Author Topic: What boots do you train in?  (Read 7089 times)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
What boots do you train in?
« on: October 01, 2013, 06:28:14 AM »
Just got me some Rocky s2v.  Feeling good.  Reviews say they're stout and great for stompin islambs.

I'm feeling more tactical already.

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
Re: What boots do you train in?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 06:30:39 AM »
Add just a jock strap to the attire and Melvin will suddenly appear at your door.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 06:33:51 AM »

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 06:42:43 AM »
Just got me some Rocky s2v.  Feeling good.  Reviews say they're stout and great for stompin islambs.

Hahaha.

I have a tactical vest with 16 pockets. The "tactical" aspect is what sold me. I have an identical vest but it's not tactical. ..complete shite.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 06:44:48 AM »
Rocky's are good. Feather weight and water proof. I wore them for years at work. I don't know if they are a good choice for lifting weights. I lift in walking sneakers but I squat and do Olympic lifts in true Olympic lifting shoes.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 06:49:58 AM »
These are a great choice for Olympic squatting and doing Olympic lifts. There is no reason to wear them for doing stuff like curls. I would just switch out to sneakers for stuff like that.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 06:51:17 AM »
Hahaha.

I have a tactical vest with 16 pockets. The "tactical" aspect is what sold me. I have an identical vest but it's not tactical. ..complete shite.

LOL. I have a friend that used to refer to those tactical vests as "shoot me first" vests. Nothing is more everyday appropriate than a mag-dump pouch in the back.

(full disclosure: I have a couple of 5.11 vests too)

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 06:54:03 AM »
I tried to train in Boots but they threw me out, something about scaring the customers.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 06:56:25 AM »
^^^^Planet Fitness?

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 06:59:56 AM »
^^^^Planet Fitness?

Boots down on Hampstead High Street, went for a quiet walk on the Heath after to clear my head.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 07:22:40 AM »
Rocky's are good. Feather weight and water proof. I wore them for years at work. I don't know if they are a good choice for lifting weights. I lift in walking sneakers but I squat and do Olympic lifts in true Olympic lifting shoes.

Well, they may see some work too.  :)

I got the non-waterproof 105s for Australian summer since it basically never rains for 7 months.  Yeah, they are super light.  I used to like Merrells when I was a kid many moons ago but was really disappointed with my last set about 4 years ago.  Cut themselves to ribbons in no time.  Total waste of $200 on chinese crap.

I looked at Danners, just because I'd heard the name, but online reviews steered me toward the Rockys.  If these wear well through the season I'll get some lightly insulated waterproof ones too for the winter.  Maybe even some shitkickers as well.  Balance, flex, feel, fit - I think I'm a fan already.

I always got by in the $150 range but never owned a top quality boot before, so I guess I'm doing a little bragging here.  ;D  Got lots of Carhartt stuff too since I really dig a pair of their shorts I tried.

the trainer

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 07:25:13 AM »
If you are not wearing construction boots then you are not a bodybuilder.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 07:32:19 AM »
I considered the Cats  ;D

It's a moot point tho.  I'm sure most of you people couldn't afford them.

THE BOUNCER

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 07:38:57 AM »
I'd die over my Reeboks... you don't even know it!  8)

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 07:43:50 AM »
Well, they may see some work too.  :)

I got the non-waterproof 105s for Australian summer since it basically never rains for 7 months.  Yeah, they are super light.  I used to like Merrells when I was a kid many moons ago but was really disappointed with my last set about 4 years ago.  Cut themselves to ribbons in no time.  Total waste of $200 on chinese crap.

I looked at Danners, just because I'd heard the name, but online reviews steered me toward the Rockys.  If these wear well through the season I'll get some lightly insulated waterproof ones too for the winter.  Maybe even some shitkickers as well.  Balance, flex, feel, fit - I think I'm a fan already.

I always got by in the $150 range but never owned a top quality boot before, so I guess I'm doing a little bragging here.  ;D  Got lots of Carhartt stuff too since I really dig a pair of their shorts I tried.

Odd... I've had a pair of Merrel hiking shoes for 15 years. ..they have seen some rough terrain and they are 100 % functional and intact. Of course the insoles have been replaced quite a few times.

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
  • flirtin with disaster everyday
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 07:47:20 AM »
I have had good luck with Bates [price/comfort/durability] standing on concrete all day and welding you find out quick how good your boots are.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 08:03:22 AM »
These are a great choice for Olympic squatting and doing Olympic lifts. There is no reason to wear them for doing stuff like curls. I would just switch out to sneakers for stuff like that.

Not very durable..... there are better choices, especially for the money.

They sure do look cool though

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 08:16:25 AM »
Odd... I've had a pair of Merrel hiking shoes for 15 years. ..they have seen some rough terrain and they are 100 % functional and intact. Of course the insoles have been replaced quite a few times.

Seems like buying stuff made overseas is a crap shoot. I was talking to a guy who imported machine tools from china and he said some factories have their shit dialed in while others just bang it together to meet deadlines and price points (set by western companies, mind you), so you really need to be in the country to sift the good from the bad since 50 factories will make something that looks exactly the same.  Of course his machines were from the best factory, goes w/o saying, but I still didn't buy one.

I imagine the quality of the materials delivered for assembly would also be variable.  I don't think buying anything calling itself American made is a solution (my new Graco sprayer is labeled MADE IN USA from global components under a big flag ::) ugh ffs just stop the bullshit), but I hold out faith that buying premium quality US or Euro manufactured stuff means it really was made there beginning to end.  I hope.  Haven't pulled the trigger on a $450 1/64-1/2" drill bit set yet, but I'm willing to spend up for assurance rather than roll dice.

But no more Merrells for me.  I swear they put mine together with Elmers.  

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 08:22:24 AM »
I have had good luck with Bates [price/comfort/durability] standing on concrete all day and welding you find out quick how good your boots are.

Saw lots of good reviews for the Bates too.

Also met a man with a Miller mig at a garage sale who didn't know what it was ('Dad's').  I really should have pushed him to sell me his 'chinesey weldy thingy' for $50.  ;D  But I was too nice to shaft him out of it, so I still don't fucking own one.

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 08:42:43 AM »
Miller makes some good stuff, we have a big 3 phase mig at the shop that has been working fine for 10 years.
I bought a lincoln a/c buzz box for $50 from someone that couldn`t figure out how to use it.  :D

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 08:55:31 AM »

Just for walking around the house to target calves

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 09:01:25 AM »

you're cool

do you carry a a huge log around on your shoulder too?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 09:26:14 AM »
Miller makes some good stuff, we have a big 3 phase mig at the shop that has been working fine for 10 years.
I bought a lincoln a/c buzz box for $50 from someone that couldn`t figure out how to use it.  :D

I probably couldn't figure out how to use it!  I'm weirdly proud to have reached a level where I'm at least aware of my ignorance tho so I try to find out about shit before I buy it (or sell it).  Probably should have grabbed it since they're about $2k here but I already got the dude for about $1k in drill bits and countersinks for $30.

Still tooling up.  Watched a lot of vids (Jodie @ tips&tricks, I like Keith Fenner lots too) and got a couple lessons from a buddy.  Refused to believe I never miged before!  ;D  Stick needs work.  :(  Tig, well, that's for later.

Figure I'll cruise garage sales and auctions as time permits, and buy a Lincoln new if nothing presents itself.  A Miller as a starter unit is kinda taking things too far.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 09:28:43 AM »
you're cool

do you carry a a huge log around on your shoulder too?

I carried an LVL once.  Felt too much like work for my liking.

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 09:42:14 AM »

Stick needs work.  :( 

If you can get the stick welding right everything else come easy. If you are serious about getting a mig, pay the xtra and buy a good one or you will regret it.