Author Topic: Looking Back - Blasts from the past  (Read 344169 times)

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
Re: Looking Back - Blasts from the past
« Reply #275 on: January 24, 2014, 03:41:02 PM »
Any more stories Tony? How about feeding the pro's on diets when they come to a show?

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #276 on: January 25, 2014, 03:31:24 PM »
this is a great thread!!!!

would love to hear more from Tony!!!!

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #277 on: January 26, 2014, 06:52:07 PM »
Any more stories Tony? How about feeding the pro's on diets when they come to a show?

So what I do every year is have food waiting for the pros when they land. Australian customs does not allow any food through, so we have to be ready. I learned a long time back that the easiest way to deal with dieting athletes is to make clean food available and easy to access. The days they arrive we have chicken fillets, lean steak, turkey, fish grilled fresh with no additives. We have steamed rice, sweet potato and greens ready to go. Then I put them in serviced apartments rather than a hotel, that way they have full kitchens in every room, a stove, fridge, pots and pans etc. There is a 24 hour supermarket right across from my main gym so it works well.

The most I have ever seen anybody eat is Kai, he can put down more protein a single meal than anyone I have ever met.

Strangest request was Craig Titus who needed 12 cans of regular full sugar coke to have after competing to rehydrate.

Chris Cormier and Dexter both ate Thai chilli chicken, full of salt and Asian sauces and still won the show, so much for clean food!

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #278 on: January 26, 2014, 10:32:02 PM »
ok Tony.......I have several questions for you.

How many pro shows have you mced?

what is your favorite exercise in the gym?

what was titus like when you were around him?

what else did dex and cormier eat while they were in Australia?

how did you get involved in promoting bbing shows?

thanks in advance.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #279 on: January 26, 2014, 10:39:10 PM »

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #280 on: January 27, 2014, 03:56:37 AM »
ok Tony.......I have several questions for you.

How many pro shows have you mced?

Pro shows About 20-25 in Australia, New Zealand, USA, UK and India
Amateur over 100

what is your favorite exercise in the gym?

Don't really have a favourite exercise, just love training and try to do something every day

what was titus like when you were around him?

He was pretty cool around but I could see something simmering below the surface, I will tell some stories later. Having said that he was a stand up guy and proved that to me on a few occasions.

what else did dex and cormier eat while they were in Australia?

Pretty much anything they wanted, not really diet food which was funny cause they always beat the guys that were stressing about clean food.

how did you get involved in promoting bbing shows?

Long story, will tell that one later.

thanks in advance.

Cool, keep the questions coming

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #281 on: January 27, 2014, 10:39:25 AM »
what is your daily diet like?

what do you like pre workout?

what do you like post workout?

who is your favorite bber of all time?

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #282 on: January 27, 2014, 04:40:43 PM »

We had Rick Flair in at our City Gym about 2-3 years ago.

I had instructed my staff that the Hulk Hogan wrestling show was in town, so if any of them came in they were to be looked after. This usually involves free training and a couple of Doherty's Gym tee shirts etc.

So in walks Rick Flair that night, tanned up, peroxide blond hair, looking very Hollywood and the young guy at the desk had no idea in the world who he was. Young David charged him the $10 casual fee and sold him a couple of tees. While he was training someone came out to David and said, "Hey that's pretty cool, Rick Flair is training here" So David called me a bit rattled not knowing what to do. When he had finished training he sheepishly apologized and refunded his money for the clothes and workout. Rick was really cool and laughed it off.

From then on I called out "Whooo" every time I saw David, who unfortunately was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident a little while later at just 21.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #283 on: January 28, 2014, 02:43:18 AM »
what is your daily diet like?

what do you like pre workout?

what do you like post workout?

who is your favorite bber of all time?

1.   My daily diet is pretty basic. I eat 3 times on average.
Meal 1 Grilled chicked, 3 poached eggs, feta and a slice of sourdough toast.
Meal 2 Grilled chicken salad, avacado, lettuce, chicken and feta.
Meal 3 Steak and white rice
Sometimes I have a shake before bed, maybe 2-3 times a week.

2.  I train on an empty stomach, all I have is 2 strong Italian coffees, I get up at 5 or 6 and seldom eat before 9AM.
3.  Post workout is meal one, see above. I sip water and BCAAs while I train.

4. Favourite bodybuilder. That's a difficult one.

Inspiration  =  Arnold  He was the first bodybuilder I ever saw on TV and it changed my destiny in an instant.

Old Timer  =  Sergio  I thought he was incredible, just years ahead of his time.

Best I have seen  =  Ronnie, seriously no one comes even close to his level and probably wont for many years to come.

Best mate  =  Chris Cormier, my biggest supporter when no one else believed in my vision. Friend for life.

Best company  =  Phil Heath, he loves talking good shit. We hardly ever discuss bodybuilding, which is so refreshing. We talk about family, cars, sport, life, fast cars, custom cars, more cars. Cool fucker all the way.

Most interesting  =  Kai, he is possibly the most talented human I have ever met. I cant say more here but this guy has a lot to offer the world. Spend quality time with Kai and you will walk away a better person.

Genetic freak  =  Kevin, dude is from another planet. I still believe he could get in ridiculous shape and shake it all up.

Hardest working  =  Dorian, he won by grit, discipline and using everyone elses weaknesses as his fuel. Did it all on his own terms, period!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #284 on: January 28, 2014, 11:27:50 AM »
1.   My daily diet is pretty basic. I eat 3 times on average.
Meal 1 Grilled chicked, 3 poached eggs, feta and a slice of sourdough toast.
Meal 2 Grilled chicken salad, avacado, lettuce, chicken and feta.
Meal 3 Steak and white rice
Sometimes I have a shake before bed, maybe 2-3 times a week.

2.  I train on an empty stomach, all I have is 2 strong Italian coffees, I get up at 5 or 6 and seldom eat before 9AM.
3.  Post workout is meal one, see above. I sip water and BCAAs while I train.

4. Favourite bodybuilder. That's a difficult one.

Inspiration  =  Arnold  He was the first bodybuilder I ever saw on TV and it changed my destiny in an instant.

Old Timer  =  Sergio  I thought he was incredible, just years ahead of his time.

Best I have seen  =  Ronnie, seriously no one comes even close to his level and probably wont for many years to come.

Best mate  =  Chris Cormier, my biggest supporter when no one else believed in my vision. Friend for life.

Best company  =  Phil Heath, he loves talking good shit. We hardly ever discuss bodybuilding, which is so refreshing. We talk about family, cars, sport, life, fast cars, custom cars, more cars. Cool fucker all the way.

Most interesting  =  Kai, he is possibly the most talented human I have ever met. I cant say more here but this guy has a lot to offer the world. Spend quality time with Kai and you will walk away a better person.

Genetic freak  =  Kevin, dude is from another planet. I still believe he could get in ridiculous shape and shake it all up.

Hardest working  =  Dorian, he won by grit, discipline and using everyone elses weaknesses as his fuel. Did it all on his own terms, period!

TOP NOTCH POST TONY...

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #285 on: January 28, 2014, 12:46:16 PM »
Dorian was great, I liked him, but felt bad that he never really revealed his diet, contest prep or drug use. I heard from my trainer Ron Love that he was very very disciplined with his diet no matter what. Were you around him at the time and do you remember what he ate?

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #286 on: January 28, 2014, 04:07:43 PM »
Dorian was great, I liked him, but felt bad that he never really revealed his diet, contest prep or drug use. I heard from my trainer Ron Love that he was very very disciplined with his diet no matter what. Were you around him at the time and do you remember what he ate?

ya, that would have been interesting to know.

Schmoff

• Getbig V
« Reply #287 on: January 28, 2014, 06:52:51 PM »

any story about ron love?

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #288 on: January 28, 2014, 08:57:33 PM »

Dorian's discipline was his greatest strength. I remember interviewing him back then and I asked how he kept beating the genetic freaks like Flex Wheeler, Levrone etc. His answer was simple. it went something like this.

"While they are missing workouts and having days off, I'm training even harder. When they cheat on their diet I go harder, when they go out and party, I grab an early night. You see I know they are weaker than me and that what allows me to beat them"

I had Dorian guest posing at a show 3 weeks after his first Olympia win, he was eating tuna straight out of a can, I asked why he was doing that, his reply revealed what a decent man he was. "those people have paid to see me and I wouldn't want to rip them off."

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #289 on: January 29, 2014, 06:06:14 AM »
Dorian's discipline was his greatest strength. I remember interviewing him back then and I asked how he kept beating the genetic freaks like Flex Wheeler, Levrone etc. His answer was simple. it went something like this.

"While they are missing workouts and having days off, I'm training even harder. When they cheat on their diet I go harder, when they go out and party, I grab an early night. You see I know they are weaker than me and that what allows me to beat them"

I had Dorian guest posing at a show 3 weeks after his first Olympia win, he was eating tuna straight out of a can, I asked why he was doing that, his reply revealed what a decent man he was. "those people have paid to see me and I wouldn't want to rip them off."
YES kev and wheeler were genetic freaks,so was he mentally/physically not as pretty as them but that post said a lot about him.cool.he had an aura about him and he posed his body to his greates strengths,had some impressive signature poses.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #290 on: January 29, 2014, 12:26:45 PM »

1992 Australia I was there.

Yates walks out and there is silence for the first few seconds. Nobody could believe it.

That was the year he over dieted so two weeks after the show he had basically just filled out. He was very lean still and HUGE.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #291 on: January 29, 2014, 04:59:20 PM »
1992 Australia I was there.

Yates walks out and there is silence for the first few seconds. Nobody could believe it.

That was the year he over dieted so two weeks after the show he had basically just filled out. He was very lean still and HUGE.

Yes I still remember that vividly, first time I have seen an audience shocked into silence.

I had always said that pics didn't do him justice, well that's what the audience found out that day.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #292 on: January 30, 2014, 06:39:50 AM »
Great stuff Tony

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #293 on: January 30, 2014, 01:29:45 PM »
When Ron Love trained me, I spent another hour after pestering him with questions every single time  ;D

He ate very clean year round and there was very little variation in his diet. Eggwhites, chicken and brocolli 6 times a day for example all prepacked in tupperware. I thought you are supposed to eat like that so when dieting I would eat very monotonous as well. Every day.

The fluctuations in his shape came from experimenting with different compounds, diuretics, etc.

Training was light weights, strict form, 15 sec breaks and it was gruesome. I was beat. A workout never lasted past 30 min. That was it.

He aslo taught me about cycles with just deca and equipoise. For a certain look. The only other time I ever heard someone promoting this stack was disgusted in his last radio interview. No wonder I think he is very good at what he does. He understands how certain compounds give you a certain look.  

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #294 on: January 30, 2014, 02:35:59 PM »
TD

thanks for answering all those questions
great info

do you have any pics of the Dorian guest pose from 92 you could please post up>?

BigAnt

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • What don't kill me...makes me stronger
« Reply #295 on: January 31, 2014, 08:17:24 PM »
Tony great thread!

Regarding Sonny (RIP) I know you mentioned he ate a "high" carb diet and was always in great pre-contest shape-he and Milos were tight, do you think at that time they were using insulin?

They both trained with great volume and always said bodybuilders from the US were lazy and they both did not believe in over-training!  I read in some older 90's mags and spoke to Milos in person several times... they used to do up to 25-30 sets for smaller body parts like arms-chest-shoulders and even more for back and legs...think genetics or 'supps' helped them with this diet-training protocol?

What about Lee Priest, he also was a higher volume guy when it came to workouts...and I also know he liked his sweets and junk food-even pre-contest!

Miss the shapes of de Mey, Paris, Labrada, Haney, Christian, Ray, Levrone, Cottrell, Clairmonte Sarcev and Philly's own Alq Gurley....to me these were the "Golden Ages of Bodybuilding."  No offense to Yates, Cutler, Coleman, Heath, Wolfe and Greene.  All of these guys also earn a great deal of respect for the "freakishness" they brought to the stage!

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #296 on: January 31, 2014, 08:26:26 PM »
Tony great thread!

Regarding Sonny (RIP) I know you mentioned he ate a "high" carb diet and was always in great pre-contest shape-he and Milos were tight, do you think at that time they were using insulin?

They both trained with great volume and always said bodybuilders from the US were lazy and they both did not believe in over-training!  I read in some older 90's mags and spoke to Milos in person several times... they used to do up to 25-30 sets for smaller body parts like arms-chest-shoulders and even more for back and legs...think genetics or 'supps' helped them with this diet-training protocol?

What about Lee Priest, he also was a higher volume guy when it came to workouts...and I also know he liked his sweets and junk food-even pre-contest!

Miss the shapes of de Mey, Paris, Labrada, Haney, Christian, Ray, Levrone, Cottrell, Clairmonte Sarcev and Philly's own Alq Gurley....to me these were the "Golden Ages of Bodybuilding."  No offense to Yates, Cutler, Coleman, Heath, Wolfe and Greene.  All of these guys also earn a great deal of respect for the "freakishness" they brought to the stage!

I cant speak on behalf of Milos, however I think he has been pretty open about what he used on himself.
Sonny did not use insulin with Milos when they trained. To my knowledge he only used it for 2 days here, forgot to eat the second time and ended up in a coma. Fortunately he recovered fully and never used it again.
he just didn't need it.

In Sonny's first Olympia and had never seen HGH or anything exotic in his life. He used less than $1000 of "supps" that year and finished top 6. He just laughed about big dosages and budgets.

I have no idea what Lee did but I know he always trained very hard and did a lot of sets. I believe he will always train, he is a lifetime bodybuilder.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #297 on: February 01, 2014, 09:09:29 AM »
Kick ass thread.  Appreciation tits.
a

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #298 on: February 03, 2014, 02:17:53 PM »
Great thread Tony!!

This kind of stuff is great for re-enforcing the old drive to train hard.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #299 on: February 05, 2014, 02:03:22 PM »
HEY TONY.......DID YOU EVER HAVE ROBBY ROBINSON OR ANDREAS CAHLING POSE AT YOUR SHOW?