Author Topic: Just got my Achilles repaired  (Read 10124 times)

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
Re: Just got my Achilles repaired
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2013, 05:19:18 PM »
on local tv today, kobe said that he is already able to dunk     that is fucking insane

Cswol can dunk.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2013, 05:21:42 PM »
I barely even have to move...

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2013, 05:22:55 PM »
 great home gym! congrats!

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2013, 05:29:03 PM »
Damn aj I feel for you. I just partially tore mine jumping in my pool drunk and banged it on the bottom. It hurt like hell and took months to get back to normal. I can't imagine to that extent. Good luck with it. I wish you a speedy recovery.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2013, 05:34:07 PM »
fuck this sounds painfull, i sincerely wish a fast and easy as possible recovery,man 8)

When I hear "recovery", I hear "HGH". Sadly, my surgeon's ears don't appear to be as acute as mine... :-\

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2013, 05:37:02 PM »
Damn aj I feel for you. I just partially tore mine jumping in my pool drunk and banged it on the bottom. It hurt like hell and took months to get back to normal. I can't imagine to that extent. Good luck with it. I wish you a speedy recovery.

It's gonna take about 3 months to be back, more or less. Surgery offered the best outcomes WRT recovery and re-injury (shudder).

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2013, 05:39:44 PM »
At least you have got an awesome kitchen.  Three months isn't that long.  Its been nine months since my nose op and its still not recovered.  That surgery takes a full year and one doctor told me it can even take up to 18 months. 

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2013, 05:42:06 PM »
At least you have got an awesome kitchen.  Three months isn't that long.  Its been nine months since my nose op and its still not recovered.  That surgery takes a full year and one doctor told me it can even take up to 18 months. 

Ouch. Dang. Sorry 'bout that.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2013, 05:50:56 PM »
It's gonna take about 3 months to be back, more or less. Surgery offered the best outcomes WRT recovery and re-injury (shudder).

If you can get back full strength and function in 3 months that would be amazing. Work hard to get function back when you get the doctors and physical therapist give the ok to push it. It will be baby steps for a while. Wishing you a full recovery.

When is physical therapy beginning? I would think about 4 to 6 weeks?

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2013, 05:51:47 PM »
When is physical therapy beginning? I would think about 4 to 6 weeks?

6 weeks.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2013, 05:54:39 PM »
Ouch. Dang. Sorry 'bout that.
Thanks, I just have swelling still. 

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2013, 05:56:54 PM »
Only 3 months recovery is incredible. My little tear took a good 8 months to heal itself. Walking down stairs were a bitch, I remember that.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2013, 06:08:02 PM »
Only 3 months recovery is incredible. My little tear took a good 8 months to heal itself. Walking down stairs were a bitch, I remember that.
Yes I think it will take much longer.  The achilles takes ages to heal due to the blood flow taking a long time to get down to that area.  Maybe the surgeon is not being completely honest.  I know that surgeons here don't tell you much.  My surgeon gave me no info what so ever about recovery time.  I was shocked at the swelling.  I asked about training and all he said was don't drop something on your nose, but gave me no info at all in regards to how to keep swelling down to a minimum.  In the end I started taping my nose when I trained and when I slept at nights.  I was very disappointed with the communication of the surgeon.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2013, 06:08:30 PM »

I would think it's a really tough recovery. The Achilles tendon is really big. My bicep tendon that ripped completely off my arm at the insertion  made the entire arm and shoulder feel weak. It took almost 2 months before I could completely extend the arm. I could do one pull up after about 4 months. At 6 months I was lifting relatively heavy again.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2013, 06:10:17 PM »
Yes I think it will take much longer.  The achilles takes ages to heal due to the blood flow taking a long time to get down to that area.  Maybe the surgeon is not being completely honest.  I know that surgeons here don't tell you much.  My surgeon gave me no info what so ever about recovery time.  I was shocked at the swelling.  I asked about training and all he said was don't drop something on your nose, but gave me no info at all in regards to how to keep swelling down to a minimum.  In the end I started taping my nose when I trained and when I slept at nights.  I was very disappointed with the communication of the surgeon.

3 months to heal is quite different from returning to athletic training in 3 months. I hope he's right about the 3 month recovery.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2013, 06:12:00 PM »
3 months to heal is quite different from returning to athletic training in 3 months. I hope he's right about the 3 month recovery.
Possibly the surgeon means three months to do everyday stuff, but not train. 

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2013, 06:12:29 PM »
I'll just post a link.....because lately I've been sounding a little betaish about my injury recover etc.... :-[

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=189633.0

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2013, 06:13:16 PM »

I am sure that I won't be sprinting in 3 months. My goal is to be walking without a limp or a cane in that period of time. I am going to see how PT progresses and my doctor's advice on how hard/ how fast I can push it.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2013, 06:14:16 PM »
I am sure that I won't be sprinting in 3 months. My goal is to be walking without a limp or a cane in that period of time. I am going to see how PT progresses and my doctor's advice on how hard/ how fast I can push it.
Hopefully the doctor can give you some solid advice because my experience here is very disappointing.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2013, 06:17:26 PM »
Hopefully the doctor can give you some solid advice because my experience here is very disappointing.

He's a sports medicine fellow and NCAA Div 1 team doc, so he has a lot of experience with these. Of course, that's with 20-something athletes, not 48 year-old executives  :-\

There appears to be a lot of newish thinking around Achilles healing in the last 10 years.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2013, 06:24:58 PM »
He's a sports medicine fellow and NCAA Div 1 team doc, so he has a lot of experience with these. Of course, that's with 20-something athletes, not 48 year-old executives  :-\

There appears to be a lot of newish thinking around Achilles healing in the last 10 years.
You will probably get the best advice then.  Here in Australia they have the attitude "she'll be right mate"   :-\  I wasn't prepared for how long the recovery would be.  I currently have a throat infection and had to go to my doctor.  He asked if I had popping in the ears and I told him I have had it since my surgery. Its from the swelling and the reason I know this is from google.  Google has been my after care surgeon

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2013, 06:36:46 PM »
Fucking hell...I wanted to baseline a Vicodin so I waited 7 hours for my next one. Too long. As soon as I had to move, the pain was off the charts. I am posting on GetBig instead of screaming in agony.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2013, 06:39:32 PM »
Fucking hell...I wanted to baseline a Vicodin so I waited 7 hours for my next one. Too long. As soon as I had to move, the pain was off the charts. I am posting on GetBig instead of screaming in agony.
I took my painkillers on the exact times for the first week after my surgery.  I had minimal pain.  I suggest you take them as prescribed.  There is no reason what so ever to endure pain.  It slows recovery

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2013, 06:42:59 PM »

Follow the directions for pain meds.  Gotta get them in BEFORE the pain sets in.
:

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2013, 06:43:56 PM »
I took my painkillers on the exact times for the first week after my surgery.  I had minimal pain.  I suggest you take them as prescribed.  There is no reason what so ever to endure pain.  It slows recovery

Sage advice, but the instructions are vague: "one or two every 4-6 hours as needed". I won't have to make this mistake again.