Author Topic: Most impressive lifting feat you have seen IN PERSON in the gym?  (Read 34124 times)

suckmymuscle

Re: Most impressive lifting feat you have seen IN PERSON in the gym?
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2006, 12:41:56 AM »
I think many of us have seen Ronnie and his incredible lifts in his videos, but not too many us have ever seen him in person lifting like that. I was curious about some of the better lifting any of you have seen in person in various gyms.
For me , it was when wroking out with former top AAU America contender , Rick Postin . This was in summer 1986 at his incredible , hardcore gym that used to be in Tampa. I was lucky enough to train with him. He did 315 for 5 decent reps press behind the neck , seated with a basic barbell at a body wt of around 230. He also did  275 for 7 reps on tricep EZ bar skull crushers.

In my book any basic barbell, DB , free wt move is a lot more impressive than a leg press or hammer machine, etc.
 :DI did 9 good , strict reps a few years back with 315 on the BP in front of the freshman football players at my school. Not world class but the yound lads were impressed to see a coach do that in person. :D

I am getting back into basic for reps these days, any others?

Tom Prince doing a 365 lbs military press, for several reps, on Gold's in 1997. Magnussen leg pressing 1800 lbs at Power Gym in Miami, in 1998. These were the two most impressive lifts I've seen, in person.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2006, 09:31:15 AM »

It was probably "skim" ::)

It was 2%!   >:(

MOS

LLES

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2006, 11:35:47 AM »
When I lived in South Carolina, I knew a guy named Bill who was a one time a world-class power-lifter. Bill was around 6'2 & weighed at least 350lb. One day I came in late & Bill was doing partial deadlifts . Not set high either, he was doing 3/4 of a full pull. The bar was full to the end w/45's. I walked up & asked Bill if he had wrist wraps & he told me(swear to God) he only used wraps when he went heavy. He put a little chalk on his hands pulled his belt tight & did 10 easy (almost effortless) reps. I asked what he considered heavy & he said anything over 1000lbs. If you would have seen that like I did, like me you would have probably believed him. He was absolutely the strongest guys I have EVER seen,bar none. He almost got kicked out of Gold's because he bent the sh*t out of every bar they had

robocop

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2006, 11:38:53 AM »
1 pound dumbell press

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2006, 11:44:07 AM »
I think seeing Bertil Bench 500 for 6 reps with no warmup was pretty neat.  In fact EVERYONE thought it was neat.  I always thought Roy Callendar and Bill Pettis doing dips with (2) 150 lb. dumbells hanging from their waist was cool to see.  And they would do pullups too.  Franco doing bent over rows with 405 with no shirt on was awesome.  Watching Tom Platz train calves was always an event.  There is a chubby white guy here who at 5'9" 325 lbs. squats 800 very very deep for reps really easy.  Seeing Joe Onasai BNP 500 for reps with no lift off was unreal and it was video live on the news.  And it seemed allot of people liked watching me lift too.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2006, 11:46:22 AM »
the douchebags who unload one side of the leg press and then have it flip over are always a riot.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

suckmymuscle

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2006, 11:47:52 AM »
When I lived in South Carolina, I knew a guy named Bill who was a one time a world-class power-lifter. Bill was around 6'2 & weighed at least 350lb. One day I came in late & Bill was doing partial deadlifts . Not set high either, he was doing 3/4 of a full pull. The bar was full to the end w/45's. I walked up & asked Bill if he had wrist wraps & he told me(swear to God) he only used wraps when he went heavy. He put a little chalk on his hands pulled his belt tight & did 10 easy (almost effortless) reps. I asked what he considered heavy & he said anything over 1000lbs. If you would have seen that like I did, like me you would have probably believed him. He was absolutely the strongest guys I have EVER seen,bar none. He almost got kicked out of Gold's because he bent the sh*t out of every bar they had

Sorry, man, but I don't think this is possible. Isn't the recordin the dead-lift under 1000 lbs? I think it's something between 900 and 1000 lbs. Either this guy was deceiving you, or you have know idea what you're talking about.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2006, 11:48:38 AM »
i was in the gym on a Saturday morning a few years ago and there's this heavy set powerlifter type dude standing at the DB rack holding a pair of 100's and i'm thinking he's going to do some shrugs and he starts HAMMER CURLING them he does 10 reps with no swinging and rests and does the same thing with a pair of 120's and then a pair of 130's, i didn't believe what i was seeing, really nice guy too.
WOW :o

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2006, 11:51:52 AM »
  Sorry, man, but I don't think this is possible. Isn't the recordin the dead-lift under 1000 lbs? I think it's something between 900 and 1000 lbs. Either this guy was deceiving you, or you have know idea what you're talking about.

SUCKMYMUSCLE
he said it was in the rack, that's possible i was in the gym one day and the late strongman competitor Johnny Perry came in to talk to a few people who were in town for a competition and they were doing rack pulls from well below the knees, they had 775 on the bar and Perry pulled it for 5 reps in street clothes with no warm up, he was a monster 6'5" 400lbs.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2006, 11:52:41 AM »

SUCKMYMUSCLE
World class powerlifters definitely do PARTIAL DEADLIFTS with >1000lbs.

an123

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2006, 11:54:38 AM »

SUCKMYMUSCLE

He said partial deadlifts.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2006, 11:56:29 AM »
The most impressive thing I've ever seen at the gym was two BIG juiced out, crazy motherfVckers throwing plates at each other across the gym because one guy banged the other guy's slut. This was in the long defunct EAST COAST GYM around 1984.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2006, 12:01:27 PM »
The 100 db curls reminded me of Kazmaier warming up with the 100's.  Like it was nothing.  I couldn't warmup with that but I did end up doing the hammers with him at 130 lbs.  He was strrong as hell in the gym.  405 on the bench I swear looked like 135 to anyone else.  I too have seen guys unload the leg press all on one side and it falls over.  My nipple getting pinched off was a huge event in my gym since I was screaming my head off after I did it.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2006, 12:05:44 PM »
i was training some strongman events at a gym we used to go to and tried the farmers walk for the first time with 225 in each hand and picked them up and got about 6 feet with them, haha, then a couple of guys who had been training these events for a while picked them up like they were nothing and literally started running with them, i couldn't believe it, they fininshed a 120 meter course with them in 18 seconds.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2006, 12:08:07 PM »
I saw an elderly gentleman lift his very old balls off the changin' room carpet.

Standing up. No hands.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2006, 12:25:40 PM »
The 100 db curls reminded me of Kazmaier warming up with the 100's.  Like it was nothing.  I couldn't warmup with that but I did end up doing the hammers with him at 130 lbs.  He was strrong as hell in the gym.  405 on the bench I swear looked like 135 to anyone else.  I too have seen guys unload the leg press all on one side and it falls over.  My nipple getting pinched off was a huge event in my gym since I was screaming my head off after I did it.

LOLOLOL!?!?!!?!?   HOW THE FVCK DID YOU MANAGE THAT!!??!!!

Big_D

• Getbig IV
  • CockDees without the drugs!
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2006, 12:29:43 PM »
I saw this guy in my gym last week who was about 235-240 who benched 500lbs. He is juicing but it was still impressive.
Dont hate playa

LLES

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2006, 12:52:16 PM »
He said partial deadlifts.

Thank you for pointing out what that walking queef obliviously didn't read.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2006, 01:19:56 PM »
I saw this dude doing leg presses and shoulder presses at the same time, as instructed by his "Personal Trainer."
HAHA, RON.....

BGSLVOWNR

• Getbig II
  • EVEN THE MIGHTY OAK STARTS AS AN ACORN
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2006, 01:36:49 PM »
THERE IS A KID WHO ONLY APPEARS TO WEIGH ABOUT 215 LBS AND IS NATURAL AND SQUATS OVER 700 LBS (PARALLEL) AT MY GYM. THAT'S PROBABLY THE GNARLIEST WEIGHT I HAVE SEEN SOMEONE DO IN PERSON.
14 WORDS

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2006, 01:49:09 PM »
You say "strong," I say magician-scientist trickery! Come on now, you fellas use some sort of lever, dontcha?

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2006, 01:57:47 PM »
Yes, we physics teachers are a strong lot ;D

mine was a brilliant and eccentric lady

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2006, 03:59:31 PM »
i saw a dude doing full chins to the front with 6 45 lb plates hanging from his waist
R

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2006, 04:03:49 PM »
i saw a dude doing full chins to the front with 6 45 lb plates hanging from his waist
what?????
Jaejonna rows 125!!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2006, 04:07:28 PM »
I saw 2 high school kids, benching with a 25 pound plate on each side (95 pounds?), hanging the CHAINS off each end.  They then explained to anyone around them the importance or progressive resistance.