Author Topic: Anyone listening to Stone Cold Steve Austin's podcast?  (Read 30134 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Re: Anyone listening to Stone Cold Steve Austin's podcast?
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2015, 06:33:25 PM »

You have my respect as a "true fan," Lizzy.

Thanks, I went back and looked at the time period when he was the TV champ. It was 1991 and he had only been in the business for two years. Hard to believe he was that good after such a short time. A real natural.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2015, 04:40:44 PM »
If you guys get a chance, listen to Jericho's Podcast with Jesse Ventura. Lots of fun stories.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2015, 05:39:32 PM »
If you guys get a chance, listen to Jericho's Podcast with Jesse Ventura. Lots of fun stories.
I wonder if he gets into the whole trying to start a wrestling union thing.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2015, 04:04:39 PM »
I'm about halfway through part one of Austin's conversation with Scott Hall.

I'm also hoping rush-hour traffic is a bit worse tomorrow so that I can finish both parts.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2015, 09:49:48 AM »
I believe Wrestler hosted Podcasts are coming to the end of the line. Look for them to start disappearing shortly.

I used to listen to them, but, now, they've become repetitive as guys interviewing their friends gets old after awhile.

IMO, the Wrestling Podcasts with legs are ones like Pro Wrestling Torch which is more of a Wrestling News Show, sort of an ESPN Sportscenter of Wrestling.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2015, 02:14:12 PM »
I believe Wrestler hosted Podcasts are coming to the end of the line. Look for them to start disappearing shortly.

I used to listen to them, but, now, they've become repetitive as guys interviewing their friends gets old after awhile.

IMO, the Wrestling Podcasts with legs are ones like Pro Wrestling Torch which is more of a Wrestling News Show, sort of an ESPN Sportscenter of Wrestling.

I haven't listened to many. I didn't care much for Piper's.

I fear they are too restricting on Flair. Although, most of the ones I've downloaded have been entertaining and interesting.

Austin seems to have the best and may outlast them all.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2015, 03:11:35 PM »
Yeah, Austin's is the best in class, but, even his is no longer a must listen.

This week, he has DDP, again. Last week, he had Scott Hall, again.

See the pattern?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2015, 04:05:16 PM »
Yeah, Austin's is the best in class, but, even his is no longer a must listen.

This week, he has DDP, again. Last week, he had Scott Hall, again.

See the pattern?

Yes.

A few, like Hall, can have multiple episodes devoted to them because there's so much they can cover.
But, sooner or later, they will run out of material and guests.

Enjoy it now.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2015, 05:03:59 PM »
DDP is basically a self-promotion machine. Part of me admires that level of shamelessness, but, it doesn't make for good listen.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2015, 01:19:14 AM »
DDP is basically a self-promotion machine. Part of me admires that level of shamelessness, but, it doesn't make for good listen.

Right!

I'm really not interested in Dallas, his stories, or his product.
But, Austin will keep,inviting him on because they are buddies, and DDP Yoga is a major sponso of Steve's podcast.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2015, 04:35:59 AM »

Right!

I'm really not interested in Dallas, his stories, or his product.
But, Austin will keep,inviting him on because they are buddies, and DDP Yoga is a major sponso of Steve's podcast.
What's with these podcasts? Seems like they are all set up on what to say anyways. Like their all in cahoots with the guests.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2015, 04:50:49 AM »
What's with these podcasts? Seems like they are all set up on what to say anyways. Like their all in cahoots with the guests.

This is another problem. If the hosts have current WWE performers, as guests, they're gonna be very restrained for fear of getting in trouble.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2015, 11:20:01 AM »
This is another problem. If the hosts have current WWE performers, as guests, they're gonna be very restrained for fear of getting in trouble.
TBH, the only one I enjoyed was the C.M.Punk one because he wasn't tied to anyone and everyone wanted to hear his story and he pulled no punches but was very professional about it.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2015, 02:39:01 PM »
The Lesnar interview is up on the Stone Cold Unleashed Podcast. I'm hoping to catch it over the weekend.

From the reviews I've heard of the show, Brock comes across as someone who sees wrestling as a job and nothing more.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2015, 05:29:17 PM »
The Lesnar interview is up on the Stone Cold Unleashed Podcast. I'm hoping to catch it over the weekend.

From the reviews I've heard of the show, Brock comes across as someone who sees wrestling as a job and nothing more.

The late, great Gorilla Monsoon used to say, "Wrestling is a business. And, if you're in business for any reason other than money, you're a fool."

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2015, 04:57:20 AM »

The late, great Gorilla Monsoon used to say, "Wrestling is a business. And, if you're in business for any reason other than money, you're a fool."
Words of wisdom right there.....Angelo Poffo had the same mindset and he instilled it in his sons.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2015, 06:14:38 PM »

I watched it on the Network and he really does, he says on more than one occasion that he clocks in, does his job and then clocks out.  He doesn't have friends backstage, doesn't get involved in politics, just turns up and performs.  He's quite honest in it though, talks about how he doesn't do well with people, couldn't cope in an arena if he wasn't performing in the ring, lots of other stuff.  Austin had to ask him about all kinds of crap (what's his preferred hunting scope?!) before getting to the wrestling stuff and his background/UFC/etc, I guess to loosen him up a bit.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2015, 10:31:38 AM »
I came away from the interview liking Brock,more, especially what he had to say about working hard, his disdain for the entitlement mentality, and his love of Dodge Trucks.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2015, 05:45:01 PM »
Michaels on this week. Haven't got a chance to catch it yet.

As an aside, I highly recommend this week's MMA Hour, with Ariel Havani.

It's a collection of interviews with Conor Macgregor, from 2013 when he was flat broke to this year's multimillionaire version. Good stuff. He's a big wrestling fan and says Austin was an influence to his badass persona.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2015, 03:38:43 AM »
I watched it on the Network and he really does, he says on more than one occasion that he clocks in, does his job and then clocks out.  He doesn't have friends backstage, doesn't get involved in politics, just turns up and performs.  He's quite honest in it though, talks about how he doesn't do well with people, couldn't cope in an arena if he wasn't performing in the ring, lots of other stuff.  Austin had to ask him about all kinds of crap (what's his preferred hunting scope?!) before getting to the wrestling stuff and his background/UFC/etc, I guess to loosen him up a bit.
Ya I saw that too. Spot on to exactly what you posted.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2016, 04:48:53 PM »
Big Show was on the podcast this week and was a surprisingly interesting guest.  Like many other fans I suspect, I've gone off Show completely due to his constant turns, his random booking, no direction for his character, etc.  Hearing him admit he feels he's been booked horribly throughout his WWE run kinda changed my opinion on him.  He says how he's never been the type to stand up for himself, instead being more of a team player and when they suddenly need a heel, then that's what he is.  If they need him to be a babyface the following night, or they need someone to guide a newbie through a match, then that's what he does.

I still think the Big Show character has been completely wasted for years, but I do now appreciate the type of worker he is and what he contributes to the company and the business in general.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2016, 05:20:26 PM »
Show not standing up for himself might be some guilt about the way he started at the top of the card without paying dues. His first few matches were against Hogan and Flair.

It's not really his fault. With his size, he had to get some special treatment.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2016, 02:15:14 AM »
Show not standing up for himself might be some guilt about the way he started at the top of the card without paying dues. His first few matches were against Hogan and Flair.

It's not really his fault. With his size, he had to get some special treatment.

And, I think that was also kind of an awkward time in wrestling.
He came into WCW around, what; the mid-90's?

There was a huge transition taking place in the business then. A man of his physical stature could not be treated as "ordinary" talent, but it was also harder, I think, to be a true "spectacle" in the business the way Andre and others had.

Even if Andre were to have broken into the business at that time, I suspect he may have suffered the same issues. It's almost like you're too much to be "regular," but not enough to be "special."

Now, when someone like Khali comes in, he's almost relegated simply to being "some tall guy."

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2016, 06:09:41 AM »
Nothing to disagree with there.

As an aside, Austin continually promotes his "Broken Skull Challenge" show, on the Podcast. I gave it a shot, but, couldn't get into it. I find these reality shows that have "contestants" to be dated. The shows I watch usually involve people doing real things like restoring cars or renovating houses.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2016, 06:29:42 PM »

Very probably and he talks about starting out as well, how they put the title on him and the other guys ribbed him by telling him to wear the belt everywhere he went.  He said there wasn't any real ill feeling towards him in the locker room as they were all on guaranteed contracts at WCW, so he wasn't eating into their income by being successful.  When he came up to WWE though, it was a different story and he said he had so much heat that people like HHH, who he already knew, wouldn't talk to him around others.

It's a really good interview, definitely recommended if you can catch it.