Author Topic: Believers of climate change, when is the  (Read 5969 times)

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Believers of climate change, when is the
« on: September 14, 2013, 09:30:21 AM »
arctic ice supposed to melt away?

Some like the BBC in 2007 reported that the climate change consensus was that the Arctic would be ice free by the summer of 2013.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Re: Believers of climate change, when is the
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 10:06:37 AM »
arctic ice supposed to melt away?

Some like the BBC in 2007 reported that the climate change consensus was that the Arctic would be ice free by the summer of 2013.

so you don't think the earth is warming up?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 11:01:26 AM »
it's crazy how many people bought into global warming being manmade. unreal.  pelosi and newt on a couch, sheesh. 

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 11:05:27 AM »
I just assumed I would be standing in 2 feet of melted ice right now cause the MSM told me so.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 12:01:55 PM »
so you don't think the earth is warming up?
Did the Arctic ice melt like it was predicted by the scientists, whom by the way no one has the right to question?

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 02:22:08 PM »
Did the Arctic ice melt like it was predicted by the scientists, whom by the way no one has the right to question?
did it melt?
it's melting even as we debate it.
w

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 08:43:14 PM »

who says that no one has the right to question? peer review is just that, a group of people scrutinizing a paper to ensure it's sound.

Who made this prediction and can you provide some evidence to this claim?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 10:20:27 PM »
And now it's global COOLING! Record return of Arctic ice cap as it grows by 60% in a year

Almost a million more square miles of ocean covered with ice than in 2012
    BBC reported in 2007 global warming would leave Arctic ice-free in summer by 2013
    Publication of UN climate change report suggesting global warming caused by humans pushed back to later this month

By David Rose

PUBLISHED: 18:37 EST, 7 September 2013 | UPDATED: 07:01 EST, 8 September 2013

A chilly Arctic summer has left nearly a million more square miles of ocean covered with ice than at the same time last year – an increase of 60 per cent.

The rebound from 2012’s record low comes six years after the BBC reported that global warming would leave the Arctic ice-free in summer by 2013.

Instead, days before the annual autumn re-freeze is due to begin, an unbroken ice sheet more than half the size of Europe already stretches from the Canadian islands to Russia’s northern shores.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2415191/Global-cooling-Arctic-ice-caps-grows-60-global-warming-predictions.html#ixzz2eYAxnFQs
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 07:42:39 AM »
Global warming is quite real.

But i need my car so fuck it.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 10:32:50 AM »

No, the World Isn't Cooling

By Phil Plait

When I heard that the Mail on Sunday ran a climate change article over the weekend, I knew it would be bad. But when I clicked the link and saw it was written by David Rose, I braced myself for the worst.

Man, sometimes I hate being right.

Rose is a guy who denies climate change in the way creationists deny evolution, and flat-Earthers deny the Earth is, well, not flat. That is to say, with claims so ridiculously wrong it’s charitable to call them "ridiculously wrong."

The article in the Mail bears this out. In it, Rose makes a lot of jaw-dropping statements. To pick three, he says the world is cooling, Arctic sea ice increased 60 percent over last year at this time, and the International Panel on Climate Change is under so much attack they had to hold a "crisis" meeting.

These claims are at best misleading. The first and third are just wrong, and the second hugely cherry-picked. I’ll debunk these briefly here, but I’ll note you can get the grim details at the Guardian in a great article by Dana Nuccitelli and John Abraham and at Discover magazine. Hot Whopper has a dissection as well.

Rose’s first claim is that the world is cooling. This is simply wrong. There’s long been a claim that global warming has stopped, but this too is wrong. Surface temperatures haven’t increased as much as they did a decade or so ago, but we now understand that the extra heat from global warming is getting stored in the oceans. Surface temperatures are a piece of the puzzle, but like their name implies, they don’t probe the depths of the problem. Remember too that nine of the 10 hottest years since 1880 have been in the past decade.

The second claim that the Arctic sea ice is now 60 percent higher over August 2012 is technically true but extremely misleading. In the summer of 2012 Arctic sea ice hit a record low. Given just how extreme it was, it’s not too surprising that it would not be as extreme this year. As you can see by the graph here, the sea ice extent (which essentially represents how much area is covered by ice) was incredibly low last year and is still lower than average this year. Rose makes this seem like the ice is on a huge rebound, but it’s more like getting a D- after getting an F on a test. Sure, it’s better, but it ain’t necessarily good.

sea ice extent graph
Sea ice extent for summer and fall of 2012 (dashed green line) and 2013 (solid blue line). The dark line is the average for 1981 - 2010.

Graph by the National Snow and Ice Data Center

Also, note the headline of the article that says, “Record Return of Arctic Ice Cap as it Grows by 60% in a Year.” That is grossly misleading, making it seem as if the sea ice is coming back. It isn’t. The sea ice grows and recedes with the seasons every year and has been on the decline since spring … and the overall trend over time is definitely downward.

Incidentally, sea ice extent is interesting, but it's not the best way to look at this. More important is the sea ice volume, which tells you the thickness. Ice can cover a lot of area, but if it’s thin, that’s not good; it melts more readily in the summer. Right now, the trend for sea ice volume is down. Way down.

The third claim is that the IPCC had to hold a “crisis” meeting because—get this—Rose’s articles in the Mail have caused such a furor. Such a claim would be fascinating if it were true. But Ed Hawkins, a U.K. climate scientist, says he explained to Rose there was no such “crisis” meeting via email and on the telephone while being interviewed by Rose for the article! This didn’t stop Rose from making the claim anyway.

Rose makes lots of other claims, most of which rely on cherry-picking data or predictions by scientists to make it look like they don’t know what they’re talking about. Further investigation (see the links already mentioned above debunking Rose’s nonsense) show he’s wrong about those, too.

All of this is exactly what I was expecting when I read his article. Making a mistake or two is one thing—I’ve made some myself—but his history on this topic (like here and here and here to name a few) makes me think his claims really are in the same league as those of flat-Earthers.

And while newspapers like the Telegraph are busily parroting Rose’s ridiculous claims, it’s nice to see others like the Washington Post getting it right. Climate change is serious business, and the last thing we need is more hot air about it

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 07:20:43 PM »
oh no facts, run away nut jobs. Scurry.

Post some more doctored shit.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 07:36:13 PM »
oh no facts, run away nut jobs. Scurry.

Post some more doctored shit.

Fox News is "the Onion" of the right.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 01:56:48 PM »
Fox News is "the Onion" of the right.
thank you for my laugh of the day! ;D
w

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 02:30:16 PM »
Seeing how the Earth is (hahaha) only 6000 years old, you can't expect that ice to melt over night.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 09:42:52 PM »
it isn't a lib thing - there are complete fools on both side of the issue.   

anyone who says "libs and their global warming!"  need to include Palin, Romney, Newt, and everyone else that bought into al gore's bullshite.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 11:50:25 PM »
I would like to relocate a couple of struggling Polar bears from Artic to Antarctica
too many penguins there, would be like Christmas tree for them  ;D

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 05:12:28 AM »
http://www.see.ed.ac.uk/~shs/Climate%20change/Climate%20model%20results/over%20estimate.pdf

So many predictions by the "climate change" community. So many have not even come to fruition.

Something is wrong when a group of people claim to have scientific proof that there is a change in the planet, make predictions on said evidence, but those predictions are shown to be completely off as time goes by.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 05:26:25 AM »
who says that no one has the right to question? peer review is just that, a group of people scrutinizing a paper to ensure it's sound.

Who made this prediction and can you provide some evidence to this claim?
Just look at the responses on this thread. If I or anyone questions the "science" we get comments like the one already posted. Anyone should be able to question this "theory". ANYONE! Whether the person is a scientist or a mechanic.

Who made this prediction?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7139797.stm

Arctic summers ice-free 'by 2013'  
By Jonathan Amos
Science reporter, BBC News, San Francisco  

Arctic summer melting in 2007 set new records

More details

Scientists in the US have presented one of the most dramatic forecasts yet for the disappearance of Arctic sea ice.

Their latest modelling studies indicate northern polar waters could be ice-free in summers within just 5-6 years.

Professor Wieslaw Maslowski told an American Geophysical Union meeting that previous projections had underestimated the processes now driving ice loss.

Summer melting this year reduced the ice cover to 4.13 million sq km, the smallest ever extent in modern times.
Remarkably, this stunning low point was not even incorporated into the model runs of Professor Maslowski and his team, which used data sets from 1979 to 2004 to constrain their future projections.

"Our projection of 2013 for the removal of ice in summer is not accounting for the last two minima, in 2005 and 2007," the researcher from the Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California, explained to the BBC.
"So given that fact, you can argue that may be our projection of 2013 is already too conservative."

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 10:49:01 AM »
it isn't a lib thing - there are complete fools on both side of the issue.   

anyone who says "libs and their global warming!"  need to include Palin, Romney, Newt, and everyone else that bought into al gore's bullshite.

Al Gore, saw an issue that could scare millions and make him money.

Global warming is real and avoiding doing something about it will cause massive tragedies.

It that methane from the permafrost is released, millions would die.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 10:53:30 AM »
Just look at the responses on this thread. If I or anyone questions the "science" we get comments like the one already posted. Anyone should be able to question this "theory". ANYONE! Whether the person is a scientist or a mechanic.

Who made this prediction?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7139797.stm

Arctic summers ice-free 'by 2013'  
By Jonathan Amos
Science reporter, BBC News, San Francisco  

Arctic summer melting in 2007 set new records

More details

Scientists in the US have presented one of the most dramatic forecasts yet for the disappearance of Arctic sea ice.

Their latest modelling studies indicate northern polar waters could be ice-free in summers within just 5-6 years.

Professor Wieslaw Maslowski told an American Geophysical Union meeting that previous projections had underestimated the processes now driving ice loss.

Summer melting this year reduced the ice cover to 4.13 million sq km, the smallest ever extent in modern times.
Remarkably, this stunning low point was not even incorporated into the model runs of Professor Maslowski and his team, which used data sets from 1979 to 2004 to constrain their future projections.

"Our projection of 2013 for the removal of ice in summer is not accounting for the last two minima, in 2005 and 2007," the researcher from the Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California, explained to the BBC.
"So given that fact, you can argue that may be our projection of 2013 is already too conservative."

Man read a fucking book or something jesus. Who predicted what? when? why? US scientists? you realize that every single world climate center disagrees with you, so this US scientist who is the be all end all of climatology has trumped them?

You realize what a prediction is right?

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/mar/27/climate-change-model-global-warming

predictions are often wrong in science that's science, looking for the truth, even if they look stupid in the process.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 03:05:37 PM »
predictions are often wrong in science that's science, looking for the truth, even if they look stupid in the process.

Yep, we're all in agreement now.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 04:15:26 PM »
Man read a fucking book or something jesus. Who predicted what? when? why? US scientists? you realize that every single world climate center disagrees with you, so this US scientist who is the be all end all of climatology has trumped them?

You realize what a prediction is right?

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/mar/27/climate-change-model-global-warming

when youre predictions are wrong in science, you revise your hypothesis.

notice how some are calling it climate change now instead of global warming?

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 04:51:03 PM »
when youre predictions are wrong in science, you revise your hypothesis.

notice how some are calling it climate change now instead of global warming?

::) Climate change and global warming are two different things.

And if one scientist makes a prediction that is actually counter to what the larger scientific community believes, what hypotheses should they be revising?

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 08:06:48 PM »
::) Climate change and global warming are two different things.

And if one scientist makes a prediction that is actually counter to what the larger scientific community believes, what hypotheses should they be revising?

Yes they don't get this point. It's these idiots who are wrong, who made the prediction, when? based on what?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2013, 08:27:52 PM »
I don't think anyone deny's that the climate is changing.
I know plenty of people that question just how much of we have on the environment.

My personal opinion... is that I don't fucking care, that we don't have enough of an impact to do anywhere near the damage that they try to scare us with.

Climate change is real.

Humans impact on it is debatable.

Bottom line - it has been far hotter and far cooler throughout earths history... and it's still here. IMHO, humans really overestimate their importance in the grand scheme of the earth.