Author Topic: Layne Norton - his lawsuit - discussion and more  (Read 12787 times)

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
Re: DR??? Layne Norton
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2013, 08:43:37 AM »
Let me guess, you call yourself a Dr. too

No PhD here hot stuff.

It's been answered, he has a PHD.

I know.  I answered.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2013, 08:48:17 AM »
In some cases, PHD most certainly stands for Piled High and Deep.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2013, 09:08:34 AM »
He doesn't take the tags off because its going right back to the store after the Olympia. He's so cheap, I hear he gets his protein straight from the tap...

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
Re: Copy Of Layne Norton's Lawsuit Now Available On Anabolic Mayhem
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2013, 09:15:59 AM »
vince doesn't have the mass to compete in bikini division

Kahn.N.Singh

• Getbig IV
  • Die Weltgeschichte ist das Weltgericht
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2013, 09:23:11 AM »
A PhD is a research degree, and, obviously, not all PhDs are created equal.

There are disciplinary degrees of difficulty with corresponding barriers to entry and exit.

A PhD in, say, Economics or Theoretical Physics from a competitive program is on a whole different qualitative level than a PhD in Nutritional Sciences from a middling university.

Norton might well be a productive researcher in his field, but a look at the admissions requirements of his PhD granting department reveals that the program is not very competitive (http://nutrsci.illinois.edu/future_students/admission_requirements ; I could be wrong, of course, but the department does not have a minimum cutoff score for the GRE, which is very, very odd for a science-based program).

Still, his competency as a "nutritional science" researcher has no necessary correspondence with his competency as a bodybuilding color commentator. Subsequently, his performance as a commentator really has nothing to do with his "PhD," but probably with other factors that are not being discussed.

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2013, 09:35:12 AM »
I try to be nice to most people, but bro, you are fucking delusional.

Its very hard with vince.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Re: Layne Norton - his lawsuit - discussion and more
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2013, 10:13:03 AM »
Lol at the people thinking PhD's are a joke ::)

Would love to see you guys taking part in this joke and seeing how long you would last.

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2013, 11:45:39 AM »

Would love to see you guys taking part in this joke and seeing how long you would last.

Depending on where you get your PhD, yes, they can be a joke.  I knew a guy who got his PhD from University of Phoenix.  It was an online doctoral program.  He gave his dissertation over the phone on Easter weekend.  Now, you tell me.  What kind of a doctoral program is that. 

Not taking anything away from Norton, I have no idea where he got his education.   :-\

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2013, 11:48:19 AM »
Goodrum is smart.

X2

A man like Goodrum is always thinking 2 or 3 moves ahead.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2013, 02:16:41 PM »
Depending on where you get your PhD, yes, they can be a joke.  I knew a guy who got his PhD from University of Phoenix.  It was an online doctoral program.  He gave his dissertation over the phone on Easter weekend.  Now, you tell me.  What kind of a doctoral program is that. 

Not taking anything away from Norton, I have no idea where he got his education.   :-\

Yes there are some programs that are suspect, are most... Not really , if you want to get some serious funding, you have to be pretty legitimate.  Laynes program is actually nationally ranked in the field, regardless of the GRE requirements (I had to take the GRE for mine but many top programs are phasing those out, so I wouldnt use that as my basis on its legitimacy)

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2013, 02:49:30 PM »
Yes there are some programs that are suspect, are most... Not really , if you want to get some serious funding, you have to be pretty legitimate.  Laynes program is actually nationally ranked in the field, regardless of the GRE requirements (I had to take the GRE for mine but many top programs are phasing those out, so I wouldnt use that as my basis on its legitimacy)

No TV's.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2013, 08:07:22 PM »

There are disciplinary degrees of difficulty with corresponding barriers to entry and exit.

A PhD in, say, Economics or Theoretical Physics from a competitive program is on a whole different qualitative level than a PhD in Nutritional Sciences from a middling university.

Norton might well be a productive researcher in his field, but a look at the admissions requirements of his PhD granting department reveals that the program is not very competitive (http://nutrsci.illinois.edu/future_students/admission_requirements ; I could be wrong, of course, but the department does not have a minimum cutoff score for the GRE, which is very, very odd for a science-based program).

Still, his competency as a "nutritional science" researcher has no necessary correspondence with his competency as a bodybuilding color commentator. Subsequently, his performance as a commentator really has nothing to do with his "PhD," but probably with other factors that are not being discussed.

kahn

a well known 'causual owner' that relaxes on getbig once in a while when on vacation away from his house in the bahamas lays the pyramid shit right across  lay nortrons face
A

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2013, 08:35:40 PM »
Will take a look, thanks Vince. Do you have any intention to compete again?

a

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2013, 11:54:59 PM »
I wish Ron would spend some of his millions on creating an underground fighting club where all three of these cnts - norton, ice cream tard and vince - could be locked in a cage and forced to battle to the death.

It would be the only genuinely entertaining thing any of them had ever done

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2013, 12:28:51 AM »
Phd in nutrition isn't exactly sought after.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2013, 01:22:13 AM »
Phd in nutrition isn't exactly sought after.

You wonder why he wouldn't just get a PhD in biochemistry, given his interests.

Accreditation and publication aren't firm indicators of quality if the degree and institutions vitiated by it are bunk.

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2013, 03:33:09 AM »

I'd last 5 minutes because the things i do are for money, not attention whoring.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2013, 03:42:16 AM »
If the dude wanted to do nutrition, then so be it.  At least he followed that interest through.

Layne Norton can easily be made fun of for various things (who could forget the "enter the gym stomp" routine for deadlifting).

It's not necessary to make out that it's not a genuinely decent achievement.  It devalues the "hate" you are attempting to pile on him when you start just basically picking on things that are ok achievements.  There are many lower grade haters on this board and they break hating rules, such as - do not bring up things that could be construed as positive - as you devalue your hate.

"Oh he's got a fucking ferrari, what a limp dick"

It's not worth the same amount as a real science PhD, but it's still decent. 

Stick to your hating on the various things he's lame for.  Like, what is with those spectacles?  OMG right, who picked those frames??

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2013, 03:50:47 AM »
After Vince posts his transformation pics, people worldwide will be inspired to add toilet paper to their shopping list.

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2013, 08:17:19 PM »

It's not even that hard to enroll in PhD program at MIT etc. Research field isn't as competitive as one could think. The very best stay to pursue PhD but as we gown down with skill level temptation of big money in private industry rises and likelihood that they could ever produce any substantial research decreases. It opens a room for many mediocre guys who produce tons of BS research every year. I read many papers on arXiv which made no sense at all. I once stumbled upon an author that produced around 10 papers on sorting, he had PhD from some random Turkish university. They were absolute rubbish, researcher in theoretical computer science who could not grasp the concept of computational complexity :X

People do not get it. Then again, those who are impressed by PhD title probably should be because they are on the lower end of the scale anyway ;)

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2013, 04:00:02 AM »
It's not necessary to make out that it's not a genuinely decent achievement.  It devalues the "hate" you are attempting to pile on him when you start just basically picking on things that are ok achievements.  There are many lower grade haters on this board and they break hating rules, such as - do not bring up things that could be construed as positive - as you devalue your hate.

It's not worth the same amount as a real science PhD, but it's still decent. 

The whole question is whether the PhD in question is laughable or not. If you assume that it isn't, as you do, then we've perhaps violated the hating rules. Otherwise, not.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2013, 04:59:05 AM »
The whole question is whether the PhD in question is laughable or not. If you assume that it isn't, as you do, then we've perhaps violated the hating rules. Otherwise, not.

True, but I don't have proof that it is not a laughable PhD and it's fairly clear to me that negative conjecture isn't particularly all that powerful of a tool.  It's actually extremely petty and small minded.  It devalues criticism to resort to speculation.  At the very least, it's an "ok" achievement for a human being and I stand by that.  It's not my field of interest - that's for sure - but I'll tip my hat at sticking with it.  It isn't really about the relative merit of the achievement as it is no more "impressive" for a savant to coast through theoretical physics phd than it is for a disabled kid to get through a obstacle course.  Relatively speaking, it's an ok achievement, given the intellectual palettes available.

People do not get it. Then again, those who are impressed by PhD title probably should be because they are on the lower end of the scale anyway ;)

Or they believe that the individual who criticises other people's "achievements" is often doing so with the agenda of avoiding the extremely likely feeling that they themselves have accomplished little in their life, in comparison ;)

What it all boils down to is this, the moment the hater gives himself up as jealous or perhaps too gleeful in his search for negativity - to the point where he doesn't bother waiting for the truth to arise, that hater's opinion means nothing.  It's just noise. 

I do not suggest anyone in particular fits this mould - only that inadequacy is a pretty common fuel in the application of criticism.  Particularly unsolicited criticism.  Those who are intelligent should recognise this and fuel their own exploits, rather than attempt to strike at the indirect source of the discomfort. 

I live in Australia - and if there is a worse country for this, I'd be surprised.  In this country the rule is simple - if you're average, you're one of us, but don't you fucking dare rise above that or you're a cnut and you're fair game :)

Like I say, not specifically suggesting anybody is necessarily of this mindset. 

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2013, 01:19:48 PM »
Vince, will be you natty or juiced for your men's physique show?
O

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2013, 01:25:54 PM »
Vince, will be you natty or juiced for your men's physique show?

Natty of course using only Advocare products.  I'm doing this for business only...not going to put my well-being at risk for a plastic trophy. 

Speaking of which, I'm about to launch my most boldest marketing plan ever
A