Author Topic: Samsung Loses $1 Billion in Market Value After OBAMA Vetoes Apple Import Ban  (Read 1079 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
SEOUL—More than $1 billion was wiped out of Samsung Electronics Co.'s 005930.SE -2.04%market value early Monday after a surprise decision by the Obama administration over the weekend to veto an import ban on some Apple Inc. AAPL +1.49%products in the U.S.

Early Monday, South Korea's biggest company by market capitalization fell 0.6% to 1,278,000 won ($1,137), wiping out $1.05 billion of Samsung's market capitalization.

Washington's decision dealt a blow to Samsung, Apple's top smartphone competitor, just as it is seeking to expand its footprint in the U.S. market.

This Friday, the International Trade Commission is slated to decide whether to ban certain Galaxy mobile product imports to the U.S. after Apple filed a complaint alleging patent violation.

Samsung products subject to the decision later this week include some older models of Galaxy smartphones and tablets including the Galaxy S, Galaxy S II, Galaxy Tab 10.1 but not Samsung's latest products including the Galaxy S III or the Galaxy S4.

The South Korean company declined to comment Monday on what it expects from the International Trade Commission this week.

But analysts say odds are low that it will result in an ultimate ban of Samsung products in the U.S.

"I think it was a good call from the Obama administration, considering the benefits to consumers," said James Song, an analyst with KDB Daewoo Securities. "Using the same logic, the Obama administration would have to make it so that Samsung products can continue to be imported in the U.S."

Over the weekend, U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman made the decision to veto the ban on some Apple devices, citing concerns about patent holders gaining "undue leverage" as well as potential harm to consumers a ban would bring.

"In future, any ban Apple may win, Samsung may also lobby hard for a veto," Mark Newman, an analyst with Sanford C. Bernstein said. "If the presidential veto appears to be used to give advantage to Apple over Samsung, this would be a dangerous precedent that could upset the current good trade relations between the U.S. and South Korea."

cont... http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324653004578648952344694088.html

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Lawl.

Apple  US gets what Apple US wants.

It sucks too, because Apple products are stagnating.... and rather than innovating, they'd rather seek legal action to try and fuck it's competitors.

Fuck you Apple, you suck. You're day in the sun is over. 

Psychopath

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM DIME PIECE TRANNY
Fuck apple, Samsung all the way.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Lawl.

Apple  US gets what Apple US wants.

It sucks too, because Apple products are stagnating.... and rather than innovating, they'd rather seek legal action to try and fuck it's competitors.

Fuck you Apple, you suck. You're day in the sun is over. 
WHAT?  You're out of your mind on this shit and I'm not even an apple guy lol...  Over the last 5-10 years I couldn't possibly describe Apple products as stagnant or lacking in innovation.  They clearly led the way and others followed and or copied.  I don't blame them for trying to protect their investments and rights.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
WHAT?  You're out of your mind on this shit and I'm not even an apple guy lol...  Over the last 5-10 years I couldn't possibly describe Apple products as stagnant or lacking in innovation.  They clearly led the way and others followed and or copied.  I don't blame them for trying to protect their investments and rights.
I'm talking about the last couple years. Trying to force HTC out of the country, suing the shit out of Samsung (ironic they lost in the EU and won here) because their products looked similar, but Samsungs were actually beginning to innovate and not do the exact same shit, with a new return button, sold as a new phone for 600 bucks.

C'mon man, Apple for the last couple years literally releases the same phone with 1 minor upgrade every few months like clockwork, while the other companies actually innovate. Rather than compete, they just turn to the court system.

JMHO, of course, but since Jobs dies, their ideas died with him.

That said, no doubt that if you rewind until the later part of the last decade, they were the forefront of personal technology.. Now, not so much.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
SEOUL—More than $1 billion was wiped out of Samsung Electronics Co.'s 005930.SE -2.04%market value early Monday after a surprise decision by the Obama administration over the weekend to veto an import ban on some Apple Inc. AAPL +1.49%products in the U.S.

Early Monday, South Korea's biggest company by market capitalization fell 0.6% to 1,278,000 won ($1,137), wiping out $1.05 billion of Samsung's market capitalization.

Washington's decision dealt a blow to Samsung, Apple's top smartphone competitor, just as it is seeking to expand its footprint in the U.S. market.

This Friday, the International Trade Commission is slated to decide whether to ban certain Galaxy mobile product imports to the U.S. after Apple filed a complaint alleging patent violation.

Samsung products subject to the decision later this week include some older models of Galaxy smartphones and tablets including the Galaxy S, Galaxy S II, Galaxy Tab 10.1 but not Samsung's latest products including the Galaxy S III or the Galaxy S4.

The South Korean company declined to comment Monday on what it expects from the International Trade Commission this week.

But analysts say odds are low that it will result in an ultimate ban of Samsung products in the U.S.

"I think it was a good call from the Obama administration, considering the benefits to consumers," said James Song, an analyst with KDB Daewoo Securities. "Using the same logic, the Obama administration would have to make it so that Samsung products can continue to be imported in the U.S."

Over the weekend, U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman made the decision to veto the ban on some Apple devices, citing concerns about patent holders gaining "undue leverage" as well as potential harm to consumers a ban would bring.

"In future, any ban Apple may win, Samsung may also lobby hard for a veto," Mark Newman, an analyst with Sanford C. Bernstein said. "If the presidential veto appears to be used to give advantage to Apple over Samsung, this would be a dangerous precedent that could upset the current good trade relations between the U.S. and South Korea."

cont... http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324653004578648952344694088.html

.......you voted for it. It's too late to complain about it now.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
.......you voted for it. It's too late to complain about it now.

haha... Fuck off Coach  ;D

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
I'm talking about the last couple years. Trying to force HTC out of the country, suing the shit out of Samsung (ironic they lost in the EU and won here) because their products looked similar, but Samsungs were actually beginning to innovate and not do the exact same shit, with a new return button, sold as a new phone for 600 bucks.

C'mon man, Apple for the last couple years literally releases the same phone with 1 minor upgrade every few months like clockwork, while the other companies actually innovate. Rather than compete, they just turn to the court system.

JMHO, of course, but since Jobs dies, their ideas died with him.

That said, no doubt that if you rewind until the later part of the last decade, they were the forefront of personal technology.. Now, not so much.
lol, you're giving a lot of credit to Samsung on this for sure.  This has been a tit for tat between Samsung and Apple so don't just call out Apple on it--Samsung has been just as aggressive.  The other thing we all know is that basically Samsung has worked directly off of Apple's material and foundation.  IMO several people are lucky as hell they didn't get busted at Apple.  I know others who have paid a price for handing over a few things in that industry.  There was some industrial espionage at work over the last decade for sure and Apple should be pissed over it.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
It has been tit-for-tat for sure but he's right about Apple's lack of creativity as of late. Seriously considering moving to android when my upgrade is due in a few months.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
i prefer the windowns, samsung phones and pad.

BUT

the APPS just make apple irresistible.  Anytime I think of something I need - there's already ten apps for that.  And all the devices work - 2 ipads and 2 iphones in the house - buy an app once, and it works on all of them.  love it.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Samsung will get it's way. It uses Android and has teamed with Google.
There is no way the US Corporatocracy will choose Apple over Google.
Google will enter the fray, ...and Apple will simply have to deal with it. Watch and see.
w

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Samsung will get it's way. It uses Android and has teamed with Google.
There is no way the US Corporatocracy will choose Apple over Google.
Google will enter the fray, ...and Apple will simply have to deal with it. Watch and see.
We can only hope.