama two healthy lead wins.  You live in a liberal country, in case you haven't noticed, so people don't be upset the stuff on the TV happens to line up with majority of viewers beliefs.

I think the best a person can do is try to understand the basis of any view point or ideology and determine for themselves whether what is being said as a rational basis in truth.  I subscribe to numerous magazine.  Some liberal and others libertarian but I never take anything at face value and I am open to a change of opinion if the facts warrant one.
A

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 01:35:29 PM »
I'm not gonna waste my time proving all that bullshit you just spewed is wrong as hell...spending habits, no media bias...liberal country..blah blah balh.....just look at a state by state breakdown of conservative or republican districts, governors and state houses.....the Repubs control 30..the higest majority for either party in over a decade. The dems may loose the senate as well in 2014. The issue is not that crap u spewed...its that Romney was pushed out as our guy...when he was not our guy, he was the machines guy. We are currently having an issue with national elections...based on the candidate chosen. There isn't any issue on a state by state basis. Some states are blue and they trend liberal with gay marriage and all the rest. The shit that comes out of Hollywood is liberal and drives popular culture. The average person is pretty centrist.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 01:38:37 PM »

Romeny was a far more responsible choice than Obama any day of the week.  A man of accomplishment vs a communist criminal terrorist shitbag   

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 01:43:23 PM »
The issue is most people are retards. They want a rock star instead of somebody  who will fix things. On our side we elect safe candidates...fuck that. Go for the brass ring....elect a Reagan and see what happens against a guy like Obama, who only pretends to be smart.
L

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 02:30:56 PM »
Romeny was a far more responsible choice than Obama any day of the week.  A man of accomplishment vs a communist criminal terrorist shitbag   

the lesser of 2 sell outs isn't the answer to America's problems.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 02:37:45 PM »
the lesser of 2 sell outs isn't the answer to America's problems.

No its not - but stemming the tide of insanity like Obama was , is, and will do is a no brainer to anyone w a fucking brain cell.

How utterly stupid and demented can one be to vote for Obama for a 2nd term? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 04:22:20 PM »
I'm not gonna waste my time proving all that bullshit you just spewed is wrong as hell...spending habits, no media bias...liberal country..blah blah balh.....just look at a state by state breakdown of conservative or republican districts, governors and state houses.....the Repubs control 30..the higest majority for either party in over a decade. The dems may loose the senate as well in 2014. The issue is not that crap u spewed...its that Romney was pushed out as our guy...when he was not our guy, he was the machines guy. We are currently having an issue with national elections...based on the candidate chosen. There isn't any issue on a state by state basis. Some states are blue and they trend liberal with gay marriage and all the rest. The shit that comes out of Hollywood is liberal and drives popular culture. The average person is pretty centrist.

see dude - you're stuck in this mindset that the media somehow has an obligation to report what is CORRECT.

Um, THEY DONT!!!   Of course they're full of shit, but so is Oxygen, Oprah Network, TBS, MTV, you name it.

It's like people are getting MAD that a media entertainment channel is saying things they disagree with.  Do you watch BET each day and disagree about which new rapper is the dopest and get mad?  Do you watch VH1 then come on getbig and bitch that their top 10 songs of the 70s was royally fcked up and Led Zep sucks donkey balls?

No.  Then why do you give a shit what a cable entertainment channel says? 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 04:59:57 PM »
No its not - but stemming the tide of insanity like Obama was , is, and will do is a no brainer to anyone w a fucking brain cell.

How utterly stupid and demented can one be to vote for Obama for a 2nd term? 

so you think Romney was the answer?  ::)

Both sell outs from the same side of the fence.  The only reason you support him is because of you hatred and alignment

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 05:49:44 PM »

Both sell outs from the same side of the fence.  The only reason you support him is because of you hatred and alignment
romney would have been much better than obama Oz, that being said he wasnt the answer to the countries problems. We havent had a candidate on either side who had good ideas to actually help the country in my lifetime....

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 05:50:39 PM »

Romney was a better chance at change than Obama who promised 4 more years of bullshit.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 06:42:01 PM »
Romney was a better chance at change than Obama who promised 4 more years of bullshit.   

that's like dating another whore because the whore wife was cheating.

if Repubs keep settling for a guy they hate, dems will keep winning.  Imagine the punk they'll 'settle for' in 2016... half their base will stay home, Hilary wins in a landside.  sickening.

TED CRUZ/ RAND PAUL in 2016.   FTW.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 08:15:50 PM »

Who did you vote for?

Are you another guy like 240 who talks the talk but when it's time to walk the walk you back out?

I voted for Gary Johnson. I did my part. I'm guessing you're another one of those "Well..........I'd vote third party but then it wouldn't count so I'm going to make a big fuss out of voting for <insert GOP/DEM guy here> but in the end I'll vote the same way I always have" types.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 04:21:10 PM »
romney would have been much better than obama Oz, that being said he wasnt the answer to the countries problems. We havent had a candidate on either side who had good ideas to actually help the country in my lifetime....

Much?   Doubt it, same old crap, different ass. 

Do you think he would have NOT signed the NDAA?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 04:28:06 PM »
Much?   Doubt it, same old crap, different ass. 

Do you think he would have NOT signed the NDAA?
oh absolutely I think he would have, he is a big govt republican...

that being said he would have been much better for the economy in general especially longer term

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 04:50:14 PM »
The entire topic of this thread is based on a false premise.

Obama doesn't give a fuck about Trayvon Martin.

Obama doesn't give a fuck about George Zimmerman.

Obama doesn't give a fuck about black on black crime, dead black teenagers, the dead and buried black family or the woefully pathetic state of affairs for black Americans as an economic bloc.

Obama doesn't give a fuck about bringing American's together.

Obama doesn't give a fuck about the United States as a whole.

Here is the gameplan:

Divide and conquer, convince your uneducated, unemployed- mostly irrelevant and easily manipulated black voting base to get off the couch and  cause trouble in the street, distract from administration corruption and incompetence by misdirecting the attention of the public, give another idiotic speech filled with empty platitudes and hackneyed hallmark card catchphrases and sit back as the Liberal- Elitist sycophants in the press do all the legwork by lending credence to your latest 99 cent store, teleprompter guided pissfest.

As the mainstream media praises, analyzes and muses over another intellectually and morally bankrupt diatribe, Obama is off to his next 5th year reelection campaign speech. The "new" agenda seems oddly familiar: The pathetic (but rapidly improving!) state of the country is "the new normal" and as it turns out, this "new normal" is totally unrelated to the policies of Barack Obama. Any suggestion to the contrary is racist. Republican's are to blame. Stare blankly into the camera and Speakkkkkkkkk veryyyyyyyy slowlyyyyyy like aaaa wetaaaaaaaard as you stressssssssssss to growwwwww economy from middle out not top downnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Repeat.