Author Topic: Pentagon admits Christian ministry not a 'hate group'  (Read 3240 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Pentagon admits Christian ministry not a 'hate group'
« on: October 16, 2013, 10:22:04 AM »
Paranoid anti-religious extremists strike again.

Pentagon admits Christian ministry not a 'hate group,' says label does not reflect official doctrine
By Todd StarnesTodd's American Dispatch
Published October 15, 2013
FoxNews.com

The Pentagon has admitted that information used in an Army briefing that labeled the American Family Association (AFA) as a domestic hate group was not acquired from official sources and does not reflect Army doctrine.

Meanwhile, the president of the well-respected Christian ministry says his organization may file a defamation lawsuit against the military.

“We are probably going to be taking legal action,” said Tim Wildmon, president of one of the nation’s most prominent Christian ministries. “The Army has smeared us. They’ve defamed the American Family Association.”

The president of the well-respected Christian ministry says his organization may file a defamation lawsuit against the military.
The AFA was listed alongside domestic hate groups like the Ku Klux Klan, Neo-Nazis, the Black Panthers and the Nation of Islam during a briefing last week at Camp Shelby in Mississippi.

A soldier who attended the briefing recently sent me a photograph of a slideshow presentation that listed AFA as a domestic hate group because of their support of traditional family values and their opposition to homosexuality.

George Wright, an Army spokesman at the Pentagon, tells me the slide was not produced by the Army and it does not reflect their policy or doctrine.

“It was produced by a soldier conducting a briefing which included info acquired from an Internet search,” Wright said. “Info was not pulled from official Army sources, nor was it approved by senior Army leaders, senior equal opportunity counselors or judge-advocate personnel.”

Wright said the briefing has been updated and any references to American Family Association have been removed.

“The soldier, after being challenged on the information, recognized that the information was incorrect,” he said. “Soldiers who attended the briefing will be notified that the information regarding AFA was incorrect.”

Wildmon said he doesn’t believe the Army’s excuse.

“We’re hearing from too many people across the country who’ve witnessed these training sessions,” he said. “We know this is going on in the Army and the Air Force.”

Hiram Sasser, director of litigation for Liberty Institute, is representing the AFA. He said it’s a case of “fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.”

“The Army is going to have to fess up,” he said. “For them to keep saying there are just a bunch of rogue instructors out there is either evidence they have a massive disciplinary problem or they are full of baloney.”

It’s not the first time the Army has accused conservative Christian groups of being domestic hate groups.

Earlier this year, I exposed Army briefings that classified evangelical Christians and Catholics as examples of religious extremism.

“Here you have a Christian ministry trying to do good work and you have the Department of Defense going around smearing your name and trying to turn people against you – spreading false statements about you,” Sasser told me. “It’s just awful what’s going on.”

The soldier who contacted me said he was “completely taken back by this blatant attack not only on the AFA but Christians and our beliefs.”

During the briefing soldiers were reportedly told that they could face punishment for participating in organizations that are considered hate groups.

The soldier said he became alarmed because he is a financial contributor to the AFA ministry.

“I donate to AFA as often as I can,” he said. “Am I going to be punished? I listen to American Family Radio all day. If they hear it on my radio, will I be faced with a Uniformed Code of Military Justice charge?”

It turned out his fears of retribution and reprisals were not unfounded. I received word that the military launched an investigation after my column was published. Officers are in the process of trying to identify the soldier who spoke to me.

“There’s one thing I can guarantee,” Sasser said. “If you speak out about this administration’s push against religious liberty and against people of faith, you will suffer retaliation.”

Wildmon said they’ve tried to reach out to the military – but so far their telephone calls have been ignored.

“We’ve had no chance to defend ourselves or get an explanation from the military on how they came up with the criteria,” he said.

The AFA suspects the military is using material supplied by the left-leaning Southern Poverty Law Center – an organization with a dubious past.

“For a taxpayer-funded organization like the military to use a politically-motivated group’s hate group list is problematic,” Wildmon said. “One way or another, we’re going to get this changed.”
And he strongly rejects accusations that AFA is a hate group.

“We are a mainstream, evangelical, pro-family group,” he said. “We don’t hate anybody. We have strong feelings on moral values. We oppose the gay and lesbian social and political agenda. We always have. We always will, but that doesn’t mean we hate anyone.”

Sasser said he hopes the investigation answers a pressing question.

“Is this a widespread policy to smear groups like the American Family Association or does the Army have a massive discipline problem with a bunch of rogue commanders doing what they want?” he asked.

Would anybody at the Pentagon care to answer that question?

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/10/15/pentagon-admits-christian-ministry-not-hate-group-says-label-does-not-reflect/?intcmp=latestnews

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Pentagon admits Christian ministry not a 'hate group'
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 10:28:40 AM »
yeah, no hate here, just good old family values

The AFA has declared that "homosexuality gave us Adolph Hitler ... the Nazi war machine and six million dead Jews," suggested that gay sex be punished like heroin use, and said that the "homosexual agenda" endangers "every fundamental right" in the Constitution, including religious freedom. Both [the AFA and the Family Research Council] have enthusiastically promoted "reparative therapy," which claims against the bulk of the evidence that it can "cure" gay men and lesbians and make them heterosexual, but in fact has left a string of people behind who were badly hurt by the process.

Bryan Fischer, the American Family Association's unofficial spokesman and the group's director of issues analysis, has previously called on the government to prohibit mosques from being built anywhere in the United States, suggested "the most compassionate thing" America can do is deport all Muslims, and wrote that "gay sex is a form of domestic terrorism."

The American Family Association has also enthusiastically endorsed Russian President Vladimir Putin's draconian anti-gay laws, with Fischer stating that the country isn't being homophobic but "homorealistic

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 11:24:18 AM »
Paranoid anti-religious extremists strike again.

Pentagon admits Christian ministry not a 'hate group,' says label does not reflect official doctrine
By Todd StarnesTodd's American Dispatch
Published October 15, 2013
FoxNews.com

The Pentagon has admitted that information used in an Army briefing that labeled the American Family Association (AFA) as a domestic hate group was not acquired from official sources and does not reflect Army doctrine.

Meanwhile, the president of the well-respected Christian ministry says his organization may file a defamation lawsuit against the military.

“We are probably going to be taking legal action,” said Tim Wildmon, president of one of the nation’s most prominent Christian ministries. “The Army has smeared us. They’ve defamed the American Family Association.”

The president of the well-respected Christian ministry says his organization may file a defamation lawsuit against the military.
The AFA was listed alongside domestic hate groups like the Ku Klux Klan, Neo-Nazis, the Black Panthers and the Nation of Islam during a briefing last week at Camp Shelby in Mississippi.

A soldier who attended the briefing recently sent me a photograph of a slideshow presentation that listed AFA as a domestic hate group because of their support of traditional family values and their opposition to homosexuality.

George Wright, an Army spokesman at the Pentagon, tells me the slide was not produced by the Army and it does not reflect their policy or doctrine.

“It was produced by a soldier conducting a briefing which included info acquired from an Internet search,” Wright said. “Info was not pulled from official Army sources, nor was it approved by senior Army leaders, senior equal opportunity counselors or judge-advocate personnel.”

Wright said the briefing has been updated and any references to American Family Association have been removed.

“The soldier, after being challenged on the information, recognized that the information was incorrect,” he said. “Soldiers who attended the briefing will be notified that the information regarding AFA was incorrect.”

Wildmon said he doesn’t believe the Army’s excuse.

“We’re hearing from too many people across the country who’ve witnessed these training sessions,” he said. “We know this is going on in the Army and the Air Force.”

Hiram Sasser, director of litigation for Liberty Institute, is representing the AFA. He said it’s a case of “fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.”

“The Army is going to have to fess up,” he said. “For them to keep saying there are just a bunch of rogue instructors out there is either evidence they have a massive disciplinary problem or they are full of baloney.”

It’s not the first time the Army has accused conservative Christian groups of being domestic hate groups.

Earlier this year, I exposed Army briefings that classified evangelical Christians and Catholics as examples of religious extremism.

“Here you have a Christian ministry trying to do good work and you have the Department of Defense going around smearing your name and trying to turn people against you – spreading false statements about you,” Sasser told me. “It’s just awful what’s going on.”

The soldier who contacted me said he was “completely taken back by this blatant attack not only on the AFA but Christians and our beliefs.”

During the briefing soldiers were reportedly told that they could face punishment for participating in organizations that are considered hate groups.

The soldier said he became alarmed because he is a financial contributor to the AFA ministry.

“I donate to AFA as often as I can,” he said. “Am I going to be punished? I listen to American Family Radio all day. If they hear it on my radio, will I be faced with a Uniformed Code of Military Justice charge?”

It turned out his fears of retribution and reprisals were not unfounded. I received word that the military launched an investigation after my column was published. Officers are in the process of trying to identify the soldier who spoke to me.

“There’s one thing I can guarantee,” Sasser said. “If you speak out about this administration’s push against religious liberty and against people of faith, you will suffer retaliation.”

Wildmon said they’ve tried to reach out to the military – but so far their telephone calls have been ignored.

“We’ve had no chance to defend ourselves or get an explanation from the military on how they came up with the criteria,” he said.

The AFA suspects the military is using material supplied by the left-leaning Southern Poverty Law Center – an organization with a dubious past.

“For a taxpayer-funded organization like the military to use a politically-motivated group’s hate group list is problematic,” Wildmon said. “One way or another, we’re going to get this changed.”
And he strongly rejects accusations that AFA is a hate group.

“We are a mainstream, evangelical, pro-family group,” he said. “We don’t hate anybody. We have strong feelings on moral values. We oppose the gay and lesbian social and political agenda. We always have. We always will, but that doesn’t mean we hate anyone.”

Sasser said he hopes the investigation answers a pressing question.

“Is this a widespread policy to smear groups like the American Family Association or does the Army have a massive discipline problem with a bunch of rogue commanders doing what they want?” he asked.

Would anybody at the Pentagon care to answer that question?

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/10/15/pentagon-admits-christian-ministry-not-hate-group-says-label-does-not-reflect/?intcmp=latestnews

The American Family Association is a hate group.
A

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 12:33:49 PM »

The American Family Association is a hate group.

No it isn't. 

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 02:35:45 PM »
No it isn't. 

They hate gays dont they?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 02:36:44 PM »

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 03:29:49 PM »
The AFA has declared that "homosexuality gave us Adolph Hitler ... the Nazi war machine and six million dead Jews," suggested that gay sex be punished like heroin use, and said that the "homosexual agenda" endangers "every fundamental right" in the Constitution, including religious freedom. Both [the AFA and the Family Research Council] have enthusiastically promoted "reparative therapy," which claims against the bulk of the evidence that it can "cure" gay men and lesbians and make them heterosexual, but in fact has left a string of people behind who were badly hurt by the process.

Bryan Fischer, the American Family Association's unofficial spokesman and the group's director of issues analysis, has previously called on the government to prohibit mosques from being built anywhere in the United States, suggested "the most compassionate thing" America can do is deport all Muslims, and wrote that "gay sex is a form of domestic terrorism."

The American Family Association has also enthusiastically endorsed Russian President Vladimir Putin's draconian anti-gay laws, with Fischer stating that the country isn't being homophobic but "homorealistic.

Sounds pretty hateful to me.

Link?

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 03:32:16 PM »

The American Family Association has also enthusiastically endorsed Russian President Vladimir Putin's draconian anti-gay laws, with Fischer stating that the country isn't being homophobic but "homorealistic.

Sounds pretty hateful to me.

Link?

And that's what makes them a hate group....among a number of members and staff having ties to the Neo-Nazi and other white supremicist groups
A

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 03:49:31 PM »
Here is some more "non-hate" straight for the horses ass

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 03:52:14 PM »
Fear leads to hate.   Geez this guy is bent.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 03:53:03 PM »
Irinic the pentagon deciding what a hate group is lol

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 03:56:44 PM »

Pentagon didn't decide that

a soldier was giving a presentation and included in that was a mention of this group which has been called a "hate group" by others

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 03:58:13 PM »

Typical Paranoid anti-religious extremists

Can't you see that this guy is filled with the holy spirit and the compassion of jesus

He just loves jesus so much that it comes out sounding like hate to paranoid anti-religious extremists such as yourself

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 04:01:13 PM »

The Pentagon did the right thing.  Some poor sap pulled garbage he got off the internet and put in a Power Point slide.  Actually placed the AFA next to comments by those nuts from the Westboro Baptist "Church." 

How the heck did we get our information before the internet??   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 04:05:34 PM »
The Pentagon did the right thing.  Some poor sap pulled garbage he got off the internet and put in a Power Point slide.  Actually placed the AFA next to comments by those nuts from the Westboro Baptist "Church." 

How the heck did we get our information before the internet??   

LOL the only difference is that the AFA is not out protesting funerals of dead soldiers

Instead they are doing shit like this:

from Wiki:

On April 16, 2007, following the Virginia Tech Massacre, the AFA released a video titled The Day They Kicked God out of the Schools, in which God tells a student that students were killed in schools because God isn't allowed in schools anymore. The video claims that the shootings at Virginia Tech and Columbine, among others, are in part the result of: decreased discipline in schools; no prayer in schools; sex out of wedlock; rampant violence in TV, movies, and music; or abortions.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 04:12:56 PM »

you can also say that stupidity/ignorance leads to fear which leads to hate

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 04:18:40 PM »
If disapproving of homosexuals makes a hate group then most Christian churches and every mosque in the United States is considered a hate group.
A

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 04:20:55 PM »
If disapproving of homosexuals makes a hate group then most Christian churches and every mosque in the United States is considered a hate group.

you'd be correct if every mosque in the country were making videos like the one posted above

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 04:21:44 PM »

There are different degrees of disapproving.  

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 04:25:42 PM »
you'd be correct if every mosque in the country were making videos like the one posted above

They don't have to make videos becauses it's written in their holy books for all to see.

Advocating for violence is one thing and stating your belief is another.  The former infringes on another persons rights while the latter does not.  I'm an atheist anyway.
A

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 04:26:30 PM »

yep, muslim countries often execute homosexuals where our religious nuts just wish they could execute homosexuals

The nutbags at AFA don't represent christians as a whole just like those idiots at Westborough Church don't represent christians

They all only represent themselves and it's pretty easy to see why the views of the AFA can be considered by some to be a "hate group"  

I have heard recently that many American evangelical groups are heavily involved in the violent anti-gay movement among their fellow christians in Uganda

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 04:26:54 PM »

Exactly.  But that is precisely where we are headed.  In fact, we're probably already there.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 04:28:10 PM »
They don't have to make videos becauses it's written in their holy books for all to see.

Advocating for violence is one thing and stating your belief is another.  The former infringes on another persons rights while the latter does not.  I'm an atheist anyway.

as I'm sure you well know, not every Muslim interprets the Koran the same way just like not every christian interprets the bible the same way

a particular lazy beach loving person will tell you that anyone who doesn't interpret the bible the way that he does are not "real" christians