Author Topic: Bobby Jindal forms group to win ‘war of ideas’  (Read 1046 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Bobby Jindal forms group to win ‘war of ideas’
« on: October 17, 2013, 01:00:25 PM »
First step towards 2016 run?

By JAMES HOHMANN | 10/16/13

Bobby Jindal will announce Thursday that he is creating a policy-focused nonprofit to help Republicans shed their image as “the party of no.”

The Louisiana governor wants “America Next” to produce detailed proposals for how conservatives would improve health care, education and energy policy if they were in charge again.

As he seriously considers a run for president in 2016, the 501(c)(4) could help Jindal bolster his bona fides as one of the party’s intellectual leaders and give him a fresh national platform as his term leading the Republican Governors Association ends next month.

Jindal outlined his vision for “America Next” in an exclusive interview Wednesday. He complained that the GOP has focused excessively on criticizing Barack Obama without saying what it would do instead. Jindal cited Mitt Romney’s failed effort to make the 2012 election a referendum on the president.

The 42-year-old said his group will bring together big thinkers to “play offense in the war of ideas.”

“Saying ‘no’ is not enough,” he told POLITICO. “We’ve got to get beyond the bumper-sticker slogans. We’ve got to get beyond the 30-second attack ads.”

Jindal said Obamacare needs to be repealed, for example, but a replacement needs to ensure people with preexisting conditions get coverage.

“There’s a void, and there’s an opportunity to offer specific conservative ideas on the most important issues of the day,” he said.

His first hire, executive director Jill Neunaber, has experience in the early states. She managed Romney’s Iowa campaign last fall and was deputy manager of his New Hampshire operation during the primary season. She managed Gabriel Gomez’s unsuccessful Senate campaign in Massachusetts this spring.

Jindal confidant Curt Anderson, the veteran GOP strategist who runs On Message Inc., will serve as an adviser for the group.

Those involved stressed that this is not a campaign-in-waiting. They expect to consult with outside experts for short-term projects, including from academia, and to hire perhaps five to seven full-time staffers to help produce serious policy prescriptions.

“I don’t know if I’m going to run for president or not,” Jindal said when asked about 2016.

He quoted former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, who said that you need to win the war of ideas before you can win elections.

Jindal, a former Rhodes Scholar, made a name for himself as a policy wonk. In his 20s, after studying at Oxford, the son of Indian immigrants ran the Louisiana Department of Health and then took over the University of Louisiana system. George W. Bush appointed him in 2001 as assistant secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services. He ran unsuccessfully for governor in 2003 and was elected to the House in 2004 before winning statewide in 2007.

His second term as governor ends at the start of 2016 – around the time of the Iowa caucuses.

Jindal will be replaced as RGA chairman by New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, another potential 2016 contender, at a meeting in November. But Jindal will stay on as vice chairman, and he plans to raise money and travel aggressively to help Republicans up for reelection in 2014.

Jindal said he believes America cannot accept 2 percent economic growth and the “decay in our culture” as a sort of “new normal.” He hopes to branch out beyond the three initial policy focus areas, mentioning his desire to “blow up” the tax code and start fresh.

The governor said “America Next” will not be afraid to take controversial positions that run afoul of GOP orthodoxy.

“Everything needs to be on the table,” said Jindal. “This is not a time to be timid.”

“There will probably be people in both parties who don’t like the specifics, but that’s okay,” he added.

The announcement has been long planned, but Jindal said there’s a helpful contrast between the paralysis in D.C. and the reforms being pursued by 30 Republican governors in the states.

“A rebellion is brewing outside the Washington Beltway,” said Jindal. “The American people know that the policies coming out of Washington are leading us to a dead end.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/bobby-jindal-america-next-98432.html#ixzz2i0kpv8Pq

Gonuclear

• Getbig III
  • It depends on what the meaning of "is" is.
Re: Bobby Jindal forms group to win ‘war of ideas’
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 03:47:20 PM »
Jindal a Rhodes scholar.  Who knew?

A great guy.  He is not participating in the Obamacare expansion of Medicaid, so a lot of poor people in Louisiana will be out of luck. 

But, hey, they are not Jindal's worry anyway.  What's that?  Yeah, he is the governor of a poor state.  Yeah, he should be concerned about all of the citizens in his state.  But he isn't.  Not unusual for a Republican, after all. 

I hope the Republicans run him or Cruz or Santorum in 2016. Hillary will wipe the floor with any of them.

First step towards 2016 run?

By JAMES HOHMANN | 10/16/13

Bobby Jindal will announce Thursday that he is creating a policy-focused nonprofit to help Republicans shed their image as “the party of no.”

The Louisiana governor wants “America Next” to produce detailed proposals for how conservatives would improve health care, education and energy policy if they were in charge again.

As he seriously considers a run for president in 2016, the 501(c)(4) could help Jindal bolster his bona fides as one of the party’s intellectual leaders and give him a fresh national platform as his term leading the Republican Governors Association ends next month.

Jindal outlined his vision for “America Next” in an exclusive interview Wednesday. He complained that the GOP has focused excessively on criticizing Barack Obama without saying what it would do instead. Jindal cited Mitt Romney’s failed effort to make the 2012 election a referendum on the president.

The 42-year-old said his group will bring together big thinkers to “play offense in the war of ideas.”

“Saying ‘no’ is not enough,” he told POLITICO. “We’ve got to get beyond the bumper-sticker slogans. We’ve got to get beyond the 30-second attack ads.”

Jindal said Obamacare needs to be repealed, for example, but a replacement needs to ensure people with preexisting conditions get coverage.

“There’s a void, and there’s an opportunity to offer specific conservative ideas on the most important issues of the day,” he said.

His first hire, executive director Jill Neunaber, has experience in the early states. She managed Romney’s Iowa campaign last fall and was deputy manager of his New Hampshire operation during the primary season. She managed Gabriel Gomez’s unsuccessful Senate campaign in Massachusetts this spring.

Jindal confidant Curt Anderson, the veteran GOP strategist who runs On Message Inc., will serve as an adviser for the group.

Those involved stressed that this is not a campaign-in-waiting. They expect to consult with outside experts for short-term projects, including from academia, and to hire perhaps five to seven full-time staffers to help produce serious policy prescriptions.

“I don’t know if I’m going to run for president or not,” Jindal said when asked about 2016.

He quoted former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, who said that you need to win the war of ideas before you can win elections.

Jindal, a former Rhodes Scholar, made a name for himself as a policy wonk. In his 20s, after studying at Oxford, the son of Indian immigrants ran the Louisiana Department of Health and then took over the University of Louisiana system. George W. Bush appointed him in 2001 as assistant secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services. He ran unsuccessfully for governor in 2003 and was elected to the House in 2004 before winning statewide in 2007.

His second term as governor ends at the start of 2016 – around the time of the Iowa caucuses.

Jindal will be replaced as RGA chairman by New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, another potential 2016 contender, at a meeting in November. But Jindal will stay on as vice chairman, and he plans to raise money and travel aggressively to help Republicans up for reelection in 2014.

Jindal said he believes America cannot accept 2 percent economic growth and the “decay in our culture” as a sort of “new normal.” He hopes to branch out beyond the three initial policy focus areas, mentioning his desire to “blow up” the tax code and start fresh.

The governor said “America Next” will not be afraid to take controversial positions that run afoul of GOP orthodoxy.

“Everything needs to be on the table,” said Jindal. “This is not a time to be timid.”

“There will probably be people in both parties who don’t like the specifics, but that’s okay,” he added.

The announcement has been long planned, but Jindal said there’s a helpful contrast between the paralysis in D.C. and the reforms being pursued by 30 Republican governors in the states.

“A rebellion is brewing outside the Washington Beltway,” said Jindal. “The American people know that the policies coming out of Washington are leading us to a dead end.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/bobby-jindal-america-next-98432.html#ixzz2i0kpv8Pq

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 04:05:36 PM »
But, hey, they are not Jindal's worry anyway.  What's that?  Yeah, he is the governor of a poor state.  Yeah, he should be concerned about all of the citizens in his state.  But he isn't.  Not unusual for a Republican, after all.  

The Governors job it to manage his State government, he isn't responsible for every individual's lot in life. Politicians need to stop neglecting their Constitutional responsibilities and limits because they're overreaching in failed attempts to micromanage our lives and save the world.

Gonuclear

• Getbig III
  • It depends on what the meaning of "is" is.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 08:20:35 PM »
The Governors job it to manage his State government, he isn't responsible for every individual's lot in life. Politicians need to stop neglecting their Constitutional responsibilities and limits because they're overreaching in failed attempts to micromanage our lives and save the world.

It would not cost Louisiana very much to participate, and his poorer citizens (of which he has plenty) would really benefit.

Watch Jindal jump, however, when one of his fat cat inner circle calls him for a favor. Do you think Jindal would respond to that with a lecture on why it is not the governor's job to be "responsible for every individual's lot in life"?  I don't.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 11:50:24 PM »
Jindal is a brilliant dude.  But I don't see him being president.  He may be a paul ryan kinda veep pick, but the way he carries himself, it's just not presidential.  I think he's probably gonna be SMARTER than both the dem and repub that get the nomination.  

He's ten times smarter than Perry, but I'd bet on Perry getting the job lonnnnnnnnng before americans vote Jindal.  

Jindal is running for veep. 

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 04:59:43 AM »

A great guy.  He is not participating in the Obamacare expansion of Medicaid, so a lot of poor people in Louisiana will be out of luck. 

But, hey, they are not Jindal's worry anyway.  What's that?  Yeah, he is the governor of a poor state.  Yeah, he should be concerned about all of the citizens in his state.  But he isn't.  Not unusual for a Republican, after all. 

I hope the Republicans run him or Cruz or Santorum in 2016. Hillary will wipe the floor with any of them.

+1

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 11:53:54 AM »

How has he performed as governor? 

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 01:21:07 PM »
it will be a small group
w

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 01:28:02 PM »

that must be one of those great ideas that he is planning on using to win the "war"

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 01:35:17 PM »
that must be one of those great ideas that he is planning on using to win the "war"

Yep, fools like him and Ron Paul just don't realize how much easier it is if you give people "free" stuff. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 01:36:34 PM »
Yep, fools like him and Ron Paul just don't realize how much easier it is if you give people "free" stuff. 

who is getting "free stuff" again?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 02:04:59 PM »
Jindull doesn't stand a chance.  Though I hope he does run just to see the crash and burn effect.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 03:57:01 PM »
it's the way he looks and acts as well.   Perry can read a lunch menu and he looks like President doing it.

Jindal can read the constitution and just looks like a jumpy, sneaky, caffeinated college kid.  His posture, his walk, the way he speaks - he just doesn't look presidential.  You either got it, or you don't.  Most of us sure don't.  But you KNOW when you see someone that does... Jindal would be a nightmare for republicans.  

And a lot of people soured on him after the whole exorcist thing. ???  I don't know anything about how they work, but I know a prez candidate writing in his book about his conducting one is something that will make some people uneasy.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/05/bobby-jindal-exorcised-his-college-girlfriend

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 04:33:54 PM »
Jindull doesn't stand a chance.  Though I hope he does run just to see the crash and burn effect.

I have no idea how he would fare at this point.  Depends on who else is running. 

Which Republican candidate do you think would have a chance?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 04:53:06 PM »
You could run ANY repub and they could beat Hilary.  Except Jindal.

I don't see how he gets past the exorcism thing.  I just don't.  MAYBE if he looked like John Thune or JFK, i mean, just looked like the president, but people would have to look PAST his looks to elect him in the first place.

Toss in the fact he helped give an exorcism... I mean, that's a HUGE mountain to climb.  Why not give it to equally smart candidates that have more marketable looks, more easily approachable, that won't alienate voters.  Only a fool thinks Romney wins the nomination if he's fat and bald.  Seriously, we can all agree on this right?  Looks matter, we agree, right?

I never understood the GOP wanting the choose the candidate with the MOST baggage because "he could do it!"  Why not choose the candidate with the LEAST baggage?  I mean, RINO Romney signed a gun bill and was pro-abortion.  Those are two pretty big obstacles.  It's like repubs wanted the biggest possible uphill battle in 2012 lol.  Dudes, pick someone without so much baggage, without so many obstacles.  Without baggage like Jindal, honestly.  Cruz or Rand or Bachmann or Perry or probably even Santorum could beat Hilary.  WHY would you choose a young and shaky rubio, a morbidly obese christie, or jindal and his exorcism?  

Just pick the candiddate that can WIN, not the one with the 'biggest obstacles to overcome'

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 05:01:00 PM »
Yes, I'm sure there are a handful of low information voters who would ordinarily have voted for Jindal, who will change their vote based on the "exorcism thing" nobody is talking about (or cares about), but that will not be the reason he does or does not get the nomination or win the presidency if he runs. 

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 06:13:51 PM »

The republican policy of denying people health insurance gives them "free"  health care on the spot and raises prices for those that do pay.

So your argument fails ;)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 06:36:36 PM »
I have no idea how he would fare at this point.  Depends on who else is running. 

Which Republican candidate do you think would have a chance?

None.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 06:48:19 PM »
Yes, I'm sure there are a handful of low information voters who would ordinarily have voted for Jindal, who will change their vote based on the "exorcism thing" nobody is talking about (or cares about), but that will not be the reason he does or does not get the nomination or win the presidency if he runs. 

nobody is talking about it because he's not running for national office.  If he was, I do think it'd be an issue. 

He won't get the nomination because he doesn't look or act presidential, and he doesn't exactly have any kind of national prominence, outside of an awkward response to state of union, 4 years ago.  He's been quiet since.

there are a lot of great possibilities in 2016.  jindal isn't one of them.  he's a 3rd tier pick for VP... at best.  Nothing wrong with that.  He's a kickass choice for his state.  But nationally, hey, there are 304,999,900 people that ARENT right for the job, right?  not so bad.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 06:52:30 PM »
None.

I think Christie would have a decent chance and would have some crossover appeal to some Dems and probably more independents

Problem is that many people in his party hate him solely because he decided to do his job and govern in a time of crisis and cooperate with Obama

He's also not a bible thumper and is not stupid nor insane so obviously no appeal to fundies or teabaggers

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 06:57:00 PM »
nobody is talking about it because he's not running for national office.  If he was, I do think it'd be an issue. 

He won't get the nomination because he doesn't look or act presidential, and he doesn't exactly have any kind of national prominence, outside of an awkward response to state of union, 4 years ago.  He's been quiet since.

there are a lot of great possibilities in 2016.  jindal isn't one of them.  he's a 3rd tier pick for VP... at best.  Nothing wrong with that.  He's a kickass choice for his state.  But nationally, hey, there are 304,999,900 people that ARENT right for the job, right?  not so bad.

Nobody is talking about it because it's dumb.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 06:59:01 AM »
I think Christie would have a decent chance and would have some crossover appeal to some Dems and probably more independents

Problem is that many people in his party hate him solely because he decided to do his job and govern in a time of crisis and cooperate with Obama

He's also not a bible thumper and is not stupid nor insane so obviously no appeal to fundies or teabaggers

But everyone will just cry RINO about him and jump behind the wackiest candidates out there instead.  We saw that with the rise (and fall) of Newt, Cain, Bachmann, Perry, etc.. the last go around.

Obama was the most beatable sitting Prez in history most likely last election and they couldn't unseat him with anyone from their clown car.  What makes you think they have better candidates to trot out this next go around?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 09:34:14 AM »
Obama was the most beatable sitting Prez in history most likely last election

Absolute fact.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 12:46:36 PM »
But everyone will just cry RINO about him and jump behind the wackiest candidates out there instead.  We saw that with the rise (and fall) of Newt, Cain, Bachmann, Perry, etc.. the last go around.

Obama was the most beatable sitting Prez in history most likely last election and they couldn't unseat him with anyone from their clown car.  What makes you think they have better candidates to trot out this next go around?

Absolute bullshit...if obama was an old rich white guy with the same resume then he would certainly have been very beatable.
But Celebrity Obama?? There was no way he was gonna lose and EVERYONE knew it. He isnt just another politician, he was a movement, a cultural phenomenon. Regardless of his politics and failures, the same 'base' that voted for him was still gonna vote for no one but him. Why do you think most of the republican heavy hitters sat that one out?? And the reason he won so big was because he was going against RINOS both times..no wonder you idiots are clamoring for another RINO (christie) to take the nom in 2016. A RINO will never, ever win again.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 02:11:21 PM »
Yeah because a wacked out right wing nutbag is really going to appeal to the moderates, independents, Hispanics and women.  Good idea there.   ::)