Author Topic: Looking Back - Blasts from the past  (Read 345470 times)

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Looking Back - Blasts from the past
« Reply #225 on: November 25, 2013, 08:54:34 PM »
Check this out, I have never posted this anywhere, 20 year old fax from Louie

Wao  this is Gold Tony !

Don't know how I missed this thread  but I do remember Lou talking on ET and mentioning this exact diet back in 93'!  he was ripped and dry at about 320 lbs! ( for some reason I didn't believe he was actually  telling the truth) ....but one learns later (20 years) later to be exact. 

Thanks a lot !

WoooSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHH

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #226 on: November 26, 2013, 12:00:19 AM »
 :)
a

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #227 on: November 26, 2013, 12:06:58 AM »
How the F have I missed this thread?

Great stuff Tony. Thank you for taking the time to post so many great unseen pictures.
a

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #228 on: November 26, 2013, 03:58:49 AM »
How the F have I missed this thread?

Great stuff Tony. Thank you for taking the time to post so many great unseen pictures.

Hey Tommy, I thought you were ignoring my thread. haha.

Much, much, more to come brother. Hope you are well.

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #229 on: November 27, 2013, 07:53:26 PM »
Hey Tommy, I thought you were ignoring my thread. haha.

Much, much, more to come brother. Hope you are well.

hey Tony you had Kovacs down under way back right?
"

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #230 on: November 27, 2013, 09:01:53 PM »
hey Tony you had Kovacs down under way back right?

Yes I did in '97, I will post up a story soon. He was pretty funny.

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #231 on: December 03, 2013, 07:49:26 PM »
:)

robbie making boyer and louie look blocky!

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #232 on: December 03, 2013, 08:47:43 PM »
robbie making boyer and louie look blocky!

the 3 of them had great biceps..

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #233 on: December 04, 2013, 01:41:50 AM »
So here is a little story and a tribute to Kovaks.

The first time I met Greg was in Buffalo New York, I had traveled there with Sonny for his pro debut. It was the old Niagara Falls Pro show and I got to MC it, so it was a very memorable show for me. There were guys there from the WWF representing Vince McMahon and trying to steal talent from the IFBB ranks. They talked briefly to Sonny, a giant Samoan would have been a huge draw for them. He wasn't interested as he had waited his whole career to turn pro and was over the moon to be a part of the IFBB.

This huge kid from Canada came and introduced himself, he loved Sonny's physique and declared himself a fan. Sonny was rapt as he had only been there one day and didn't have a big fan base. This kid was Greg Kovacs who talked about his dream of turning pro one day. It wasn't until years later that Greg was the biggest bodybuilder on the planet, that he reminded us of that meeting all those years ago.

When I had him guest posing in Melbourne in '97 he was huge, the first 400lber, made famous by those Muscletech adverts. I remember a few things from the tour. He had his wife Kim with him, she fussed over him like nothing I had ever seen. Greg was a real sweater and when he ate would sweat up a treat. As soon as head would bead up on the forehead she would go into a panic "Greg, Greg, wait up, wait up, oh Greg" She would tear into his bag and out with a towel to wipe his brow and a little portable battery operated fan. She would sit there holding the fan and wiping his brow until he was done eating. From memory, she even chopped up his food and would have spoon fed it to him if required.

I remember going backstage to get him to come out and pose. I knocked on his change room door loudly, "Hey Greg, your on, lets do it!" No answer, again I knocked, "Hey Greg, your on, lets go!" I hear a muffled reply, "I'll be out soon". So this goes on for about 10 minutes, still he won't come out. So I went into my change room adjacent to his and put my ear to the wall to hear what the fuck was going on. It went something like this, "Kimmy I feel small, they're going to laugh at me, I don't want to go out there." Kim was reassuring him, "Greg, you're the biggest guy they have ever seen, they will love you, c'mon you can do it." This went back and forth until he finds his mojo and calls out, "I'm ready"

I introduce him, he brings the house down. All is good.

We had a young guy in the show called Ahmad Popol, a refugee from Afghanistan, He was a good kid that hung around the gym and loved to compete. He was about 120lbs. So we brought him out to pose with Greg who was agreat sport about it. As a promoter I was spruiking "The world's biggest bodybuilder meets the world's smallest bodybuilder!" The crowd loved it and we had a great show.

He was a nice guy and easy to work with, despite overheating, lacking confidence and being out of breath most of the time.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #234 on: December 04, 2013, 11:12:26 AM »

The first time I met Greg was in Buffalo New York, I had traveled there with Sonny for his pro debut. It was the old Niagara Falls Pro show and I got to MC it, so it was a very memorable show for me. There were guys there from the WWF representing Vince McMahon and trying to steal talent from the IFBB ranks. They talked briefly to Sonny, a giant Samoan would have been a huge draw for them. He wasn't interested as he had waited his whole career to turn pro and was of the moon to be a part of the IFBB.

This huge kid from Canada came and introduced himself, he loved Sonny's physique and declared himself a fan. Sonny was rapt as he had only been there one day and didn't have a big fan base. This kid was Greg Kovacs who talked about his dream of turning pro one day. It wasn't until years later that Greg was the biggest bodybuilder on the planet, that he reminded us of that meeting all those years ago.

When I had him guest posing in Melbourne in '97 he was huge, the first 400lber, made famous by those Muscletech adverts. I remember a few things from the tour. He had his wife Kim with him, she fussed over him like nothing I had ever seen. Greg was a real sweater and when he ate would sweat up a treat. As soon as head would bead up on the forehead she would go into a panic "Greg, Greg, wait up, wait up, oh Greg" She would tear into his bag and out with a towel to wipe his brow and a little portable battery operated fan. She would sit there holding the fan and wiping his brow until he was done eating. From memory, she even chopped up his food and would have spoon fed it to him if required.

I remember going backstage to get him to come out and pose. I knocked on his change room door loudly, "Hey Greg, your on, lets do it!" No answer, again I knocked, "Hey Greg, your on, lets go!" I hear a muffled reply, "I'll be out soon". So this goes on for about 10 minutes, still he won't come out. So I went into my change room adjacent to his and put my ear to the wall to hear what the fuck was going on. It went something like this, "Kimmy I feel small, they're going to laugh at me, I don't want to go out there." Kim was reassuring him, "Greg, you're the biggest guy they have ever seen, they will love you, c'mon you can do it." This went back and forth until he finds his mojo and calls out, "I'm ready"

We had a young guy in the show called Ahmad Popol, a refugee from Afghanistan, He was a good kid that hung around the gym and loved to compete. He was about 120lbs. So we brought him out to pose with Greg who was agreat sport about it. As a promoter I was spruiking "The world's biggest bodybuilder meets the world's smallest bodybuilder!" The crowd loved it and we had a great show.

He was a nice guy and easy to work with, despite overheating, lacking confidence and being out of breath most of the time.

good story, hard to believe kovacs thought he was small.reminds me of the book little big men by alan m klein.
F

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #235 on: December 04, 2013, 08:01:02 PM »
great story about Kovacs TD

so it would seem the Nasser stories about Kovacs were also true and not fiction?

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #236 on: December 05, 2013, 07:54:47 AM »

The first time I met Greg was in Buffalo New York, I had traveled there with Sonny for his pro debut. It was the old Niagara Falls Pro show and I got to MC it, so it was a very memorable show for me. There were guys there from the WWF representing Vince McMahon and trying to steal talent from the IFBB ranks. They talked briefly to Sonny, a giant Samoan would have been a huge draw for them. He wasn't interested as he had waited his whole career to turn pro and was over the moon to be a part of the IFBB.

Man severe case of Bigorexia!

mik1111

• Getbig III
« Reply #237 on: December 05, 2013, 12:56:24 PM »
the weird world of bodybuilding.
no wonder you claim to have tons of stories like these. BBs are fascinating human beings.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #238 on: December 05, 2013, 09:42:25 PM »
Ok time for some more old pics that you would not have seen.

Munzer and Milos backstage somewhere on the road.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #239 on: December 05, 2013, 09:43:54 PM »
Levrone ruling the stage. i think this may have been the day we got drinking after the prejudging. (See earlier story)

travisma

• Getbig II
« Reply #240 on: December 06, 2013, 04:10:55 AM »
Hey Tony,

Time for a coffee.....I was looking at all these photos thinking that I would like to sit down with you and put together a book for Dohertys with all these cool photos and comments from you through out..... I think everyone in OZ would want a copy of what you have... I know I do...

What u think?

Travis

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #241 on: December 08, 2013, 01:56:58 AM »
Milos looked awesome there. True pussyslayer looks

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #242 on: December 08, 2013, 03:11:05 AM »
Hey Tony,

Time for a coffee.....I was looking at all these photos thinking that I would like to sit down with you and put together a book for Dohertys with all these cool photos and comments from you through out..... I think everyone in OZ would want a copy of what you have... I know I do...

What u think?

Travis

What do I think?

I think you're right, it is time for a coffee.

stavios

• Getbig III
« Reply #243 on: December 09, 2013, 04:36:51 PM »
Cool ass pic of Milos

What a cool guy, I'll always remember when I met him
such a positive and confident man

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #244 on: December 12, 2013, 02:24:05 AM »
Great Kovacs story.

DeketheCreep

• Getbig IV
  • then does a head stand and spread his ass apart!
« Reply #245 on: December 17, 2013, 09:48:47 PM »
97 was the year of Kovacs,I remember reading about him in flex with him on the cover haha  kovacs was a freakin Monster! Thanks Tony!

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
« Reply #246 on: December 18, 2013, 02:00:33 PM »

perkele i missed this post. Really entertaining to read lol. Cant belive that a guy like kovacs at that time feels small. More of storys like this td. Awesome thread.

How was milos? He gets alot of shit here but i never understood why, people that have met him all say he had a really good attitude.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #247 on: December 18, 2013, 02:14:51 PM »
Milos a good guy true his wife took him for some change, but had to get out of town or go to jail bottom line.

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
« Reply #248 on: December 20, 2013, 12:43:11 AM »
Milos a good guy true his wife took him for some change, but had to get out of town or go to jail bottom line.
yeah to bad, he seemed to enjoyed his life with the gym and weider contract he had before the paul chua incident etc.

Dobt understand why people dont like him here..he was by far one of the posters here that gave the best advices and tips

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #249 on: December 21, 2013, 10:55:21 AM »
Watched a qualifier today on channel 5 (in the UK) for the WSM 2013 from Australia,and in a couple of clips the guys were wearing Dohertys gym t shirts.Worldwide fame now Tony.