Author Topic: Why do atheists think they're smarter than most people?  (Read 52192 times)

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
Re: Why do atheists think they're smarter than most people?
« Reply #525 on: November 14, 2013, 04:24:39 PM »
I still have never received a clear answer on what the purpose of being here even if there is a God and an afterlife.

I'm going to create and entire universe/multiverse with just one planet with life so you can be born to give yourself to Jesus to go to the afterlife and be happy for ever  ???

I tend to look at it this way.

No parent ever tells their children everything when they are first born or even after a year of two.  Such knowledge comes with the passage of time when they are better equipped to understand it.  This may be how it is for us.  Or, it may not.

All the best.

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #526 on: November 14, 2013, 04:36:49 PM »
The only reason people believe in an afterlife is because they fear death. Plain and simple.
some look forward to death, 70+ virgin waiting for them

very nice sexual promise.

but i wouldnt sign such contract, you never know if those virgons are hot, maybeits the bottom barral virgins who never got fucked for a reason(being ugly).

and when youre dead, you have no body, how to make sex with them?

n

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #527 on: November 14, 2013, 04:38:51 PM »
Simple answer.  They atheists don't believe in made up men in the sky or little devilish men living underground.  You know, the type of shit you tell kids to keep them from raping and stealing.
N

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #528 on: November 14, 2013, 06:10:09 PM »
The only reason people believe in an afterlife is because they fear death. Plain and simple.
No. Its because they cannot imagine life could be pointless, absurd, there has to be something better, or at least simply something else after it. They can fathom the possibility we could just be animals randomly killing each others aimlessly until we get wiped by an asteroid just like the dinosaurs. In the meanwhile we re all struggling to survive just like vegetals and other animal species. You could die at any moment struck by a car, a robber, a solar flash just like an eagle could catch a mouse in the grass. When it happens, there s no meaning, no justice or anything it just happens.

Even in religion we categorize people and even in religion there are dominating individuals and dominated individuals. But that's because it s the same everywhere in nature; it's always the same principles, alphas, and betas. Betas want to become alphas and alphas do their best to keep their place at the top. We are "intelligent" and can protect ourselves form many more dangers than other "dumber" animal species, but in the end the elites would still kill everyone else if needed, just like alpha lions would kill another male's offspring after defeating him if needed.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #529 on: November 14, 2013, 06:14:02 PM »
For me it's always been exactly the opposite.  If this life is all there is it makes it pretty simple to undertake.  Since we're basically cosmic trash we're virtually without genuine purpose and will eventually return to the cloud of expanding stardust that we originated from.  While here we can invent temporary purpose and live according to it, but it serves no greater end...it's barely fleeting.   There's a much greater responsibility in realizing there's far more ahead.  Belief in Christ comes with a price, with ridicule, with responsibility, with committment, with submission, with love, with compassion, with purpose.   This short life can be lived on your terms without God....it can be virtually whatever you choose it to be.    
but, there were men living in tribes everywhere on earth who didnt believe in God but were just as happy and did give a different meaning to life. Fact is gorillas, monkeys and so on all create societies with hierarchies and everyone has to know his place, just like in humans, there are alphas and so on and it's all about dominating or being dominated. Humans smell eachother's fear,  we all make noises with tongue, nose, have postures, etc to show signals to others , we are all forced to accept a position in a lader, we all fight for better access to ressources etc, just like monkeys or other animal species. There is no need for a god to do so.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #530 on: November 14, 2013, 06:17:29 PM »
No. Its because they cannot imagine life could be pointless, absurd, there has to be something better, or at least simply something else after it. They can fathom the possibility we could just be animals randomly killing each others aimlessly until we get wiped by an asteroid just like the dinosaurs.

Life is not pointless or absurd when you are enjoying it. I enjoy life. I have never aimlessly killed another, but the possibility of my getting wiped out by an asteroid exists. I'm not holding my breath until this happens though.

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #531 on: November 14, 2013, 06:21:08 PM »
No. Its because they cannot imagine life could be pointless, absurd, there has to be something better, or at least simply something else after it. They can fathom the possibility we could just be animals randomly killing each others aimlessly until we get wiped by an asteroid just like the dinosaurs. In the meanwhile we re all struggling to survive just like vegetals and other animal species.
however, were working on becoming undeathable.

well atleast the scientists do, im sure when it happens, only selected ppl will be able to get it or buy it

if they manage to put us in half robot half human body and replace the organs which fail first(youre always as old as your worst organ is in shape),then thats easy 200 years lifespan.

theres animals which reverse again process, theyre on that too,so far no avail.

and when they can manage to run the brain and eyes and nerous system, then the goal is reached.

then colonize other planets etcetc.

thats what some of the best scientists have in mind-dream of.

one of them is upset about the religions keeping down science for a while.

nice honorable thingking, but some wrong ppl will take advantage of this, as usual.
n

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #532 on: November 14, 2013, 06:23:38 PM »
Life is not pointless or absurd when you are enjoying it. I enjoy life. I have never aimlessly killed another, but the possibility of my getting wiped out by an asteroid exists. I'm not holding my breath until this happens though.
Your pleasure and happiness is always at the expense of someone else. Butmost people are taught it's alright; we re all passive aggressive, all pretending to be nice while calculating how to obtain as much as we can from others in order to insure our own survival. you are happy cause you were born at the right time, the economy was booming, tons of jobs, population was smaller, then it exploded, less and less jobs, more and more stress. Good for you grandpa. You were lucky, you re not worried about anything, no wonder you feel good and "dont care much about the future".

Also Laughing, joking is mostly always at the expense of someone else too. It's a defense mechanism that developed over time to face the absurd. Resources going to someone are going to lack for someone else. Nothing is free, no one is innocent. We re all animal who pretend they arent, some are luckier, better equipped to dominate than others, and will be happier. Good news if you enjoy life, it doesnt make it any less absurd intrinsically tho, especially for those who arent as lucky.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #533 on: November 14, 2013, 06:26:40 PM »

well atleast the scientists do, im sure when it happens, only selected ppl will be able to get it or buy it

if they manage to put us in half robot half human body and replace the organs which fail first(youre always as old as your worst organ is in shape),then thats easy 200 years lifespan.

and when they can manage to run the brain and eyes and nerous system, then the goal is reached.

nice honorable thingking, but some wrong ppl will take advantage of this, as usual.

you know, a student doesnt study to better the world. .. he study to survive, dominate others and get a lot of money. And his parents teach him to defend himself and dominate others; to be nice to those he will have interest to know, and to kill , ignore, eradicate those who will be an obstacle in his struggle for survival. This is what we are doing. We teach our kids to dominate instead of being dominated, justlike parents in other animal species teach their offsrping to defend, fight and dominate instead of being dominate/killed. We dont even choose any of it, not more than other animal, it's just programmed, enbeded in us and we do it subconsciously. And life goes on until for some random reason it gets annihilated by some random force or law of physics.

Why does life exist? Most will answer; to be happy, the point of life is hapiness. Yeah. Great. And how do you become happy? by dominating other life forms.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #534 on: November 14, 2013, 06:39:43 PM »

Ok, then what do we do once our evolved grandgrand grand kids reach a planet. They work, drink, eat, fuck get in fights, someone wants that beach, someone want that hill...someone wants control of that shiny stone,of that ass,  someone wants control of that funny plant that makes you feel good - when you smoke it; one dude is bigger than the other dude , but the smaller dude developed more intelligence to survive and compensate of his lack of muscle mass...and there we go again, conflict, physical, psychological war ad vitam eternam. Struggle, inequalities, wars over and over again. Fact is everysingle lifeform has noting else to do of its whole existence but struggle for its own survival.

I am afraid mankind will simply die out out of boredom. We re not "evolving ", and people in the west , the so called most advanced civilizations, are decimated by ever increasing rates of suicides you just dont hear about it -and there are many people living off of it-. Fact is we re just monkeys with more diversified, complex ways of interacting, but the bottom line is and will universally and eternally be the same; someone is spawned by someone else, and he has to struggle for survival, fight, or die from day one to his last. Being sucesful at surving makes you happy, being unsucesful for whatever reason frustrates you.
Life is a giant pointless random butchery. Humans have different ways to express, channel their inner energy, themselves, their libido; destroy or create. When they re frustrated they often destroy, when they re "happy" they create or are slaves earning their living. We re all slaves of life that spawned us even if we never asked anything in the first place. And we re all supposed to play the game, a game that is simply sumed by "killing or getting killed" for every single lifeform on earth. So;e people are better fit to play the game, start with a full deck, while others dont. Just like some animals are spawned with disabilites and others dont. Humans created charity and care because it gave jobs to some of them, because it could translate into a lucrative activity. In other animal species they ignore the weak and old, because they didnt develop economic systems , money. In our specie, we use the weak and old to make a living out of them and because we need their knowledges to better our own odds of survival.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #535 on: November 14, 2013, 08:48:28 PM »
some look forward to death, 70+ virgin waiting for them

very nice sexual promise.

but i wouldnt sign such contract, you never know if those virgons are hot, maybeits the bottom barral virgins who never got fucked for a reason(being ugly).

and when youre dead, you have no body, how to make sex with them?

V

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #536 on: November 15, 2013, 02:02:08 AM »
V

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #537 on: November 15, 2013, 05:38:43 AM »
but, there were men living in tribes everywhere on earth who didnt believe in God but were just as happy and did give a different meaning to life. Fact is gorillas, monkeys and so on all create societies with hierarchies and everyone has to know his place, just like in humans, there are alphas and so on and it's all about dominating or being dominated. Humans smell eachother's fear,  we all make noises with tongue, nose, have postures, etc to show signals to others , we are all forced to accept a position in a lader, we all fight for better access to ressources etc, just like monkeys or other animal species. There is no need for a god to do so.

Agreed and as I noted above:

This short life can be lived on your terms without God....it can be virtually whatever you choose it to be.   

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #538 on: November 15, 2013, 05:40:33 AM »

Hard atheists spend more time discussing God and religion than theists do LOL....figures they'd have a "church" so they can "avoid religion".

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Yes. Your retarted.
« Reply #539 on: November 15, 2013, 06:18:30 AM »
It's really simple.

The more intelligent you are - the more you respect your ability to research and understand the world around you.  The more you understand how far the human race has come in understanding the physical world around them.  

Cut to people who have suspended all that, in favour of faith.

Most of them are dumb c u n t s and it wouldn't matter if they are intelligent - they're not using or developing it whilst they studiously keep their head in the sand.

A typical example of this would be the frequently broached concept of when science admits it was "wrong" and reframes estimates associated with physics.  The religious see this as confirmation that god exists and science is hokum.  The intelligent people see this as progress and an increased accuracy - which still does not verify a man in the sky who gives Derek Anthony a kidney and lets better people die, every day.

If you're offended by the idea that you're being mostly in the company of dumb c u n t s, research average IQ by religious affiliation.  

If you're still offended by this fact, console yourself by placing yourself at the rightmost end of the bell curve that defines the range of intelligence of your faith.   Chances are - if you know what the bell curve is, you should be smart enough to drag yourself to the right side

The thing you have to remember is that being smarter than someone does not mean you "win".  There is no correlation between intelligence and happiness (certainly no positive correlation - and plenty that points to the opposite) and however you look at it, we are at the top of the food chain - there is only really one reason to exist and that's to enjoy life.

There is no essential truth to the idea that people in the first world are "happier" than those in the third world.  If your frame of reference is that you really want a new bucket for christmas and you don't know any better - are you less "happy" on the day than some snot nose shithead in the US gets his new playstation?  Of course not.  It means nothing.  There is only that which is in the eye of the beholder.

On the whole, Jews are amongst the most intelligent of the religious people I have witnessed - in terms of their leaders having their shit together.  They have answers for questions that Christians will lie, or dodge like the plague.  Say what you want about Jews - they aren't afraid of physics and that in itself has my respect.  Typical christian bullshit involves sensationalising something to make a hasty exit.

This is a waste of a friday night, answering this shit - you're going to believe what you want to believe, you are an individual and words like "most" apply in terms of averages.  All that I would say is it's constantly mystifying how closed minded most religious people are (hence the smarter idea) and you can't blame atheists for thinking that - regardless of the truth of the matter - there are millions of experiments that prove we know what we're talking about to a far greater extent than a book from thousands of years ago mistranslated, misrepresented and often selectively believed in could ever hope to satisfy anybody with a shred of self respect (for their own intellect), could.

I have heard christians talk about the complexity of biology as their stimulus for their beliefs - and I can get behind that, because at the very least it's based on some level of logical thought.  I mean, it's a big step for many to accept that regression iteration could produce such incredible complexity and I wouldn't really blame anybody for struggling to get their head around that.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #540 on: November 15, 2013, 06:56:25 AM »
LOL - Self converted Atheist

Matt was raised as a Baptist Christian and sought to become a Baptist minister. His religious studies, instead of bolstering his faith as he intended, led to him no longer believing Christianity and, eventually, all religions.  Only until recently, Matt was the president of the Atheist Community of Austin

"I want to believe as many true things as possible and as few false things as possible." - Matt Dillahunty
V

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #541 on: November 15, 2013, 07:12:35 AM »
LOL - Self converted Atheist

Matt was raised as a Baptist Christian and sought to become a Baptist minister. His religious studies, instead of bolstering his faith as he intended, led to him no longer believing Christianity and, eventually, all religions.  Only until recently, Matt was the president of the Atheist Community of Austin

"I want to believe as many true things as possible and as few false things as possible." - Matt Dillahunty

The atheist bible is a collection of works: The God Delusion, Atlas Shrugged, A Brief History of Time and the collected writings of David Hume

Atheist mega-preachers are Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins and Dan Dennett (note for the late Christopher Hitchens as well).  Head of the atheist deacons is Matt Dillahunty.
Atheist hymnals?  Couldn't say, but I figure John Lennon's "Imagine" would be sung often.

"Sought"....that's a great word people sling around.   I've sought out many things myself, but I claim virtually none of them.  Matt did not attend seminary or have any religious "schooling".   It's just padding for his atheist resume....makes him look "legit".    It's like saying "I work at law firm and currently we're working on two big cases."  The implication for most being "I'm an attorney that attended law school" when in fact you're neither, but yes you worked for the firm in some capacity.....could be reception, could be IT, could be accounting.

Now here's the reality.  Matt is an honest, intelligent man who has acquired a great deal of knowledge who is also a skilled, spirited debator.  I've seen his public atheist program based out of Austin many, many times and I've watched many of their youtube broadcasts as well.  I've also watched a few of his debates on youtube.  

He and his crew could teach a master class in the art of the condescending smile.

Matt Dillahunty would definitely be on the top of the list to replace the late Christoper Hitchens as one of the Four Horsemen.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #542 on: November 15, 2013, 07:20:55 AM »
to be honest, atheism is a depressing religion. I have written many things on here, to my "virtual audience" and e-friends, but i have never been able to come up with anything that encourages life, so I think it should be better for everyone to refrain from pretending to know "the truth" especially if that truth destroys life instead of promoting it, and to let people find the answer in God himself, instead of me. I'm just a man.

All I can say is that I have been saved two times now. Ill keep doubting, and hope Love will allow me to stop doubting.

I'll keep telling my thoughts cause im human and need to share,but only when they are positive tho -ill try my best-, and advise people again to listen to God directly instead of me. After all most of the genuinely positive stuff i wrote i deducted from reading the Bible, not from observing the world with atheist eyes.

I would like to thank MOS for his genuine humble faith, the way he spreads it and arce who I hope will understand the best of what i ve come with, was inspired  by God Himself.

He is the alpha and the omega, an He sees all. Men are nothing compared to Him.

Hope I'm not too pompous, God doesnt want our lives to be pompous, he wants them to be fulfiled , full of joy, we are the ones who dont want to often because we want to be god himself. The possibility to make a choice exists.

God is in every single of us, he is the best of ourselves.

A very interesting website; http://www.godandscience.org/

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #543 on: November 15, 2013, 07:35:42 AM »

Matt Dillahunty would definitely be on the top of the list to replace the late Christoper Hitchens as one of the Four Horsemen.

I suspect Christoper Hitchens was God himself who visited briefly in a failed attempt to eradicate religion and get the millions of god botherers off his back.  ;D

V

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #544 on: November 15, 2013, 08:18:26 AM »
 ;)

V

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #545 on: November 15, 2013, 08:56:03 AM »
;)

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! "I has a baseball"

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #546 on: November 15, 2013, 09:09:31 AM »
Just because a belief is from the past, doesnt mean it is inappropriate or "wrong" because things have "evolved". Nothing evolved. We re the same. The basic rules of life never and will never evolved. There are many things from the past that are still useful nowadays, and will still be in the future.
We got access to new stuff, but the need to do a good use of what we re allowed to discover still necessitates faith/spirituality, or our intelligence and strenghts would be badly used and could destroy everything. Also there are many things we still dont understand. Many times in the past did men need to restart, re learn everything after destroying it all. It could have happened somewhere else in the universe. Again there are many things we dont know, we dont see. But there are things we know work, and we often write them on stone, paper , keyboard to get recognition, a salary, and to improve other people lives in return.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #547 on: November 15, 2013, 09:12:01 AM »
I tend to look at it this way.

No parent ever tells their children everything when they are first born or even after a year of two.  Such knowledge comes with the passage of time when they are better equipped to understand it.  This may be how it is for us.  Or, it may not.

All the best.
anthropomorphism; you explain how an entity works by subconsciously giving it human traits because that's all you know/been exposed to. Still, it doesnt mean you re wrong and I personally think the same. It makes sense.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #548 on: November 15, 2013, 09:14:41 AM »
to be honest, atheism is a depressing religion. I have written many things on here, to my "virtual audience" and e-friends, but i have never been able to come up with anything that encourages life, so I think it should be better for everyone to refrain from pretending to know "the truth" especially if that truth destroys life instead of promoting it, and to let people find the answer in God himself, instead of me. I'm just a man.

All I can say is that I have been saved two times now. Ill keep doubting, and hope Love will allow me to stop doubting.

I'll keep telling my thoughts cause im human and need to share,but only when they are positive tho -ill try my best-, and advise people again to listen to God directly instead of me. After all most of the genuinely positive stuff i wrote i deducted from reading the Bible, not from observing the world with atheist eyes.

I would like to thank MOS for his genuine humble faith, the way he spreads it and arce who I hope will understand the best of what i ve come with, was inspired  by God Himself.

He is the alpha and the omega, an He sees all. Men are nothing compared to Him.

Hope I'm not too pompous, God doesnt want our lives to be pompous, he wants them to be fulfiled , full of joy, we are the ones who dont want to often because we want to be god himself. The possibility to make a choice exists.

God is in every single of us, he is the best of ourselves.

A very interesting website; http://www.godandscience.org/

I read a lot of heart, humility and strength in this post!!!  Thanks uberman!!

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #549 on: November 18, 2013, 03:07:56 PM »
Uberman you fucking moron, atheism is not a religion by definiton.