Author Topic: who here is "unplugged" ?  (Read 7914 times)

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Re: who here is "unplugged" ?
« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2013, 06:35:29 PM »
I am actually unplugging tomorrow....I am so sick and tired of paying for a bunch of nothingness...will watch TV on line and on my phone from now on

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2013, 06:54:17 PM »
media server PC connected to a 60 LCD screen.  10TBs of HD movies.  No cable TV since 2004.  $30/month for 20mb connection.  Company gives me $50/month to cover costs for working remotely.   :D

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2013, 07:45:24 PM »
What about having no TV? :)
Need TV for Redbox night...and Superbowl/NBA finals.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2013, 08:05:50 PM »
i live in hotels so i HAVE cable... but i don't use it. ps3/roku means netflix/amazon/hulu/youtube, so i can see everything i give a shit about. hell i don't actually watch it much anyway, it just rolls in the background while i work.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2013, 08:08:40 PM »
i live in hotels so i HAVE cable... but i don't use it. ps3/roku means netflix/amazon/hulu/youtube, so i can see everything i give a shit about. hell i don't actually watch it much anyway, it just rolls in the background while i work.
live in hotels? How the hell does that work?

only people ive ever known that lived out of hotels were guys dealing coke/meth/heroin/anal sex

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2013, 08:23:11 PM »

only people ive ever known that lived out of hotels were guys dealing coke/meth/heroin/anal sex
Magoo is legit...got a legit gig...

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2013, 08:43:49 PM »

independent contract work my friend. get shot all over the place, corporations pay travel and expenses. since you're never in any one city particularly long it means living in a hotel, which is reimbursed. my marriott/chase points are OUTRAGEOUS.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2013, 08:48:44 PM »
currently watching the wikileaks movie... pretty good... oh and i am sucking down some jamesons... eh

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2013, 08:49:38 PM »
currently watching the wikileaks movie... pretty good... oh and i am sucking down some jamesons... eh
5th Estate? Is that even in theaters yet?

Looks like it has Benedict Cumberbatch in it... never heard of him until Start Trek II... Dude can fucking ACT.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2013, 08:50:50 PM »
5th Estate? Is that even in theaters yet?

Looks like it has Benedict Cumberbatch in it... never heard of him until Start Trek II... Dude can fucking ACT.

watching: We Steal Secrets the Story of Wikileaks

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2013, 09:01:35 PM »
I lined 4 tvs up once in the back yard and shot them with my 12 gauge sawed off shotgun.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2013, 09:03:03 PM »
I lined 4 tvs up once in the back yard and shot them with my 12 gauges sawed off shotgun.

fun?

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2013, 09:10:09 PM »
fun?
Yes I felt like I was killing people I hated but not really doing it in real life.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2013, 09:14:49 PM »
Yes I felt like I was killing people I hated but not really doing it in real life.

nice hobby for sure

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #114 on: October 14, 2013, 10:03:33 PM »
What about having no TV? :)

I don't own a T.V

But I have a shitload of laptops and desktops ~

I repair them so I basically get them for nothing. People will throw away a perfectly good HP that may only need a little soldering, a video card or whatever. Never an expensive fix. Not even replacing a hard drive.

Helps to know about computers. If you like PC's over Macs it makes a world of difference.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2013, 10:12:43 PM »

I don't own a T.V

But I have a shitload of laptops and desktops ~

I repair them so I basically get them for nothing. People will throw away a perfectly good HP that may only need a little soldering, a video card or whatever. Never an expensive fix. Not even replacing a hard drive.

Helps to know about computers. If you like PC's over Macs it makes a world of difference.
laptops have such a fucking high obsolescence rate though... hell, a 1000 buck laptop 2 years ago is barely worth replacing a video card in anymore, as you said people just junk them. I picked up a nice HP from an old coworker and went to replace the video card and resell it, wasnt even worth the price of the card alone. I junked it rather than trying to flip it.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2013, 10:20:26 PM »
Smart tv is really just a tv with a pc.

This is true. The future of home entertainment is going to be internet streaming and not cable. Mark my words. Smart TV's are just televisions with Internet capabilities, like you said.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2013, 10:27:27 PM »
HGTV

Outed...

'This Old House' and 'The New Yankee Workshop' are the only acceptable heterosexual home improvement shows. 'The Woodwright's Shop' is boarder line queer.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2013, 11:00:19 PM »
Outed...

'This Old House' and 'The New Yankee Workshop' are the only acceptable heterosexual home improvement shows. 'The Woodwright's Shop' is boarder line queer.

So everything boils down to what is queer and what is not? For the record, I watch 'This Old House' on a regular basis and there are those on Getbig who take great relish in calling me a fag. I also enjoy, 'Ask This Old House'.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2013, 11:24:21 PM »
So everything boils down to what is queer and what is not? For the record, I watch 'This Old House' on a regular basis and there are those on Getbig who take great relish in calling me a fag. I also enjoy, 'Ask This Old House'.

I'm just an immature prick, relax uncle prime.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2013, 11:39:49 PM »
Ok, Prime test your knowledge. What was that PBS show from the 80s-possible early 90s that featured a ship that was a floating lab for kids? It was like a reality show of sorts and it had an adult captain, yet there were teens who conducted experiments of some type and were the crew.

*Edit, I found it. It was called The Voyage of The Mimi

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #121 on: October 15, 2013, 06:40:23 AM »
laptops have such a fucking high obsolescence rate though... hell, a 1000 buck laptop 2 years ago is barely worth replacing a video card in anymore, as you said people just junk them. I picked up a nice HP from an old coworker and went to replace the video card and resell it, wasnt even worth the price of the card alone. I junked it rather than trying to flip it.

I guess it all depends on how old the thing is. I have replaced many HP video cards for less than $50 bucks with a little added heat sync protection. Usually good to go for another 7 years. I started this in 2000.

Anything older than that could be the suck.

If I can't upgrade, then yeah, trash it is. I'm a huge fan of 7. Not so much of Vista. XP pretty much ain't worth wasting my time even though I love the program. If it's still fixable (broken connection or something stupid like that) I'll keep it.

I'm not really trying to make money flipping these things, I just love having them.

Built my own Desktop strictly for video editing. It's a frickin' powerhouse. Heats up the whole room when clips are rendering. I use Adobe Premier Elements 8 and it sucks A LOT of power! This thing cost me about 4 bills to put together. If I wanted to buy one at Best Buy of equivalent size and power, I woulda paid almost 3 K ~

It all depends. If you have a Desktop PC that is old as hell, I'll still take it just for parts. Other than that most of it will indeed be obsolete. No high speed USB ports, obsolete hard drives, software, the power of a broken Honda...

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: October 15, 2013, 08:14:23 AM »

depends on what you do with it. if you're rendering video or playing games then you need a device with quick turnaround. frankly the only reason i replace mine any more is because i just keep breaking the fucking things. for someone whose primary use for a computer is work, communication, and watching movies or listening to music, a laptop from FIVE years ago would still suffice.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: October 15, 2013, 01:59:05 PM »
:o
BDB goes in after some wide grip upright rows to hit romboids then goes in raw and leaves a 6am the job is finished.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: October 15, 2013, 02:02:32 PM »
I'm just an immature prick, relax uncle prime.

I wasn't taking anything personally, mind you. I was just making an observation about how everything seems divided into two categories on Getbig; those being what's gay and what's not. I actually find it amusing. It also reminds me of when I was in grade school and kids would do this over the dumbest stuff, like what people wore with what, etc.