Author Topic: "Put the waitress on a diet"  (Read 5394 times)

prizm

• Getbig III
"Put the waitress on a diet"
« on: August 08, 2013, 07:38:57 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

http://ifyoucantaffordtotip.com/put-the-waitresses-on-a-diet/

So this guy came into our restaurant last week and wrote on my coworkers comment card that we should “be put on a diet”. He then came in again today and we refused to serve him. My manager had to take the table. It was hard to hold back from saying something. I have 2 weeks left at this job. So I kept my mouth shut…for now. I’m curious how other servers and their management have handled situations like this. Have they ever said anything to the guest?

Should I say anything to him in my last days at the job? I have always had the server fantasy of going off on a guest lol. This one clearly deserves it! He’s an a-hole.

~Stephanie

cephissus

• Getbig V
Re: "Put the waitress on a diet"
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 07:48:12 PM »
hahaahahahahaahahahaha MELTDOWN

and nothing says class and "superior customer experience" like a fucking feedback form  ::)

FFS

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 07:53:58 PM »
 ???

why would you provide a feedback form if you are going to get offended by it. bitches need to get over it.
follow the arrows

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 08:06:05 PM »
we need pics of the waitress to give a veredict if we would hit or not.

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 08:13:54 PM »
I've ate at hundreds of restaurants in my life and not once have I had any desire to fill out a comment card.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 08:17:52 PM »
When I was 19 I was underweight from so much stress and some guy called me a fat cow and told me to hit the gym. It turns out that was his fucked up way of trying to sell gym memberships where he works (until I got him fired for that) but I was damn close to believing him and getting an eating disorder. I was thin and thought it was rude. So now what?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 08:18:07 PM »
The comment was unnecessary and irrelevant.

In reading the article another wait staff was wondering if they should say something to the customer who had returned. I should hope not. The customer is always right, even when the customer is being a jerk.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 08:21:01 PM »
I wonder what SquadFather would have wrote on the feedback form.

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 08:26:46 PM »
The comment was unnecessary and irrelevant.

In reading the article another wait staff was wondering if they should say something to the customer who had returned. I should hope not. The customer is always right, even when the customer is being a jerk.

I disagree, the customer is NOT right when they are being a jerk. Just because they are paying for a service that does not give them the right to belittle anyone for their enjoyment or to boost their pathetic self esteem.  You evidently have never had to serve the public. If you have you would change your statement.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 08:26:52 PM »
I wonder what SquadFather would have wrote on the feedback form.

One thing that struck me is that restaurant Mac and Cheese is almost always over cooked. He commented that it wasn't done. Does he no know that the noodles are supposed to be al dente.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 08:38:57 PM »
I disagree, the customer is NOT right when they are being a jerk. Just because they are paying for a service that does not give them the right to belittle anyone for their enjoyment or to boost their pathetic self esteem.
This.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 09:00:06 PM »
This.

Good thing you don't work for me because you'd be out of a job. It is a rare instance when the customer isn't right even when they are wrong. You don't have to like them, you just have to politely serve them. And it isn't as much about who is actually right or who is wrong, it is all about who pays the bills.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 10:04:19 PM »
If she says something to the guy, he should sue the company saying he was told that the comment card was to be anonymous and that he believes the only reason she said something to him is because she is helping the Hierarchy help turn Alpha's into Beta's...

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 11:34:08 PM »
When I was 19 I was underweight from so much stress and some guy called me a fat cow and told me to hit the gym. It turns out that was his fucked up way of trying to sell gym memberships where he works (until I got him fired for that) but I was damn close to believing him and getting an eating disorder. I was thin and thought it was rude. So now what?

are you a girl?

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 04:16:42 AM »
Good thing you don't work for me because you'd be out of a job. It is a rare instance when the customer isn't right even when they are wrong. You don't have to like them, you just have to politely serve them. And it isn't as much about who is actually right or who is wrong, it is all about who pays the bills.

You do not sound like the management type materiail I would ever work for.

ukjeff

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 04:20:42 AM »
And with your approach you wouldnt have a business to run for very long.
If the customer was always right even when they were wrong in your eyes at what point to you put your foot down
According to you I could eat at your restaraunt every night and refuse to pay because I made up some nonsensical excuse about the service or the food.

Dumbass

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 04:27:29 AM »
The customer was simply telling the truth.  The truth usually hurts.  If you don't want the truth, don't hand out surveys or questionnaires. 

Lose weight fattie.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 04:41:56 AM »

Spoken like a true idiot.

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 05:56:32 AM »
Prime owns a McDonalds. But for some reason this is what it looks like after 2 months of his "Customer Is Always Right" policy.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 06:01:26 AM »
Try doing a job for a paki then come back and see if you still believe "the customer is always right"

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 06:02:32 AM »
Nobody deserves to be degraded or humiliated for the job they do, you've obviously never been in a position where people work for you or under your management.

Peterpuffer
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 06:09:56 AM »

I'd venture to say it depends on what business we are talking about. The customer is always right is a flawed concept. For example.. customer orders a $49 bone in ribeye, eats it all, then complains it was overcooked and wants it comped.. Nope.. time to complain is after the first couple bites.. you eat it all and don't say anything until after the fact, you own it. Customer tries to return a dress that has obviously been worn hard an put up wet and has a pattern of "buying" expensive dresses and returning them a week later after she wears it to an event.. sorry.. you own it. Customer claims they gave you a $20 bill when you know they gave you a $10 and are demanding change for the $20. Your till shows no $20 in the $20 slot and a check of the register doesn't reveal a $20 in the cash register. Customer is throwing a fit demanding the change. Sorry.. you gave us a $10, call the police if you want to, but wait outside. I could go on and on ..   

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 12:39:50 PM »
You do not sound like the management type materiail I would ever work for.

That's okay by me.

The people I've employed or managed throughout the years enjoyed working with me. I treat all folks as equals and expect the same in return. Customers are not employees or friends, they are simply customers. I don't have to like them, but if I don't, it isn't good business to let them know this. People who think otherwise are being naïve.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2013, 12:54:54 PM »
Nobody deserves to be degraded or humiliated for the job they do, you've obviously never been in a position where people work for you or under your management.

Peterpuffer

While we don't deserve a lot of things that happen, they still do. Keep in mind that this thread is about some jack ass writing that the waitress should go on a diet. That's an insulting, unpleasant, unkind and irrelevant thing to put on a comment card. Does it mean that, said waitress or her co-workers should retaliate? I don't think so.

These days and being retired, I am most often the customer. I can assure you there is no way I would ever say such a thing about someone on a comment card. In fact my wife and I make it a point to compliment wait staff for all their good service. We are well received wherever we go, especially those places where we are repeat customers. Just this morning at breakfast, our server sat with us and chatted for a few minutes. This is very often the case when we go out to eat at a place where the staff knows us. We also tip well.

The above being said. I still maintain that it is not good business for a server to refuse service or address negative comments such as the one exampled in this thread. If I were the manager at that facility, I would support that waitress not waiting on that customer. I would not support her or her coworkers telling the customer off.

Some people can be incredibly rude to service industry workers. It is wrong. Chances are these customers are doing this just to bolster their own egos. Smart people know this and will in most cases just blow it off.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2013, 01:01:19 PM »

Peterpuffer

Follow-up comments:

You post here is pretty humorous. On the one had you defend those who have been degraded and humiliated and then in your closing you chose a degrading and humiliating remark....assuming you don't mean "Peterpuffer" to be a term of endearment or a compliment.

And to clarify your erroneous assumption, I have been in a position where people work for me and are under my management. Although I am now retired, a lot of my former co-workers and employees remain friends with me to this day.