Author Topic: The greatest lifts in history  (Read 37670 times)

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
The greatest lifts in history
« on: December 25, 2005, 11:41:53 PM »
In my opinion, these are the greatest powerlifts of all time:

Squat - Fred Hatfield's 1014 @ 255 lb. Very deep and almost totally unequipped.

Bench Press - Mike MacDonald's 522 @ 181 lb. Totally unequipped.

Deadlift - Vince Anello's 800 @ 198.

TOTAL - Jon Cole's 2370 @ 283 lb. He almost benched 600 at the same meet. Totally RAW.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: The greatest lifts in history
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 02:08:17 PM »
My pics are:

Squat: Shane Hamman (SHW), 1009 lbs

Benchpress: James Henderson (SHW) 711 lbs. Totally unequipped, and done in the IPF, with mandatory testing since it was a world record. May be the most impressive lift of any category, any weightclass. To me, this is the greatest lifter ever.

Deadlift: Ismo Lappi (165 lbs) 749 lbs. A true master of the deadlift.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 08:02:11 PM »
what about Coan's 901 pull at 220?
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 11:24:18 PM »
what about Coan's 901 pull at 220?

I don't include Coan, since he was caught three times cheating in the IPF. But he has achieved extremely impressive lifts no doubt. I think he pulled 901 for a double with straps in the gym four years ago?

A very good lifter. Too bad he decided on competing in a drug tested federation.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 07:52:30 AM »
i don't give a shit what you're taking pulling 901 at 220 is fucking unreal, i've never seen a bottle of testosterone lift anything by itself.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 01:12:45 PM »
I'll give a vote to Lee Moran's 1003 lbs squat, simply for the fact that he did it about 5 minutes after the bar flew off his back because the collar was not tight on one side. 50kg plates were flying! Bars were flying! People were running away! Lee didn't care... he just had the bar reloaded and then did it.
a

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 04:16:15 PM »
i used to have a pic of that, he bit his tongue and was bleeding during the squat.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 06:33:37 AM »
Ed Coan cheated?Hey,back then the IPF wasnt very serious about drug use.Im friends with one of the greatest American IPF lifters ever and he told me that EVERYONE over 198 was using drugs and he personally passed over 25 drug tests despite being a huge user.Eds 901 at 220 is BY FAR the greatest feat of strength the sport has ever seen.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 11:17:28 PM »
could paul anderson actually squat 1200 lbs? if so then thats the best.

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 11:43:41 AM »
i saw a clip of a 130lb woman benching 390lbs and that freaked me right out! I hear Karen Sizemore (name?) is a freak! Supposed to be stronger than most men
Scouser on Tour

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 10:56:57 AM »
i saw a clip of a 130lb woman benching 390lbs and that freaked me right out! I hear Karen Sizemore (name?) is a freak! Supposed to be stronger than most men

Karen with Joe Ladnier:

Brooklyn lifter

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 05:00:21 PM »
Just wondering. I always thought double bw bench is a great feat.  Are there any records where a guy reps with twice his bw???

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 11:00:00 AM »
lots of guys can bench over twice their bodyweight, as for number of reps in comparison to their weight - i have no idea if a record of that even exists
Scouser on Tour

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 09:36:04 PM »
How many lifters out there can bench triple their bodyweight?  I imagine there are less than a dozen, all in the lower weight classes.

hardest core

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 12:02:20 AM »
Almost every world bench record now is atleast triple bodyweight. A dwarf quadrupled his body weight in the bench.....665@165. The new bench shirts are out of control. I'm a lifter in the USAPL, and I have totalled International Elite.........we are allowed single ply shirts. The WPO allows "flack jackets"...a freakin' joke. YES....blah,blah,blah.......the guys benching 800 plus are still strong as hell..........but, they are ridiculously aided. EMBARASSING. Gene Rylacks attemp at 1015 at the Olympia almost killed him. He lost the weight on the way down and it nearly crushed himself to death. I always hear..."you need to learn how to use the shirts" BS. Lift the freakin' weight YOURSELF!!!!!!! I won't even mention the 3/4 squats they are now passing.....monolift (no walk out)...and the CANVUS suits, and briefs allowed. Yes...I know, I need to LEARN how to use the suit (cheat)....lol. I officially vsquatted 804.5 in my 5th competition at 242...lifetime drug free in an old Marathon suit, no briefs...and I had to actually walk out. My point....how do I truly know if I have improved if I continually wear thicker, stronger gear? You don't.
I agree with the first post. Hatfield's 1014 has to be top 3 ever. Also, he was 45 years old when he did it.......effortlessly. 

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 03:25:58 AM »
your rant and rant about gear as cheating and not actually the person doing the weight, then you end in praise of a 45 year old man squatting over 1000lbs. Your a hypocrite, you obviously have no problem with steroids.
sept 10th APF

hardest core

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2006, 07:10:18 AM »
NASHT5.....I should clarify it for you. Single ply gear is the suits and shirts we wear to compete in...LIFTING GEAR. Hatfield squated his 1014 in this type of SUIT or "gear". You meant GEAR as in steroids. Please get it straight before you throw insults.

And no, I don't have a problem with steroids. I don't use them, never have and have passed several extensive tests. I chose to not use many year ago. I have competed in the USAPL/ADFPA (American Drug Free Powerlifting Association) since 1989 and have totalled International Elite @ 242 and 275 (highest drug free ranking) To each is own. I only have a problem with users who say they are not. Those are hypocrits.

nasht5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 10:54:42 AM »
NASHT5.....I should clarify it for you. Single ply gear is the suits and shirts we wear to compete in...LIFTING GEAR. Hatfield squated his 1014 in this type of SUIT or "gear". You meant GEAR as in steroids. Please get it straight before you throw insults.

And no, I don't have a problem with steroids. I don't use them, never have and have passed several extensive tests. I chose to not use many year ago. I have competed in the USAPL/ADFPA (American Drug Free Powerlifting Association) since 1989 and have totalled International Elite @ 242 and 275 (highest drug free ranking) To each is own. I only have a problem with users who say they are not. Those are hypocrits.

No, I meant "gear" as in lifting gear. I was not typing in code. I know the difference. Please get it straight before you type a response.
sept 10th APF

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2006, 02:27:01 PM »
i don't give a shit what you're taking pulling 901 at 220 is fucking unreal, i've never seen a bottle of testosterone lift anything by itself.
If only more people thought this way. 

hardest core

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2006, 03:42:41 PM »
Nasht5.................

I ranted because new 2 and 3 ply gear used in several federations has allowed many "average" lifters to post numbers better than many previous world records. Many of these lifters actually admit to the fact that they get an additional 200-250 lbs out of their shirts and up to 3-400 lbs on their squat. Not all lifters, but some of them. While I do not agree with steroid use, steroids do not lift the weight for you. The new gear lifts ADDITONAL weight for you. Anyone who discounts that is an idiot. Great lifters numbers are enhanced by the new gear. Average guys are posting great numbers ONLY because of the gear. Now.............just go away.

nasht5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2006, 05:57:27 PM »
Nasht5.................

I ranted because new 2 and 3 ply gear used in several federations has allowed many "average" lifters to post numbers better than many previous world records. Many of these lifters actually admit to the fact that they get an additional 200-250 lbs out of their shirts and up to 3-400 lbs on their squat. Not all lifters, but some of them. While I do not agree with steroid use, steroids do not lift the weight for you. The new gear lifts ADDITONAL weight for you. Anyone who discounts that is an idiot. Great lifters numbers are enhanced by the new gear. Average guys are posting great numbers ONLY because of the gear. Now.............just go away.

I agree the "lifting gear" of today has allowed MANY average lifters to pass WR of yesterdays greats. It is a shame. I wish Feds would look back over the years and go through the books and seperate records from the different era's to allow for the advancement of technology. The lifting gear material is advancing almost as fast as computer technology. Every two years we see advances in not only material but how the gear is stitched together and cut. Don't jump ahead to 2 & 3 ply gear, just look at single ply. Comparing todays single ply to your old Marathon suit is like comparing your old Marathon to the T-shirts of  the 1960's, and the records that fell with that advancement.
 I believe you and I may see eye to eye on more than you think. It is unfortunate that you have such thin skin you can not engage in a conversation. I don't plan on going away but don't worry, powerlifting already has too many feuds going...I'm not looking to start a new feud thread. Peace be with you.

Troy Nash, 2005 APA-WPA DRUG TESTED WORLD CHAMPION.
sept 10th APF

hardest core

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2006, 03:58:48 PM »
GREAT, GREAT post Troy. I apologize for being blunt.....and rude.

We do see eye to eye. I could not have said it better than how you stated it. You said it EXACTLY how I feel about it. I started competing in 1989 while in college. I was playing football at a division 3 school in Washington St. The only reason I entered a meet was because many of my fellow team mates "assumed" I was using performance enhancing drugs. I held virtually every team lifting record and I was a fullback......not an offensive/defensive lineman. I entered and won the ADFPA Washington St @ 242 weighing 229. I wore an old Marathon in which I pulled the straps on myself....lol. I also shared my knee wraps with my 2 lifting partners.....lol, 3 guys, 1 set of knee wraps. Anyway, my point being....I have never entered a non-tested meet, have never failed a drug test (tested 15+ times) and have never taken any sort of performance enhancing drugs. I have been fortunate to have won the ADFPA/USAPL Washington St - 4 times in 3 decades.....89,91,94,2000, totalled International elite @ 242 (1900+)........while wearing the SAME marathon suit. USAPL finally banned the Marathon's (??????), so I wore an Inzer Hardcore in my final competition, the 2002 USAPL Oregon St. I won the 242's and best over all lifter with my openers. I wanted to qualify and attempt National's one more time, but was involved in a car accident in which I tore my right rotator cuff and labrum, thus ending my lifting "career". So, as you can see........I really am not a hypocrite. I am a fan of all powerlifting, other than some of the BS that is allowed in some federations. Again..........great post....and peace to you too.

Jay Em

• Getbig II
  • The iron bug may rust... but will never die!
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2006, 06:05:15 PM »
Certainly one of the greatest lifts of all time would have to
go to Mel Hennessey, of Minneapolis (Saint Paul), MN.

Back in late 60s or so, Mel did 560 pound bench in the 220
pound class. This of course was raw, raw, raw. And to see
this guy lift was to witness absolute perfection: no noise,
no wraps, no bounce, no backbend; just pure, perfectly
executed strength, with proper pauses and the whole nine
yards. He weighed apx. 215 pounds of solid muscle.

When a teen, I witnessed Mel in competition easily handle
500, 525, 540. It was funny, though. When he failed at an
attempt, it just simply--and quietly--didn't go anywhere.
He went from perfect execution to perfect failure.

hardest core

• Getbig II
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2006, 10:27:55 PM »
That really is amazing, especially being in the 60's.

monster triceps

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • RIP slobby :(
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2006, 05:32:13 AM »
young niggah greedy