Author Topic: Why do people also use the word "cold" before beer?  (Read 5057 times)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Re: Why do people also use the word "cold" before beer?
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2013, 04:26:21 PM »
Isn't it just an idiom ???

When you order it in a bar you never ask for a cold beer. That would be full retard.

I've heard it ordered that way countless times.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 04:34:35 PM »
I've heard it ordered that way countless times.

Same here.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 04:47:18 PM »
Officially outed.

I would think posting for 10 years on a BBing board would have clearly classified me as outed already.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 04:47:42 PM »
I would think posting for 10 years on a BBing board would have clearly classified me as outed already.

;D

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 08:45:46 PM »
No here in Australia we ask for a cold glass of water as well.  If not, then you get it room temperature which is very warm.   :-X
I'll take a Foster's on the rocks no water please, water will kill you.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2013, 12:48:04 AM »
I've heard it said that American beer is served cold because it tastes like shit.

In Germany a lot of ales are served room temp because the cold minimizes the flavor, which is true. I'm sure there are other European places that do this as well.

I'm not a purist though, I like an ice cold brew the good ole American way.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2013, 04:58:18 AM »
I hate people who refer to tuna as "tunafish".  As in, "I'm going to have a tunafish sandwich for lunch".   It's tuna.   It's a fish.  No need to add the word "fish" after the word tuna.

You can tune a guitar but you can't tune a fish.  Sorry, I'll sign off now.

Gonuclear

• Getbig III
  • It depends on what the meaning of "is" is.
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2013, 12:40:11 AM »
It's impossible to get a cold beer in many parts of Mexico...

That's because it's impossible to get anything cold in many parts of Mexico.

However, I do know that you can indeed save money on car insurance in many parts of Mexico.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2013, 11:59:54 AM »
I've heard it said that American beer is served cold because it tastes like shit.

In Germany a lot of ales are served room temp because the cold minimizes the flavor, which is true. I'm sure there are other European places that do this as well.

I'm not a purist though, I like an ice cold brew the good ole American way.

Drank A LOT of German beer in 3 yrs there and never had it served at room temp.  And US beer NOW is incredible. From micros to many of the mid size breweries.  And I continue to do research.    8)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2013, 01:50:31 AM »
I want a cold beer, or do you want a cold beer or I can use a cold beer.  If they don't say cold are we to assume they want a hot beer?  I rarely hear people use cold before asking for a coke or pepsi.  It's just assumed.  Same with water.  When you ask for water you assume they aren't giving you a hot glass of water.

Some beers are drunk at room temp. Me personally... I'll take champagne to beer any day of the week.

Unless it's 40 degrees in the shade, and I'm eating spicy Mexican food, ...then give me an ice cold Corona.
I can't handle Canadian beer, ...it's too strong for me, American beer sucks, and Guiness would put hair on my chest.

As an aside, ...one of the grossest things is a warm Coke, ...especially after a mouthful of ice water.

I once had a skype meeting with a colleague in Denmark set for noon CET / 6 am EST.
Problem is I went to bed at 3am, so it was hard to kind of wake up. I had had a big cup full of filtered ice by my bed, which had melted into the most refreshing ice water, which I drank, but then then I still wasn't wide awake, so I opened the can of coke. OY! What a mistake. After the icewater, that first mouthful made me  gag. I quite literally wanted to spit, ...but had no where to spit, ...and my friend had already come online. I had no choice but to swallow. Absolutely GROSS!!!

w

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2013, 06:22:17 PM »
Some beers are drunk at room temp. Me personally... I'll take champagne to beer any day of the week.

Unless it's 40 degrees in the shade, and I'm eating spicy Mexican food, ...then give me an ice cold Corona.
I can't handle Canadian beer, ...it's too strong for me, American beer sucks, and Guiness would put hair on my chest.

As an aside, ...one of the grossest things is a warm Coke, ...especially after a mouthful of ice water.

I once had a skype meeting with a colleague in Denmark set for noon CET / 6 am EST.
Problem is I went to bed at 3am, so it was hard to kind of wake up. I had had a big cup full of filtered ice by my bed, which had melted into the most refreshing ice water, which I drank, but then then I still wasn't wide awake, so I opened the can of coke. OY! What a mistake. After the icewater, that first mouthful made me  gag. I quite literally wanted to spit, ...but had no where to spit, ...and my friend had already come online. I had no choice but to swallow. Absolutely GROSS!!!

So Canadian beer is too strong and US beer sucks?   Have you ever had anything besides a Budweiser?  Which is as good as the vast majority of moose piss coming out of Canada.  I suppose you think Molson is good quality.  There are 5 microbrews within a half hour of my house that are far better than any Canadian beer. 

So how about continue drinking your champagne and leave the beer talk to those of us who know wtf we are talking about.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2013, 06:34:17 PM »

So Canadian beer is too strong and US beer sucks?   Have you ever had anything besides a Budweiser?  Which is as good as the vast majority of moose piss coming out of Canada.  I suppose you think Molson is good quality.  There are 5 microbrews within a half hour of my house that are far better than any Canadian beer. 

So how about continue drinking your champagne and leave the beer talk to those of us who know wtf we are talking about.
John Daly approved.

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2013, 07:25:17 PM »

X2

not alot of people realize u dont need to drink those horse piss beers when there are plenty of small breweries that make strong quality brews just gotta go find em

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2013, 11:27:00 AM »

So Canadian beer is too strong and US beer sucks?   Have you ever had anything besides a Budweiser? 

yes

Which is as good as the vast majority of moose piss coming out of Canada.  I suppose you think Molson is good quality. 

No I don't.

There are 5 microbrews within a half hour of my house that are far better than any Canadian beer.

How fortunate for you

So how about continue drinking your champagne ...

I will.

...and leave the beer talk to those of us who know wtf we are talking about.

Oh I can assure you I know what I'm talking about when I say that I think beer sucks.
It's my opinion to which I'm fully entitled. You have yourself a nice day.  :)
w

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2013, 11:32:14 AM »
yes

No I don't.

How fortunate for you

I will.

Oh I can assure you I know what I'm talking about when I say that I think beer sucks.
It's my opinion to which I'm fully entitled. You have yourself a nice day.  :)

Brutal 26 day late meltdown, "24 Cocks."

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2013, 03:18:20 PM »
Brutal 26 day late meltdown, "24 Cocks."

I didn't see his little scribbles until now.
...and while I realize you have cocks constantly on your mind,
the name is 24 KT, as in 24KT GOLD... PURE GOLD
w

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2013, 07:04:47 PM »
I didn't see his little scribbles until now.
...and while I realize you have cocks constantly on your mind,
the name is 24 KT, as in 24KT GOLD... PURE GOLD

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2013, 04:45:41 PM »
Same reason guys like shizzo say they want a hard cock I suppose

;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2013, 05:01:15 PM »
I want a cold beer, or do you want a cold beer or I can use a cold beer.  If they don't say cold are we to assume they want a hot beer?  I rarely hear people use cold before asking for a coke or pepsi.  It's just assumed.  Same with water.  When you ask for water you assume they aren't giving you a hot glass of water.

Soft drinks are served at room temperature in some European counties. If you want ice, you have to ask for it.

The temperature of a beer has an influence on a drinker's experience; warmer temperatures reveal the range of flavors in a beer but cooler temperatures are more refreshing. Most drinkers prefer pale lager to be served chilled, a low or medium-strength pale ale to be served cool, while a strong barley wine or imperial stout to be served at room temperature.

Drinking chilled beer began with the development of artificial refrigeration and by the 1870s, was spread in those countries that concentrated on brewing pale lager.

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2013, 10:53:05 PM »
Soft drinks are served at room temperature in some European counties. If you want ice, you have to ask for it.

The temperature of a beer has an influence on a drinker's experience; warmer temperatures reveal the range of flavors in a beer but cooler temperatures are more refreshing. Most drinkers prefer pale lager to be served chilled, a low or medium-strength pale ale to be served cool, while a strong barley wine or imperial stout to be served at room temperature.

Drinking chilled beer began with the development of artificial refrigeration and by the 1870s, was spread in those countries that concentrated on brewing pale lager.

You sir are a renaissance man who knows things.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2013, 07:07:24 AM »
You sir are a renaissance man who knows things.

AND, I might add, ...very much a class act! A true gentleman!  :)
w