Author Topic: Top 3 Rock Bands  (Read 10813 times)

Fortress

• Getbig V
Re: Top 3 Rock Bands
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2013, 07:33:32 PM »
Plus it was cool when they did that guitar swing trick  thing.    Yeah session guys looking for a payday.

TOTO and Garbage are the same deal.  Journey too. And Zeppelin.  Tons of bands when I think about it.

Wow, you know next to nothing about some of these bands. Guitar swing? Reb NEVER did/does that. And a payday? Is this why they continue to release records knowing they'll only maybe sell 15,000 copies or some shit? Tour small club-like venues? It's 20 years past that scene and they are still passionate about writing music together. For what? Big cash? YEAH, RIGHT.

And Journey is the Neal Schon show, whether anyone wants to believe it or not. He's a true musician who has crazy passion for all his music, Journey/solo/otherwise. Same with the cats who go through Journey's ranks.

Won't comment on TOTO because, although I know they're a group of sessions players, I don't know too much about their motivations. Steve Lukather is a beast player, though. As are the core members.  

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2013, 07:48:22 PM »
Def leopard  suck balls

Gnr didn't stick around lOng enough to be considered.

My list:
Stones
The who
Pink Floyd

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2013, 07:52:18 PM »
Stones Zeppelin

After that its tough to say

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2013, 07:53:33 PM »
Funny how much people DON'T know about musicians (in this case, guitarists) ~

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2013, 07:57:18 PM »
Wow, you know next to nothing about some of these bands. Guitar swing? Reb NEVER did/does that. And a payday? Is this why they continue to release records knowing they'll only maybe sell 15,000 copies or some shit? Tour small club-like venues? It's 20 years past that scene and they are still passionate about writing music together. For what? Big cash? YEAH, RIGHT.

And Journey is the Neal Schon show, whether anyone wants to believe it or not. He's a true musician who has crazy passion for all his music, Journey/solo/otherwise. Same with the cats who go through Journey's ranks.

Won't comment on TOTO because, although I know they're a group of sessions players, I don't know too much about their motivations. Steve Lukather is a beast player, though. As are the core members.  

I'm not above being corrected about something. I knew of them back in the day and they were a session band put together to cash in on the hair metal bullshit. And I distinctly remember Kip Winger doing that gay shit with his guitar where he swings it around his body, I'm sorry I didn't point out exactly which member did it.

that being said, I always thought their music was pretty complex and intricate... for what it was. it was pretty obvious they could play.  I wasn't aware that they stuck it out all these years... Good for them, it gives me a newfound respect for them.

And I never said Neal Schon wasn't a talented musician or didn't take music seriously... I said he was a studio guy that put together a band. Your comments basically confirm exactly what I said. I don't know why are you are arguing with me

Same with Zep.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2013, 08:00:45 PM »

Neil Schon was in Santana at 15 yrs old! He and Greg Rollie left to form Journey!

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2013, 08:02:29 PM »
Funny how much people DON'T know about musicians (in this case, guitarists) ~

Is that you ?

I like the way you play it better. ..warmer tone and more feel....IMO

Neal Schon always sounded too sterile and tinny to me

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2013, 08:18:44 PM »
Queen, original GnR, Pink Floyd

I will likely change my mind depending on my mood as alot of people will, but thats the beauty of free choice - everything is subjected to interpretation.

What i will say is that if Phil Lynott hadn't gone off the rails, Thin Lizzy would have been RIGHT up there.
Agreed about Thin Lizzy, first band to have duel lead guitarists, Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson! Thin Lizzy and Deep Purple influenced an incredible amount of bands!

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2013, 09:04:30 PM »
1. Rush
2. Deep Purple
3. Kiss

Zeppelin isn't even in the top 10. Fuck them.

This is brutally hard to answer. At gun point I'd have to say (purely ROCK):

1. Led Zeppelin
2. ACDC
3. The Cult

Worthy contenders:

Guns N Roses
Van Halen
Motorhead
Radiohead
Kiss
Pink Floyd
Scorpions
Rush
Aerosmith
Motley Crue

Heavier Bands:

Black Sabbath
Tool
Metallica
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Slayer

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2013, 09:15:14 PM »
I'm not above being corrected about something. I knew of them back in the day and they were a session band put together to cash in on the hair metal bullshit. And I distinctly remember Kip Winger doing that gay shit with his guitar where he swings it around his body, I'm sorry I didn't point out exactly which member did it.

that being said, I always thought their music was pretty complex and intricate... for what it was. it was pretty obvious they could play.  I wasn't aware that they stuck it out all these years... Good for them, it gives me a newfound respect for them.

And I never said Neal Schon wasn't a talented musician or didn't take music seriously... I said he was a studio guy that put together a band. Your comments basically confirm exactly what I said. I don't know why are you are arguing with me

Kip never has/does swing his bass around his body. In ONE video from way, way back he lifts it up in front of himself while doing a slinkly rock god move. They were never "put together", either. Reb and Kip met each other at a session, hit it off and decided to attempt to write some material, together. Kip had some stuff, already, and Reb dug it and they kept at it. Then they figured they needed a drummer, etc. to bring the sessions to life.

Schon was never a studio guy. He was part of a backing band that Herbie Herbert used to pimp out in the Bay Area of San Francisco. Eventually Neal took the reigns and decided to just round it out and make a go of their own stuff. The first three records without Perry did zip, commercially. As another has said, Neal Schon began his pro music career life at 15 as a member of Santana's band. He was being courted by both Santana and Eric Clapton for his Derek and the Dominos project. He chose Santana because Eric was in the throes of his addictions.     

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2013, 09:16:02 PM »

FUCKING SUPERIOR TO ALL MUSIC
the song would be perfect for terminator 5 or something like that
A

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2013, 09:17:28 PM »
Is that you ?

I like the way you play it better. ..warmer tone and more feel....IMO

Neal Schon always sounded too sterile and tinny to me

Interesting. Neal, to me, possesses incredible feel and articulation, and he is one of the greatest lyrical soloists I've ever heard. As far as his tone, well, that's so very subjective, so fair enough.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2013, 09:21:53 PM »
Interesting. Neal, to me, possesses incredible feel and articulation, and he is one of the greatest lyrical soloists I've ever heard. As far as his tone, well, that's so very subjective, so fair enough.

Personal preference.  I like more organic sounding  guitarists.  Ty tabor...Jagr Tana are two of my favorites.

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2013, 09:23:15 PM »
prodigy

l.m.f.a.o.

kriss cross
n

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2013, 09:24:53 PM »
prodigy

l.m.f.a.o.

kriss cross

Ha ha.....how ya been brother?

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2013, 09:37:31 PM »
Personal preference.  I like more organic sounding  guitarists.  Ty tabor...Jagr Tana are two of my favorites.

Oh, shit, I LOVE Ty. Been a huge King's X fan since Gretchen. Own all the albums and all Tabor's solo stuff, including website-only demo CDRs. Nice call.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2013, 09:46:48 PM »
Oh, shit, I LOVE Ty. Been a huge King's X fan since Gretchen. Own all the albums and all Tabor's solo stuff, including website-only demo CDRs. Nice call.

Cool. Yeah he's a genius. Fantastic solos and riffs for days.

Youtube  "so gently we go"  if you feel like it. its yagr tanas band.. his last name is a homage to Santana...to give you a heads up. Super creative guy...love his stuff.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2013, 09:53:25 PM »
Lynyrd Skynyrd  8)
Pearl Jam
Rolling Stones

Honorable mentions
Metallica
Jimi Hendrix
Aerosmith
Soundgarden
A

Dr Kincaid

• Getbig III
  • Ice machine broken
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2013, 01:12:19 AM »

toto's dune soundtrack is awesome.

Dr Kincaid

• Getbig III
  • Ice machine broken
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2013, 01:17:37 AM »
Zep
Purple
Sabbath

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2013, 01:46:39 AM »
For me it's a toss up between Pink Floyd,  Thin Lizzy and Led Zeppelin

the Algebra Wizard

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2013, 04:03:11 AM »
Which VH? Sammy or Dave?

either one ...  but NOT CHERONE !!!!

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2013, 04:42:09 AM »

8)

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2013, 04:49:49 AM »
Love King's X, can't leave out Doug Pinnicks vocals!

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2013, 05:00:03 AM »
No one ever talks about UFO, Michael Schenker is one of the best guitarists that no one ever talks about! The album Strangers in the Night may be the best live rock album ever recorded!