Author Topic: Chains  (Read 3880 times)

Blood

• Getbig II
  • Do something with your life...get fat.
Chains
« on: January 01, 2006, 04:21:27 PM »
Any advice on training bench/squat/deads with chains? I'm going to Lowe's this week to have about 40 lbs. worth of 3/8" chain cut; just wanted to ask around before I spent the money.
SRHS Raiders

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
Re: Chains
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 08:22:24 PM »
Here's my advice:

Don't use them...there is absolutely no need whatsoever. Learn how to lift, lift with good form, and lift often as heavy as you can with good form.  That's all you need... I think that guys that train with chains are retarded.

SupplementGuy

• Getbig III
  • I'm the kind of a person who's the type of dog...
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 09:08:29 PM »
Go to westside's webpage.

Arnold Jr, you have no idea what you are talking about. Just think for two seconds what using chains actually does and then explain how it has 'no benefit'. Moron.

SG ::)

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 09:18:23 PM »
Go to westside's webpage.

Arnold Jr, you have no idea what you are talking about. Just think for two seconds what using chains actually does and then explain how it has 'no benefit'. Moron.

All I'm saying is that I believe that it is unnecessary. You can get all you need out of training without adding in extra steps. I'm sure that training with chains can provide some successful training, but again I just don't see the point. If there is a reason you believe I am wrong then by all means tell me what it is, tell me why you think I'm wrong, don't give me some opinion of someone else... speak from your own experience

And by the way, calling me a moron... come on that was pretty week. If you think I'm so stupid surely you can do better than that.

SupplementGuy

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 09:25:12 PM »
Here's my advice:

Don't use them...there is absolutely no need whatsoever. Learn how to lift, lift with good form, and lift often as heavy as you can with good form.  That's all you need... I think that guys that train with chains are retarded.

http://www.westside-barbell.com/Articles%20Top%20Ten/Top%20Ten%20List/top%2010%20sheets113005.pdf

All these retarded guys use chains...

Chains absolutely can be beneficial as they increase the load on your muscles at the points when the exercise becomes easier. For example when bench pressing the top portion of the bench is easier. When you get past that sticking point near the bottom-middle it becomes increasingly easier as you finish your repitition. So adding the chains in, as they come off the ground they increase the load and add this load to your muscles at their strongest point in the movement providing a more consistent load on the entire range of motion. They are beneficial as are most things that one may use to switch things up or hit the muscle from a different angle.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 09:28:42 PM »
Same thing with bands..
follow the arrows

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 09:45:22 PM »
http://www.westside-barbell.com/Articles%20Top%20Ten/Top%20Ten%20List/top%2010%20sheets113005.pdf

All these retarded guys use chains...

Chains absolutely can be beneficial as they increase the load on your muscles at the points when the exercise becomes easier. For example when bench pressing the top portion of the bench is easier. When you get past that sticking point near the bottom-middle it becomes increasingly easier as you finish your repitition. So adding the chains in, as they come off the ground they increase the load and add this load to your muscles at their strongest point in the movement providing a more consistent load on the entire range of motion. They are beneficial as are most things that one may use to switch things up or hit the muscle from a different angle.

Your missing my point. I'm not saying that using chains prevents you from making progress... what I'm saying is that there are better ways to go about it, more efficient ways.

Show me an article or video clip where one pro bb claims that using chains is what provided him with the physique that he has now, that he would not have been able to reach this level without them. When you find this get back to me... by the way, you'll be looking for a long time.

Same thing with bands..
Yep, same with bands

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 09:50:45 PM »
chains should be used purely for powerlifting purposes. As SG mentioned above, it is intended to improve upon sticking points, like the top part of your squat, bench and deadlift. It is successfully used by powerlifters, just like bands, to improve their sticking points

end of story!
follow the arrows

Blood

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 01:35:18 PM »
Thanks for the advice (the Westside links were really helpful). I think my normal routine, plus chain use and rack lockouts, ought to give me 20+ pounds on my last bench max. I'm using the chains for squats and deads, too. By the way, Arnold Jr., I'm not looking to improve my physique, I just want to give it a try to see if it helps me work through my sticking points. I'll post a follow-up after about 6 weeks.
SRHS Raiders

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 02:46:10 PM »
Thanks for the advice (the Westside links were really helpful). I think my normal routine, plus chain use and rack lockouts, ought to give me 20+ pounds on my last bench max. I'm using the chains for squats and deads, too. By the way, Arnold Jr., I'm not looking to improve my physique, I just want to give it a try to see if it helps me work through my sticking points. I'll post a follow-up after about 6 weeks.
More power to you bro.  If strength is your biggest concern and you think this can help, then by all means give it a shot.

SupplementGuy

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 04:10:31 PM »
More power to you bro.  If strength is your biggest concern and you think this can help, then by all means give it a shot.

Proven not theorized to help strength.

Gary

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 10:28:55 AM »
chains should be used purely for powerlifting purposes. As SG mentioned above, it is intended to improve upon sticking points, like the top part of your squat, bench and deadlift. It is successfully used by powerlifters, just like bands, to improve their sticking points

end of story!

Not necessarily the end of story.  I used chains getting ready for my bodybuilding competition and they were definitly helpful.  I just adapted them to the movements where I thought they would be beneficial.

Example.  I life the close grip bench for triceps but not necessarily for chest.  I used the chains on CGP and the lift was noticable more effective for my triceps.  At the bottom of the movement most of the chain was on the floor and it was just the weight like for everyone else.  As the weight came of the chest and the chains rose link by link all the way to lockout, the affect on the tris was huge and there was little chance for the chest to assist in the lift.  I also used them for dips and front squats.  Think where the sticking point is in the squat and how you almost have to slow the ascencion when squatting to keep momentum from takiing over due to the decrease in angle.  Imagine how much more weight you can use if you only quarter-squat and you should get the picture how much easier the squat lift is once you get past the sticking point. 

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 01:12:40 PM »
cool, thanks for sharing gary.
follow the arrows

Blood

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2006, 01:28:03 PM »
I ended up getting about 25-30 lbs. of chain cut. Took it home, worked out w/ 185 for 3 sets of 10 with the chains. I'm a little sore today, even off of that low weight, so maybe it'll work. Everyone I talk to thinks chains are better to begin with, then you should move to bands. Any thoughts on this?
SRHS Raiders

Wolverine

• Getbig III
  • The Rabid Wolverine
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2006, 07:12:00 PM »
srry im prob retararted but how do u incorporate the chains with your regular excercises?
mrechef

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2006, 08:37:52 PM »
Useless.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2006, 08:40:35 PM »
srry im prob retararted but how do u incorporate the chains with your regular excercises?
wtf is 'retararted'?
follow the arrows

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2006, 09:29:23 PM »

Wolverine

• Getbig III
  • The Rabid Wolverine
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2006, 08:40:34 AM »