Author Topic: Fast Food Workers - We want $15 and hour!  (Read 17690 times)

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
Who are you?

One of the most logical, honest and thoughtful posts I have ever read on this site- you must be lost.  ;)

Every once in a while I suspend my trolling and answer a question honestly.  Thanks for noticing.  lol.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Tony. Are you telling me there's unlimited wealth?
first define wealth, and then explain how its limited

tonymctones

• Getbig V
govt reg on corp profits % wise to what they pay there employees.
should the corps have the ability to not pay their workers if they dont make money or charge them if they lose money?

Im guessing your probably against that, so what youre saying is you want all of the upside but none of the downside then?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
In NC they would just fire them all.  Right to work state bitches!

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
first define wealth, and then explain how its limited

It's not the little pieces of pretty paper being printed at an alarming rate, Tony.

dustin

LMFAO. Is this for real? Saw some news articles about it but didn't think it could be real.

How in the fuck can that work out? The work they perform isn't worth $15/hour. Sad, but true. It sucks that it's not enough to live off of, but get a job where the value of your skills and services are worth that much. They're out there. Not always easy, but it doesn't mean an employer should pay more because of your shitty circumstances.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
The 1 percent will send their kids to the same handful of schools, they will socialize together, they will work at the same companies, etc. It's not impossible to break into this clique but it's extraordinarily difficult.

The concentration of wealth in this country in the hands of a few is not healthy. I don't have the time to post the studies but if u Google the topic you'll see that this trend is accelerating by the day. Soon they'll be no middle class, it will just be the rich and everyone else, like in Latin America. And virtually everyone on this board will find themselves on the wrong side of that equation.
LOL this is something that those who dont have the forsight, ability and or ambition tell themselves to justify their mediocrity.

Sorry boss, I wasnt born to a rich family, I went to a public high school and public university along with my friends.

I also interned, worked my ass off while going to grad school and now have a great job working with those evil 1% where I am learning and positioning myself to have the potential to make 1% money in the future.

Even if I dont, my kids will be more successful than me and their kids more successful than them....

you act like you and others are helpless ::)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
It's not the little pieces of pretty paper being printed at an alarming rate, Tony.
lol so you cant define it?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
If a McDonald's worker misses a mortgage payment he looses his house.

If the investment banks and hedge funds that control McDonalds through their stock ownership come close to destroying the country's financial system due to gambling on bad mortgages they get bailed out by the McDonald's worker/taxpayer who lost his house.

How is that fair?
LMFAO first if the miss one payment their house isnt get forclosed.

second those people probably arent even paying income taxes, likely they are getting tax refunds....

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
they would if they were paid right your getting min wage service what do you expect 15 an hour and they would have a much diff attitude.
Here is the problem.  The ones striking are the ones earning a low wage for the shitty job they currently do.  A leopard doesn`t change its spots so easily.  Its not like they are going to magically be a better worker at 15 an hour, especially when they will have to do MUCH MORE work and it will be MORE difficult.  If they can barely handle it now, they would never be able to with a pay increase and more responsibility.  Or do they want more money for the same shitty service they usually provide?

Furthermore, you increase the wage to 15 dollars an hour, you won`t see any black faces at these places.  They are essentially striking themselves out, begging the bar to be raised to a height they could never hurdle over.  

Raise the wage to 15 dollars and what you will get is an all white staff, most likely with college degrees as that will be the requirement.  Corporations aren`t going to just throw 15 dollars an hour out the window to Jerome with two pending felonies and four kids at home and a "car note" for an 88 Grand Marquis.

No, they are going to look like Starbucks, but even more "hoity-toity".  Blacks will have to find somewhere else to work.

Its all quite amusing really.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
I'm already there buddy. I support two 1 percent families (mine and that of my-ex and kid). But I'm not going to lie about how things work.
were you born there or did you work for it?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
If a McDonald's worker misses a mortgage payment he looses his house.

If the investment banks and hedge funds that control McDonalds through their stock ownership come close to destroying the country's financial system due to gambling on bad mortgages they get bailed out by the McDonald's worker/taxpayer who lost his house.

How is that fair?
Because, without a robust financial system with safety nets, there wouldn`t be a "Mcdonald`s" (not that they would ever need a bailout) for the worker to "miss his payment" so in effect he would miss it anyways.

Also, there are plenty of safety nets for people and their mortgages.  There are a ton of options that they can take which is essentially a bailout and then some.  How you can compare the two is beyond me.  

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
lol so you cant define it?

Tony, it is defined as the value that is the very subject of the thread you're now posting in.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
Those of u who live outside of DC, LA and NYC don't get what's going on.
Who would want to live in those overpriced shit holes?  That is precisely the problem.  The standard of living in all of those areas are artificially high as a result of artificially paying higher salaries so everything is artificially higher.  8 or 9 dollars for 12 fucking eggs I think OneMoreRep said in parts of NY.  That is insane.

Fuck those locations. Yet you want to bring that sort of nonsense everywhere?  

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
Working a McD type job is not intended to nor was it ever intended to support a family.  It's an ENTRY LEVEL position ::)

The majority of workers who earn a minimum wage in the US work outside of the restaurant industry. In reality, only 5% of the 10 million restaurant employees earn the minimum wage. Those who do are predominantly teenagers working part-time.  According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 71% of minimum-wage employees in the restaurant industry are under the age of 25 and 47% are teenagers.

Politicians, labor unions and the media portray service jobs as inferior or less valuable to society than other kinds of employment. Instead of degrading this type of hard work, critics might consider the pride that many restaurant workers take in their jobs and the skills they learn.

Many Americans rely on the additional income and flexibility of these jobs.  Most restaurant workers are students with irregular schedules, teenagers saving for school or people who need a job with flexible hours that fit their busy lives.  Part-time, entry-level work fills a critical need in the nation's workforce.

85% percent of minimum wage employees are students, young people without kids or the second or third wage earner in their family. The average household income of a minimum wage earner is $62,507.

Restaurants train inexperienced workers – teaching them the skills they will need to succeed on any career path, whether in the foodservice industry, or elsewhere.

Ultimately, the fast food strike hurts and exploits low-wage workers, stifles recovery, and creates an environment where it is harder for young people to get their first jobs. If only the economically illiterate mainstream media could explain this instead of simply filming crowds.  ::)

Well there's intent and there's actuality. And in it's actuality, if these fast food or minimum wage jobs period have helped keep the 3.6 million people paid minimum wage and below employed and able to help provide necessities and luxuries for their families. Minimum wage is just that. The minimum amount of money they are allowed to pay you by law. Laborers., and the people get shit on by everyone and get paid shit money. But I remember working my minimum wage days and your average person can attest that you probably physically "worked" the hardest in those shit jobs. The federal min. wage in 1968 was $1.60. Adjusted for inflation is $10.47 per hour. So for anyone to argue that it shouldn't be at least that is a piece of shit or an idiot. It's going to vary state to state because of cost of living. e.g. It's more expensive to live in the city in New York and Los Angeles vs. Tupelo, Mississippi and San Antonio, Texas. So naturally min. wage is going to be higher in New York and L.A. and . So with the min. wage at 10.47 (adjusted for inflation) $15.00 dollars isn't out of the question at all depending on where you live. And as inflation increases minimum wage increases. If it were to decrease (not likely) the minimum wage would decrease.  

Like it or not, this is our new normal (till it gets worse). The people are usually fooled into thinking the stock market is an indicator as to how the economy is doing. It's not. unemployment is still high and these jobs popping up are part time jobs for the most part and people that quit looking for work are not counted in the numbers.  So these minimum wage jobs have much more value to them now. Lets say the wage is set at $15.00 an hour in this economy. You'll have a totally different applicant than you had before. smarter (on average) and more experienced. So the employer if he or she is hiring the correct way will certainly be getting their money's worth.  Businesses can easily absorb a higher minimum wage—with a small price increase or a small reduction in already very high profits. The argument that a higher minimum wage will be a job killer simply doesn’t pass the sniff test of basic economic arithmetic, and is contradicted by reams of serious economic research.

What it ends up being is plain and simple. The greedy rich in the big industries that have corporations that employ a mass of min. wage workers don't want to give up ANYTHING. Even if it doesn't really affect them. It's the principle to them. Make most money at all cost, including breaking the rules.  And do they have you all fighting their battle for them and you get jack shit for it.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
A lot of interesting replies in this thread. Both pro and con.

che

• Getbig V
 McDonald's Corp. more than tripled the pay packages last year for  CEO  Jim Skinner. ... In 2012, his pay package went up to $27.7 million from $8.8 million.

Hard working mofo

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Tony, it is defined as the value that is the very subject of the thread you're now posting in.

the subject of this thread is how much money someone should get paid, you just said it wasnt the paper the govt is printing.

would you make up your mind or just admit you cant define it and youre talking out of your ass like usual...

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
McDonald's Corp. more than tripled the pay packages last year for  CEO  Jim Skinner. ... In 2012, his pay package went up to $27.7 million from $8.8 million.

Hard working mofo

Great way to prove your point.  ::) What his salary, stock and benefits look like all other years?  What's sheer profit been for McDonald Corp include Chipotle and anything else they run? You took one year of who knows how many hes been in that position to prove your point.  ::)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
McDonald's Corp. more than tripled the pay packages last year for  CEO  Jim Skinner. ... In 2012, his pay package went up to $27.7 million from $8.8 million.

Hard working mofo

I believe he earned it via his duties.

Are you aware that Mcdonalds CEO Jim Skinner worked his way up from the VERY bottom of Mcdonalds, starting as a teenager?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Skinner

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Work and luck.
then you yourself should know exactly what shit it is youre trying to pass off as truth

The True Adonis

• Getbig V

Skinner graduated high school in 1962 at West High School in Davenport, Iowa,[2] he went on to start serving nearly ten years in the United States Navy, Skinner began his career with McDonald’s as a restaurant manager trainee in Carpentersville, Illinois in 1971, and since then has held numerous leadership positions. He never graduated from college.[3] He started out like so many other teenagers, working as an entry-level crew person at the old McDonald’s on Brady Street in Davenport.[4] Prior to becoming CEO, Skinner was President and Chief Operating Officer of the McDonald's Restaurant Group with corporate management responsibility for Asia, Middle East and Africa (AMEA), and Latin America. Prior to that, he was responsible for McDonald’s Japan Limited, their second-largest market. Skinner held numerous positions in the U.S. Corporation, including Director of Field Operations, Market Manager, Regional Vice President and U.S. Senior Vice President and Zone Manager.

che

• Getbig V
Great way to prove your point.  ::) What his salary, stock and benefits look like all other years?  What's sheer profit been for McDonald Corp include Chipotle and anything else they run? You took one year of who knows how many hes been in that position to prove your point.  ::)

What's my point fatso  ???

che

• Getbig V
I believe he earned it via his duties.

Are you aware that Mcdonalds CEO Jim Skinner worked his way up from the VERY bottom of Mcdonalds, starting as a teenager?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Skinner

Yes, I'm aware ,what's your point?

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
thread's making me hungry for some mcdonalds!
follow the arrows