Author Topic: 2016 GOP Hopeful: "We need 100 more like Jesse Helms in the Senate"  (Read 1247 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
He's been completely untouchable up til now.   I think the other GOP candidates are going to be throwing this quote in his face when the GOP debates begin, however.

I bet he's issuing an apology/condemnation of all the racist shit that Helms stood for all the way to the end.... Friday afternoon news dump, I bet he does, so that this isn't all over the Sunday morning news shows.

Cruz, you are one of a small handful of people who CAN seriously beat hilary in 2016... you're perfect/flawless in your record.  Hilary has 30 years of bullshit dragging behind her.  Stop saying stupid things like this and just win the nomination.

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) reached back into conservative history during a speech on Wednesday, lauding late Republican icon Sen. Jesse Helms (R-NC) as an example for his present-day colleagues, Mediaite reported.

“The willingness to say all those crazy things is a rare, rare characteristic,” Cruz told the audience at a gathering held by the conservative Heritage Foundation. “And you know what? It’s every bit as true now as it was then. We need a hundred more like Jesse Helms in the U.S. Senate.”

Cruz said during his speech that Helms’ propensity for saying “crazy things” was the reason actor John Wayne reportedly donated $5,000 to Helms’ first campaign for Senate. Cruz also said someone like Helms was needed in this day and age, when pressure cookers can be turned into explosives.

“I know if Jesse Helms were still with us, he would not shy away from this stuff,” Cruz said at an event with the Heritage Foundation on Wednesday, before telling the audience that as a child, he donated $10 to Helms — his first political contribution, representing 20 weeks’ worth of his allowance — “’cause they were all beating up on him, they were coming after him hard, and I thought it wasn’t right.”

As Mother Jones reported, people “beat up” on Helms for his racist and homophobic beliefs, including statements that gay Americans were “weak, morally sick wretches;” his 1990 campaign commercial denouncing affirmative action as a “racial quota law;” and his 1983 filibuster against a bill to make Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday a federal holiday, among other incidents.

“It’s easy in this age to say that Helms, who carried his dislike of African-Americans like a badge of honor for 30 years around the U.S. Senate, was a son of the South who was simply honoring good, old-fashioned Southern values,” then-CNN contributor Roland S. Martin wrote following Helms’ death in 2008. “But when you stand in opposition to a bill that would, for the first time, give African-Americans from border to border the constitutionally guaranteed right to cast a vote, then I refuse to call you a stand-up person for the rights of every man, woman and child.”

source: Raw story (and a million other sources with the same story)

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
Re: 2016 GOP Hopeful: "We need 100 more like Jesse Helms in the Senate"
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 06:45:22 AM »
True, its all by design..this guy knows exactly what he's doing

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 06:55:12 AM »
He's been completely untouchable up til now.   I think the other GOP candidates are going to be throwing this quote in his face when the GOP debates begin, however.

I bet he's issuing an apology/condemnation of all the racist shit that Helms stood for all the way to the end.... Friday afternoon news dump, I bet he does, so that this isn't all over the Sunday morning news shows.

Cruz, you are one of a small handful of people who CAN seriously beat hilary in 2016... you're perfect/flawless in your record.  Hilary has 30 years of bullshit dragging behind her.  Stop saying stupid things like this and just win the nomination.

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) reached back into conservative history during a speech on Wednesday, lauding late Republican icon Sen. Jesse Helms (R-NC) as an example for his present-day colleagues, Mediaite reported.

“The willingness to say all those crazy things is a rare, rare characteristic,” Cruz told the audience at a gathering held by the conservative Heritage Foundation. “And you know what? It’s every bit as true now as it was then. We need a hundred more like Jesse Helms in the U.S. Senate.”

Cruz said during his speech that Helms’ propensity for saying “crazy things” was the reason actor John Wayne reportedly donated $5,000 to Helms’ first campaign for Senate. Cruz also said someone like Helms was needed in this day and age, when pressure cookers can be turned into explosives.

“I know if Jesse Helms were still with us, he would not shy away from this stuff,” Cruz said at an event with the Heritage Foundation on Wednesday, before telling the audience that as a child, he donated $10 to Helms — his first political contribution, representing 20 weeks’ worth of his allowance — “’cause they were all beating up on him, they were coming after him hard, and I thought it wasn’t right.”

As Mother Jones reported, people “beat up” on Helms for his racist and homophobic beliefs, including statements that gay Americans were “weak, morally sick wretches;” his 1990 campaign commercial denouncing affirmative action as a “racial quota law;” and his 1983 filibuster against a bill to make Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday a federal holiday, among other incidents.

“It’s easy in this age to say that Helms, who carried his dislike of African-Americans like a badge of honor for 30 years around the U.S. Senate, was a son of the South who was simply honoring good, old-fashioned Southern values,” then-CNN contributor Roland S. Martin wrote following Helms’ death in 2008. “But when you stand in opposition to a bill that would, for the first time, give African-Americans from border to border the constitutionally guaranteed right to cast a vote, then I refuse to call you a stand-up person for the rights of every man, woman and child.”

source: Raw story (and a million other sources with the same story)

Jesse Helms would have called Ted Cruz a wetback spic if he was here.  Prob would have made him mow his lawn and fix his roof too. 

Jesse Helms was a hardcore racist....period.  If you weren't white, you weren't right.
A

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 01:21:20 PM »
 :)

Purge_WTF

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 04:10:28 PM »
Saw the video clip last night and was taken aback.

I think he can kiss his Presidential aspirations goodbye.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 04:44:16 PM »

Jesse Helms would have called Ted Cruz a wetback spic if he was here.  Prob would have made him mow his lawn and fix his roof too.  

;D

Jesse Helms was a hardcore racist....period.  If you weren't white, you weren't right.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 08:28:16 AM »
True, its all by design..this guy knows exactly what he's doing

maybe... but this isn't just something dems will complain about.

I bet the first thing a Christie does in the debates is ask Cruz to apologize for his 100x endorsement, to the African-Americans hurt by the record of Jesse Helms, especially X, Y, Z...

If Cruz is on defense, he can't be on offense.  Ron Paul lost a lot of useful airtime to share his smaller govt beliefs - because he was too busy defending a newsletter his name was on, 25 years prior?    I see this being the same thing.   "Who would Jesse Helms vote for in 2016?"

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 03:08:54 PM »
Don't compare Ron Paul's presidential candidacy to Cruz's. This is a legit, corporate-backed candidacy.

And Christie won't be the GOP nominee. Giuliani already tried the Northeast liberal Republican angle and we know how well that went.

yeah, but being the NE Lib Rino worked great for Romney in 2012, and almost in 2008. 

The day repubs actually choose someone with conservative beliefs?  I dunno if we'll see that anytime soon.

Purge_WTF

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 04:57:53 AM »
Don't compare Ron Paul's presidential candidacy to Cruz's. This is a legit, corporate-backed candidacy.

And Christie won't be the GOP nominee. Giuliani already tried the Northeast liberal Republican angle and we know how well that went.

But with guys like Cruz saying stupid things like this, Christie might seem like a viable alternative.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 05:38:01 AM »
I don't see how this helps Cruz or the Republicans attract minority voters.  Hispanics might not care as much as other minority groups about the comment.
A

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 10:41:13 AM »
yeah, but being the NE Lib Rino worked great for Romney in 2012, and almost in 2008. 

The day repubs actually choose someone with conservative beliefs?  I dunno if we'll see that anytime soon.

yet none of the kooks could even get as far as the nomiation

Cruz will only appeal to the wing nuts which will work fine early in the primary when you're appealing to the "town hall" crowds but it won't appeal to the more moderate Repubs and certainly not independents

He can only be the teabag nut Senator from Texas and nothing else

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 04:05:59 PM »
But with guys like Cruz saying stupid things like this, Christie might seem like a viable alternative.

Meh.  Noboby cares about this.  It's about as important as Rubio drinking water during a speech.