Author Topic: Texas School using AP Text Book That Changes 2nd Amendment  (Read 2741 times)

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
Re: Texas School using AP Text Book That Changes 2nd Amendment
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2013, 05:49:42 AM »
I know my problem with this is that I see it as a way for them to re-write history in the minds of a generation of children. Think about it... if kids grow up not knowing they have been guaranteed the right as citizens to bear arms, they aren't going to fight for it when it's taken from them.

Clearly they can't actually get it through normal legislation... so they'll just erase it from the history books... after all, if it's forgotten about by only a couple generations... it's like it never existed at all.

I agree with that.

Anyone that intentionally fabricates facts in childrens books - well - isn't the name for that "Communist"???

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2013, 12:30:09 PM »
Im going to be blunt and just admit that I haven't dont the research. I was simply going on others input and the reviews that people had done upon a cursory searth that the author is known to push his radical agenda.. and the fact that in a summary of the 2nd amendment he literally leaves out the ENTIRE POINT, the right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED. Why would he do such a thing? Why would he intentionally mislead children that don't know any better into thinking that the 2nd amendment is somehow about STATE MILITIAS bearing arms?

I understand that I'm pushing the envelope a bit, but lets be real here - its not uncommon for people to try and rewrite history and teach it to unknowing students to try and push their agenda.... why would this be any different?

As far as the rest of your post, you seem to have missed where I said that it would be less of a big deal to me if they were learning this later in life... but you seem to forget that its these years where many opinions are formed and solidified..... Intionally revising the document in this way, to me, screams of someone who doesn't want children to learn that they are entitled by the US constitution to bear arms.

As a veteran, making it seem like only state recognized militias have the right to bear arms is fucking insulting to me.

You can disagree, and thats fine.... thats why I volunteered to fight for this country, so that everyones opinion carries weight... but, IMHO, you are a complete fuckhead.

Good points.  Pretty bad distortion.  You should check out the book Lies My Teacher Told Me.  Pretty disturbing how we distort history sometimes. 

Also, looks like the book is being revised. 

Second Amendment definition in Texas school work book triggers uproar
By Edmund DeMarche
Published September 18, 2013
FoxNews.com

Parents at a high school near Dallas say the authors of a book on U.S. history misfired when they defined the Second Amendment -- and now one of the book's co-authors says the book is being revised.
The work book used at Guyer High School in the city of Denton, "The United States History: Preparing for the Advanced Placement Examination,"  includes the "summary" definition of the Second Amendment to include the right to "keep and bear arms in a state militia."

The edited definition is seen by gun-rights advocates as an affront to the Second Amendment, which states in full: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Parents at the school criticized the book for distorting the definition of the Second Amendment in favor of those opposed to gun rights.

John J. Newman, the book's co-author, told FoxNews.com that the text of the book was written before the 2008 Supreme Court ruling, District of Columbia v. Heller ,  which protects individuals' rights to possess firearms. He said the book's only intent was to summarize the Second Amendment and admitted that the current definition is incorrect. But he said a revised and corrected edition is set to be sold in May 2014.
"There was no devious intention in the definition," Newman said.

The book is a supplement to the actual text book, "American Pageant." The school says the text book gives the exact Bill of Rights.

"The teachers and the staff are aware of this "summary statement" and are teaching the amendments from the classroom textbook," a statement from the Denton School District said. "Please be assured that Denton ISD history teachers are disseminating the correct information on the Second Amendment."

Sean Getts, who has a daughter who is a junior at Guyer High School, told FoxNews.com she noticed the wording of the amendment and alerted him.

"I don't know if it was intentional or not, but clearly these authors interpreted the amendment in favor of gun control," he said. "I'm mainly concerned how this ends up in our school system."
Getts had posted the book's definition on Facebook and it went viral.

"I don't think the definition was put in the book in good faith," said Stephen Halbrook, a Second Amendment expert and author of "The Founders' Second Amendment."

"It's actually a total perversion of what the Second Amendment stands for."

He told FoxNews.com that the equivalent of this book's definition would be defining the First Amendment as: you have the right to free speech, as long as you speak in a state-sanctioned group.

Halbrook, who argued Second Amendment cases in front of the Supreme Court, said the book's authors could have edited the definition to: "A militia is necessary for a free state, and people have right to keep and bear arms."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/18/texas-high-school-work-book-stirs-controversy-over-edited-definition-second/#ixzz2fH3uDlTQ

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2013, 12:34:56 PM »
Good points.  Pretty bad distortion.  You should check out the book Lies My Teacher Told Me.  Pretty disturbing how we distort history sometimes. 

Also, looks like the book is being revised. 

Second Amendment definition in Texas school work book triggers uproar
By Edmund DeMarche
Published September 18, 2013
FoxNews.com

Parents at a high school near Dallas say the authors of a book on U.S. history misfired when they defined the Second Amendment -- and now one of the book's co-authors says the book is being revised.
The work book used at Guyer High School in the city of Denton, "The United States History: Preparing for the Advanced Placement Examination,"  includes the "summary" definition of the Second Amendment to include the right to "keep and bear arms in a state militia."

The edited definition is seen by gun-rights advocates as an affront to the Second Amendment, which states in full: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Parents at the school criticized the book for distorting the definition of the Second Amendment in favor of those opposed to gun rights.

John J. Newman, the book's co-author, told FoxNews.com that the text of the book was written before the 2008 Supreme Court ruling, District of Columbia v. Heller ,  which protects individuals' rights to possess firearms. He said the book's only intent was to summarize the Second Amendment and admitted that the current definition is incorrect. But he said a revised and corrected edition is set to be sold in May 2014.

The book is a supplement to the actual text book, "American Pageant." The school says the text book gives the exact Bill of Rights.

"The teachers and the staff are aware of this "summary statement" and are teaching the amendments from the classroom textbook," a statement from the Denton School District said. "Please be assured that Denton ISD history teachers are disseminating the correct information on the Second Amendment."

Sean Getts, who has a daughter who is a junior at Guyer High School, told FoxNews.com she noticed the wording of the amendment and alerted him.

"I don't know if it was intentional or not, but clearly these authors interpreted the amendment in favor of gun control," he said. "I'm mainly concerned how this ends up in our school system."
Getts had posted the book's definition on Facebook and it went viral.

"I don't think the definition was put in the book in good faith," said Stephen Halbrook, a Second Amendment expert and author of "The Founders' Second Amendment."

"It's actually a total perversion of what the Second Amendment stands for."

He told FoxNews.com that the equivalent of this book's definition would be defining the First Amendment as: you have the right to free speech, as long as you speak in a state-sanctioned group.

Halbrook, who argued Second Amendment cases in front of the Supreme Court, said the book's authors could have edited the definition to: "A militia is necessary for a free state, and people have right to keep and bear arms."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/18/texas-high-school-work-book-stirs-controversy-over-edited-definition-second/#ixzz2fH3uDlTQ

Cool, thanks for posting this!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2013, 12:37:39 PM »
Cool, thanks for posting this!

No problem.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2013, 01:22:46 PM »

Sounds to me like there was devious intent, this is a sloppy CYA excuse and if you read his quote in a mirror, it says he's going to wipe his ass with the constitution at the next New World Disorder meeting at George Soros' house.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2013, 01:35:28 PM »
Sounds to me like there was devious intent, this is a sloppy CYA excuse and if you read his quote in a mirror, it says he's going to wipe his ass with the constitution at the next New World Disorder meeting at George Soros' house.

I think it's a little simpler than that.  Someone with an agenda distorted the meaning of the Second Amendment, got called on it, and now it's being corrected. 

To say the Second Amendment is the right to "keep and bear arms in a state militia" is absurd. 

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2013, 01:39:09 PM »
I think it's a little simpler than that.  Someone with an agenda distorted the meaning of the Second Amendment, got called on it, and now it's being corrected. 

To say the Second Amendment is the right to "keep and bear arms in a state militia" is absurd. 

I was being sarcastic. I hope you are being, too, but I'm not too optimistic. What do you think the "agenda" was?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2013, 01:43:30 PM »
I was being sarcastic. I hope you are being, too, but I'm not too optimistic. What do you think the "agenda" was?

Yes, I know you were using hyperbole. 

Probably someone who is anti-NRA, anti-gun rights, etc. trying to water down the meaning of the Second Amendment. 

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2013, 01:49:36 PM »
Yes, I know you were using hyperbole. 

Probably someone who is anti-NRA, anti-gun rights, etc. trying to water down the meaning of the Second Amendment. 

Unlikely. Just a mistake. Text books are actually filled with them.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2013, 01:53:48 PM »
Unlikely. Just a mistake. Text books are actually filled with them.

Could have been a mistake, but I doubt it.  Yes, textbooks have many mistakes.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2013, 01:55:09 PM »
Could have been a mistake, but I doubt it.  Yes, textbooks have many mistakes.

I'm not surprised. I know how  you love to add your own little twist to events.  ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2013, 02:01:54 PM »
I'm not surprised. I know how  you love to add your own little twist to events.  ;)

Yes, I add my opinion all the time.   :)  Just like it's your opinion that it was an innocent mistake.  Neither one of us knows whether it was intentional or not. 

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2013, 07:03:23 PM »
Yes, I add my opinion all the time.   :)  Just like it's your opinion that it was an innocent mistake.  Neither one of us knows whether it was intentional or not. 

Having an opinion is one thing, but orchestrating entire fantasy sequences to prop up a political ideaology is another. But to each their own! :D