Author Topic: 7th-graders suspended for playing with airsoft gun in own yard  (Read 1404 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
7th-graders suspended for playing with airsoft gun in own yard
« on: September 24, 2013, 01:57:26 PM »
Absolutely ridiculous.

7th-graders suspended for playing with airsoft gun in own yard
Published September 24, 2013 / FoxNews.com

Two seventh-grade students in Virginia Beach, Va., were handed long-term suspensions Tuesday that will last until the end of the school year for playing with an airsoft gun in one of their front yards while waiting for the school bus.

WAVY-TV reports that 13-year-old Khalid Caraballo and Aidan Clark will face an additional hearing in January to determine if they will be expelled for "possession, handling and use of a firearm" because the guns were fired at two others playing in Caraballo's yard.

A neighbor saw Khalid shooting the airsoft gun in his yard and called 911, telling the dispatcher, "He is pointing the gun, and it looks like there's a target in a tree in his front yard," the station reported.

Khalid claims he never took the toy gun to the designated bus stop or Larkspur Middle School, according to the report. Two other students who fired guns were also suspended.

In a letter obtained by WAVY.com, school principal Matthew Delaney found that the "children were firing pellet guns at each other, and at people near the bus stop." Delaney states in the letter that one child "was only 10 feet from the bus stop, and ran from the shots being fired, but was still hit."

The school's so-called "zero-tolerance" policy on guns extends to private property, according to the report.

Khalid's mother, Solangel Caraballo, said it's ridiculous that her son and his friends were suspended because they were firing the airsoft gun on private property.

"My son is my private property. He does not become the school's property until he goes to the bus stop, gets on the bus, and goes to school," Caraballo told the station.

Khalid told WAVY-TV he thinks the punishment is unfair and may hurt his chances of getting into a good college after graduating from high school.

"It's on your school record. The school said I had possession of a firearm. They aren't going to ask me any questions. They are going to think it was a real gun, and I was trying to hurt someone," he said.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/24/7th-grader-suspended-for-playing-with-airsoft-gun-in-own-yard/

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: 7th-graders suspended for playing with airsoft gun in own yard
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 04:06:53 PM »
good they should have more common sense

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 04:42:38 PM »
good they should have more common sense
exactly what actions lacked common sense to you?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 04:52:51 PM »

lack common sense much?

In a letter obtained by WAVY.com, school principal Matthew Delaney found that the "children were firing pellet guns at each other, and at people near the bus stop." Delaney states in the letter that one child "was only 10 feet from the bus stop, and ran from the shots being fired, but was still hit."

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 04:54:26 PM »

are you serious,how about firing an airsoft gun at kids that are not part of this shit show

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 04:59:43 PM »
are you serious,how about firing an airsoft gun at kids that are not part of this shit show
lack common sense much?

there were more than 2 ppl in this incident, how do we know the ppl 10ft away from the bus stop were not part of the shit show?

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 05:42:12 AM »
Not surprised that the little Stasi-wannabes on here have no problem with a school doling out punishments over issues they have no authority over.

What a pathetic group of statist, leftist losers this forum has assembled.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 05:55:19 AM »
LMFAO!!!!  Airsoft are little plastic light nothings. 

Typical of the communist tyrannical statist left to agree w this. 

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 06:17:48 AM »
Let's not batter with common sense the leftist idiots on this board.

Remember that when it comes to guns, liberals are a bunch of cowards. They are even scared of the airsoft kind. Supposedly they can be converted into real guns.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 07:19:08 AM »
Soon they will be trying to ban Nerf guns 'for the children's safety'.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 07:26:14 AM »
Liberal lemmings are terrified of even water squirt guns

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 07:43:19 AM »
??????????????/   Those guns do hurt a bit.  Imagine an 11 year old 6th grader getting hit with one? 

Did ya read the story?  The kid lived 70 feet from the bus stop.  He walked to a point 10 feet from teh bus stop and shot other kids with it.  

Look, have all the fun you want anywhere you want.  But the minute you violate the rights of other kids - just standing there waiting on the bus - you have committed a crime.

DONT suspend him.  Charge him with assault.  let me walk up to a grownup at a bus stop and shoot a guy 25 times in the back of the head with an airsoft gun.  My ass is going to jail.  They can hurt.  

That's the answer here.  Airsoft gun = felony second degree assault, I believe?  

DONT charge the kid for the school bus stop issue.  Charge him for hurting others with a weapon.  

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 08:15:45 AM »
??????????????/   Those guns do hurt a bit.  Imagine an 11 year old 6th grader getting hit with one? 

Did ya read the story?  The kid lived 70 feet from the bus stop.  He walked to a point 10 feet from teh bus stop and shot other kids with it.  

why bother, they're what's known as fox news smart.dumb is as dumb does

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 08:18:08 AM »

why bother, they're what's known as fox news smart.dumb is as dumb does

We shot each other w roman candles, m80's bb guns, penny rockets etc - no one ever got hurt. 

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 08:28:27 AM »
We shot each other w roman candles, m80's bb guns, penny rockets etc - no one ever got hurt. 

we did stupid shit too,but we were all in it, we didn't go shoot kids that were not in the game,that's the difference  :o

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 08:43:05 AM »
we did stupid shit too,but we were all in it, we didn't go shoot kids that were not in the game,that's the difference  :o

Yea the kid is probably a little shit and should be disciplined by his parents...but that's not the point.
The point is that the school and the stupid liberal media is trying to make this into a 'gun issue'.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 11:50:59 AM »
Yea the kid is probably a little shit and should be disciplined by his parents...but that's not the point.
The point is that the school and the stupid liberal media is trying to make this into a 'gun issue'.

it's an assault issue.  They assaulted other kids and should be in the crim justice system for it.  School, call the authorities and let them handle it. 

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 01:27:57 PM »

it's an assault issue.  They assaulted other kids and should be in the crim justice system for it.  School, call the authorities and let them handle it. 

It should have been a small local incident that noone outside the neighborhood or maybe community even hears about. Instead wits in the national media because they are trying to fit it into their 'gun issue' agenda

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 07:10:14 PM »
??????????????/   Those guns do hurt a bit.  Imagine an 11 year old 6th grader getting hit with one?  

Look, have all the fun you want anywhere you want.  But the minute you violate the rights of other kids - just standing there waiting on the bus - you have committed a crime.

DONT suspend him.  Charge him with assault.  let me walk up to a grownup at a bus stop and shoot a guy 25 times in the back of the head with an airsoft gun.  My ass is going to jail.  They can hurt.  

That's the answer here.  Airsoft gun = felony second degree assault, I believe?  

DONT charge the kid for the school bus stop issue.  Charge him for hurting others with a weapon.  

Why the fuck do you always lie? There is no proof that he walked to 10 feet away as their are conflicting sources over it.

The police chose not to do anything so why is the school in the position to? Both kids have now been expelled, too.  ::)

it's an assault issue.  They assaulted other kids and should be in the crim justice system for it.  School, call the authorities and let them handle it.  

The authorities were called, moron. They chose not to do anything. Do you ever do any actual reading of the events you talk about or do you just vomit up the same talking points you watched on MSNBC? I have never seen someone so woefully uninformed feel the need to constantly act like an expert.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 07:44:45 PM »

Did ya read the story?  The kid lived 70 feet from the bus stop.  He walked to a point 10 feet from teh bus stop and shot other kids with it. 

Look, have all the fun you want anywhere you want.  But the minute you violate the rights of other kids - just standing there waiting on the bus - you have committed a crime.

DONT suspend him.  Charge him with assault.  let me walk up to a grownup at a bus stop and shoot a guy 25 times in the back of the head with an airsoft gun.  My ass is going to jail.  They can hurt. 

That's the answer here.  Airsoft gun = felony second degree assault, I believe? 

DONT charge the kid for the school bus stop issue.  Charge him for hurting others with a weapon. 
do you know if the kids he was shooting at were involved in the situation or not?

there were multiple kids involved in this, its possible that the kids they were shooting at within 10 ft of the bus stop were also involved in the situation.......

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 12:09:51 AM »
" away as their are conflicting sources over it. ''

Over what?  The kid didn't deny the kid running away was shot.  The parents didn't deny it.  The neighbor witnessed it and called 911.  The kids at the bus stop reported it too.

I didn't read any "conflicting sources" on this issue.  Me, I'm tough on crime - if you shoot a pellet gun at someone and hit them, you should get locked the fck up.  Why wait until you get lucky and take out their eye?  You're violating their right to life & liberty and pursuit of happiness.  I bet Ron Paul would love up some 12 year old idiot who shoots another kid with a pellet or BB gun.  They do hurt.  Watch youtube videos of that this.  People scream, they hurt.

all 3 were suspended.  I'd charge all 3 with public whatever, endangerment?  I can't run around having gun battles and target practice at a city bus stop,  I go to jail for that shit.  Parents have a requirement to control their kids if they give them guns.  shoot that shit in the basement or otherwise prevent the pellets from 'accidentally' shooting other kids lol.   Accident my ass :)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 04:01:35 AM »
I'm going to go with this being a totally inappropriate thing to do even if they were in their own yard.  I would defiantly be very fucking pissed if my kid was shooting airsoft waiting for the bus—other kids involved or not...  I’m totally 2nd Amendment, but this would piss me off too.  These kids are not totally innocent and I seriously doubt their parents approved of what they were doing or shouldn't have...

It wasn’t the time or place for that and they should have known it. and their parents should have taught them that....  End story, not cool...  They were out there to wait for the bus to go to school, not shoot airsoft rifles at each other.

If we're to keep the 2nd alive, you have to teach it to your kids along with all of the safety that goes along with THE RESPONSIBILITY and this is NOT a good example of that happening.  

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 08:02:16 AM »
It was obviously a dumbass thing to do, and the kids should be punished (preferably by their fucking PARENTS)....

but my question is, how in the fuck does the school have any authority over what happens off school property? They dont and should not have the ability to punish anyone for something that occurs off their property....

Id be awfully pissed off if my kids were punished by the school for something they did when not in school. If theybwere on the bus, thatd be one thing...

parents should be the ones holding their children accountable for this.