Author Topic: Wow. The leftist media lapdogs of Obama hit new lows. Editors being fired now  (Read 2568 times)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Times Free Press Editorial Page Editor Fired For Writing This Headline

Free Press editorial page editor no longer with Times Free Press — TFP

Free Press editor Drew Johnson has been terminated after placing a headline on an editorial outside of normal editing procedures.

Johnson’s headline, “Take your jobs plan and shove it, Mr. President: Your policies have harmed Chattanooga enough,” appeared on the Free Press page Tuesday, the day President Barack Obama visited the city.

The headline was inappropriate for this newspaper. It was not the original headline approved for publication, and Johnson violated the normal editing process when he changed the headline. The newspaper’s decision to terminate Johnson had nothing to do with the content of the editorial, which criticized the president’s job creation ideas and Chattanooga’s Smart Grid. The Free Press page has often printed editorials critical of the president and his policies.

The Chattanooga Times Free Press is unique in that it has two editorial pages, the conservative Free Press page and the liberal Times page. This newspaper places high value on expressions of divergent opinion, but will not permit violations of its standards.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/guy-times-f/

Hahaha, what a sad, sick joke our media has become. No bias there.  ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
poor little baby barack needs his mommy to cover for him soiling his diaper

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
He wasn't fired for what he wrote.  He was fired because he broke procedure to do it.
He knew the headline he wanted wouldn't get thru, so, he changed it.

" It was not the original headline approved for publication, and Johnson violated the normal editing process when he changed the headline."

That being said, his defense of "but it got a lot of hits" is kinda crap.   I mean, bin laden could make a sex tape and it'd get a lot of hits, doesn't mean it's awesome or anything.  THis dude wanted to make a political statement, and got away with it.  And he'll get a great gig with the local conservative newspaper now, probably with a raise.  But he can't complain that he was fired, he knew it could/would happen for pirnting something not approved.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
He wasn't fired for what he wrote.  He was fired because he broke procedure to do it.

" It was not the original headline approved for publication, and Johnson violated the normal editing process when he changed the headline."

That being said, his defense of "but it got a lot of hits" is kinda crap.   I mean, bin laden could make a sex tape and it'd get a lot of hits, doesn't mean it's awesome or anything.  THis dude wanted to make a political statement, and got away with it.  And he'll get a great gig with the local conservative newspaper now, probably with a raise.  But he can't complain that he was fired, he knew it could/would happen for pirnting something not approved.

God forbid anyone really print what people are actually feeling about this disgusting communist treasonous ghetto beast in the WH right?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
God forbid anyone really print what people are actually feeling about this disgusting communist treasonous ghetto beast in the WH right?

I'm fine with him writing it, I can't disagree.  But the minute THAT is okay, it'll be okay for the racist idiot in the mail room to change headline to something illegal, inflammatory, whatever.  The paper actually has super liberal and super conservative sections, too.  Sounds like this dude just wanted to make headlines.

Which is cool.

But don't complain, ya know?  He's a national rock start with repubs now.  But he shit all over his bosses to do it.  33, surely you can take the emotion out of it and agree?  If some dickhead took over the teleprompter from FOX news and wrote some shit about "Obama is awesome", you'd want him fired too, right?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I think that the press should hold every politician accountable to their bullshit.  The media has barely said a word about the failed treasonous Obama junta so far. 

I'm fine with him writing it, I can't disagree.  But the minute THAT is okay, it'll be okay for the racist idiot in the mail room to change headline to something illegal, inflammatory, whatever.  The paper actually has super liberal and super conservative sections, too.  Sounds like this dude just wanted to make headlines.

Which is cool.

But don't complain, ya know?  He's a national rock start with repubs now.  But he shit all over his bosses to do it.  33, surely you can take the emotion out of it and agree?  If some dickhead took over the teleprompter from FOX news and wrote some shit about "Obama is awesome", you'd want him fired too, right?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

come on now Rob, do you really expect the moron who started this thread to actually read the story he himself posted and to actually understand it ?

Fury

• Getbig V

Did he really break procedure? He was the editor of that page. I'm guessing he doesn't need to run every headline through someone else. That's the point of being the editor of that page.  ::)

You're as much of a fucking lapdog as these twats in the media.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Did he really break procedure? He was the editor of that page. I'm guessing he doesn't need to run every headline through someone else. That's the point of being the editor of that page.  ::)

You're as much of a fucking lapdog as these twats in the media.

???  Yes, he really did break procedure, and he doesn't even deny it.  His defense is "well, it got good numbers, what are you complaining about?"

He got one headline approved, and then he ran another one - the same day obama was visiting - that was (although highly accurate) very inflammatory and negative.

SO yeah, he really did break procedure.  The editor needs to get headline approved by bosses, and he didn't get that one cleared - everyone agrees there.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
???  Yes, he really did break procedure, and he doesn't even deny it.  His defense is "well, it got good numbers, what are you complaining about?"

He got one headline approved, and then he ran another one - the same day obama was visiting - that was (although highly accurate) very inflammatory and negative.

SO yeah, he really did break procedure.  The editor needs to get headline approved by bosses, and he didn't get that one cleared - everyone agrees there.

and he loses his job - funny you didn't hold Obama to the same standard during his first term when he broke laws and commit crimes. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V

and he loses his job - funny you didn't hold Obama to the same standard during his first term when he broke laws and commit crimes. 

oh, because I never said he should be impeached?

lol

face it, i've called for impeachment for years, while "repubs" on getbig have said that's not necessary.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
The Nazis applied pressure to have journalists and editors fired or beat in the early days, then they just started shutting papers down all together.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
If he was fired for his political beliefs, I'd be pissed too.

He was pissed because he broke procedure on a major headline on a major day - LIED to his superiors, changed a headline.  I mean, you're the editor of one portion of newspaper, you get things approved by your boss. 

I guess I don't understand that outrage.  He didn't write this on his front lawn - He commandeered a headline in a newpaper and made all his bosses look like shit.  That's different... I think most of us can take the emotion out of it and see it that way, right?  Dude gave his bosses the finger and made them look stupid.

Desolate

• Getbig V
  • I dream of Gods
The newspaper’s decision to terminate Johnson had nothing to do with the content of the editorial

Sure. ::)

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor

No. Write it, but do so according to the procedures in place at your work place. Or do you really believe that a business cannot set the rules by which it wants its employees to behave and then discipline the employees who break those rules?

Careful what you answer...

Fury

• Getbig V

He claims that the policy did not exist until people complained about his headline and then it was applied retroactively, lapdog.

avxo

• Getbig V
He claims that the policy did not exist until people complained about his headline and then it was applied retroactively, lapdog.

If true, that's something entirely different. But, just out of curiosity, if there was such a policy in effect before this incident and he did violate it, do you believe his employer would be justified in firing him?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Im interested in what procedure he broke... after all, he was the editor, and he was editing the title.... things that make you go hmmm...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Im interested in what procedure he broke... after all, he was the editor, and he was editing the title.... things that make you go hmmm...

I read that the policy was implemented after he changed the headline.  

avxo

• Getbig V

Typically, a newspaper has more than one editor and a clearly defined hierarchy. Additionally, newspapers often have standing rules against certain kinds of words being used in the title. I don't know the details here, but I'm sure we'll find out more as this drags on (as it inevitably will).

But personally, this doesn't really make me go "hmmm". And to be honest, I found the title to be in poor taste anyways - just more of the typical inflammatory rhetoric that contributes to hyper-polarization and poisons our political environment.