Author Topic: Guys that could/should have been WWE/World Champ that never were  (Read 8813 times)

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
I can think of several good candidates.

Jake The Snake

Mr. Perfect

Million Dollar Man

You could make the argument that these guys were over already and did not need to be champion, but Million Dollar Man especially would have been a good champ IMO.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
Re: Guys that could/should have been WWE/World Champ that never were
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 01:54:49 PM »
Great choices, how do you top them?! How about.......

Davey Boy (i thought vader would drop it to him in WCW but never happened)

Owen Hart - great talent

Arn Anderson - stuck in Flair's shadow

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 07:28:14 AM »
this guy
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 08:20:16 AM »
Great choices, how do you top them?! How about.......

Davey Boy (i thought vader would drop it to him in WCW but never happened)

Owen Hart - great talent

Arn Anderson - stuck in Flair's shadow

Davey was supposedly in line to get the WCW belt, but those plans were scrapped pending the bar incident in which he "attacked" a young guy who harassed Diana.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 08:23:24 AM »
I always would have liked to have seen Andre have a lengthy title reign. Maybe Vonce never saw the need since the WM III program was a huge success, and Andre was having bigger health problems by that time.

Still, I wonder how Andre would have done as champ in the 70's.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 09:40:08 AM »
Also - and I may catch some shit for this, but I'm being honest - I've always believed that Owen Hart was a bit overrated. Yes, he was talented, but he didn't exactly do anything that plenty of other guys could do and/or have done. He was a good hand in the ring, but don't forget that he also seriously botched a spot with Austin that almost cut short Steve's ring career, and caused him a lot of lingering health problems.

I suspect a part of of Owen's glorification comes from his unfortunate and untimely passing.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 09:42:12 AM »
I can think of several good candidates.

Jake The Snake

Mr. Perfect

Million Dollar Man

You could make the argument that these guys were over already and did not need to be champion, but Million Dollar Man especially would have been a good champ IMO.

It sounded as if Hennig was headed in that direction, but his back problems and eventual WWF departure shot those plans up the ass.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 10:15:48 AM »
I agree in that Owen wasnt anything out of the ordinary but he was placed in storylines with an incredible amount of heat on him and i thought a title reign would have capped them. Why have him beat Bret at WM X only for Bret to later win the title and Owen to disappear? It wouldnt have been 100% fitting but to me it would have made sense to let him run with it for a month or 2 at that time.

A healthy Hennig would have been champion no doubt, but still wears that IC title better than anyone in history.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 12:52:22 PM »
I agree in that Owen wasnt anything out of the ordinary but he was placed in storylines with an incredible amount of heat on him and i thought a title reign would have capped them. Why have him beat Bret at WM X only for Bret to later win the title and Owen to disappear? It wouldnt have been 100% fitting but to me it would have made sense to let him run with it for a month or 2 at that time.

A healthy Hennig would have been champion no doubt, but still wears that IC title better than anyone in history.

According to Bret, Pat Patterson was a major factor in holding Owen back. Supposedly, Pat never thought Owen could carry a bigger ball, and Bret found this out incidentally years later.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 01:08:08 PM »
Curt wore the I-C belt the same way Flair wore the NWA title in regards to the prestige they brought to the belts. Both men looked like champions, and looked like a gold belt should be worn around their waists.

Savage was similar.

I never cared for guys who carried the belt to the ring with them. I know that, for some guys like Austin, it was in accordance with the character, but it still never sat right with me - dragging a championship belt on the ground behind you.

How many of you remember that the original "Attitude Era" heavyweight title strap was blue? It didn't last long, though. Austin beat the hell out of that belt dragging it, throwing it, spilling beer on it. It soon stained to the point the leather appeared black. After changing the WWF logo from the block to scratch lettering, they modified the buckles and switched to a black strap.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 01:50:23 PM »
Curt wore the I-C belt the same way Flair wore the NWA title in regards to the prestige they brought to the belts. Both men looked like champions, and looked like a gold belt should be worn around their waists.

Savage was similar.

I never cared for guys who carried the belt to the ring with them. I know that, for some guys like Austin, it was in accordance with the character, but it still never sat right with me - dragging a championship belt on the ground behind you.

How many of you remember that the original "Attitude Era" heavyweight title strap was blue? It didn't last long, though. Austin beat the hell out of that belt dragging it, throwing it, spilling beer on it. It soon stained to the point the leather appeared black. After changing the WWF logo from the block to scratch lettering, they modified the buckles and switched to a black strap.
couldn't agree more guys should wear the belt as a belt, i've always said that. for some guys just add the extension in as big show did when he won a belt and actually wore it around his ample waist.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 03:01:31 PM »
couldn't agree more guys should wear the belt as a belt, i've always said that. for some guys just add the extension in as big show did when he won a belt and actually wore it around his ample waist.

The only time it seemed permissible to carry/hold the belt was when a guy came out to cut a promo in a suit as Flair often did, or if his manager held the title while the champ worked the mic.

I also liked when Flair would prop the belt up on the podium while Schiavone or Crockett interviewed him.

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 11:48:26 AM »
1. Ricky steamboat
2. Arn Ànderson
3. Scott hall
4. Don muraco
5. Big John stud
6. Kevin vonerich
7. Michael hayes
8. Ron Simmons
9. Brian pillman
10. Rick rude

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 01:22:27 PM »
Rude (NWA), Simmons & Steamboat (also NWA) were all world champions in WCW which could discard them from the list. Whilst Simmons' reign was a novelty, Steamboat was always putting over Flair and Rude was always second fiddle to Sting. When Ride was IC champ he was always putting over Warrior, could have been brilliant as he generated an intense amount of heat.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 04:35:03 PM »
Rude (NWA), Simmons & Steamboat (also NWA) were all world champions in WCW which could discard them from the list. Whilst Simmons' reign was a novelty, Steamboat was always putting over Flair and Rude was always second fiddle to Sting. When Ride was IC champ he was always putting over Warrior, could have been brilliant as he generated an intense amount of heat.

Oh, I thought the topic was limited to guys who should have been WWF champion. Regardless, did anyone wonder how they never put the big belt on Harley Race, with his storied history in the NWA especially?

Of course, we know now why the old man probably never gave Harley that spot, but even back then, you knew it wasn't in the cards as soon as they gave him that cheesy "King" gimmick" and put him in a Mania program with Junk Yard Dog.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 06:11:19 AM »

Savage was similar.

I could not agree more.
It also bothers me when I see guys carry the belt through the ring ropes. That it not proper wrestling etiquette. The belt should always be put on the ring apron when going through the ropes

vascsurgeon

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 12:15:41 PM »

I could not agree more.
It also bothers me when I see guys carry the belt through the ring ropes. That it not proper wrestling etiquette. The belt should always be put on the ring apron when going through the ropes

I liked when Graham would carry the belt like he was to cool to wear it
lol

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 11:50:07 PM »
Lance Storm.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 02:13:04 AM »
Lance Storm.

Many here know that I'm a big Lance Storm mark, but I don't think he deserved the WWF title. He was a great ring worker, but didn't have the total package. I honestly don't believe his mic skills were strong enough, and he simply wasn't marketable enough, IMO.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 02:57:33 AM »

Many here know that I'm a big Lance Storm mark, but I don't think he deserved the WWF title. He was a great ring worker, but didn't have the total package. I honestly don't believe his mic skills were strong enough, and he simply wasn't marketable enough, IMO.

Totally agree. Have to disagree with previous post...PS Hayes...cmon now..Owen didn't have the total it factor. His promos were decent but somewhat felt forced and not organic.

I think Rude would be a great champion and would be phenomenal in todays product. Arn is a good choice but not sure he would truly be able to outshine Ric.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 03:21:14 AM »
Also not saying he shouldn't have been champ, but I felt Goldberg got the title way too soon.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 05:17:06 AM »
Also not saying he shouldn't have been champ, but I felt Goldberg got the title way too soon.

I have always been very vocal about Goldberg just getting shit handed to him and not having to work for it. It bothers me when hard working guys get looked over and somebody like Goldberg who wasn't passionate about wrestling gets stuff handed to him.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2013, 05:24:23 AM »
Totally agree. Have to disagree with previous post...PS Hayes...cmon now..Owen didn't have the total it factor. His promos were decent but somewhat felt forced and not organic.

I think Rude would be a great champion and would be phenomenal in todays product. Arn is a good choice but not sure he would truly be able to outshine Ric.

I LOVED Rude's ECW work towards the end of his life. I think that was poising him for one last great run. The climate at that time was perfect for what he was doing!

R.I.P., Rick...

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2013, 11:04:55 AM »
Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2013, 01:03:53 PM »
Superfly Jimmy Snuka

I honestly believe Snuka was heir to the throne before the old man brought Hogan back to the Fed. Muracco was in a similar boat, IMO.