Author Topic: Who here is unemployed?  (Read 8004 times)

Wolfox

• Getbig V
Who here is unemployed?
« on: October 15, 2013, 09:12:13 PM »
Besides Wiggs and me, who else here is unemployed?

I just started looking for a job today. I'm hoping the holidays will at least open up some seasonal work for me.

Wish me luck.
A

Wolfox

• Getbig V
Re: Who here is unemployed?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 09:16:06 PM »
I was shooting the shit with some dude at the gym the other day. We get to talking and he asks me what I do for a living... I tell him I'm currently unemployed. *Silence and odd look* His reaction was akin to me telling him I have AIDS.

A

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 09:19:46 PM »
get all the freebies you can!

I quit my job so I don't qualify for food stamps.

Don't want freebies anyway. I just want a job!
A

Danjo

• Getbig IV
  • If you're coming on...then come on!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 09:22:21 PM »
I'm never gonna work another day in my life
The gods told me to relax
They said I'm gonna be fixed up right
I'm never gonna work another day in my life
I'm way too busy powertripping
But I'm gonna she'd you some light..   8)
H

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 09:23:33 PM »
Besides Wiggs and me, who else here is unemployed?

I just started looking for a job today. I'm hoping the holidays will at least open up some seasonal work for me.

Wish me luck.

-Me. To be honest, if I wanted to work, I've had more than a couple of good offers since I retired. There are days when I think I should work, at least part time, just to stave off boredom. But then the thought of getting up early and driving somewhere for work is so unappealing. I know, folks should be so lucky as to have these options. I am a lucky guy. My retirement plans worked out.

Honestly, I feel for any of you who are out work and need a job; it sucks! My son-in-law may soon be looking for work. I hope he finds work easily for a couple of reasons, he and my daughter will need the income and if he doesn't find work, they will have to move in with my wife and me. I love them, but I really don't want them to live with us despite that our home is huge and can easily accommodate them.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 09:29:50 PM »
I was shooting the shit with some dude at the gym the other day. We get to talking and he asks me what I do for a living... I tell him I'm currently unemployed. *Silence and odd look* His reaction was akin to me telling him I have AIDS.

You don't have AIDS; you are just unemployed. It apparently was an awkward moment for him and he was being a bit of a jerk. But I think I know where he might have been coming from. I've had this experience and since I don't own a company and am not a likely employer, it is hard to know what to say to someone who is unemployed (with the assumption that they need to work) without seeming condescending. Most people can relate to this if only historically. Being unemployed is never fun unless you are royalty of the child of very wealthy and generous parents.

MichaelScottDM

• Getbig III
  • I did save a life today! My own!
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 09:34:14 PM »
Currently out of work at the moment. Shitty feeling when meeting new people and either lying about working or that strange look they give you when you tell them you "aren't working".

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 09:34:49 PM »

Honestly, I feel for any of you who are out work and need a job; it sucks! My son-in-law may soon be looking for work. I hope he finds work easily for a couple of reasons, he and my daughter will need the income and if he doesn't find work, they will have to move in with my wife and me. I love them, but I really don't want them to live with us despite that our home is huge and can easily accommodate them.

It might be for the best.
A

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 09:36:04 PM »
Currently out of work at the moment. Shitty feeling when meeting new people and either lying about working or that strange look they give you when you tell them you "aren't working".

Yup. Confidence with the chicks is zero for me. Not even thinking about pussy. Too ashamed.
A

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 09:42:26 PM »
One of the many negs about being unemployed is it's hard dieting! Seriously, I'm making good strength gains in the gym but my diet is bad. Having so much time on my hands it's hard not to think about food... so I go, pig out on cheap $5 little casears pizzas to hit them dopamine receptors. Feels good for a minute then it's back to  :-\
A

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 09:50:42 PM »
Yup. Confidence with the chicks is zero for me. Not even thinking about pussy. Too ashamed.

That's the American way....we are our work, which is utter nonsense. Don't believe it. Find a chick who will foot the bill for dates until you get back on your feet and you will have found a gem.

When my wife and I were dating, I didn't own a car. We went out in her VW Bug on dates. I did have a job, but it paid shit wages. If you find a woman who loves and believes in you when you seem to be going nowhere you will be doing a lot better than the dudes with dates who only want them for their money. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 09:51:47 PM »
One of the many negs about being unemployed is it's hard dieting! Seriously, I'm making good strength gains in the gym but my diet is bad. Having so much time on my hands it's hard not to think about food... so I go, pig out on cheap $5 little casears pizzas to hit them dopamine receptors. Feels good for a minute then it's back to  :-\

I can see where this would be problem. Eating well, cost money.

MichaelScottDM

• Getbig III
  • I did save a life today! My own!
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 10:04:50 PM »

Luckily I have a great girl who loves me working or not. She knows that it isn't a choice so she does whatever she can to be supportive.

As for the food aspect, I have learned how to shop on a budget. By going to the gym in the morning it keeps me from drinking the night before. Make sure you keep yourself structured and constantly doing something. I'll go out and water the trees, walk the dog, clean the house, etc.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 10:14:17 PM »
Luckily I have a great girl who loves me working or not. She knows that it isn't a choice so she does whatever she can to be supportive.

As for the food aspect, I have learned how to shop on a budget. By going to the gym in the morning it keeps me from drinking the night before. Make sure you keep yourself structured and constantly doing something. I'll go out and water the trees, walk the dog, clean the house, etc.

Good choices you're making. Drinking would only compound the negative aspects of being unemployed.

I sometimes drink too much scotch. I think it is boredom and habit. Maybe I should look into your idea of getting up early and hitting the gym first thing.

Since I retired, I have been sleeping in later and later in the day. Granted, I don't need to get up early and my wife sleeps late too, but sometimes I feel guilty about sleeping so late. This morning, I set my alarm for 8:00 a.m. because I had a breakfast meeting at 10:00 a.m. I ended up shutting off the alarm and sleeping until almost 9:00 a.m. I went to the gym at 3:00 p.m. which seems to be an optimum time for me. There have been mornings/afternoons when neither my wife nor I get out of bed before noon. If we'd been out partying the night before, this would make sense, but we often are in bed before midnight. 

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 12:13:47 AM »
Good choices you're making. Drinking would only compound the negative aspects of being unemployed.

I sometimes drink too much scotch. I think it is boredom and habit. Maybe I should look into your idea of getting up early and hitting the gym first thing.

Since I retired, I have been sleeping in later and later in the day. Granted, I don't need to get up early and my wife sleeps late too, but sometimes I feel guilty about sleeping so late. This morning, I set my alarm for 8:00 a.m. because I had a breakfast meeting at 10:00 a.m. I ended up shutting off the alarm and sleeping until almost 9:00 a.m. I went to the gym at 3:00 p.m. which seems to be an optimum time for me. There have been mornings/afternoons when neither my wife nor I get out of bed before noon. If we'd been out partying the night before, this would make sense, but we often are in bed before midnight. 

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 12:20:22 AM »
I quit my job so I don't qualify for food stamps.

Don't want freebies anyway. I just want a job!

Why didn't you find another job before quitting? Call in sick and go for interviews. Land the job and then tell your current job to go fucks themselves. Saying you want a job, but having quit your previous one without solidifying something else, isn't you really wanting to work. Let's call a spade a spade brother.

Dr Kincaid

• Getbig III
  • Ice machine broken
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 12:21:40 AM »
Say your Obama's American Dream.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 12:28:03 AM »
Creepymuscle never passes an opportunity to give excruciating details on his life.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 12:32:28 AM »
No wonder you are such a bitter individual.

List your qualifications, or what you would like to do at least.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 12:35:14 AM »
Why didn't you find another job before quitting? Call in sick and go for interviews. Land the job and then tell your current job to go fucks themselves. Saying you want a job, but having quit your previous one without solidifying something else, isn't you really wanting to work. Let's call a spade a spade brother.

I was having a lot of problems at work. There was really nothing I could do to fix the situation because the main issue was politicking between different managers that hated each other and I got caught in the middle of it. With the long hours, little pay and constantly being called in to work last minute - I got burnt out. I needed some time off from working to reevaluating things. I quit spur of the moment. Not ideal, but necessary if you were in my mental state at the time. It was either quit or meltdown at work.  

Most people don't want to actually "work"... and I'm one of them. I want to work simply for the money.

A

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 01:01:09 AM »
That's the American way....we are our work, which is utter nonsense. Don't believe it. Find a chick who will foot the bill for dates until you get back on your feet and you will have found a gem.

When my wife and I were dating, I didn't own a car. We went out in her VW Bug on dates. I did have a job, but it paid shit wages. If you find a woman who loves and believes in you when you seem to be going nowhere you will be doing a lot better than the dudes with dates who only want them for their money. 
quality advice here. So true

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 01:02:37 AM »

Maybe just tell people you have AIDS, might be less awkward.
V

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 02:01:04 AM »

Words of wisdom. I know for a fact my wife didn't marry me for my money or ambition. That all started years later. :)

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 03:00:04 AM »

My partners daughter, who is 19 now has her own job and her own car and until recently she lived at home with us.  She is attractive and has a pleasing personality.  She had a lot of interest from boys over the years, but last year she met a man in his mid twenties who was long term homeless, hadn't worked in years, has no possessions and no car, he doesn't even have a license.  We allowed him to stay two nights a week for her sake, but didn't want to make it easy for him to remain homeless and unemployed.  We tried to subtly steer her away from him, but she was really into him. 

Anyway, we kept pushing her to encourage him to find somewhere to live and get a job. Long story short, eventually he got a job at KFC, even though he takes a lot of days off and he found some share accommodation, essentially a room to rent, and it wasn't long after, she moved in with him.  She still pays for most everything and drives him to work and back most days when her own work hours allow.  He spends his spare time boozing and hanging out with his mates, she drives him everywhere and even pays for them to go out for dinner.  She takes pride in the fact she helped him go from a depressed homeless bum to being employed and having somewhere to live.  He still lacks basic ambitions, like getting a license (even though I have offered to teach him and use my nice modern car) and I worry that if she stops driving him to and from work he would soon quit, as he already takes a lot of time off.  I hope I am wrong and I am just forgetting the trials of young adulthood and they will turn out just like any other regular couple, but I can't help thinking when the honeymoon is over it will all unravel.
V

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 04:20:15 AM »

Sage advice, old timer.  My wife still makes more than I do on average (it varies year to year)and I'm not the least bit bothered by that fact.  We've been together through thick and thin. She loved me when I was I was making little money and she still loves me today.
A