Author Topic: How do you train?  (Read 3712 times)

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
How do you train?
« on: January 01, 2006, 09:10:36 PM »
I am fully aware that there is a training section here at Getbig, but it doesn't really flow with what I am asking here. First off, I'm not really looking for any advice here, it's more of a curiosity thing, plus I'm just a little bit bored.

I thought it might be intersting to know how everyone that post here in the gear section trains, and also for what reason, since using gear alters the way we go about things vs. if we trained 100% naturally. What I'm getting at is the frequency and intensity can vary a great deal between a natty and a gear user... after all, gear definitely speeds up recovery and allows for one to push even harder then he could otherwise.

So here are the questions... these refer to when your on cycle, not off:

1. How often do you hit each muscle group?
2. Do you train in a high volume manner or is it more along the lines of a HIT routine?
3. Why do you train with gear? Do you have competitive aspirations, is it for other competitive sports purposes, or is it for the sole purpose to aid in your training just for training sakes?

I'll answer these for myself to get the ball rolling.

1. On cycle I'll start off the 1st few weeks just hitting everything once per wk, but once the gear has really begun to kick in I'll usually bump it up to 2x per wk

2. I absolutely hate HIT style training or any of the variations. The biggest reason is that whenever I tried them I just didn't respond a well, and 2nd I enjoy training too much for these really short sessions... but to each his own. I prefer to train in a pretty high volume manner, especially with the larger muscle groups, such as back, legs, and chest, as for shoulders it's probably in a more moderate range, and for arms it's even less. And when I refer to high volume, I do mean high...for legs and back especially.  With that said, even though the volume is high, the intinsity level I would say the least is through the roof

3. I train with gear because I do have competitive aspirations. I plan on doing my first show this summer and I am really looking forward to that. I dieted down this past year for a show, but being that it was my first time, I made some mistakes that I will not repeat this go around. When it came time to commit to a show I knew I wasn't ready, I was lean enough, but I knew that I really needed another year to develop if I was to be competitive... and by competitive I mean win. For me, there is just no reason to step on stage if I do not have a shot of pushing the envelope with the top guys out there with me. My goal for now is to win the Mr. my state and qualify for nationals. That's it, I know even if I do pull this off I will more than likely still not be ready for the national stage in a strong competitive sense, I will still need more time, but this is a first step, one that I have been working towards for some time now.

muscle19

• Getbig IV
  • Lifes To Short To Be Small!!!
Re: How do you train?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 09:59:08 PM »
I am fully aware that there is a training section here at Getbig, but it doesn't really flow with what I am asking here. First off, I'm not really looking for any advice here, it's more of a curiosity thing, plus I'm just a little bit bored.

I thought it might be intersting to know how everyone that post here in the gear section trains, and also for what reason, since using gear alters the way we go about things vs. if we trained 100% naturally. What I'm getting at is the frequency and intensity can vary a great deal between a natty and a gear user... after all, gear definitely speeds up recovery and allows for one to push even harder then he could otherwise.

So here are the questions... these refer to when your on cycle, not off:

2. Do you train in a high volume manner or is it more along the lines of a HIT routine?
3. Why do you train with gear? Do you have competitive aspirations, is it for other competitive sports purposes, or is it for the sole purpose to aid in your training just for training sakes?

1) while on cycle i hit each muscle 1x per wk except arms which i hit 2x/wk. now if i feel like training another bodypart for the second time i will, knowing that i can get  away with it, but i respond to high volume, 1x/wk, high intensity workouts.

2) high volume all the way bro! imo, thats the only way i will ever train, the blood flow, the pump,  for me thats what works best, i agree with u Arnie, HIT training is not my style, short workouts are not up my alley, i like 1hour long workouts.

3)when i started i did have the plans to compete but im putting them on hold for awhile and now use gear to improve myself physique wise. there is a certain image i want and gear is a part of that, but my use is small compared to some cats, i will not go over 750mg test/wk anymore (i have no reason too) i dont want to use orals, i find injectable gear the only way i want to go.

muscle

muscle

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 07:53:45 AM »
I 1. How often do you hit each muscle group?

1.  When I was young and invincible, especially in my 20's, I hit each bodypart 2x per week, max weights, max intensity.  3 hour sessions.  Now (at 41) I train each bodypart 1x per week, only moderate weight to avoid injury, but very intense.  1 - 1 1/2 hour sessions.  The goal is to anihilate the muscle, but spare the joint and avoid injury.
2.  Still high volume.  I'm with arnie and m19.  HIT is S(HIT). I love to rain my ass off.  HIT training seems like an excuse to leave the gym early.
3.  No competitive aspirations.  Never competed in the past either, even when I was at my all time best.  I simply love being big, I love the feel of a huge, ripped muscle contracting, I love the feel of cold steel in my hands.  I love seeing a bar bend.
     My personality was always defined (it seemed to me) by my massive size.  I had a reputation as a "gentle giant."  I let this get away from me for a while in my early to mid-thirties as I had a family, and my professional career took off.  I still always ate cleanly and lifted, but training was as infrequent as 1-2 times per week.  I started resuming more frequent workouts about 4 years ago, and last year was up again to about 4-6x per week.  Last winter started getting that old feeling once again (I had not used gear since my mid twenties) and really just got tired of not seeing the man in the mirror that I wanted to see.  I still don't, but I'm getting there  ;)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 08:33:17 AM »
Me lot's like freak just said, almost to a T.

have to say last summer though was the best I ever was, really liked that guy in the mirror he was awsome :D.............gonna be seeing that guy again real soon.  Was pretty happy with the guy latley till I got sick for the last 3 weeks  :(

Its all good will back up in running real soon, the time is near.  Gathering goodies now.

Freak, Im jealeous you must be loving it about now?  ;D

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 08:59:32 AM »
Well luv I'm just entering week 4.  In fact, just left my computer to pin...  Yummy.

Actually, I can't say I feel much yet, even with dbol as a kickstart, but I didn't really lose all that much from the last cycle. 

I saw bravo at Christmas, and he's on the same cycle, at week 8 or so, and MAN is he friggin huge!  I actually hadn't seen him since last Easter, and this was a few months before we decided to venture down the oily path again--the difference after 1 1/2 cycles was unbelievable.  At 265, you could feel his abs through his friggin shirt!

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 02:37:37 PM »

2.  Still high volume.  I'm with arnie and m19.  HIT is S(HIT). I love to rain my ass off.  HIT training seems like an excuse to leave the gym early.

Exactly... although it may work for some, generally speaking it is for babies

Actually, I can't say I feel much yet, even with dbol as a kickstart, but I didn't really lose all that much from the last cycle.

That's cause dbol is overrated... at least that's what I think

Its all good will back up in running real soon, the time is near. Gathering goodies now.

Hope your recovery is going well... being sick SUCKS a big one! What do you have planned, for your next go around?

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 06:12:31 PM »
Hope your recovery is going well... being sick SUCKS a big one! What do you have planned, for your next go around?

thanks Bro getting better slowly, it does suck to be down.  cant wait till I can hit the iron again.

Next go around will probally start in march.  Lets see im thinking at least 6 months long.  goodies planned test, of course, EQ, tren, and a-bombs is the plan.  Im sure I will mix it up some over that time period.  Think Im gonna run arimidex as my AI this time instead of letro, just to see how I like it.  HCG on cycle and nolva for pct, may throw 2 weeks clomid in after HCG clears at 50mg ED not sure if I need it though.  Did it that way last PCT and things went real smooth.

L2h out.....the little sick baby needs his rest  ;D

muscle19

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 06:32:52 PM »
sounds like thats going to be a good cycle luv! what doses r u planning to run in that cycle?

muscle
muscle

bravo

• Getbig II
  • Self Inflicted!!
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 08:12:17 PM »
3.  No competitive aspirations.  Never competed in the past either, even when I was at my all time best.  I simply love being big, I love the feel of a huge, ripped muscle contracting, I love the feel of cold steel in my hands.  I love seeing a bar bend.

Brings a tear to my eye....almost poetic......could not agree more!

bravo

• Getbig II
  • Self Inflicted!!
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 08:20:23 PM »
Lets see im thinking at least 6 months long. 

L2H,

I love this idea!!  so how long can you stay on orals during this and what would your cycle look like written out?
 My thinking is..."If I can stay on 20 weeks...surely I can do six months!!!" feel better, dude...

(wattaya say, Freak????)

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 09:00:13 PM »
what doses r u planning to run in that cycle?

muscle
Agreed, lay it all out there bro.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 05:19:55 AM »

My thinking is..."If I can stay on 20 weeks...surely I can do six months!!!"

Yes you sure can, if your gonna do it go big or go home  ;D

Last cycle i did was over 9 months long, and my thinking is its safer and easier on the body than cycling 2-3 times off and on in that period.  I recovered the fastest from this cycle then much shorter ones.  Will admit though that was the first time I used HCG on cycle, may have had alot to do with it. 

Thanks marble for showing us the way, where ever you are.

Will say the last 2 months it felt like my body was trying to normalize itself.  That darn body always trying to return to its natural state.........who'd a thought.

Will lay out my plans in the near future.

Double XL

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 07:11:23 PM »
How do you train?
BALLS 2 THE WALL NUGGA.
[img]http://nono.com/0ICJ

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 09:30:52 AM »

1.) Once a week, on or off.

2.) I train like a powerlifter, less reps, but I go up higher in weight than a bodybuilder does and for form and negatives.

3.) I train with AAS because it enhances my training, more stamina and strength.  I'm not a bodybuilder and I have no aspirations to compete.  There is no money in it and the dieting is just not worth it.

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2006, 02:57:14 PM »

3.) I train with AAS because it enhances my training, more stamina and strength.  I'm not a bodybuilder and I have no aspirations to compete.  There is no money in it and the dieting is just not worth it.

DIV
It's true, BB competition is not for everyone, I would never try to talk someone into it, they have to want to do it for themselves. Money can not be an issue, it is something that has to be done out of pure desire.

bigjohN79

• Getbig IV
  • FEAR THE BOG!!
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2006, 08:17:48 AM »
Cool answer division
FEAR THE BAPP!

muscle19

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2006, 09:16:27 AM »
thats true div and a-jr, i had aspirations to compete one day and to step on that olympia stage, then i finally realized, what is the point to compete and spend so much time involved when the likely hood of making it big is very small, and in order to accomplish that, the amount of drugs involved, i just feel it is not worth it but that doesn't mean i will stop BB, i love the sport and try to follow it everyday. i juice for the pleasure, the stamina, the sex drive  ;D, and best of all, the appearance. knowing the type of person i am, trying to turn pro probably would have cost me my life (in my opinion) knowing that i would crazy drug amounts, and try almost anything, but now, i will not put my body through that, now only responsible cycles with adequate time off as well.

muscle
muscle

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2006, 10:21:13 AM »
thats true div and a-jr, i had aspirations to compete one day and to step on that olympia stage, then i finally realized, what is the point to compete and spend so much time involved when the likely hood of making it big is very small, and in order to accomplish that, the amount of drugs involved, i just feel it is not worth it

You need to have the genetics + megadose on AAS + allocate a large portion of your day to training and nutrition + have funds to support you because you likely won't be able to have a regular job being a full-time BB + realize that when you diet down it will hurt your relationships + the health complications involved with diuretics come pre-contest prep. 

All that for a few thousand and a trophy when you spent three times that amount to get in that condition? 

Doesn't seem fiscally sound to me.

Granted, if you are one of the top guys, you could ring in endorsements but the chances of you being that guy are rare.

DIV

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2006, 03:20:04 PM »
You need to have the genetics + megadose on AAS + allocate a large portion of your day to training and nutrition + have funds to support you because you likely won't be able to have a regular job being a full-time BB + realize that when you diet down it will hurt your relationships + the health complications involved with diuretics come pre-contest prep. 

All that for a few thousand and a trophy when you spent three times that amount to get in that condition? 

Doesn't seem fiscally sound to me.

Granted, if you are one of the top guys, you could ring in endorsements but the chances of you being that guy are rare.

DIV
Your absolutely right, but let me clear one thing up about myself. Although the competitive aspect has a great deal of appeal to me, I am in no way basing my future on it... I am realistic. But it is still something I need to get out of my system while I'm still young, and still relatively free from responsibilities that could hinder this... you know, wife, kids and all that stuff.

Like I said, if you choose to compete money should never be the reason, because like you said, it more than likely will not be there. It has to be for your own self-gratification, and that's it. But, you have to approach it like you would any goal you have where you want to be successful... and your right, this can hinder relationships.

BIGMIKE

• Getbig III
  • PAIN IS JUST A FOUR LETTER WORD
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2006, 09:18:14 PM »
FUNNY,BUT I FIND HIGH VOLUME TO BE A GOOD WAY OF WASTING TIME.IF YOU DO WHAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO,YOU SHOULD'NT NEED TO HAVE LONG TRAINING SESSIONS.IN FACT,YOU SHOULD'NT EVEN BE ABLE TO.OF COURSE,IF YOU THINK YOU BUST ASS,THEN I GUESS IT'S JUSTIFIABLE.OBVIOUSLY,I BELIEVE IN HIGH INTENSITY.WHAT I DON'T BELIEVE IN IS 1-2 SETS.I TRAIN AS HEAVY AS I POSSIBLY CAN WITH VERY LITTLE REST.3-4 SETS.DURING MY OFFSEASON,I USUALLY STICK TO STRAIGHT SETS WITH THE OCCASIONAL DROP SET.FOR CONTEST PREP I STAY WITH HEAVY WEIGHT AND EMPLOY HEAVY DROPS IN EVERY SET.DURING THE LAST 4-5 WEEKS,I'LL SWITCH TO GIANT SETS.AGAIN,I TRAIN AS HEAVY AS I CAN,YEARROUND.I DON'T BELIEVE IN CYCLING MY TRAINING FROM HEAVY TO LIGHT.I CONSTANTLY SWITCH MY ROUTINES.NEVER EVER THE SAME ROUTINE TWICE IN A ROW.EACH BODYPART IS WORKED ONCE A WEEK.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2006, 01:02:38 PM »
FUNNY,BUT I FIND HIGH VOLUME TO BE A GOOD WAY OF WASTING TIME.IF YOU DO WHAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO,YOU SHOULD'NT NEED TO HAVE LONG TRAINING SESSIONS.IN FACT,YOU SHOULD'NT EVEN BE ABLE TO.OF COURSE,IF YOU THINK YOU BUST ASS,THEN I GUESS IT'S JUSTIFIABLE.OBVIOUSLY,I BELIEVE IN HIGH INTENSITY.WHAT I DON'T BELIEVE IN IS 1-2 SETS.I TRAIN AS HEAVY AS I POSSIBLY CAN WITH VERY LITTLE REST.3-4 SETS.DURING MY OFFSEASON,I USUALLY STICK TO STRAIGHT SETS WITH THE OCCASIONAL DROP SET.FOR CONTEST PREP I STAY WITH HEAVY WEIGHT AND EMPLOY HEAVY DROPS IN EVERY SET.DURING THE LAST 4-5 WEEKS,I'LL SWITCH TO GIANT SETS.AGAIN,I TRAIN AS HEAVY AS I CAN,YEARROUND.I DON'T BELIEVE IN CYCLING MY TRAINING FROM HEAVY TO LIGHT.I CONSTANTLY SWITCH MY ROUTINES.NEVER EVER THE SAME ROUTINE TWICE IN A ROW.EACH BODYPART IS WORKED ONCE A WEEK.
I think high volume, especially while on cycle is a good thing, not saying to go beyond what is necessary, but you can definitely do more on then off. You can get away with more sets, more exercises while on cycle all the while keeping your intensity high when on cycle.

I agree, you should always train heavy, but I alter my training a little when dieting. I generally keep all my sets in the 8-12 range, except for quads where I'll do some at around 15 reps. While bulking, I'll throw a few sets of 6 reps in there on the basic movements, i.e. squat, deads, presses. But when dieting time comes I don't think there is any need for this low rep range. You already have your based established, so it's more of a polishing time. I stay as heavy as I can with good form during a diet, but never drop my reps below 8, and generally stick with the 10-12 rep range.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2006, 02:40:07 PM »

I always trains relatively heavy, just change up the reps/set schemes and exercises.

My body doesn't respond well when I go light for high reps, it's almost like my body needs to be constantly brutalized with heavy weight (even on bad days) in order to maintain consistency in training.

Light weights do not help me.

DIV

BIGMIKE

• Getbig III
  • PAIN IS JUST A FOUR LETTER WORD
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2006, 03:37:54 PM »
I think high volume, especially while on cycle is a good thing, not saying to go beyond what is necessary, but you can definitely do more on then off. You can get away with more sets, more exercises while on cycle all the while keeping your intensity high when on cycle.

I agree, you should always train heavy, but I alter my training a little when dieting. I generally keep all my sets in the 8-12 range, except for quads where I'll do some at around 15 reps. While bulking, I'll throw a few sets of 6 reps in there on the basic movements, i.e. squat, deads, presses. But when dieting time comes I don't think there is any need for this low rep range. You already have your based established, so it's more of a polishing time. I stay as heavy as I can with good form during a diet, but never drop my reps below 8, and generally stick with the 10-12 rep range.
DON'T GET ME WRONG,I STAY HEAVY ALL THE TIME,BUT IN THE 6-10 REP RANGE FOR UPPER BODY AND 10-12 FOR LEGS.SOMETIMES I'LL GO TO 15.WHEN I DO THE DROPS,MY TOTAL REPS ARE NOT FAR FROM THE USUAL RANGE.TO DO THAT I ACTUALLY HAVE TO GO HEAVIER FOR THE 1ST PART OF THE SET.I ALWAYS GET BIGGER DURING THE FIRST 3-4 WEEKS OF CONTEST PREP BECAUSE OF THE SHOCK.IT'S PRETTY BRUTAL   :o