Author Topic: Steve Michalik  (Read 11622 times)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Steve Michalik
« on: January 02, 2006, 12:37:29 PM »
Anyone got any stories about Steve Michalik? He seems to have been quiet a character.
Z

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
Re: Steve Michalik
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 01:59:01 PM »
i know my boss (john defendis used to work out with him, "intensity or insanity")
i think they both trained like maniacs

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 02:16:35 PM »
Didn't they do something like 80 sets for back and 40-50 sets for 'smaller' body parts. I remember a picture of DeFendis doing low pulley rows with a train.
a

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 02:57:55 AM »
i know my boss (john defendis used to work out with him, "intensity or insanity")
i think they both trained like maniacs

Mike, John Defendis is your boss? We would love to have him drop by over at www.ironage.us. If you could, let him know that there has been many threads about him over there.

Is there anything you can share about him . . . does he still train, where is he living and what does he do for a living?

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 03:30:33 AM »
There was an awesome profile on Michalik in a Musclemag a few years ago. Mochinski was responsible I think.

Gave lots of insights on how crazy Michalik is. I only write this, because I feel I am relatively safe sitting in another country. ;D

Among other things, he once taped Defendis to a chinning bar, and didn't let him down until Defendis had completed 100 reps.

That's right. One. Hundred. Repetitions. 100.

Also took Defendis to a beach once and tried to drown him. If someone looked at him while training, he thought it would drain him of "energy". So he would kick anyones ass who did that.

Too funny reading about how Mochinski actually is a bit scared before going to meet with Michalik. But it's very understandable, after reading the article.

What a freak.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 08:27:20 AM »
i remember that article. He said he used to tape off an area of the gym for himself and if any1 interrupted him he threw them through a window. he made DeFendis sell all his belongings and leave his wife so he could train for the USA's! Guy was nuts, drinking monkey brains etc
Scouser on Tour

Traps Hoolihan

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 11:13:32 AM »
I used to work with John as well. There are some good stories on his web page: http://www.defendis.com/

http://www.defendis.com/flash/index.html

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 06:50:02 PM »
Mike, John Defendis is your boss? We would love to have him drop by over at www.ironage.us. If you could, let him know that there has been many threads about him over there.

Is there anything you can share about him . . . does he still train, where is he living and what does he do for a living?

sorry just checked this thread now

yes hes big as a house!(270 -280 i think)
he manages all 8 world gyms in south florida ..............ill pass this along to him right now
see if he wants to drop by ironage

.MIKE

Jeff Preston

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 08:42:52 PM »
To Hurricane Beef ...

John Defendis is a member at Ironage!

He joined in June of 2004, he just hasn't posted in awhile. We do need to get him back on though.
Raw-Iron.com

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 10:51:15 PM »
Thanks Mike and Jeff. I have been PM'ing Neve ( Pat Neve? ) He and invited him over to Ironage, but he's not responding.

I wonder if it is in fact Pat?

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 09:11:45 AM »
Anyone got any stories about Steve Michalik? He seems to have been quiet a character.

I know he got ran over by a garbage truck.
The House that Ruth built

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 08:09:04 PM »
I remember that article Hedgehog mentioned also.DeFendis was going for a title, I forget which, & they had gone to the seashore one day.Michalik took DeFendis & dunked his head in the surf & wouldn't let him up.DeFendis said he felt like he was going to die.Michalik finally lets him up for air & then tells him that when he wants to train for that title like he wanted that breath of air he was going to be ready to train for that title!Hardcore to the max!!

Gord

• Getbig IV
  • Smile when you say that
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 03:09:26 AM »
..... If someone looked at him while training, he thought it would drain him of "energy". So he would kick anyones ass who did that.....

Wouldn't the ass kicking drain him of even more energy?  ???
Lies, damn lies and diets

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 09:34:38 AM »
Steve M. had a brother who was just about as big as him.  Steve M. still training or locked up in a mental ward some where on the east coast? Sounds like DeFendis was really whipped by Michalik.

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 09:57:09 AM »
Was it DeFendis,Michalik or maybe someone else?I remember a magazine article where the person being talked about lived next to a mountain if I remember correct.Anyway, this person would take a 100 lb. loaded barbell (maybe more, can't remember) & place it in the squatting position on his traps & walk up & down the mountain.Can't remember the mountain elevation or if he did this after or possibly before a leg sesssion if at all during a leg day.Man, it must have been killer on the old thighs & cardiovascular system must get a good workout also.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2006, 10:39:56 AM »
I think that mountain man with the 100lb weight was Chuck Sipes, a very thick and powerful guy. He was known to do stuff like that and lived in the high sierra's for quite a while. Also used to do strongman shows, bending spikes, etc.. Too bad he hung himself over some young girl.

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2006, 11:43:39 AM »
Thanks a lot for that info JPM.

Formerly_Owner76

• Getbig III
  • Long Time Troll!
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 01:02:29 PM »
He's as nutty as a fruit fly.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 01:20:43 PM »
Steve M. had a brother who was just about as big as him.  Steve M. still training or locked up in a mental ward some where on the east coast? Sounds like DeFendis was really whipped by Michalik.
he had a brother who was an artist looked like a minature version of steve. i saw michilak one time but dr jules levine seemed to do all his talking for him at that time.pics of michilaks brother were in ironman mag.
F

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 07:44:12 PM »
Steve Michalik was once on the Dick Cavett show, another guest that night was Tony Randall...

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 12:53:56 PM »
Steve Michalik was once on the Dick Cavett show, another guest that night was Tony Randall...
he also was on mike douglas where he posed down with marty allen of allen  and rossi fame. does anyone have that pic?
F