Author Topic: RIP Ken Norton  (Read 5809 times)

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
Re: RIP Ken Norton
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 06:57:10 AM »
very sad to hear. I always rooted against him because I was an Ali fan and Ken just had that awkward style. You could make an argument that he won all three of his fights versus Ali.  Fight with Holmes was a classic, definatley one of the top 5 or 10 greatest HWT championship fights of all time.

Norton was the first man to hold the tittle without ever having won a tittle fight.

R.I.P.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 09:11:37 AM »
RIP. I'm a huge boxing fan. Loved watching his fights.

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 09:26:08 AM »
RIP. I'm a huge boxing fan. Loved watching his fights.

x2

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2013, 12:08:52 PM »
Had to have scar tissue in the brain from the Clooney beating. He suffered from strokes later in life. No wonder. Brutal sport. If Clooney had leg stamina he would have been the Great White Hope as promoted.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 04:34:27 PM »
Norton's trainer, Eddie Futch, a man who previously led Frazier to a win over the seemingly unbeatable Ali, thought he had the legend's number.

"He has serious deficiencies which his speed enables him to overcome, like a pretty girl being able to overcome the fact she's not smart," Futch told Los Angeles Times columnist Jim Murray. "He never learned to respect his trade because he never had to. When he loses his speed even journeyman fighters will beat him."

Those words would prove prescient at the end of Ali's career, but not soon enough to help Norton—or Frazier. Ali would go on to win two fights from each man, ending his career as the greatest of all time.

^

same with Roy, Anderson, etc

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 04:41:51 PM »
"He has serious deficiencies, which his speed enables him to overcome, like a pretty girl being able to overcome the fact she's not smart,"

Futch told Los Angeles Times columnist Jim Murray.

"He never learned to respect his trade, because he never had to. When he loses his speed, even journeyman fighters will beat him."