Author Topic: Where to buy a dog to make sure it's not from a puppy mill  (Read 4023 times)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Where to buy a dog to make sure it's not from a puppy mill
« on: August 19, 2013, 08:21:43 PM »
Sometime in the next year or so I would like to get a pure bread australian shepherd (or maybe mixed with border collie) but I want to make sure I am not supporting "puppy mills".
I really want it to be a puppy or very young so I can train it appropriately and so it doesn't have bad habits from someone else.

So can you give me ideas of good places to get the kind of dog described above?  Are these types of dogs ever at the animal shelter or human society.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
Re: Where to buy a dog to make sure it's not from a puppy mill
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 03:34:14 AM »
Sometime in the next year or so I would like to get a pure bread australian shepherd (or maybe mixed with border collie) but I want to make sure I am not supporting "puppy mills".
I really want it to be a puppy or very young so I can train it appropriately and so it doesn't have bad habits from someone else.

So can you give me ideas of good places to get the kind of dog described above?  Are these types of dogs ever at the animal shelter or human society.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

You can try facebook groups. Breeders often advertise there and those with shabby reputations are often weeded out.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 02:42:39 PM »
1 - Go to local dog shows.

2 - Introduce to yourself to every breeder that is there that day, get their information & give them yours.

3- Research.  Go to their websites & VISIT the kennel first hand.  You will know right away.  If they refuse, walk away & go to the next breeder.  If they are not friendly and are desperately trying to make an acquaintance, walk away.

4 - Ask to see the parents.  If they are good reputable breeders, they will help you see both parents.  50% of the time the stud may not be from the same kennel but they should be able to locate him for you.

5 - Ask TONS of questions.  If they shy away skip around any question you may have, walk away.

If you're looking for a mix, you can easily go to a shelter and find plenty there that need to be saved.  If you're looking for a puppy but have zero intentions of a show quality (meaning they still look like 100% pure bred but to the average person would have no clue), just let the breeder know you want pet quality. 

Sounds like you want to train it in obedience.  I would advise looking into local shows that support Obedience, Rally, and Agility competitions vs Conformation but if it were me I would want to see all the many events & them performing.

If you need a hand in finding a local show near you or how to get going, just drop me a line.  Otherwise, there's always tons of local shelters with dogs that need adoption.  There's also Australian Shepherd rescues & Border Collie Rescue's and organizations trying to find fosters a home.  Of course, they may be older and not a puppy.  On the flip side, they may have been already trained, house broken, & ready for their for ever home.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 03:32:25 PM »
^
Good info

Also, here's some other suggestions.  There are many ethnic type festivals around here that often have herding demonstrations and exhibits with the herding breeds.  Check out an Irish festival or Scottish festival or Highland Games.  Check with some local doggy day care places or groomers or local vets.
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 03:45:23 PM »
P.S.  I hope you're planning on giving that dog LOTS of physical and mental stimulation like agility classes.  A dog like that NEEDS a "job" to be well balanced.  Golf courses are even using them to get rid of the geese  :D
: