Author Topic: Chernobyl site on Google maps  (Read 4700 times)

The Italian Lifter

• Getbig IV
  • I need an English dictionary!
Chernobyl site on Google maps
« on: September 20, 2013, 07:52:31 AM »
http://blog.thecheaproute.com/exploring-chernobyl-with-google-maps/

---------

Scientists are planning to use the nearby, radioactive and abandoned town of Pripyat and surrounding area as a unique laboratory for modeling the dispersal of radionuclides by the detonation of a dirty bomb or an attack with chemical or biological agents. The area offers an unparalleled opportunity to fully understand the passage of radioactive debris through an urban and rural area.
"A Radioactive Ghost Town's Improbable New Life". 2005.

The Pripyat amusement park in Pripyat, Ukraine is an abandoned amusement park. It was to be opened on May 1, 1986 in time for the May Day celebrations (decorations for this event are still in place in Pripyat today) but the plans were interrupted when on April 26 the Chernobyl disaster occurred a few kilometers away. The park was opened for a couple of hours on April 27 to keep the city people entertained before the announcement to evacuate the city was made. Today, the park, and in particular the Ferris wheel are a symbol of the Chernobyl disaster. The amusement park itself is located behind the Palace of Culture in the centre of the city.
North of Italy

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
Re: Chernobyl site on Google maps
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 07:58:53 AM »
good stuff.
sept 10th APF

Branchs Ears

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 08:14:36 AM »
Very cool.  There are some excellent videos on Youtube also.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 08:23:59 AM »
http://kiddofspeed.com/chapter1.html

Great photos and stories. 

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
  • flirtin with disaster everyday
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 08:34:58 AM »
isotopes of peace.

WannaBePro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 11:35:05 AM »
I grew up 90km from Chernobyl (in Kiev) and was born 3 years after the explosion.
My grandmother and parents told me that when it happened they weren't told about it for a couple weeks, not until the BBC reported and people picked up the story from the radio. Apparently Sweden picked up radiation approaching them and didn't know where it was coming from. Finally, the Soviet Union came out and acknowledged that Chernobyl power plant did blow up. They told people living in the immediate area to stay at home and not go outside  ::)

Anyway, that's what I heard from family.

As a consequence, I get blood work done every year on my hormone levels (primarily thyroid). So far so good, no abnormalities or mutations *fingers crossed*.
Interestingly enough, in Canada (where I currently reside), even though we have public healthcare, when I go to a doc (I don't have a family doc, so I go to a clinic) and get blood work done, they always tell me how hormone levels are too expensive to test and because I "look healthy" I most likely don't need the tests done. When they finish giving me their shpeel I tell them I grew up near Chernobyl and they immediate check everything on the sheet off!

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 11:46:27 AM »
Children of Pripyat thought they were funny and clever...
making illegal calls abroad, from their rusty phone booths,
mocking them...
they pissed off many grown ups around the globe...
until they crossed phone line paths with Tito.  ;D

Enjoy your Borscht soup ionized with desolation.

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 12:29:28 PM »
Pic reminds me of COD: Modern Warfare!
O

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 12:41:05 PM »
 Great thread

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 01:12:11 PM »

start a 28:00 .

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 03:07:17 PM »
I grew up 90km from Chernobyl (in Kiev) and was born 3 years after the explosion.
My grandmother and parents told me that when it happened they weren't told about it for a couple weeks, not until the BBC reported and people picked up the story from the radio. Apparently Sweden picked up radiation approaching them and didn't know where it was coming from. Finally, the Soviet Union came out and acknowledged that Chernobyl power plant did blow up. They told people living in the immediate area to stay at home and not go outside  ::)

As a consequence, I get blood work done every year on my hormone levels (primarily thyroid). So far so good, no abnormalities or mutations *fingers crossed*.
Interestingly enough, in Canada (where I currently reside), even though we have public healthcare, when I go to a doc (I don't have a family doc, so I go to a clinic) and get blood work done, they always tell me how hormone levels are too expensive to test and because I "look healthy" I most likely don't need the tests done. When they finish giving me their shpeel I tell them I grew up near Chernobyl and they immediate check everything on the sheet off!

Nope, radiation/explosion was detected first by Scandinavians, Soviet Regime denied , but latter admitted it.
Similar secrecy was when Soviet pilot landed in Japan with his Mig  ;)

Gonuclear

• Getbig III
  • It depends on what the meaning of "is" is.
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 12:06:33 AM »
Nope, radiation/explosion was detected first by Scandinavians, Soviet Regime denied , but latter admitted it.
Similar secrecy was when Soviet pilot landed in Japan with his Mig  ;)

It was Sweden that detected it, when radiation alarms went off at one of their Nuclear Power Plants (Forsmark), and Swedes are Scandinavians.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 12:56:57 AM »
Reminds me of that Call of Duty map. Life is just a serious game.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 07:39:41 AM »
The park was opened for a couple of hours on April 27 to keep the city people entertained before the announcement to evacuate the city was made.

1 day after the meltdown... unbelievable, only in Russia..

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 02:31:35 AM »

Cool story. I heard in a documentary that those living in or around Chernobyl only have a couple percentage points higher risk of cancer. Animals do just fine there but even though it is a small increase in cancer risk for humans it's still too big to be acceptable.