Author Topic: "Competing" after high school.  (Read 1728 times)

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
"Competing" after high school.
« on: July 25, 2013, 07:10:02 PM »
This is something I never cared much about.  If you didn't make it to the NFL, just accept it and move on. Especially when it comes to an activity that requires no skill and lots of drugs, like bbing.
Unless you have a legitimate chance at making a profit from competing, what's the point?  The praise of schmoes and a $5 trophy for your county fair?  Seems strange to me.  I don't think too many corporate executives are "competing" in local shows.  It's almost like having something to prove and validating gym efforts...but not even your own, drug ridden ones even.
Do a juggling completion or showcase some artwork, play an instrument.
Anytime someone would ask, "Do you compete?"  I'd think to myself...wtf would I do that.  I played baseball in high school...never went pro, then moved on....haha
N

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
Re: "Competing" after high school.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 07:46:12 PM »
Good post...Agreed...

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 08:37:17 PM »
X3

Even after 2nd year in high school if you're not a starter in your sport it's a waste of time. Get a job and learn useful shit.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 10:00:16 PM »
X3

Even after 2nd year in high school if you're not a starter in your sport it's a waste of time. Get a job and learn useful shit.

I think Michael Jordan would disagree with you on that point.

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 10:20:01 PM »
No, he should have quit basketball and been something useful...like a doctor.
At the end of the day, it's just dunking a basketball....regardless of the fans.
haha...true, but a joke.
N

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 03:10:00 AM »

Slightly misleading is that Jordan was the best player in his age year every age of high school, he just didnt make the varsity as a freshman.

The Italian Lifter

• Getbig IV
  • I need an English dictionary!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 03:22:06 AM »
This is something I never cared much about.  If you didn't make it to the NFL, just accept it and move on. Especially when it comes to an activity that requires no skill and lots of drugs, like bbing.
Unless you have a legitimate chance at making a profit from competing, what's the point?  The praise of schmoes and a $5 trophy for your county fair?  Seems strange to me.  I don't think too many corporate executives are "competing" in local shows.  It's almost like having something to prove and validating gym efforts...but not even your own, drug ridden ones even.
Do a juggling completion or showcase some artwork, play an instrument.
Anytime someone would ask, "Do you compete?"  I'd think to myself...wtf would I do that.  I played baseball in high school...never went pro, then moved on....haha

this is one of the best post i ever read.
guess for the majority of people going for the plastic trophy road is an ego thing but if they are happy who am i to judge?
North of Italy

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 03:30:25 AM »
this is one of the best post i ever read.
guess for the majority of people going for the plastic trophy road is an ego thing but if they are happy who am i to judge?

You told me one of my posts was the best you ever read???

I'm going to kill myself now

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 03:45:46 AM »

I've put back the "Huge Muscle Bears" 1993 june edition under your bed. You can find some comfort in that maybe.

SmallPole

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 03:59:39 AM »
taking into consideration that this is a bodybuliding forum, there's an awful lot of posters belittleing the 'sport'

why do you even come here? ::)

everybody in their right mind gets how fucked this often is, but i'd say people do it simply because they love it, they love the lifestyle and everything that goes with it

obviously most aren't expecting to make a living off of it; i think it's really stupid to say only insecure idiots compete

The Italian Lifter

• Getbig IV
  • I need an English dictionary!
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 05:02:22 AM »

lolz Big, don't say so
if you feel a little depressed follow my advice: i read a tbombz thread
North of Italy

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 10:31:20 AM »

But would Michael Jordan's father be alive today if Michael was a doctor?

The Oracle

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 12:13:54 PM »
taking into consideration that this is a bodybuliding forum, there's an awful lot of posters belittleing the 'sport'

why do you even come here? ::)

everybody in their right mind gets how fucked this often is, but i'd say people do it simply because they love it, they love the lifestyle and everything that goes with it

obviously most aren't expecting to make a living off of it; i think it's really stupid to say only insecure idiots compete

Agreed. A lot of posters seem to hate the activity called bodybuilding, so why be here

As for competition, I have bicycle raced from age 14 till present (over 30 years) . I love competition. I never made pro, but the activity has kept me fit and motivated. I don't race for plastic trophies though. I always go for the races that have metal ones. And a few hundred bucks tossed in for good measure, lol