Author Topic: Seattle officials call for ban on 'potentially offensive' language  (Read 579 times)

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
Insane-but not surprising in the age of political correctness and fear of evoking “unpleasant emotions”.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/08/02/seattle-officials-call-for-ban-on-potentially-offensive-language/

In an interview with Seattle's KIRO Radio, Bronstein said the term "brown bag" has been used historically as a way to judge skin color.

[...]

Bronstein told KIRO Radio the word "citizen" should be avoided because many people who live in Seattle are residents, not citizens.

[...]

The New York Post reported in March 2012 that the city’s Department of Education avoids references to words like “dinosaurs,” “birthdays,” “Halloween” and dozens of other topics on city-issued tests because they could evoke “unpleasant emotions” among the students.

Dinosaurs, for example, conjures the topic of evolution, which could rile fundamentalists and birthdays are not celebrated by Jehovah’s Witnesses. Halloween, meanwhile, suggests an affiliation to Paganism.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Re: Seattle officials call for ban on 'potentially offensive' language
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 03:02:57 PM »
Fucking king county.... that shithole is always trying to push their yuppy extremist liberalism on the rest of the state.... dont get me started on thoae pretentious asshats

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 02:48:24 AM »
The title of the original FOX article is a little misleading, at least if the text of the article is to believed. This seems to be an effort to change the vocabulary the City of Seattle uses. Which is perfectly acceptable. City officials can choose to do so, and they can decide how politically correct they want the city to be and what words to use and not to use.

They don't seem to want to limit the words that the public at large can use. Only those who are employed by the city and, then, only in their official capacity.

If they wanted to limit what citizens could say, well it's quite clear that would be a non-starter, but even such a thing, somehow passed, it would be null and void anyways because of the Supremacy Clause.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 10:39:49 AM »
I'm somewhat concerned about the so-called "hate ads" that have been popping up on public transit, etc., because it makes me wonder if someone is trying to force hands in regard to free speech. 

Without a doubt, if things continue to move down the same path with rights-theft, speech will become threatened.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 11:53:00 AM »
I'm somewhat concerned about the so-called "hate ads" that have been popping up on public transit, etc., because it makes me wonder if someone is trying to force hands in regard to free speech. 

Without a doubt, if things continue to move down the same path with rights-theft, speech will become threatened.
Agreed... it seems like they're using hate speech as a way to start the slow march down the road towards putting limits on freedom of speech... same with giving up liberties in the name of "security".... they've found a way to rally the people into giving up their own self interests in order to "protect themselves/others"

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 02:06:05 PM »
Agreed... it seems like they're using hate speech as a way to start the slow march down the road towards putting limits on freedom of speech... same with giving up liberties in the name of "security".... they've found a way to rally the people into giving up their own self interests in order to "protect themselves/others"

I totally agree.  It's theft by deception.  This shit is dangerous to all good people.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 02:06:55 PM »
It's like having a precious thing that you need to protect at all cost, but it turns out the cost has been the thing, itself.  

It doesn't make sense.

Things are definitely not as they seem.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 06:15:41 PM »
This is really dumb.  Trampling all over the First Amendment.  I understand the need to be PC to a degree, but this kind of censorship is absurd.