Author Topic: Obama Admn trying to take over Apple I Tunes  (Read 1851 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Obama Admn trying to take over Apple I Tunes
« on: August 05, 2013, 07:52:18 PM »
http://rt.com/usa/itunes-doj-control-store-075

The Justice Department is seeking to acquire government oversight of Apple’s iTunes and App Store – a move that would give feds control over content ranging from books to music to television shows and movies.

After winning an anti-trust lawsuit against Apple in July, the Department of Justice is attempting to gain further price control over the multinational computer corporation.

Last month, a federal judge ruled that Apple is guilty of conspiring to raise the retail prices of e-books. The Justice Department on Friday proposed sweeping punishments: officials suggested that Apple be forced to terminate contracts it holds with five major book publishers, barred from entering contracts that control e-book prices, and forced to allow iPhone or iPad users to directly buy books from other retailers with their devices.

“The court found that Apple’s illegal conduct deprived consumers of the benefits of e-book price competition and forced them to pay substantially higher prices,” Bill Baer, assistant attorney general in charge of the DOJ antitrust division, told the Washington Post. “Under the department’s proposed order, Apple’s illegal conduct will cease and Apple and its senior executives will be prevented from conspiring to thwart competition in the future.”

If the proposed punishments go into effect, Apple would be required to house a court-appointed monitor who would enforce these regulations and make sure the firm abides by them for at least 10 years.

In addition to the proposed consequences, the Justice Department has asked a federal judge to limit Apple’s influence in the publishing market by giving the feds government oversight of iTunes and the App Store. The government hopes to prohibit the corporation from negotiating with media companies to increase prices at companies that rival Apple, as well as its own stores.

In a court filing submitted Friday, Apple called the proposals a “draconian and punitive intrusion into Apple’s business, wildly out of proportion to any adjudicated wrongdoing or potential harm.”

The company vowed to fight the DOJ on its proposals, and accused the department of abusing its power.

The proposal “regulates areas of Apple’s business… which bear no relation to the wrongdoing alleged in this case,” the company’s attorneys wrote in the court filing. “These overbroad and vague terms violate principles of equity and antitrust law, as well as Apple’s constitutional rights to fair notice of judicial penalties.”

Publishers accused of raising e-book prices settled their allegations with the DOJ, but Apple took a risk by gambling with a trial instead, and might now have to fall under strict government oversight. The US District Court must approve the DOJ proposals before they go into effect. The court will hold a hearing on the measures on Aug. 9.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Re: Obama Admn trying to take over Apple I Tunes
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 07:53:46 PM »
Wait until Apple moves to Australia or some shit. Then the US government is really gonna be pissed.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 07:56:30 PM »
Wait until Apple moves to Australia or some shit. Then the US government is really gonna be pissed.

F the US Govt - I hope it collapses at this rate

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 07:57:52 PM »
lol and all the libtards will be stunned, shocked and feel betrayed

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 08:04:43 PM »

Red29

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 08:05:25 PM »
thats lame as hell. sides doesnt the us govt know that investing in apple is a terrible idea?

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 08:09:08 PM »
F the US Govt - I hope it collapses at this rate

I don't follow you on this one.  They've been found guilty of fucking us over and colluding to increase prices.  Competition is out the fucking door...little guy getting shit on, and they got caught.

But, you side with Apple?  I don't know...I don't like these big corporate fucks screwing over the average consumer and then crying like bitches when busted.

And, I don't have all the facts, so...

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 08:23:50 PM »
http://rt.com/usa/itunes-doj-control-store-075

The Justice Department is seeking to acquire government oversight of Apple’s iTunes and App Store – a move that would give feds control over content ranging from books to music to television shows and movies.

After winning an anti-trust lawsuit against Apple in July, the Department of Justice is attempting to gain further price control over the multinational computer corporation.

Last month, a federal judge ruled that Apple is guilty of conspiring to raise the retail prices of e-books. The Justice Department on Friday proposed sweeping punishments: officials suggested that Apple be forced to terminate contracts it holds with five major book publishers, barred from entering contracts that control e-book prices, and forced to allow iPhone or iPad users to directly buy books from other retailers with their devices.

“The court found that Apple’s illegal conduct deprived consumers of the benefits of e-book price competition and forced them to pay substantially higher prices,” Bill Baer, assistant attorney general in charge of the DOJ antitrust division, told the Washington Post. “Under the department’s proposed order, Apple’s illegal conduct will cease and Apple and its senior executives will be prevented from conspiring to thwart competition in the future.”

If the proposed punishments go into effect, Apple would be required to house a court-appointed monitor who would enforce these regulations and make sure the firm abides by them for at least 10 years.

In addition to the proposed consequences, the Justice Department has asked a federal judge to limit Apple’s influence in the publishing market by giving the feds government oversight of iTunes and the App Store. The government hopes to prohibit the corporation from negotiating with media companies to increase prices at companies that rival Apple, as well as its own stores.

In a court filing submitted Friday, Apple called the proposals a “draconian and punitive intrusion into Apple’s business, wildly out of proportion to any adjudicated wrongdoing or potential harm.”

The company vowed to fight the DOJ on its proposals, and accused the department of abusing its power.

The proposal “regulates areas of Apple’s business… which bear no relation to the wrongdoing alleged in this case,” the company’s attorneys wrote in the court filing. “These overbroad and vague terms violate principles of equity and antitrust law, as well as Apple’s constitutional rights to fair notice of judicial penalties.”

Publishers accused of raising e-book prices settled their allegations with the DOJ, but Apple took a risk by gambling with a trial instead, and might now have to fall under strict government oversight. The US District Court must approve the DOJ proposals before they go into effect. The court will hold a hearing on the measures on Aug. 9.

So wait... the Fed is trying to literally take control over a chunk of a private corporation? Something about this seems totally fucked... I hate Apple as much as the next guy... but this seems way out of hand. Sue their ass when they break laws. Make them comply with US business laws... but don't try and use take control of a chunk of the company to ensure that they don't try and fix the competition..

That said, as I said in the other thread, I'm sick of Apple trying to bully and intimidate competitors, or using their money and influence to simply force others out of the market. They need to start innovating and put out a product that actually competes, rather than just throwing dollars at a lawsuit or forcing their users to buy shit at exorbitant prices. Thing is, Apple fgts are too hardwired to do whatever Apple tells them, they'd literally pay 3x as much for an inferior product because that fucking logo is on the back.

My brother in law is that way... Apple TV, Ipad, Iphone, Istereosystem, Ichildren, Ibuttplug.... he literally cannot tell me why he buys Apple products for twice the money. Once he admitted he buys it simply because they're "cool". 

Fuck Apple and the horse they sued to ride in on.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 08:25:18 PM »
So wait... the Fed is trying to literally take control over a chunk of a private corporation? Something about this seems totally fucked... I hate Apple as much as the next guy... but this seems way out of hand. Sue their ass when they break laws. Make them comply with US business laws... but don't try and use take control of a chunk of the company to ensure that they don't try and fix the competition..

That said, as I said in the other thread, I'm sick of Apple trying to bully and intimidate competitors, or using their money and influence to simply force others out of the market. They need to start innovating and put out a product that actually competes, rather than just throwing dollars at a lawsuit or forcing their users to buy shit at exorbitant prices. Thing is, Apple fgts are too hardwired to do whatever Apple tells them, they'd literally pay 3x as much for an inferior product because that fucking logo is on the back.

My brother in law is that way... Apple TV, Ipad, Iphone, Istereosystem, Ichildren, Ibuttplug.... he literally cannot tell me why he buys Apple products for twice the money. Once he admitted he buys it simply because they're "cool". 

I am back to buying CD's old school from Amazon - just got a batch of old Black Sabbath CD's - awesome

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 08:35:20 PM »

I actually use a Mac and have an iphone. I loved the ipod... The Mac is just because I'm a shell guy... I need bash.

If it weren't for that for my work, I'd be fine with a windows machine. Windows 7 is fine by me... I use it for all of the good stuff (games)

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 08:51:59 PM »
I actually use a Mac and have an iphone. I loved the ipod... The Mac is just because I'm a shell guy... I need bash.

If it weren't for that for my work, I'd be fine with a windows machine. Windows 7 is fine by me... I use it for all of the good stuff (games)

Don't get me wrong, I had an Iphone when they came out, and I used Ipods for a long time. That time has passed, and Apple needs to do something to actually compete with the other major tech giants rather than just bitch and sue people.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 08:56:02 PM »
piratebay.se

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 09:28:43 PM »

this

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 09:41:14 PM »
can someone explain this to me in dummie terms please.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 10:05:51 PM »
You idiots voted for this. Like I said in the very beginning, you do understand the consequences of your actions. Even though his election was a fraud it doesn't take away the fact that those who voted for this communist (and I think we can say that now) literally FUCKED IT UP for everyone in this country.

Red29

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 01:43:04 PM »
You idiots voted for this. Like I said in the very beginning, you do understand the consequences of your actions. Even though his election was a fraud it doesn't take away the fact that those who voted for this communist (and I think we can say that now) literally FUCKED IT UP for everyone in this country.

most people dont know shit about politics and what the effects of their vote really are. they just pick the guy they like on a humanistic level.

countries becoming a police state too. was walking at 4am just walking around cus i felt like it. 3 state troopers pull up and stop me and my friends(we were literally just walking around for the enjoyment of it) and take our names, seperate us. i know my rights and i know they had no right to stop us so i started to object to what they were doing. the asshole of the group of cops decided to take me to the back of the car, stupid pig thought i was going to start beign lippy when all i had said and in a very monotone voice 'why do you need to know my name'. after we were let go my asshole cop gave me a talking to. i decided to not take my objections any further because of his assholeness and simply comply. wasnt in the mood to get locked up on some shit fabricated charge even if i wasnt doing anything wrong.