Author Topic: Islam Only Gets a Bad Name b/c of Middle Eastern Muslims  (Read 8900 times)

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
Islam Only Gets a Bad Name b/c of Middle Eastern Muslims
« on: September 30, 2013, 03:23:33 AM »
Hahah, just kidding. Fooled yah!

32% of Indonesians approve of attacks on Americans
http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/pdf/feb09/STARTII_Feb09_rpt.pdf

43% of Indonesians have a positive view of Hezbollah (30% negative)
http://pewglobal.org/2010/12/02/muslims-around-the-world-divided-on-hamas-and-hezbollah/

Pew Research: 59% of Indonesians support Osama bin Laden in 2003
http://www.forbes.com/2010/02/15/iran-terrorism-al-qaida-islam-opinions-columnists-ilan-berman.html

40% of Indonesians approve of violence in defense of Islam.
http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailweekly.asp?fileid=20060728.@03

93% of SE Asian Muslims think wives must always obey husbands, regardless of their own will.
(see below chart)

A majority of SE Asian Muslims support the implementation of Sharia law.
(see below chart)

56% of SE Asian Muslims in support of Sharia law think those who attempt to leave Islam should be executed.
(see below chart)

On the other hand, 53% of Muslims worldwide think women have a choice of whether to wear a veil in public or not. What impressive modernity!
(see below chart)

lacticacid

• Getbig II
Re: Islam Only Gets a Bad Name B/c of Middle Eastern Muslims
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 03:26:20 AM »
yuk

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Re: Islam Only Gets a Bad Name b/c of Middle Eastern Muslims
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 05:17:43 AM »
They need to up their prayer dosage from 5x to 6x a day. Then, their countries wouldn't be such sh!tholes ;)

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 06:12:54 AM »
And every time they have some kind of natural disaster its the good old USA that is the first to help with money and support while their fellow (SH)I(T)SLAM sit back and do sweet fuck all

So tired of hearing how not every (insert fucked up country/religion/people) are like this, yet do nothing about those who supposedly tarnish their name.

If say for example, a white Christian nutbar blows up a building in Oklahoma, the USA law enforcement finds the perp, prosecutes then executes(True story brahs)

If some hardcore Islamic blows up a shopping mall full of innocents, these fuckwits give him a parade
"

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 06:22:40 AM »
Welcome to your new overlords, them and the Chinese Technocrats.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 09:48:45 AM »
And every time they have some kind of natural disaster its the good old USA that is the first to help with money and support while their fellow (SH)I(T)SLAM sit back and do sweet fuck all

So tired of hearing how not every (insert fucked up country/religion/people) are like this, yet do nothing about those who supposedly tarnish their name.

If say for example, a white Christian nutbar blows up a building in Oklahoma, the USA law enforcement finds the perp, prosecutes then executes(True story brahs)

If some hardcore Islamic blows up a shopping mall full of innocents, these fuckwits give him a parade

I just hate how non-muslims paint the community of muslim men and women.  Do extremists sect exist?  Yes.  Do they represent the whole?  LOL, no.  

I'm a Christian man and admittedly I had the same ignorant fear of Islam that so many others do, but my heart is changing in regards to the Muslims of the world.  

Let's put up some random numbers here.  Let's say out of the 2billion muslims worldwide that 50million are extremists (I mean hardcore, "death to Christians", "death to the West", "death to America", "death to non Muslims" Muslims......50million!!).   That leaves roughly 98% that are not extremist in anyway and do abide by peace and mercy and fellowship and family and community.

I see so many Christians with no real concept of Islam and so many Muslims with no real concept of Christianity...it's a shame.  

Me, I don't want to fight with Muslims on these boards anymore.  Will I defend my faith?  Yes, as best I'm able to.  Will I attack those that disagree with me?  No and I'll do my level best to represent Christ.

I can't evangelize the world LOL, but I do feel differently about the community of Muslims worldwide.  

My prayer is that the Muslims of this world that have never been given an honest understanding of who Christ is will be given that opportunity in their lives so that they can make a truly informed decision about Christ.  On the flipside, I hope Christians and folks with no faith/religion that have never been educated about Islam will be given that opportunity so that they too can make an informed choice.  

stingray

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 06:28:32 PM »
Hahah, just kidding. Fooled yah!

32% of Indonesians approve of attacks on Americans
http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/pdf/feb09/STARTII_Feb09_rpt.pdf

43% of Indonesians have a positive view of Hezbollah (30% negative)
http://pewglobal.org/2010/12/02/muslims-around-the-world-divided-on-hamas-and-hezbollah/

Pew Research: 59% of Indonesians support Osama bin Laden in 2003
http://www.forbes.com/2010/02/15/iran-terrorism-al-qaida-islam-opinions-columnists-ilan-berman.html

40% of Indonesians approve of violence in defense of Islam.
http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailweekly.asp?fileid=20060728.@03

93% of SE Asian Muslims think wives must always obey husbands, regardless of their own will.
(see below chart)

A majority of SE Asian Muslims support the implementation of Sharia law.
(see below chart)

56% of SE Asian Muslims in support of Sharia law think those who attempt to leave Islam should be executed.
(see below chart)

On the other hand, 53% of Muslims worldwide think women have a choice of whether to wear a veil in public or not. What impressive modernity!
(see below chart)

A billion muslims in the world, and how many did they survey?

Couple thousands?

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 09:56:48 PM »
I just hate how non-muslims paint the community of muslim men and women.  Do extremists sect exist?  Yes.  Do they represent the whole?  LOL, no.  

I'm a Christian man and admittedly I had the same ignorant fear of Islam that so many others do, but my heart is changing in regards to the Muslims of the world.  

Let's put up some random numbers here.  Let's say out of the 2billion muslims worldwide that 50million are extremists (I mean hardcore, "death to Christians", "death to the West", "death to America", "death to non Muslims" Muslims......50million!!).   That leaves roughly 98% that are not extremist in anyway and do abide by peace and mercy and fellowship and family and community.

I see so many Christians with no real concept of Islam and so many Muslims with no real concept of Christianity...it's a shame.  

Me, I don't want to fight with Muslims on these boards anymore.  Will I defend my faith?  Yes, as best I'm able to.  Will I attack those that disagree with me?  No and I'll do my level best to represent Christ.

I can't evangelize the world LOL, but I do feel differently about the community of Muslims worldwide.  

My prayer is that the Muslims of this world that have never been given an honest understanding of who Christ is will be given that opportunity in their lives so that they can make a truly informed decision about Christ.  On the flipside, I hope Christians and folks with no faith/religion that have never been educated about Islam will be given that opportunity so that they too can make an informed choice.  

GTFO!  That's way too rational for these boards.  :)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 06:47:20 AM »
The Mohammedans contribute nothing to the advancement of humanity beyond violence and intolerance.

They are the most violent, racist, hateful and bigoted group of people on the planet.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 07:50:30 AM »
I just hate how non-muslims paint the community of muslim men and women.  Do extremists sect exist?  Yes. Do they represent the whole? LOL. no

Well, I can't speak for others, but the import of what I posted is that a scarily significant class of Muslims around the world have extremely retrograde beliefs, the sort of stuff which is simply antithetical to Western society as it's currently structured. This is a statistical property of the community of Muslims as a whole and thus represents that whole, in some sense of the word.

Inferring statistical properties about Muslims as a group needn't be the same thing as judging all Muslims as individuals.

We can make up a bunch of random numbers, or we can look at the real numbers, derived from the real world. I happen to think the latter is a more productive strategy for understanding the way the world actually is.

The non-made-up numbers, derived from the pretty extensive statistical work referred to in my original post (the Pew survey), indicate that regressive attitudes towards women, homosexuals, democracy, and a generalized hostility to the secular principles undergirding Western civilization (e.g., Sharia law is explicitly religious and thus explicitly in opposition to a separation of church and state) are extremely widespread in Muslim communities around the world, regardless of the particular region in question.

So, that that is the case isn't open to question, unless some error exists in the statistical work done. The question then becomes, "Why is it that everywhere on Earth Muslims exist, these sorts of attitudes are so prevalent?"

Random chance? Being coextensive with other cultural factors that just happen to inculcate the same sorts of beliefs?

Or, perhaps there's something inherent in the teachings of Islam which make this result predictable?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 09:08:36 AM »
Well, I can't speak for others, but the import of what I posted is that a scarily significant class of Muslims around the world have extremely retrograde beliefs, the sort of stuff which is simply antithetical to Western society as it's currently structured. This is a statistical property of the community of Muslims as a whole and thus represents that whole, in some sense of the word.

Inferring statistical properties about Muslims as a group needn't be the same thing as judging all Muslims as individuals.

We can make up a bunch of random numbers, or we can look at the real numbers, derived from the real world. I happen to think the latter is a more productive strategy for understanding the way the world actually is.

The non-made-up numbers, derived from the pretty extensive statistical work referred to in my original post (the Pew survey), indicate that regressive attitudes towards women, homosexuals, democracy, and a generalized hostility to the secular principles undergirding Western civilization (e.g., Sharia law is explicitly religious and thus explicitly in opposition to a separation of church and state) are extremely widespread in Muslim communities around the world, regardless of the particular region in question.

So, that that is the case isn't open to question, unless some error exists in the statistical work done. The question then becomes, "Why is it that everywhere on Earth Muslims exist, these sorts of attitudes are so prevalent?"

Random chance? Being coextensive with other cultural factors that just happen to inculcate the same sorts of beliefs?

Or, perhaps there's something inherent in the teachings of Islam which make this result predictable?

I don't question the findings, but I do question the sample size for the poll (approx 38,000 Muslims across several countries).  

Do the opinions of the 38K truly represent the total 2 billion worldwide?  Is that an adequate sample size?  I don't know, but it is only 2 thousandths of a percent of the whole.

I'm no statistician, but I do question it.  Does the opinion of the 38K polled adequately represent the opinions of Getbig's Muslims?

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 11:11:58 AM »
I don't question the findings, but I do question the sample size for the poll (approx 38,000 Muslims across several countries). 

Do the opinions of the 38K truly represent the total 2 billion worldwide?  Is that an adequate sample size?  I don't know, but it is only 2 thousandths of a percent of the whole.

I'm not statistician, but I do question it.  Does the opinion of the 38K polled adequately represent the opinions of Getbig's Muslims?

Using statistical methods, we can regularly predict how 100+ million people will vote in each presidential election solely on the basis of samples of ~1,000 people, so my sense is that the Pew survey's methodology is extremely robust, relatively speaking: it was conducted across three continents, in 38 countries, was administered to tens of thousands of people, and is accepted by the relevant experts. Random samples of no less than 1,000 people were utilized in each country.

A basic property of the sorts of statistical methods utilized here is that the population size (in this instance, number of Muslims worldwide) isn't really relevant, as counterintuitive as that is.

It's true that a decent amount of countries were left out. But it is extremely unlikely that their inclusion would at all alter the results, given the data that was collected from Muslims nearby and the unlikelihood that any one of them is a secret bastion of moderate Muslim thought. Would Syria's inclusion somehow make Muslims' overall attitudes more moderate? How about Saudi Arabia? You get the point.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 12:15:51 PM »
Using statistical methods, we can regularly predict how 100+ million people will vote in each presidential election solely on the basis of samples of ~1,000 people, so my sense is that the Pew survey's methodology is extremely robust, relatively speaking: it was conducted across three continents, in 38 countries, was administered to tens of thousands of people, and is accepted by the relevant experts. Random samples of no less than 1,000 people were utilized in each country.

A basic property of the sorts of statistical methods utilized here is that the population size (in this instance, number of Muslims worldwide) isn't really relevant, as counterintuitive as that is.

It's true that a decent amount of countries were left out. But it is extremely unlikely that their inclusion would at all alter the results, given the data that was collected from Muslims nearby and the unlikelihood that any one of them is a secret bastion of moderate Muslim thought. Would Syria's inclusion somehow make Muslims' overall attitudes more moderate? How about Saudi Arabia? You get the point.

I understand what you're saying and that was my only objection.  If that's a standard, reasonable statistical sampling that is accurately representative of a population that size then the findings are very interesting and unfortunate.   

It's curious that the findings stand opposed to what ahmed, stingray, bigbob often post concerning the treatment of women, use of violence, death for apostasy, etc....

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 02:20:03 PM »
Using this methodology we could conclude that all Americans want to kill all Muslims and bomb Muslim countries based on getbig's politics section.

Hardly credible, when in reality I am sure, most Americans are sick of all the American led wars. After all the US is so bankrupt, how much more bankrupt can it get?

Creating boogey men and scapegoats out of Muslims for America's own faults is hardly the way forward. Everyone's obsessed with blaming Muslims. European countries are trying real hard to blame their own faults at "Muslim immigrants", while their own natives are embracing Islam.

Here in Canada, in Quebec, they are falling apart economically and they are trying real hard to pass this 'charter of values'. LOL... which basically makes it illegal for all people to wear anything even remotely symbolically religious in any government or public place. HOWEVER, crosses are allowed in buildings as 'Quebec heritage'. Clearly for years trying to target Muslims and niqab, hijab. However not flying so well as it affects sikhs, jews, and a few other minorities. But hey it's okay, blame immigrants for economic problems and try to subliminally (but so obviously) target them.

Ontario on the other hand is smarter and put up ads with hijabis demanding healthcare professionals "We don't care what's on your head, we care what's inside it"

Racist gonna racist.

Ironically idiot Quebecers are lacking healthcare professionals which are majority immigrants anyway (muslims, sikhs, jews -- all doctors, nurses, etc...) Also affecting teachers which are also immigrants. And so on and so forth.

Even when I listened to Geert Wilder's former right hand man who converted to Islam, he said the same thing, in Europe, especially in Netherlands, they are trying real hard to blame their own problems on immigrants and basically Muslims in particular as the best scapegoat.

Thick Nick

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • "Some want to look good, others want to do good."
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 11:00:50 AM »
Islam gets a bad name because you have to be a mental defective to worship Satan and think it is the God of the Bible.... That and

Momo the pedo.
$

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 12:06:19 PM »
Thick Nick, Muslims don't worship satan but God almighty the God of Abraham, the God of Jesus, the God of Moses, the God of Job, the God of Noah, the God of Israel, the God of Adam, etc.... etc...

We also regularly say we seek the protection from the accursed satan before we do things. The qur'an repeatedly curses satan and mentions him as an open enemy to mankind.

So no.

Thick Nick

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 12:42:08 PM »
Thick Nick, Muslims don't worship satan but God almighty the God of Abraham, the God of Jesus, the God of Moses, the God of Job, the God of Noah, the God of Israel, the God of Adam, etc.... etc...

We also regularly say we seek the protection from the accursed satan before we do things. The qur'an repeatedly curses satan and mentions him as an open enemy to mankind.

So no.

Thank you for proving my point.
$

stingray

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 03:24:57 PM »

So no.

They don't call him "thick" for nothing.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 04:13:11 PM »

The problem is that, invariably, many of the Muslims that are "moderate" or "non-extremist" espouse the views of the extremists. You can see this in action when they will answer "I don't support violence but [… explanation of why violence against, e.g. Israel is justified …]" or when they'll say things "sure, I don't support those who plant IEDs but [… explanation about asymmetric war against the overwhelming military strength of an oppressive invading army …]" or when they comment that "no I don't think that cartoonists should be killed but [… explanation of why it's ok to have severe penalties, perhaps even death, and to limit freedom of speech for those so insult religions …]".

I know a number of Muslims. All of them are, generally, lovely people and I have no problem with them on an  everyday basis. But I will tell you that out of all of them only three have come out unconditionally against things like suicide bombing attacks, the murder of Theo Van Gogh, the Fatwa against the cartoonists involved in the Jyllands-Posten incident or against Salman Rushdie.

Now, admittedly, it's a small sample and somewhat anecdotal evidence anyways. But it's still scary.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2013, 04:15:53 PM »

Couple thousands?

That's how statistics works. If your sample is properly selected that's not a problem at all.

32% Indonesians approve attacks on americans?

I did read some of the article and the article did say that they don't support the attack on American civilians.

I support the killing of American soldiers who have invaded Iraq and Afghanistan but I don't support the killing of a civilian for example in the UK, Australia, UK etc.

The American who have invaded Iraq and Afghanistan are terrorists and I support the muslims movements who want to crush them.

43% Indonesians support hezbullah?

Depends what context you mean.If your talking about the protection of Lebanon by hezbuallah against the jews in Israel then people support that but majority of muslims in the world don't support hezbuallah from a ideological perspective.

59% support OBL. Yeah why shouldn't they? He wasn't responsible for 9/11 and there have been many docos made by eastern media that alqaeda does not exist.

This whole reply is just crazy, but that last bit I highlighted just takes the cake. In fact, it takes all the cakes. Wow. Just wow.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2013, 10:03:23 AM »
59% support OBL. Yeah why shouldn't they? He wasn't responsible for 9/11 and there have been many docos made by eastern media that alqaeda does not exist.

Thick Nick

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 05:17:01 AM »

Couple thousands?

32% Indonesians approve attacks on americans?

I did read some of the article and the article did say that they don't support the attack on American civilians.

I support the killing of American soldiers who have invaded Iraq and Afghanistan but I don't support the killing of a civilian for example in the UK, Australia, UK etc.

The American who have invaded Iraq and Afghanistan are terrorists and I support the muslims movements who want to crush them.

43% Indonesians support hezbullah?

Depends what context you mean.If your talking about the protection of Lebanon by hezbuallah against the jews in Israel then people support that but majority of muslims in the world don't support hezbuallah from a ideological perspective.

Lemme guess... You live in the USA though right? How is this turd not banned for this?

Momo was a pedo.
$