Author Topic: You must warm up before lifting  (Read 5629 times)

galeniko

• Getbig V
Re: You must warm up before lifting
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 11:35:36 AM »
I am 40 and what is this?

I like how guys insist on cardio after lifting because they read something online about how you can't lose fat without first depleting glycogen stores.

whats wrong with that,it makes sense in more than 1 way.

you hardly wanna do 40minutes of exhausting cardio first and then powerless follow up with the weight training.

the fattest ppl in the gyms are exactly the ones who do it the other way around(cardio first)

me, i warm up with cardio, am fasted anyway, then weights then bit cardio.

shredded day in day out 8)
n

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2013, 11:37:14 AM »
"15 minutes to warm up? Does a lion warm up when he's hungry? 'Uh oh, here comes an antelope. Better warm up.' No! He just goes out there and eats the sucker." Jack Lalane

well if we going to compare us to animal kingdom, some animals do extremly retarded things.

dogs eating own vomit, pigs eating own shit.

also the lion is not gonna do arms supersets :D
n

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2013, 11:39:33 AM »
We spend at least 20min doing this before we even touch a weight.
yah takes a while to get all that subcutane water warmed up :)
n

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2013, 11:56:48 AM »
you are a fucking idiot.
arent all of you clowns on steroids?   ;)

spidey007

• Getbig II
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2013, 12:10:33 PM »
whats wrong with that,it makes sense in more than 1 way.

you hardly wanna do 40minutes of exhausting cardio first and then powerless follow up with the weight training.

the fattest ppl in the gyms are exactly the ones who do it the other way around(cardio first)

me, i warm up with cardio, am fasted anyway, then weights then bit cardio.

shredded day in day out 8)

x2.  It baffles me the people I see hop on the treadmill and get their cardio in, then attempt to lift weights.  It's backwards.  I generally go in in a fasted state too.  I'm also shredded.  And natty. 

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2013, 02:13:11 PM »
x2.  It baffles me the people I see hop on the treadmill and get their cardio in, then attempt to lift weights.  It's backwards.  I generally go in in a fasted state too.  I'm also shredded.  And natty. 

Warmup takes less than 5-10 minutes. Spent 25 years as a competitive bike racer. My warmup evolved to 5 minutes, rolling easy then doing a series of 10 second sprints. Worked every time. And the intensity of a flat out criterium (30+ mph out of the gate) rivals anything you get in a gym lifting weights.

By the way, the old Reg Park 5x5 system started out at light weights for the first two sets, (60-80% of working set) and it seemed to work for him...

Note to Gal and Spidey - latest research shows fasting for 12+ hours (includes sleep) raises natural growth hormone incredibly high. You two are smart.

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2013, 04:11:09 PM »

Warmup takes less than 5-10 minutes. Spent 25 years as a competitive bike racer. My warmup evolved to 5 minutes, rolling easy then doing a series of 10 second sprints. Worked every time. And the intensity of a flat out criterium (30+ mph out of the gate) rivals anything you get in a gym lifting weights.

By the way, the old Reg Park 5x5 system started out at light weights for the first two sets, (60-80% of working set) and it seemed to work for him...

Note to Gal and Spidey - latest research shows fasting for 12+ hours (includes sleep) raises natural growth hormone incredibly high. You two are smart.
yeah this is the thing, all this when to do cardio etc is bit moot.

after 10+years of training and finaly letting go of the stupidity of pre and imediate post workout meals and eat all 3 hrs, i just noticed(after huge binges i felt bad and felt it was wrong to eat 3 hrs later, so i tried to fast 24hrs afterward and tried training fasted)that the longer i consistenlty just eat nothing,no protein shakes,just nothing, the more ripped i get.

maintaing 1-2weeks out of contest shape year round, no muscle loss as long theres enough protein eaten.

i read when fasted, the hormone glucagon takes over,instead of insulin and then comes the gh release etc.

the only 1 thing that i regret about it is that i didnt figure out this much earlier.

n

TheShape

• Getbig III
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2013, 04:17:44 PM »

The only realistic warm up I know of, and also just getting your joints ready by moving them around.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2013, 01:02:37 AM »
I know I'm supposed to do dynamic warmup, foam roll, etc.....but I just.....don't that often.

eh???!!

foam roll before you train????

nonononono

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2013, 02:34:27 AM »
Ingrained at a young age to warm up properly. Still I have gym injuries. Sometimes shit just happens.
A

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2013, 02:37:08 AM »
x2.  It baffles me the people I see hop on the treadmill and get their cardio in, then attempt to lift weights.  It's backwards.  I generally go in in a fasted state too.  I'm also shredded.  And natty.  

I can't workout totally fasted I'll go hypo. I usually dilute some gaderade and sip while training.
A

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2013, 02:44:29 AM »
I used to laugh at the idea of pre-exhausting exercises. Now I use them when needs be.
A

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2013, 02:53:20 AM »
You must

I usually do the exercise without weights for many reps and I also add crunches before dead lift and squats.

I wish everybody who had gotten injured or pulled or ripped a muscle or tendon had reached this discipline in at least your 30s.

Many people compensate with working out real heavy and a lot, almost every day, but that is just mental weakness and compensation for liking to be delusionaly puffy and eat a lot of crap food and supplements. It's better to just do it right instead, lower calories and still lift only most efficient workouts instead of mental workouts and throw that stupid shit out. Only when this is mastered you had the bravery and natural test production to man up.

Why don't you warm up punk?

Why do you eat so much supplements punk?

Why do you inject yourself punk?

Leave childhood douchebane!

Pull your pants up hebbrew!

spidey007

• Getbig II
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2013, 06:29:27 AM »
Agree with Gal.

I've been a bodybuilder naturally for just over 22 years now.  I"ve done it all, seen it all, tried it all again.  Eating a meal every 3 hours is bunk.  It makes you FAT.  Period.  No one  ever eats just a few calories every 3 hours.  It turns into a huge calorie surplus.

I did the perma bulk thing for years and added a ton of muscle mass as well as fat.  I filled out the XXL shirts and looked big, but not muscular.  I'm now older and actually want to look great with my shirt off and don't care about benching 315 anymore.  I want to look good for confidence and women.  AND fitting into clothes properly.  I can't tell you how much nicer it is to have clothes that fit correctly instead of strangely bc of size.

For breakfast I have ONE scope of whey in almond milk and some mixed nuts.  Then for lunch I do protein (usually just a can of tuna in oil) and veggies.  That's at about noon.  I then lift at 530 having not eaten since noon.  I hit weights, then cardio.  Then home at about 7 to eat something light, mostly protien and veggies again.  VERY little carbs in my diet.  

I've gone from a muscular/fat 240 to a RIPPED solid 175.  I can't tell you how many people have asked what I'm on now.  It's funny that all that bodyfat loss makes ALL the difference in the world in appearances.  Yes, i'm weaker, but really..  do I care?  No.  I look great now.  

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2013, 06:32:09 AM »

eh???!!

foam roll before you train????

nonononono

Yeah isn't that comparable to doing static stretching pre workout >>>> a HUGE NO NO

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2013, 07:01:17 AM »
Agree with Gal.

I've been a bodybuilder naturally for just over 22 years now.  I"ve done it all, seen it all, tried it all again.  Eating a meal every 3 hours is bunk.  It makes you FAT.  Period.  No one  ever eats just a few calories every 3 hours.  It turns into a huge calorie surplus.

I did the perma bulk thing for years and added a ton of muscle mass as well as fat.  I filled out the XXL shirts and looked big, but not muscular.  I'm now older and actually want to look great with my shirt off and don't care about benching 315 anymore.  I want to look good for confidence and women.  AND fitting into clothes properly.  I can't tell you how much nicer it is to have clothes that fit correctly instead of strangely bc of size.

For breakfast I have ONE scope of whey in almond milk and some mixed nuts.  Then for lunch I do protein (usually just a can of tuna in oil) and veggies.  That's at about noon.  I then lift at 530 having not eaten since noon.  I hit weights, then cardio.  Then home at about 7 to eat something light, mostly protien and veggies again.  VERY little carbs in my diet.  

I've gone from a muscular/fat 240 to a RIPPED solid 175.  I can't tell you how many people have asked what I'm on now.  It's funny that all that bodyfat loss makes ALL the difference in the world in appearances.  Yes, i'm weaker, but really..  do I care?  No.  I look great now.  
yah, im alot weaker than my permabulkers days too, the strenght kinda shines through when i had rest days and ate a shitton of food, but not even interested in going for strenght.

btw i did like 6meals daily for a while small six meals, was shredded too but just not THAT shredded, def difference.

haha i was thinking "but i can eat any less or id have to start skipping meals"(affraid of catabolism haha),then i just skiped some and got even leaner.

strengh should only be built initialy,later on you use that to focus on full rom and proper movement, the 1 time being bulke in life is bit necesity,but were both long beyond that.

cheers,  :D
n

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2013, 07:17:23 AM »
Yeah isn't that comparable to doing static stretching pre workout >>>> a HUGE NO NO

here's my warmup..10 minutes on the elliptical/rower..with a sweater on to get warm. followed by about 5 minutes (don't time it) of various hamstring/groin/lower back stretches. I find that getting my lower body loose just kinda wakes up my whole body. then I loosen the upper body by swinging around a pair of 5 pound plates...controlled, nothing ballistic

Then it's at least two sets of very light weight whatever the first exercise is.  Never had a serious gym injury, knock wood. And I think I get better workouts. I'm fully awake and engaged...I'm not sleepwalking into the gym at 6 AM and getting under 225 pounds with one eye open. that never made any sense to me.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2013, 07:28:46 AM »
here's my warmup..10 minutes on the elliptical/rower..with a sweater on to get warm. followed by about 5 minutes (don't time it) of various hamstring/groin/lower back stretches. I find that getting my lower body loose just kinda wakes up my whole body. then I loosen the upper body by swinging around a pair of 5 pound plates...controlled, nothing ballistic

Then it's at least two sets of very light weight whatever the first exercise is.  Never had a serious gym injury, knock wood. And I think I get better workouts. I'm fully awake and engaged...I'm not sleepwalking into the gym at 6 AM and getting under 225 pounds with one eye open. that never made any sense to me.

Sounds great, similar to my own, except I don't stretch at all, just quick cardio and tons of warm up sets

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2013, 07:38:19 AM »
Sounds great, similar to my own, except I don't stretch at all, just quick cardio and tons of warm up sets

Not stretching is gay

:D. I have tight hams and groin. .always have...so I gotta work to stay flexible.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2013, 07:43:46 AM »
Not stretching is gay

:D. I have tight hams and groin. .always have...so I gotta work to stay flexible.

Oh I do, just post WO, never prior. Mobility is key, otherwise we'll look like Cswol waddling around the gym  :D

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2013, 09:00:13 AM »

Pre workout Foam rolling comparable to static stretching?  I don't think so.  Coach, please weigh in.
Y

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2013, 09:20:42 AM »
Pre workout Foam rolling comparable to static stretching?  I don't think so.  Coach, please weigh in.

In the sense of breaking down/stretching fascia and  muscle fibers.

Should THAT be the goal prior to exercise? Or post? My gut says POST.

Same concept as to why you don't want a deep tissue massage before a lift. Muscle tone provides exceptional stability needed for resistance exercise.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2013, 09:38:17 AM »
Reading the title of the thread, I thought of posting something similar to what uberman said actually.

I warm up a lot, sometimes I prepare for an hour before my heavy sets. I have a lot of injuries
and whenever I mention these to some newbie in the gym I always get the same comment, "didn't you warm up and stretch before?" My answer is that you can warm up as much as you want but if you keep adding weight, at some point something will give. Doesn't matter how much you warm-up, once the load exceeds the strength of your tendon it will rip. :D

I believe warming up, stretching, using liniments etc can reduce chance of injury but the protective effect may be overstated. Most important I believe is to address muscular imbalances. For example, my hamstring injuries may have been brought on by relatively weak glutes. That sort of thing.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2013, 09:41:44 AM »
I am not going to warm up never had a injury.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2013, 11:03:29 AM »
I am not going to warm up never had a injury.

thought you injured your back when you pulled 6 bills without warm-up in order to impress others in your gym, or maybe it was someone else ???