Author Topic: overtraining on the 'galeniko/no one method'  (Read 2040 times)

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
overtraining on the 'galeniko/no one method'
« on: August 04, 2013, 02:58:29 PM »
so as promised we said we'd update those of you who bought the book with our own findings ongoing, and try to create an open environment for discussion that might help us all further perfect this system.

today im going to address overtraining on the system, and how to recognise when you've hit that wall.

as we said in the book, it is almost impossible to overtrain on this system, and we gave our own hypothesis for why that might be. but it is possible to overtrain. i dont think i have hit an overtraining point sisnce its inception (i think most of the time anything i was 'feeling' was based more on the caloirc requirments of the diet than anything), but today i definitely did hit the wall.

a little back ground. i cant rememeber the last day i took off from the gym. ive hit arms 5 times in the last 8 days. they just keep rsponding, so i just keep pounding them. typically i'll train them with another bodypart, so im really getting a lot of volume in when you think about it (not just my arms my whole body), and the way my workouts are structured to chase the pump without rest they are very set heavy.

today i woke up and felt like i did any other am. felt good to go. not rip the doors off the gym ready to go, but looking foward to training like i ususally do. i have been prolly about 1500cal the last 4-5 days. i've upped my cals a bit on days i feel i need them as opposed to being 1k cal as my body is making greater demands for food it seems the leaner i get, so i know this 'feeling' isnt caloire based as its 1/3 more cals than i'll typically injest over this period. the cals have been a mix of protein (chicken breast) fats (natty PB) and simple sugars (i find my body responds well to sugary carbs reather than more complex ones). my sessions up till today have been very driven.

today i hit back and shoulders. i had just ground out shoulders the day before yesterday but they felt ready to go so i popped them again. the more i train it seems the more im growing, so im not about to put the breaks on 'cause your supposed to'. the idea is to train until your body nees rest for repair. short sessions, intense in thats theres no rest and mutiple sets. that way w shorter sessions i can repound any group within 48 hours. thers some good growth here like gal and i outline in the book.

so todays workout was different. i need rest between my sets today. usually im a machine. today i was innefficient. the poundages were not there, nor was he willingness to lift them. basically i used half the weight im calable of typcially moving and just ran the pump. very lazy workout admittedly but was sweating when i was done, mostly cause even though it was lazy compared to what i normally do, it was all my body could do on this day.

i have no appetite. usually i fight the little craving voice (you know the one- the one thats there even though you just ate 2 pounds of chicken breast and couldnt eat another thing, but could easily crush a dozen donuts:D) but the littel craving voice is non existant.

i feel like sitting down a lot today. i have no residual energy for 'normal' activity. my mood is kinda blah. and i sure as fuck am not going anyhwere near a gym tomorrow! :D

if you have run itno this it is not a caloirc thing, it is most def a training thing and yuou need to take a day or two off.

i just thought i'd share in case some of you are tempted to up your cals. stay in the hole. just dont train. you'll know you've hit this point when the desire to eat- even your favourite- is totally absent.

cheers everyone!
b

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
Re: overtraining on the 'galeniko/no one method'
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 03:12:17 PM »
How about a "blitz" method every few months?  The I.A.R.T. founder, Brian D. Johnston, swore by it.  And as a lifetime natty, he did actually improve his physique through those little bouts. 

It only makes sense that our bodies can sustain tons of stress for brief periods, and perhaps overcompensate, than sustaining said stress for very long periods (e.g., some idiot psycho like Steve Michalik).  Some guys are quick to try and counter that by asserting what heavy laborers do, but really, how many laborers do you know who are remarkably strong save for perhaps their grip? 

And in spite of their ultra-frequent training, sprinters, Olympic lifters and gymnasts aren't remotely comparable.  How often do they train to momentary "failure"?  How many slow negatives do they perform?  How often does a sprinter run until his legs literally give out on him? 

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 04:33:22 PM »

hey bro. good post. in the scope of bbing I myself don't belive in periodisation. I believe in just listening to your body. it is an amazingly adaptable organism and I find it's ability to function at an optimal level all the time completely possible if you just listen to it. it'll tell you when it needs rest, when to go heavy, when to run the pump, when to not eat, and when it requires fuel.

periodisation locks it into a period of repetition it might not want or be confortable with as it's needs, demands and capabilities can change buy the day if not the hour. it's just a matter of listening to it and capitalizing on working with it instead of against it.

cheers.
b

O.Z.

• Getbig IV
  • Team Swimmers
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 08:38:38 PM »
I was on 1300-1500 calories for a last 6 weeks, chicken, fish, veggies and some fats (nuts, pb) no carbs at all. My training sessions were 6 days on and 1 day off. I lost about 20 pounds of fat and was very pleased with results. Now my body is telling me to do some adjustments as it looks I have reached plateau. I will change a few things for a next few weeks a see how I go, will have 3 days on and 1 day off gym sessions, on day off I will increase my calories to roughly 2000-2200 with addition of some carbs (potato, rice, wholemeal bread) and then go back to increased training volume and back to 1300-1500 calories.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 08:48:13 PM »
I never get sick, ever.  I did the Layne Norton two times weekly program and got a cold twice in two months.

???

O.Z.

• Getbig IV
  • Team Swimmers
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 08:50:32 PM »
I never get sick, ever.  I did the Layne Norton two times weekly program and got a cold twice in two months.

???

Who is Layne Norton?