Author Topic: Green coffee bean extract  (Read 3673 times)

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Green coffee bean extract
« on: October 05, 2013, 10:16:34 AM »
Anyone tried this, some of the science is impressive.

Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes. 2012;5:21-7. doi: 10.2147/DMSO.S27665. Epub 2012 Jan 18.

Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, linear dose, crossover study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of a green coffee bean extract in overweight subjects.

Vinson JA, Burnham BR, Nagendran MV.

Source

Chemistry Department, University of Scranton, Scranton, PA, USA.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Adult weight gain and obesity have become worldwide problems. Issues of cost and potential side effects of prescription weight loss drugs have led overweight and obese adults to try nutraceuticals that may aid weight loss. One promising nutraceutical is green coffee extract, which contains high concentrations of chlorogenic acids that are known to have health benefits and to influence glucose and fat metabolism. A 22-week crossover study was conducted to examine the efficacy and safety of a commercial green coffee extract product GCA™ at reducing weight and body mass in 16 overweight adults.

METHODS:

Subjects received high-dose GCA (1050 mg), low-dose GCA (700 mg), or placebo in separate six-week treatment periods followed by two-week washout periods to reduce any influence of preceding treatment. Treatments were counterbalanced between subjects. Primary measurements were body weight, body mass index, and percent body fat. Heart rate and blood pressure were also measured.

RESULTS:

Significant reductions were observed in body weight (-8.04 ± 2.31 kg), body mass index (-2.92 ± 0.85 kg/m(2)), and percent body fat (-4.44% ± 2.00%), as well as a small decrease in heart rate (-2.56 ± 2.85 beats per minute), but with no significant changes to diet over the course of the study. Importantly, the decreases occurred when subjects were taking GCA. Body mass index for six subjects shifted from preobesity to the normal weight range (<25.00 kg/m(2)).

CONCLUSION:

The results are consistent with human and animal studies and a meta-analysis of the efficacy of green coffee extract in weight loss. The results suggest that GCA may be an effective nutraceutical in reducing weight in preobese adults, and may be an inexpensive means of preventing obesity in overweight adults.

I wonder how the laxative effect will be?

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
Re: Green coffee bean extract
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 01:18:10 PM »
ok now where do I get this stuff  :D

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 04:12:03 PM »
:

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 06:46:28 AM »

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 08:56:32 AM »
Dr. Oz has talked about this before.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/green-coffee-bean-extract-fat-burner-or-fraud-pt-1

It looks like some pretty cool stuff. I think you might be able to get an effective dosage from prunes if you can keep from shating your pants.

seems to be pretty good at reducing serum glucose also. Seems like a healthy weight loss option with no catecholamine action, but direct action on adipocytes.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 05:13:45 AM »
Dr. Oz has talked about this before.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/green-coffee-bean-extract-fat-burner-or-fraud-pt-1

dr oz is an idiot... and i have yet to find a double blind peer reviewed study showing the efficacy of green coffee bean extract at making you lose anything other than money... unfortunately "science" today is all about profit... not about honest research

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2013/01/29/the-great-and-powerful-dr-oz-dissected-in-the-new-yorker/

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 06:02:50 AM »
dr oz is an idiot... and i have yet to find a double blind peer reviewed study showing the efficacy of green coffee bean extract at making you lose anything other than money... unfortunately "science" today is all about profit... not about honest research

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2013/01/29/the-great-and-powerful-dr-oz-dissected-in-the-new-yorker/

Wooo - ever look at studies on wheatgrass, or is more hoo-hoo BS?
Y

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 06:05:35 AM »
June 12, 2013 — A major ingredient in those green coffee bean dietary supplements -- often touted as "miracle" weight-loss products -- doesn't prevent weight gain in obese laboratory mice fed a high-fat diet when given at higher doses. That's the conclusion of a first-of-its-kind study published in ACS' Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. It also linked the ingredient to an unhealthy build-up of fat in the liver.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/06/130612133149.htm
A

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 06:14:40 AM »
Apr. 9, 2013 — Scientists today described evidence that natural substances extracted from unroasted coffee beans can help control the elevated blood sugar levels and body weight that underpin type 2 diabetes. Their presentation on chlorogenic acids ― widely available as a dietary supplement ― was part of the 245th National Meeting & Exposition of the American Chemical Society (ACS), the world's largest scientific society, being held here this week.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/04/130409124741.htm

If this true, any benefits would be on a person by person basis.  If your blood sugar is good you might not gain any benefits from consuming green coffee. 
A

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 07:06:35 AM »

Hey, did you see the opening post, it was exactly what you are looking for, double blind placebo controlled trial with a significant power.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 03:28:41 PM »

I like Dr. Oz.  I don't listen to much of what he says (TMI) but I honestly think he means well.  He also looks good for his age (50 I think).
:

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 06:38:10 PM »
I like Dr. Oz.  I don't listen to much of what he says (TMI) but I honestly think he means well.  He also looks good for his age (50 I think).

surgery... he is a clown and a good example of what is wrong with american and the world today IMNSHO

Hey, did you see the opening post, it was exactly what you are looking for, double blind placebo controlled trial with a significant power.

peer review by competent peers... have you seen the stats lately? only 1/5 studies in academic journals hold water...

Wooo - ever look at studies on wheatgrass, or is more hoo-hoo BS?

it's grass... is it gonna do anything special beyond taste green?/ don't think so

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 04:12:22 PM »
surgery... he is a clown and a good example of what is wrong with american and the world today IMNSHO

He is as he believes in reiki

peer review by competent peers... have you seen the stats lately? only 1/5 studies in academic journals hold water...
Not sure,The journals have power ratings that rate this stuff. I can buy your stat, that;s why journal publication is such a big deal, stringent publications are the holy grail and quite the academic boost

it's grass... is it gonna do anything special beyond taste green?/ don't think so
I know some grasses that have some "special" effects.

I can buy it's benefits. I am taking It now, I will report what I find, but I am about as organized as a tornado so....

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 04:23:50 PM »
I can buy it's benefits. I am taking It now, I will report what I find, but I am about as organized as a tornado so....

i bet you have already lost weight... in the wallet...  :)

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 08:30:20 AM »

i bet you have already lost weight... in the wallet...  :)

Ya most likely, I am not sure fit people (I am in shape, nothing special) are the same as morbidly obese people. You could have them eat five apples a day and they would lose weight by substitution.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 10:14:06 AM »
Ya most likely, I am not sure fit people (I am in shape, nothing special) are the same as morbidly obese people. You could have them eat five apples a day and they would lose weight by substitution.

The Steve Jobs Diet...no joke.  He won't recover.   :-X

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 11:38:03 AM »
The Steve Jobs Diet...no joke.  He won't recover.   :-X

Ya, I think he killed himself, he went fruitaterian, sp? and that's a bad diet for so many reasons, but pancreatic cancer and excessive fructose is retarded. He even had a curable form as the staging was early.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 11:40:03 AM »
Ya, I think he killed himself, he went fruitaterian, sp? and that's a bad diet for so many reasons, but pancreatic cancer and excessive fructose is retarded. He even had a curable form as the staging was early.

A shame.  Wish he was still alive and making things happen.   :(

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 11:43:25 AM »
A shame.  Wish he was still alive and making things happen.   :(

Yup it was a very odd choice by him, like he thought he couldn't die or some shit.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 07:15:38 PM »
Yup it was a very odd choice by him, like he thought he couldn't die or some shit.

just shows that even very smart people can make stupid choices