Author Topic: Looking Back - Blasts from the past  (Read 343613 times)

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
Re: Looking Back - Blasts from the past
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2013, 10:51:40 PM »
i disagree

Yates was an established name, they were already talking about in him 1990 being the guy to upset haney in 91

Dorian was given a lot of build up and publicity by peter mc gough

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2013, 12:51:08 AM »
Great thread Tony. Ron Love was my trainer circa 2003.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2013, 08:37:09 AM »
Great thread Tony. Ron Love was my trainer circa 2003.
I  remember u saying that ,guy was a beast,sick delts.

ultra_blue

• Getbig II
« Reply #103 on: September 26, 2013, 11:35:32 PM »
thanks for sharing these photos brotha, i really appreciate it.  i miss the 90's.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2013, 05:25:30 PM »
Removing sticky (for now) to leave more room up top.  Remind me to put it back after this weekend if warranted.
:

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2013, 05:59:54 PM »
Lets not forget how good Sonny Schmidt was.
He took on the world with very little knowledge, a tight budget, no gurus.
Placed top 6 in his first Olympia as an unknown.

He built his body on carbs, you have never seen anybody eat more rice than him. 3 meals a day, never counted calories and still made it.
I laugh at all the people, guys and girls that get a prep coach for their first contest or take a year off work to do a novice show.

Sonny was the most humble person I ever met, he taught me so much and I miss him to this day.

Damn...Imagine this guy with the amount of oil Heath puts in his arms...Top 5 instantly...

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: September 27, 2013, 06:01:06 PM »
Thanks man.  Big compliment.  I'm still trying to stay in shape.  But competing days are over.

(semi-homo)

Looking good Grant...

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: September 27, 2013, 06:02:18 PM »
Great thread...

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #108 on: September 30, 2013, 06:51:16 PM »
Glad you are all enjoying the thread.

I have heaps more stuff to post but have been at the Olympia for the last week or so and just got back in now. 
It was a great weekend and nice to catch up with Ronaldo at the show.

You can check out all of my interviews backstage at:  http://npcnewsonline.com

TD

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #109 on: October 01, 2013, 06:37:35 PM »
Sonny, Momo and Vince at Arnold 1992

Sonny had gone to USA at nearly 300lb (fat) 7 weeks earlier and dieted like crazy to make it. I still remember the night before the show, he took some extra tablets to lose more water and woke up cramping like a demon in the middle of the night. It was pretty scary and he was in a bad way. I knew it was a  sodium imbalance, so off I went into the night to try and fix it. I broke in to the hotel restaurant which had been closed for hours. All I could find was a salt shaker on a table. I tipped most of it into a can of coke and made him drink it all. Withing 10 minutes the cramps had gone and the next morning he was fine, big and full and ready to rock.

Vince was unbeatable that day, his skin was see through and it was the day he unleashed the terminator routine. Momo was 2nd and Sonny 3rd.
I sat next to his wife and asked how heavy he was, guessing 225. She said no he was 205. Just shows that weight don't matter when you are in that kind of condition.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2013, 12:46:49 AM »
Tony, from your memories, who gave the best illusion? Meaning, who looked impressive but in person was not massive so to speak?

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2013, 06:06:46 AM »
Tony, from your memories, who gave the best illusion? Meaning, who looked impressive but in person was not massive so to speak?

I remember Yates at the '91 Olympia on our way back stage. In his sweat top, he didn't look much. But when he took of the shirt and started pumping up was fucking huge and peeled. It was probably his smallest Olympia size but in clothes you could never tell.

The other was Shawn Ray. In clothes he looked like a regular dude. he dressed kind of normal, like jeans and a shirt or jacket and not the average meat head getup. I remember picking him up at the airport once and thought he just blended in to the crowd. Once again, when he stripped of and started hitting shots, was unbelievable. One of the best ever but you couldn't tell in clothes.

Labrada was another, I thought he was a small dude, at the Olympia in Finland, he held his own against everyone. Off stage you just couldn't tell.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2013, 06:16:32 AM »
I remember Yates at the '91 Olympia on our way back stage. In his sweat top, he didn't look much. But when he took of the shirt and started pumping up was fucking huge and peeled. It was probably his smallest Olympia size but in clothes you could never tell.

The other was Shawn Ray. In clothes he looked like a regular dude. he dressed kind of normal, like jeans and a shirt or jacket and not the average meat head getup. I remember picking him up at the airport once and thought he just blended in to the crowd. Once again, when he stripped of and started hitting shots, was unbelievable. One of the best ever but you couldn't tell in clothes.

Labrada was another, I thought he was a small dude, at the Olympia in Finland, he held his own against everyone. Off stage you just couldn't tell.
GOOD STUFF....

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2013, 09:55:16 PM »
tONY

did you ever bring Vic richards out to Australia?

do you think he was bigger than Kovacs?

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2013, 12:25:10 AM »
tONY

did you ever bring Vic richards out to Australia?

do you think he was bigger than Kovacs?

Yes I did in about 1995.

He was big but pretty soft. He had much better shape than Kovacs but at the time Kovacs was much, much bigger.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2013, 12:44:28 AM »
Another shot of Vic in my old gym with Sonny's brother Pale.

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2013, 12:50:21 AM »
Sonny looked great in the pics.

Best thread on gb. Keep it coming thony i love the storys and pics (yes homo)

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: October 03, 2013, 03:10:50 AM »
How did you manage to feed his 30000 cals a day eating habbit?

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #118 on: October 03, 2013, 05:59:17 AM »
How did you manage to feed his 30000 cals a day eating habbit?

All he ate was chicken and rice, 2 chicken breasts and a ton of rice every single meal.
6-8 times a day.

I asked him what he had when had a cheat day, he said an extra serve of chicken and rice.
This guy could seriously eat, never seen anything like it.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #119 on: October 03, 2013, 06:24:56 AM »
All he ate was chicken and rice, 2 chicken breasts and a ton of rice every single meal.
6-8 times a day.

I asked him what he had when had a cheat day, he said an extra serve of chicken and rice.
This guy could seriously eat, never seen anything like it.

So no extra weight gainers or blended food? Chicken & rice only is prob 4000-6000 kcals max.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: October 03, 2013, 08:02:25 AM »
So no extra weight gainers or blended food? Chicken & rice only is prob 4000-6000 kcals max.
Not sure but he might have overstated his caloric intake...slightly.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #121 on: October 03, 2013, 08:40:26 AM »
Not sure but he might have overstated his caloric intake...slightly.

A victim of his own ego..

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #122 on: October 03, 2013, 10:28:04 AM »

Vince was unbeatable that day, his skin was see through and it was the day he unleashed the terminator routine.

I thnk Vince had done the terminator routine in Haney's last Olympia.  Remember the "malfunction" when he targeted Haney?
Y

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: October 03, 2013, 10:54:16 AM »
Sonny, Momo and Vince at Arnold 1992

Sonny had gone to USA at nearly 300lb (fat) 7 weeks earlier and dieted like crazy to make it. I still remember the night before the show, he took some extra tablets to lose more water and woke up cramping like a demon in the middle of the night. It was pretty scary and he was in a bad way. I knew it was a  sodium imbalance, so off I went into the night to try and fix it. I broke in to the hotel restaurant which had been closed for hours. All I could find was a salt shaker on a table. I tipped most of it into a can of coke and made him drink it all. Withing 10 minutes the cramps had gone and the next morning he was fine, big and full and ready to rock.

Vince was unbeatable that day, his skin was see through and it was the day he unleashed the terminator routine. Momo was 2nd and Sonny 3rd.
I sat next to his wife and asked how heavy he was, guessing 225. She said no he was 205. Just shows that weight don't matter when you are in that kind of condition.

the routine Vince did that day was the best in the history of the sport.  I can't believe I haven't seen it on youtube ever.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: October 03, 2013, 10:59:29 AM »

Dorian worked out at my gym a week after his second win.  there were two guys in my gym that looked bigger than Dorian in sweatshirts.  but he posed that night, and no one could believe he could look that unreal.  how he hid all that muscle under that sweatshirt still baffles me.