Author Topic: Looking Back - Blasts from the past  (Read 345261 times)

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
Re: Looking Back - Blasts from the past
« Reply #300 on: February 06, 2014, 05:13:53 AM »
How is that badass pickup doin, you still have it.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #301 on: February 06, 2014, 08:06:17 PM »
How is that badass pickup doin, you still have it.

Just gone in for repairs, I cooked the gear box.

Picking it up tomorrow.

1200nm of torque (whoops)

mik1111

• Getbig III
« Reply #302 on: February 08, 2014, 02:31:55 AM »
Genetic freak  =  Kevin, dude is from another planet. I still believe he could get in ridiculous shape and shake it all up.
expand a bit more on this Tony

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #303 on: February 10, 2014, 08:08:42 PM »
TD

i heard a story about Levrone
i think it was the 2003 Oz Pro show he was totally drunk getting off the plane?
could barely stand??!!

also 2009 or 2010 pro show , the one Dexter jackson won- anyway apparently the story goes he and Melvin anthony were kicking up a stink about the serviced apartment you had arranged, they were wanting a 5 star hotel. they were making a big fuss, DJ was saying how could a mr O be treated that way.

true or not?

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #304 on: February 12, 2014, 03:23:22 AM »
TD

i heard a story about Levrone
i think it was the 2003 Oz Pro show he was totally drunk getting off the plane?
could barely stand??!!

also 2009 or 2010 pro show , the one Dexter jackson won- anyway apparently the story goes he and Melvin anthony were kicking up a stink about the serviced apartment you had arranged, they were wanting a 5 star hotel. they were making a big fuss, DJ was saying how could a mr O be treated that way.

true or not?

Levrone story, pretty true but had been unwell and alcohol made it worse.  Had to put him on a drip between prejudging and finals to rehydrate him after he had been vomiting so much.

Melvin never kicked up a stink and Dexter likes 5 star everything. He wasn't fussed about serviced apartments like the others had. The others like it because they can cook clean food etc and it is a nice place, 4 star and very relaxed. Dexter can dry out on room service, so he preferred the Hilton. DJ had nothing to do with it.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #305 on: February 12, 2014, 12:41:38 PM »
Is this true about Dorian? I seem to recall hearing a relatively recent interview w/ him where he said that he went literally years w/out cheating on his diet. He didn't really say what the diet was though. How is it in this day and age he's never been pinned down about this?
dorian revealed in his book that he typically ate 3500-3800 cals pre contest and 4500 cals offseason. got this info from his british heavy duty book.

Meaningless

• Getbig III
« Reply #306 on: February 17, 2014, 02:35:44 PM »
Tony did you ever hear of any pros talk about fertility or having kids? Dont have to mention names if you dont want but curious to know if the hear use has affected them.

AVBG

« Reply #307 on: February 27, 2014, 03:21:06 AM »
Mr Australia, Inflation, Melbourne, 1980. Photo: Rennie Ellis

Schmoff

• Getbig V
« Reply #308 on: March 01, 2014, 12:46:52 PM »
Mr Australia, Inflation, Melbourne, 1980. Photo: Rennie Ellis

looks like nassar enjoying himself in the audience

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #309 on: March 17, 2014, 04:40:22 AM »
When Ron Love trained me, I spent another hour after pestering him with questions every single time  ;D

He ate very clean year round and there was very little variation in his diet. Eggwhites, chicken and brocolli 6 times a day for example all prepacked in tupperware. I thought you are supposed to eat like that so when dieting I would eat very monotonous as well. Every day.

The fluctuations in his shape came from experimenting with different compounds, diuretics, etc.

Training was light weights, strict form, 15 sec breaks and it was gruesome. I was beat. A workout never lasted past 30 min. That was it.

He aslo taught me about cycles with just deca and equipoise. For a certain look. The only other time I ever heard someone promoting this stack was disgusted in his last radio interview. No wonder I think he is very good at what he does. He understands how certain compounds give you a certain look.  

Very insightful, thanks for sharing
S

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #310 on: March 23, 2014, 11:54:14 AM »
You're welcome. I can also tell you about talking for 2 hours with Sonny Schmidt in 1995 while he was eating a steak on a slice of bread wrapped in toilet paper. That was so Romania post communism when the paper towels did not invade the market yet haha..

Met Charles Clairmonte at almost 280lbs and thought he was the biggest thing I have ever seen... pics don't do him justice.

In the same Powerhouse gym was training Stan Frydrych who won the +50 Master Mr Olympia... he taught me about the importance of red meat in the diet and gave me tips on what butcher to go to to get good deals. Also used deca a lot.. good guy Stan.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #311 on: March 23, 2014, 03:24:18 PM »
You're welcome. I can also tell you about talking for 2 hours with Sonny Schmidt in 1995 while he was eating a steak on a slice of bread wrapped in toilet paper. That was so Romania post communism when the paper towels did not invade the market yet haha..

Met Charles Clairmonte at almost 280lbs and thought he was the biggest thing I have ever seen... pics don't do him justice.

In the same Powerhouse gym was training Stan Frydrych who won the +50 Master Mr Olympia... he taught me about the importance of red meat in the diet and gave me tips on what butcher to go to to get good deals. Also used deca a lot.. good guy Stan.

Never heard of Stan Frydrych  till now. Impressive back then:

powerdome

• Getbig II
« Reply #312 on: March 23, 2014, 04:40:14 PM »
Hey Tony,

Just caught Fat Tony and Co, ....

How much trobule did Sonny get in for being involved with that business?

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #313 on: March 24, 2014, 02:13:18 AM »
Hey Tony,

Just caught Fat Tony and Co, ....

How much trobule did Sonny get in for being involved with that business?

He got 5 years. Got released when he was very ill and died within days. It was very sad. He kept complaining about this lump under his arm and shoulder to prison authorities. They just kept saying it was an old injury to get over it. By the time he was diagnosed properly, November 29th it was an advanced cancer that had got into his lungs. He died on Jan 25th, just 7 weeks later. I was visiting him in the prison hospital the day he got his diagnosis and he knew he was fucked. When they tipped him out with just days to live, they didn't even give him proper pain relief. We had to go to a mission to get morphine to comfort him as he died.

Saddest fucking time I can remember. He has been gone for 10 years.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #314 on: March 24, 2014, 04:38:54 AM »
Tony did you ever hear of any pros talk about fertility or having kids? Dont have to mention names if you dont want but curious to know if the hear use has affected them.

Never been much discussion but over and over top pros have had healthy kids, so I don't think it seems to be a factor. Ronnie has about 8 kids so that kind of sets the subject straight.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #315 on: March 24, 2014, 06:10:59 AM »
He got 5 years. Got released when he was very ill and died within days. It was very sad. He kept complaining about this lump under his arm and shoulder to prison authorities. They just kept saying it was an old injury to get over it. By the time he was diagnosed properly, November 29th it was an advanced cancer that had got into his lungs. He died on Jan 25th, just 7 weeks later. I was visiting him in the prison hospital the day he got his diagnosis and he knew he was fucked. When they tipped him out with just days to live, they didn't even give him proper pain relief. We had to go to a mission to get morphine to comfort him as he died.

tony very sad indeed  :-\,,u must have been great friend to him.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #316 on: March 24, 2014, 06:55:41 PM »

Never knew that... how sad.  Met Sonny a few times during his heyday... seemed like a very decent man.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #317 on: March 27, 2014, 10:50:35 AM »
cool pics,thanks for sharing them.i really like the old school pics
R

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #318 on: March 28, 2014, 10:15:19 AM »
Charles Clairmonte definitely owned one of the best physiques of all time!!!

some of the finest arms in the history of bodybuilding!!

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #319 on: March 28, 2014, 02:12:24 PM »

Didn't knew that story. May he rest in peace now.

Thanks for sharing.

powerdome

• Getbig II
« Reply #320 on: March 31, 2014, 04:51:59 PM »
Tony, how did they get away with that? The prison doctor must have had an obligation to at least follow up with routine tests...his family would just about have a case for a law suit I would imagine...

Long time ago now, but still shocking at best...

There were pics of him on our gym wall in NZ...right down in the deep south!.....he came for a visit a few years before I got into the gym..."Powerdome" good gym name:)

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #321 on: April 08, 2014, 05:30:49 AM »
This photograph is from March 1994, interviewing the great Flex Wheeler at the IFBB Southern States show. The reason this is significant to me is that it was this night that I announced that Doherty’s Gym was going to open in Brunswick 2 weeks later on April 8th. Which means that it is 20 years ago today that it all really started for me.

I knew that this was my last shot at it, as I had nothing and owed about $200,000 which was loaded against my parents home. They had backed me from day one and I had let them and everyone close to me down. I had pissed it away and partied like a rockstar, thinking I was shit hot. Thinking I was bulletproof, a success in my own mind. Truth is, I was delusional, dazed and way, way ahead of myself.

I opened the doors on April 8th without a single member, no staff, no money in my pocket, nothing in the bank. I had no idea how I would get through the first week, let alone the first year. I just waited for someone to come in and train and after a few hours, a young couple came in and joined up. That first day I had about 10 people come in but no one else joined. This went on for a while and I just kept at it. Kept showing up, day after day, week after week.

The first year I sold everything to keep the doors open, house, cars, furniture, you name it, I lost it. The phone or power got cut every month, at least. I had no where to live and no car, all I had was a vertical grill and a rice cooker. I slept on the couch at the gym for that first 12 months, I would get up in the morning and walk up to the main road to get a paper and a coffee. This way it looked like I had actually come from somewhere. Then I would walk to the gym to open up at 6AM. I would work through to 9 or 10PM, most days on my own until everyone had left, once again I would lock up and pretend to head home until everyone had gone, then sneak back and let myself back in.

I developed a saying that I still use to this day. “Don’t worry about what you can’t do, worry about what you can do.” So with that in mind, when I couldn’t afford to buy new equipment, I would buy a can of paint. When no one came in, I would move everything in the gym. I would dust, clean, re-arrange everything. After a while, people would come in and say, “Hey you are always doing something.”  That inspired me more, I thought if people come in and I’m sitting around or complaining, they will pick up on that crap energy. If they come in and I’m busy, they will know I care.

Slowly I started to straighten myself out, killed the ego, got back into heavy training, lost the ponytail and kicked myself until I got up and about. I realise now, how far I had fallen and how close I came to falling through the cracks. I knew that from then on, I would give life everything I had. By that I mean, I made a deal with myself that I would never have regret, or die wondering. No  more excuses, no blaming others, no turning back.

I’m writing this for anyone doubting themselves. Anyone thinking about giving up, or thinking they don’t deserve success. For the ones out there that have made stupid mistakes and bad choices. For everyone that has been told they are no good, everyone that has been written off and laughed at. You must never quit, never give in, never let the doubters wear you down. You gotta be tough, you have to stop worrying about what others think. You have to find it within yourself. You have to hold your head up high and stay humble, no matter what, you have to grind. You have to get up every day and attack it like it is your last day, your last chance. When you put you head down at night, you have to know you did everything today, that you could to move forward. Sometimes it will seem fruitless, useless and slow. That is when you dig in harder, you must trust the process, trust yourself and most of all believe in yourself, I mean deep down inside where no one else dwells, that’s where you have to believe in yourself.

Grind hard - Don’t quit!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #322 on: April 08, 2014, 09:10:27 AM »
NICE STORY..ALL THE BEST..YOU LIVED YOUR DREAM OR CLOSE TO IT ..

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #323 on: April 15, 2014, 07:25:16 AM »
GREAT POST TONY.......I LOVE YOUR PASSION!!

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #324 on: April 15, 2014, 08:15:15 AM »
NICE STORY..ALL THE BEST..YOU LIVED YOUR DREAM OR CLOSE TO IT ..
what he said. really like your stories