Author Topic: So today my lcd monitor died...  (Read 1141 times)

Natural Man

• Getbig V
So today my lcd monitor died...
« on: August 03, 2013, 09:19:49 PM »
it was a LG Flatron L1715S , old piece of crap from 2007 or 2008 I bought used 3 months ago. IN REPLACEMENT OF A PREVIOUS samsung syncmaster953 bw flat screen that only lasted three years after i bought it new. Basically it s always the same shit happening; some capacitors or other components designed to fail indeed fail at some point and you screen goes black after you push the power button ; you re in general warned some weeks before it happens when the screen starts to flicker a litlle. I tried to open both screens but they re made so you can barely open them and reach the capacitors or other components to replace easily. I bought a quality soldering iron to repair some electronic toys and a pair of studio monitors. Capacitors you can buy them online for cheap; in fact due to planned obsolescence as most of you know it manufacturers ALL put components that are designed to fail in all our electronics so at some point , some months after the warranty ends, your piece of crap doesnt work anymore so you buy a new one.. and you either trash them , they re recycled in a minority of cases, or some assholes in a computer store is going to repair them and sell them again for 50 bucks.
With some patience and a soldering iron , you can find tutorials online and repair your crap yourself.. Big brands are supposed to use slightly better quality components so their products are "supposed" on paper to last longer than cheaper stuff that uses cheaper components...but whether you buy cheap or expensive electronics, THEY RE ALL ONE WAY OR ANOTHER MADE TO FAIL AFTER SOME TIMES, WILLINGLY! They could make them so they last 20 years, but no.

Sick of that crap, I decided to forget about flat lcd monitors , and find the best solution; i got myself two... HUGE HEAVY FUCKING 19" CRT SCREENS for...20 bucks both :o (you know with the square 4/3 screen ratio) , they consume a lot more (90 watts instead of 35/40 for an lcd) , hurt a bit my eyes -they emit way more radiations than lcd screens- but i fixed it by increasing the refresh rate to 85hz. Picture quality is crisp at all resolutions, dark is actually really dark and the real reason why i went that road; crts can last 10 to 30 years.

What a world we re living in we have to find and use stuff made 15,20 years ago if we want it to last more than 3 or 5 years?

I'm looking at the 40 inches flat tv in the living room...thinking how dumb this thing will look once it doesnt work anymore.

bbing related cause lifting and carrying these crt screens was quite a workout..

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
Re: So today my lcd monitor died...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 09:24:46 PM »
girls and sons...

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 10:11:25 PM »
LOL

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 10:18:01 PM »
Choose life...family Christmas...clean gutters, looking ahead
Y

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 10:18:17 PM »
Maybe it's spine broke.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 10:19:13 PM »
LCDs and Plasmas...

Girls and Sons...

;D

Z Father

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 10:25:37 PM »
you would think someone as enlightened as Uberman would eschew these superfluous trappings of modern society, clearly designed to pacify the multitude.

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 10:27:07 PM »
you would think someone as enlightened as Uberman would eschew these superfluous trappings of modern society, clearly designed to pacify the multitude.

Thesaurus.com is so fucking weak brah
Y

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 10:32:48 PM »
Well he did give up his Steam account a good while ago.  So thats got to count for something. :-\

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 10:36:26 PM »
it was a LG Flatron L1715S , old piece of crap from 2007 or 2008 I bought used 3 months ago. IN REPLACEMENT OF A PREVIOUS samsung syncmaster953 bw flat screen that only lasted three years after i bought it new. Basically it s always the same shit happening; some capacitors or other components designed to fail indeed fail at some point and you screen goes black after you push the power button ; you re in general warned some weeks before it happens when the screen starts to flicker a litlle. I tried to open both screens but they re made so you can barely open them and reach the capacitors or other components to replace easily. I bought a quality soldering iron to repair some electronic toys and a pair of studio monitors. Capacitors you can buy them online for cheap; in fact due to planned obsolescence as most of you know it manufacturers ALL put components that are designed to fail in all our electronics so at some point , some months after the warranty ends, your piece of crap doesnt work anymore so you buy a new one.. and you either trash them , they re recycled in a minority of cases, or some assholes in a computer store is going to repair them and sell them again for 50 bucks.
With some patience and a soldering iron , you can find tutorials online and repair your crap yourself.. Big brands are supposed to use slightly better quality components so their products are "supposed" on paper to last longer than cheaper stuff that uses cheaper components...but whether you buy cheap or expensive electronics, THEY RE ALL ONE WAY OR ANOTHER MADE TO FAIL AFTER SOME TIMES, WILLINGLY! They could make them so they last 20 years, but no.

Sick of that crap, I decided to forget about flat lcd monitors , and find the best solution; i got myself two... HUGE HEAVY FUCKING 19" CRT SCREENS for...20 bucks both :o (you know with the square 4/3 screen ratio) , they consume a lot more (90 watts instead of 35/40 for an lcd) , hurt a bit my eyes -they emit way more radiations than lcd screens- but i fixed it by increasing the refresh rate to 85hz. Picture quality is crisp at all resolutions, dark is actually really dark and the real reason why i went that road; crts can last 10 to 30 years.

What a world we re living in we have to find and use stuff made 15,20 years ago if we want it to last more than 3 or 5 years?

I'm looking at the 40 inches flat tv in the living room...thinking how dumb this thing will look once it doesnt work anymore.

bbing related cause lifting and carrying these crt screens was quite a workout..
I got all the old crt's you want how many you want me to send you? But true the old crt's are much more reliable as many things made awhile ago in our world. Been in IT/Computers awhile.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 10:39:35 PM »

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 10:40:31 PM »
I got all the old crt's you want how many you want me to send you? But true the old crt's are much more reliable as many things made awhile ago in our world.
You can`t get HD resolution or 1920x1200 out of an old CRT.  CRT is a good back up for when the shit hits the fan and you are stuck without any display, but other than that its kind of like suffering when you don`t have to.

LCD`s are incredibly easy to repair actually.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 10:50:24 PM »
You can`t get HD resolution or 1920x1200 out of an old CRT.  CRT is a good back up for when the shit hits the fan and you are stuck without any display, but other than that its kind of like suffering when you don`t have to.

LCD`s are incredibly easy to repair actually.
True on resolution but as uberman said more reliable. I got a bunch of them as backup being into computer repair I need to throw some out into the trash.

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 11:16:46 PM »

Capacitors aren't exactly designed to fail, they have been used at least last hundred years, but then chinese start to copy them. That happen somewhere between 1997 -2002, and it is called to "capacitor plague". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague. After that you really have to know what you are buying, because those are everywhere. Computers, cars, radios, aeroplanes, toasters, digibox, modems, you name it, and it is there. LG is notorius user of them and there is many "quality" brands dealing those fuckers. Only last few years japanese capacitors have rise to be an object which is pointed out in adverts. For example, I have used EIZO- flat screens for year after year, and they never fail.

Rule of thumb is easy: If you buy cheap, what you get is cheap. Cheap is never good. That's why you need a. money or b. you have to be clever enough to study what you are buying. I have seen this shit happen also in my work, where 160 out of 200 Dell computers did have this plague. It was furious fight, but at the end they change more than 180 motherboards during one year, before we trash those old machines and get new ones. 180 mobo's because they have to change some of them twice, because new ones also has that plague. And by the way, what is LG anyway? It seem to be high end manufacture, but do you remember electronics of Gold Star from eighties? Radios and TV-sets which were selling in to service stations and low-cost stores? LG = Lucky-Goldstar, el cheapo from south korea.  They have rise the profile of the company, but not have been able ro rise the quality.

Z Father

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 11:25:03 PM »
Thesaurus.com is so fucking weak brah

sorry.....but I just wrote that off the top of my head.  I didn't realize knowing proper English requires research.

it being "wordy" was intentional....and kinda the point  ;)

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2013, 11:38:01 PM »
Capacitors aren't exactly designed to fail, they have been used at least last hundred years, but then chinese start to copy them. That happen somewhere between 1997 -2002, and it is called to "capacitor plague". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague. After that you really have to know what you are buying, because those are everywhere. Computers, cars, radios, aeroplanes, toasters, digibox, modems, you name it, and it is there. LG is notorius user of them and there is many "quality" brands dealing those fuckers. Only last few years japanese capacitors have rise to be an object which is pointed out in adverts. For example, I have used EIZO- flat screens for year after year, and they never fail.

Rule of thumb is easy: If you buy cheap, what you get is cheap. Cheap is never good. That's why you need a. money or b. you have to be clever enough to study what you are buying. I have seen this shit happen also in my work, where 160 out of 200 Dell computers did have this plague. It was furious fight, but at the end they change more than 180 motherboards during one year, before we trash those old machines and get new ones. 180 mobo's because they have to change some of them twice, because new ones also has that plague. And by the way, what is LG anyway? It seem to be high end manufacture, but do you remember electronics of Gold Star from eighties? Radios and TV-sets which were selling in to service stations and low-cost stores? LG = Lucky-Goldstar, el cheapo from south korea.  They have rise the profile of the company, but not have been able ro rise the quality.
I obviously knew about the capacitor plague, but the problem is that it s not "just" about that, planned obsolescence also includes other components in other home appliances; plastic/metal pieces that are designed to fail and not be replaced, it's not just in electronics even if they are the more obvious being designed to fail quicker than other bigger appliances. The rule of thumb isnt worth shit anymore, as even "good brands" design their stuff to fail; a good brand screen will last 5 years max, a cheap one only 2. You re still getting assfucked as a consumer, paying way too much for something that should last twice if not three time longer.
It's all fun and games until the microwave, washing machine, dryer tv and fridge all fail too. Oh well.

Now what about the amount of food in bags, boxes and cans that s getting smaller and smaller while the price didnt change? All of this smells fishy.

Z Father

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2013, 11:43:43 PM »
I obviously knew about the capacitor plague, but the problem is that it s not "just" about that, planned obsolescence also includes other components in other home appliances; plastic/metal pieces that are designed to fail and not be replaced, it's not just in electronics even if they are the more obvious being designed to fail quicker than other bigger appliances.
It's all fun and games until the microwave, washing machine, dryer tv and fridge all fail too. Oh well.

I have to agree. I had the same phone for a year and a half. my upgrade was in July....but I said fuck it, and was just going to keep my phone and enough with the cell phone shit. it worked perfectly and was in fine condition.....july 27 my phone won't charge anymore...dead. and now I have a new phone.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2013, 11:46:10 PM »
I have to agree. I had the same phone for a year and a half. my upgrade was in July....but I said fuck it, and was just going to keep my phone and enough with the cell phone shit. it worked perfectly and was in fine condition.....july 27 my phone won't charge anymore...dead. and now I have a new phone.
Agreed to hell with every new cell I'll keep mine old until it dies.

AVBG

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2013, 11:48:12 PM »
Whatever solution you decide upon? Please don't slash your wrists  :D

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2013, 11:48:58 PM »
yeah batteries are even another matter / chore. I dont buy/use anything that has a battery in it anymore , i only own an old reliable camera (that i had to open to fix/solder btw) that require one. What about memory cards, SD, MMC etc, flash drives, usb dongles that die after two years of use...I had that 4gb kingston SD card I didnt even use for two years and when i finally had a use for it it would not work even if i kept it well stored and all. A very fragile technological world we re living in.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2013, 12:00:40 AM »
yeah batteries are even another matter / chore. I dont buy/use anything that has a battery in it anymore , i only own an old reliable camera (that i had to open to fix/solder btw). What about memory cards, SD, MMC etc, flash drives, usb dongles that die after two years of use...I had that 4gb kingston SD card I didnt even use for two years and when i finally had a use for it it would not work even if i kept it well stored and all. A very fragile technological world we re living in.
I have a list of broken shit too from the past few months.

Just two days ago, my Power Source for one of my CPU`s busted a capacitor.  My Stihl Weed Eater decided last week that it did not like its carburetor anymore, the check valve inside was stuck and ruined.  Apparently Ethanol gas is the culprit.  I have only used this particular Weed Eater 4 times total and the carb can`t handle it.  I was using Stihl`s mix in with the ethanol based gas even.

A week before that one of my lawnmowers blade deck bent just a fraction but threw off the blade rotation causing excessive shaking which in turn rattled the head loose and stripped the spark plug housing.  The mower had already been sent back twice to the manufacturer for repairs and its less than two years old.  It was the top of the line until they pulled it due to too many problems.  Its no longer under warranty and is useless to me now.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2013, 12:01:40 AM »
I have a list of broken shit too from the past few months.

Just two days ago, my Power Source for one of my CPU`s busted a capacitor.  My Stihl Weed Eater decided last week that it did not like its carburetor anymore, the check valve inside was stuck and ruined.  Apparently Ethanol gas is the culprit.  I have only used this particular Weed Eater 4 times total and the carb can`t handle it.  I was using Stihl`s mix in with the ethanol based gas even.

A week before that one of my lawnmowers blade deck bent just a fraction but threw off the blade rotation causing excessive shaking which in turn rattled the head loose and stripped the spark plug housing.  The mower had already been sent back twice to the manufacturer for repairs and its less than two years old.  It was the top of the line until they pulled it due to too many problems.  Its no longer under warranty and is useless to me now.

Oh and last month I had to get a new motherboard because my old one blew a capacitor.  So I just decided to build an entire new computer.