Author Topic: If you could go back to college and pick another major, what would it be and why  (Read 3803 times)

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
I've been having second thoughts now about my career path off and on for a few years now. it's not as fulfilling as I would like it to be. First job as a college sophomore was as a p/t teller, I've since worked my way up and have been in the finance industry for more than 10 years. Got my own office etc. but want more. My mistake was staying in the industry for so long, my résumé is impressive but very pigeon holed. what would you change your undergrad to?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Mechanical Engineer. I started going back to college.. and it's just too much right now, new baby, new job, new apartemt... I gotta put it on the back burner. It sucks.

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
Same as shockwave: Mechanical Engineering. I have a B.A in Criminal Justice which is a near worthless discipline. I'd love to learn how to modify performance cars and open or franchise a chain of shops. The best I can do is install an alternator...I did a cam swap before and sliced my palm open doing it.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
without a doubt B.A. in Finance and go on to M.B.A.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Choose the job you want to have.  Then pick a degree that'll make you the best at it? 

I changed majors a few times, I'd give terrible advice here :)

pre-med to pre-law to history (AA) to education (BS) to computer networking (AS) to business/tech (MBA).

Unless it's a career that depends upon a degree as a requirement (law, medicine, teaching, etc)... Focus more upon acquiring SKILLS versus degrees.   Also, we're in a recession - a good time to get school done.  Work when economy is good, and learn new things when economy lags.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
The beauty of being retired is that if I want to go back to taking college courses, they don't have to translate to a job and income potential. I can choose to study something simply because it interests me. Someday a lot of you will be in this great place too.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV

thanks for all the replies.

ESFitness,Finance MBA'ersare applying left and right where I'm at there's no way to differentiate one from another. When the market crashes again (soon) many of these guys will be laid off. Personally i think an accounting degree is more practical than finance? most jobs is see require a BA in accounting. My undergrad is in International Relations, also damn near worthless especially after being in finance for so long.

Now days its either medical, agriculture, engineering or go into the military as an officer, put in your required 20 be out by 42 and get a fed or contract job.

I was thinking of going back to be an Registered Nurse or even an LPN but my BA is missing so much of the prerequisites, plus I still have to work to pay bills etc.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
I would pick the same major (English/Creative Writing), but I would have done it right out of high school. I wasted too many years fucking around; should have written the great American novel by now. Now I'm settled and uninspired. Aging sucks.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
I would pick the same major (English/Creative Writing), but I would have done it right out of high school. I wasted too many years fucking around; should have written the great American novel by now. Now I'm settled and uninspired. Aging sucks.

I get it! My family has been after me for decades to write a family bio-type novel. I put it off for so long with so many excuses and now I don't have the ambition for it.

basil

• Getbig IV

I didn't know you could get a finance major in an arts program.  In Canada, a finance major is available in business/commerce undergrads.  Saying that, if you took enough electives/credits, I'm sure you could get enough finance credits to get a major in a non-business degree program.  It's like taking the extra long route though. 

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
Marketing and PR! So many fine assed young hoes major in those two :D

ukjeff

You dont need any qualifications.
You just need to be able to 'read' people and work out their 'wants and needs'.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
I didn't know you could get a finance major in an arts program.   In Canada, a finance major is available in business/commerce undergrads.  Saying that, if you took enough electives/credits, I'm sure you could get enough finance credits to get a major in a non-business degree program.  It's like taking the extra long route though. 

lol... sorry. head full'a painmeds today.. just got an abcess lanced and drained.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
I wouldn't go to college if I had it to do all over again. Would have gotten an apprenticeship as an electrician.

But if I had to go back to college: http://explosives.mst.edu/

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Kids are being sold a lie. You will be no better off at being employed with most college degrees than without one. If you go to college make sure that degree says you are something like an accountant, pharmacist, nurse or an engineer. On a side note that lawyer route is filled with lawyers who are working their ass off making less than a 100K.

It seems to me the most well off guys I know are in the trades owning a store or business. I know a granite top guy that lives in an insane house with brand new cars. Another has his electrical license and lives like a king. One handy man with really impressive carpentry skills has to turn away work because he is buried. I know a pizza small shop owner who told me he makes 200K plus for himself alone. My barber who is 30 said he never went to college but almost everyone who graduated high school with him that went to college is unemployed or has a crap job. The barber isn't rich but he owns his business, house and a decent car.

If I had to do it all again I would have listened to my parents and paid more attentions to my studies especially math and would have tried to become a petroleum engineer. One told me that many right out of college are making $170K.

I've done alright for myself in my field. I'm retired in my 50's but I'm certainly not well off.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
I would never go to college. Find something you love, get good at it then teach others

BigCyp

• Getbig V
I would never go to college. Find something you love, get good at it then teach others

Good advice, dj181 never went to college and he is an extremley successful penis saxophonist

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
  x2

college is just paying an adult to spoon feed you words of wisdom
A

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
Good advice, dj181 never went to college and he is an extremley successful penis saxophonist

do you have a pic of him in concert?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
I would pick something fun and interesting, but take it seriously.

Then go to an MBA to concentrate on a career.

I found that undergrad work didn't really translate to preparing me for my job - all the useful stuff came from gaining experience.
Y

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
My degree is a B.S. in psychology.  It got me my first job, which in turn got me into business for myself.  My degree had nothing to do with what I ended up doing, but it was important to have the degree to get my first job.  Add in all of the networking skills learned in college, and I think it is a good thing.  Just don't have a delusion of what it will get you when you graduate.  All of these whiny ass people who got degrees in religion etc. and can't find a job, fuck you, start looking for anything.  Get off your ass.  People are lazy, and don't have the intestinal fortitude to do what is needed to make it.  No job opportunities? Move somewhere where there are.  Life is not for pussies, so either get to work, or cry about being broke.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Choose the job you want to have.  Then pick a degree that'll make you the best at it? 

I changed majors a few times, I'd give terrible advice here :)

pre-med to pre-law to history (AA) to education (BS) to computer networking (AS) to business/tech (MBA).

Unless it's a career that depends upon a degree as a requirement (law, medicine, teaching, etc)... Focus more upon acquiring SKILLS versus degrees.   Also, we're in a recession - a good time to get school done.  Work when economy is good, and learn new things when economy lags.
Agree with that! You have to be passionate about something to excel at it!

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
I think chemistry.  Then I can create my own HGH and steroids from scratch.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
I would major in bodybuilding.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I think another bill of goods being sold is that your job has to be your hobby. If it is as the saying goes you got the world by the balls. Having said that, it's called work. If work isn't entertaining you or it's not your passion but paying the bills that's success. Have your fun when you are off work. I thought what my career was for 28 years would be something that I loved but in the end it just provided me with a big house with a 1500 square foot home gym and an in ground swimming pool. No, I didn't love my job. It wasn't my passion or hobby. It just provided for my family.