Author Topic: Study finds testosterone therapy may reduce risk of cardiovascular disease  (Read 1458 times)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2013-10/bumc-sft102313.php#.UmhN14z_yFk.twitter

Study finds testosterone therapy may reduce risk of cardiovascular disease

(Boston)—Research from Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) suggests that testosterone treatment in hypogonadal (testosterone deficient) men restores normal lipid profiles and may reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. These finding currently appear online in the International Journal of Clinical Practice.

Metabolic syndrome (MetS) is associated with increased risk for cardiovascular disease and diabetes mellitus. There is a strong association between MetS and testosterone deficiency.

Hypogonadal men are more likely to suffer from metabolic syndrome characterized by dyslipidemia, insulin resistance, diabetes and hypertension. Additionally, obese and overweight men also may exhibit testosterone deficiency.

In this observational study, BUSM researchers investigated the effects of testosterone treatment in 255 hypogonadal men between the ages of 33-69 and followed them for a period of five years. They found that men treated with testosterone therapy experienced a gradual reduction of their total cholesterol, low density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL/bad cholesterol), triglycerides and increased high density lipoprotein (HDL/(good cholesterol). "In addition to improving their cholesterol levels, we found that the testosterone treatment resulted in marked reductions in systolic and diastolic blood pressure as well, suggesting amelioration of hypertension," explained lead author Abdulmaged M. Traish, MBA, PhD, professor of biochemistry and urology as well as Research Director of the Institute of Sexual Medicine at BUSM.

Traish found this treatment also reduced fasting blood glucose and hemoglobin A1c, a surrogate marker of hyperglycemia, suggesting that testosterone treatment may improve insulin sensitivity and hyperglycemic control. It also reduced the levels of inflammatory biomarkers such as C-reactive protein (CRP) and markers of liver dysfunction such as alanine aminotransferase and aspartate aminotransferase, suggesting reduction in the inflammation responses.

"These data are congruent with our previous work in which we reported that long-term testosterone resulted in a gradual decline in weight and waist circumference and strongly suggests that testosterone therapy in hypogonadal men may prove useful in reducing the risk of cardiometabolic diseases," he added.

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
Good stuff.

A little curious on the doses given but I will assume something along the lines of 250mg biweekly. Don't go doing 500mg a week thinking you're lowering your risk of a heart attack.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Good stuff.

A little curious on the doses given but I will assume something along the lines of 250mg biweekly. Don't go doing 500mg a week thinking you're lowering your risk of a heart attack.

that'd be an interesting double blind...

Borracho

• Getbig V

that'd be an interesting double blind...

We have many willing test subjects on this board...myself included.  ;D

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Funding source makes a difference...

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/11/108

Testosterone therapy and cardiovascular events among men: a systematic review and meta-analysis of placebo-controlled randomized trials

Abstract
Background
Testosterone therapy is increasingly promoted. No randomized placebo-controlled trial has been implemented to assess the effect of testosterone therapy on cardiovascular events, although very high levels of androgens are thought to promote cardiovascular disease.

Methods
A systematic review and meta-analysis was conducted of placebo-controlled randomized trials of testosterone therapy among men lasting 12+ weeks reporting cardiovascular-related events. We searched PubMed through the end of 2012 using “(“testosterone” or “androgen”) and trial and (“random*”)” with the selection limited to studies of men in English, supplemented by a bibliographic search of the World Health Organization trial registry. Two reviewers independently searched, selected and assessed study quality with differences resolved by consensus. Two statisticians independently abstracted and analyzed data, using random or fixed effects models, as appropriate, with inverse variance weighting.

Results
Of 1,882 studies identified 27 trials were eligible including 2,994, mainly older, men who experienced 180 cardiovascular-related events. Testosterone therapy increased the risk of a cardiovascular-related event (odds ratio (OR) 1.54, 95% confidence interval (CI) 1.09 to 2.18). The effect of testosterone therapy varied with source of funding (P-value for interaction 0.03), but not with baseline testosterone level (P-value for interaction 0.70). In trials not funded by the pharmaceutical industry the risk of a cardiovascular-related event on testosterone therapy was greater (OR 2.06, 95% CI 1.34 to 3.17) than in pharmaceutical industry funded trials (OR 0.89, 95% CI 0.50 to 1.60).

Conclusions
The effects of testosterone on cardiovascular-related events varied with source of funding. Nevertheless, overall and particularly in trials not funded by the pharmaceutical industry, exogenous testosterone increased the risk of cardiovascular-related events, with corresponding implications for the use of testosterone therapy.

Borracho

• Getbig V
Makes you wonder about the validity of the studies on anything out there...

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
This is all dose related. It is no secret at a certain dose test starts to mess u up instead of help, that dose is different of different people. I have seen some clients start to get bad numbers after 150mg week and others at 400mg week.

galeniko

• Getbig V
well, its simple.

a true hrt dose, something like 200mg every 14 days or so, may ,keyword may, reduce the risk.

if the diet is shit on that, you can bet youll get bad readings.

if the diet is clean, readings will be good.

as you increase the dosage, theres no way itll make your reading better, think the upper limit is maybe 250 weekly.anything more, forget it.

and keep in mind this is test only, the good readings will come from estrogen conversion mostly, not from the test itself.

this means, dont except the same results from winstrol,or tren.

theres studies out there on winstrol where the cholesterol values worsened by 30%(!!!!) within few weeks.

30% increase will mean for someone whos on upper limit already,he will need cholesterol medication.

keep that in mind, or just dont mind anthing and die quite soon from infarct.

theres a difference between living the life and thinking while living the life.
n

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
well, its simple.

a true hrt dose, something like 200mg every 14 days or so, may ,keyword may, reduce the risk.

if the diet is shit on that, you can bet youll get bad readings.

if the diet is clean, readings will be good.

as you increase the dosage, theres no way itll make your reading better, think the upper limit is maybe 250 weekly.anything more, forget it.

and keep in mind this is test only, the good readings will come from estrogen conversion mostly, not from the test itself.

this means, dont except the same results from winstrol,or tren.

theres studies out there on winstrol where the cholesterol values worsened by 30%(!!!!) within few weeks.

30% increase will mean for someone whos on upper limit already,he will need cholesterol medication.

keep that in mind, or just dont mind anthing and die quite soon from infarct.

theres a difference between living the life and thinking while living the life.

thing is, as you well know... bodybuilders will read this and convince themselves that anything under a gram is hrt and they are actualy being healthy..

galeniko

• Getbig V
thing is, as you well know... bodybuilders will read this and convince themselves that anything under a gram is hrt and they are actualy being healthy..
yeah, the delusions and self lies are running high,mate.

im the first to say that 250mg of test with a diet thats not dead on point, is already bad for the health,by normal society standards.

500mg+ weekly is not healhty no matter how one wants to twist it.

everyone who has trained and dieted seriously will know this, they will know the weird things and reactions of the body to shit foods ful of salt,like mcdonalds fries, or cookies.

steroids elevate some parameters for everyone, and those parameters are in place for a reason, health reference.

if one says elevated rbc is no big deal,thats already first self lie.

and the list goes on.

if one has the chance to talk to a doc whos expertise is on hormones, go on and ask them whats worse, normal reg joe diet+smoking and alc every weekend or 500mg test weekly.

but the ppl dont wanna hear it, they want big doses,thinking gains will be better or quicker.oh well, to each their own.

if one cant accept how they look on hrt, then its either a competitor or someone with mental issues.
n

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Study finds testosterone therapy may reduce risk of cardiovascular disease
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 04:04:17 AM »
yeah, the delusions and self lies are running high,mate.

im the first to say that 250mg of test with a diet thats not dead on point, is already bad for the health,by normal society standards.

500mg+ weekly is not healhty no matter how one wants to twist it.

everyone who has trained and dieted seriously will know this, they will know the weird things and reactions of the body to shit foods ful of salt,like mcdonalds fries, or cookies.

steroids elevate some parameters for everyone, and those parameters are in place for a reason, health reference.

if one says elevated rbc is no big deal,thats already first self lie.

and the list goes on.

if one has the chance to talk to a doc whos expertise is on hormones, go on and ask them whats worse, normal reg joe diet+smoking and alc every weekend or 500mg test weekly.

but the ppl dont wanna hear it, they want big doses,thinking gains will be better or quicker.oh well, to each their own.

if one cant accept how they look on hrt, then its either a competitor or someone with mental issues.

i'd argue that if one cannot accept how they looked before using gear then how can you expect them to be satisfied with how they look while on it

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
Re: Study finds testosterone therapy may reduce risk of cardiovascular disease
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 02:26:51 PM »
Good stuff.

Depends on just how low it is. My buddy just started HRT and he told me that he gets 150mg of Test E every 3 weeks. Said the doc told him after 2 or 3 shots (6-9wks) he has to do blood work to see where the level stands and adjust from there. Doc said if it's still low they'll go up 50mg for another 2-3 shots then repeat until they get good levels.

Wish I could get it legal like that. I've only done one cycle years ago so I'm no expert but I remember feeling like a fucking 21yr old sexual superman. It literally was like the fountain of youth. Granted I was 500mg a week but I'm considering going copying my buddy and just getting some test e (or c) and self administer 150mg every 2 weeks. Though I really enjoyed the Sust so as you can see I'm a bit conflicted. May need to post a thread and ask experts.