Author Topic: Canadian Qualifications for US Based Competions?  (Read 3034 times)

Brennylee

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
Canadian Qualifications for US Based Competions?
« on: December 27, 2005, 01:48:16 PM »
Hi everyone, Im Brenny, a figure competitor from Canada - new here to website.  I was wondering if someone clear this up for me...

a)  Does a Canadian competitor qualify for the North Americans through a Provincal or a National placement?

b)  Is it true that a Canadian can compete cross-border in the states that border their province, for example, Ontario and New York?

Thanks y'll.  I appreciate any "advices" you have. :)

Happy Holidays!

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
Re: Canadian Qualifications for US Based Competions?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 02:28:10 PM »
I don't know but maybe you can find what you are looking for here:

http://www.cbbf.net/

http://www.bao.on.ca/

EDIT: you can try this canadian figure/fitness forum

http://www.leangirl.com/forum/

Stavios

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 03:40:57 PM »
If you placed top 3 in a provincial show you can do the north american
but for the ontario and new york shit I don't think it is true

Tomanater

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • Eat-Sleep-Train-Grow
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 06:44:53 PM »
Brenny
Hi my wife  competes at the national level in  canada as a figure competitor and has done the NAs and numerous figure shows in the states...We are also both provincial level judges..here is some info for you..
You can do any npc state,regional show you want as long as its not the national level(usa's and nationals).but here is how it works.. you just need to register with the npc....and as far as the north americans you can not qualify through an american or a provincial level show for them.. to qualify for the north americans you have to place in the top 3 at the canadian nationals and you must do the northamericans that same year....
hope this helps
peace Darren
www.DarrenToma.com

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 08:18:27 PM »
There are lots of different organizations besides the IFBB, each with their own rules.   Some local contests require local residency, others do not.  Check with each org or contest promoter.

Regarding the IFBB North American Championships, the Canadian official keeps scheduling the Canadian Nationals on the same day, so it appears that he's trying to discourage Canadian athletes from entering the IFBB North Americans.  You'd probably be better off contacting the promoter of the North Americans directly.

Tuna Sammich

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 08:40:27 PM »
I don't know but maybe you can find what you are looking for here:

http://www.cbbf.net/

http://www.bao.on.ca/

EDIT: you can try this canadian figure/fitness forum

http://www.leangirl.com/forum/

Man..... that was the coolest avatar I've ever seen.

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 09:40:45 PM »

Man..... that was the coolest avatar I've ever seen.

Thanks brother, glad you like it.  :)

Tomanater

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • Eat-Sleep-Train-Grow
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 12:59:02 AM »
There are lots of different organizations besides the IFBB, each with their own rules.   Some local contests require local residency, others do not.  Check with each org or contest promoter.

Regarding the IFBB North American Championships, the Canadian official keeps scheduling the Canadian Nationals on the same day, so it appears that he's trying to discourage Canadian athletes from entering the IFBB North Americans.  You'd probably be better off contacting the promoter of the North Americans directly.
good point..they did do the na's the same weekend as the canadian bodybuilding championships weekend in 05 ..but not the same weekend as the canadian figure championships which is held at a different time....
I must totally agree like timfogarty said checking with the promoters is allways your best bet..
Peace D

Brennylee

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 06:05:33 AM »
Thanks a lot everyone - this has really helped - I am going to contact the promoters directly to see.  I eMailed the CBBF, and haven't heard anything back...

Brenny
Hi my wife  competes at the national level in  canada as a figure competitor and has done the NAs and numerous figure shows in the states...We are also both provincial level judges..here is some info for you..
You can do any npc state,regional show you want as long as its not the national level(usa's and nationals).but here is how it works.. you just need to register with the npc....and as far as the north americans you can not qualify through an american or a provincial level show for them.. to qualify for the north americans you have to place in the top 3 at the canadian nationals and you must do the northamericans that same year....
hope this helps
peace Darren
www.DarrenToma.com

Thanks Darren - this clears lots up for me too.  We checked out your website - impressive.  My other half competed at this years Nationals and we hope to get him to SK in 2006... perhaps we'll see ya there!

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 01:56:07 PM »
if you're going the natural route, consider http://www.naturalmuscle.com

christinafitness

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 04:43:28 PM »
Although the IFBB is based in Canada it favours US Americans. It's a joke that the "North American's" are called that way. The Canadians are at the same day.

buffer

• Getbig II
  • "The family has a lot of buffers."
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 08:05:45 AM »
The Canadian official-in-charge continually schedules the CANADIAN BODYBUILDING NATIONALS on the same date as the NORTH AMERICAN BODYBUILDING AND FIGURE CHAMPIONSHIPS even though he has been made aware of the date of the NORTH AMERICA.

As the promoter of the IFBB NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIPS my goal is obviously to have 350 bodybuilding and figure competitors from the US and Canada competing at the NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIPS in Cleveland. The event has already been proven to be a great event for Canadian figure competitors as Canadian competitors, Jane Awad and Nina Luchka, have won IFBB pro cards in 2004 and 2005! I look forward to the day when the excellent Canadian bodybuilders are strutting their physiques on the NORTH AMERICAN stage! My hope is that one day the Canadian official will permit the Canadian bodybuilders to have that chance at another pro card.

Relative to Canadian competitors qualifying for the 2006 event the Canadian official demands that they qualify only at the Canadian Nationals. US competitors can qualify at any NPC National Qualifier and there are many of them throughout the year. As for placings and when they must qualify we treat the Canadian competitors the same as the US competitors:
Open Figure - Place top 5 in the Canadian Nationals in 2004 or 2005.
Open Women BB - Place top 3 in the Canadian Nationals in 2004 or 2005
Open Men BB - Place top 2 in the Canadian Nationals in 2004 or 2005
Masters Figure and Masters Men - Only need to have competed in a Canadian Provincial event ever. No particular placing is necessary.

At this time IFBB pro cards are awarded to the following athletes:
Open Men - Overall winner
Open Women BB - Overall winner
Open Figure - Top 2 placings in the overall
Masters Men - Overall winner
Masters Figure - Overall winner

The confirmed dates of the IFBB NORTH AMERICAN BODYBUILDING AND FIGURE CHAMPIONSHIPS are as follows:
2006 - September 15/16
2007 - August 31/September 1
2008 - August 29/30

Go to www.garyudit.com for more information or e-mail gudit@earthlink.net

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 09:19:24 PM »
Why has Vince Basile not weighed in on this?  It's been posted since 2005 for cripesakes.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 09:48:43 PM »
Anybody know what Brenny has been up to lately? PIP?

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 10:28:45 PM »
Oldest repliable thread I could find.  Still topical because 240 will need this info if he has to move to Canada when Trump is elected.  Plus Paul Dillett turned pro via the North America.

Chidoman

• Getbig IV
  • Me Like'em All!! #Team Kwon All The Way!!
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 10:34:08 PM »
How Can a Pinche Borracho Be Canadian???!!!... ???

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2016, 09:41:15 AM »
Bumped Canadian thread in honor of Mr. Hockey Gordie Howe.