Author Topic: what-makes-people-fat-its-not-obvious  (Read 3174 times)

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
what-makes-people-fat-its-not-obvious
« on: November 07, 2013, 07:12:42 AM »
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/what-makes-people-fat-it-s-not-obvious-1.1585786

There are two competing theories to explain the causes of obesity, and they are about to be tested

The conventional explanation of obesity (the thermodynamic hypothesis) is the intake of more food calories than are burned off, with storage of the excess calories in the body as fat. But this theory is silent on how ingested calories are handled in the body.
Hormonal activity encourages the conversion of ingested carbohydrate calories into fat, and many scientists think this is a major cause of obesity – the hormone hypothesis.

Gary Taubes describes the competing hypotheses (Scientific American, September 2013) and outlines an experiment that will weigh the relative contributions of each to obesity.
Normally, body cells generate most of their energy by chemically burning glucose. When food intake is restricted, the body relies more and more on burning its fat reserves to generate energy.

The principal dietary sources of glucose are sugars, starches and grains. Blood glucose level rises after a meal containing carbohydrates, and the more easily they are digested the faster and greater the glucose rise. Refined carbohydrate (for example, white bread and white rice) is digested to glucose more easily than unrefined (for example, wholegrain), and the presence of fibre and fat in food slows down the rise in blood glucose.
The hormone insulin is secreted into the blood in response to raised blood glucose. It prompts the cells to absorb the glucose from the blood and burn it as fuel. It also prompts the body’s fat-storage cells to convert glucose into fat and inhibits the mobilisation of stored fat from these fat depots to be burned as fuel.
The higher the concentration of insulin in the blood, and the longer it remains high, the greater the impetus to accumulate fat – this is the basis for the hormone hypothesis. A diet high in sugars and refined carbohydrates will consistently trap a small fraction of ingested carbohydrate as fat in the body and, over time, will produce an obese individual.

Testing the hypotheses
Surprisingly, the two competing hypotheses have never been rigorously tested to see which is true (or truer). Taubes proposes to do this test. Sixteen overweight or obese subjects will be closely studied for months.
Their food intake (average American diet: 50 per cent carbohydrate, 35 per cent fat and 15 per cent protein) will first be adjusted until the participants are neither gaining nor losing fat.
In the second stage of the experiment the diet will be changed to a regime designed to reduce insulin levels quickly. Total calorie intake will remain unchanged, but the carbohydrate fraction will be reduced to 5 per cent. The protein content will stay at 15 per cent of the calories, with fat comprising the remaining 80 per cent – fat does not induce insulin secretion.

If the thermodynamic hypothesis is true, subjects will neither gain nor lose weight on the low carbohydrate diet – a calorie is a calorie and that’s that. But if the hormone hypothesis is right, they will lose weight and fat, indicating that a carbohydrate calorie is more fattening than a calorie from protein or fat.
If the thermodynamic hypothesis is correct, the solution to obesity is a combination of reduced food intake and increased exercise. If the hormone hypothesis is correct, the solution is to reduce intake of calories in the form of the sugars and refined carbohydrates that raise insulin levels. The body should then switch to burning fat stores for energy.

William Reville is an emeritus professor of Biochemistry and public awareness of science officer at UCC. understandingscience.ucc .ie
c

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
Re: what-makes-people-fat-its-not-obvious
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 10:17:34 AM »
Carbs affect everyone differently but these fat bastards are eating too much food period.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 01:13:17 AM »
Carbs affect everyone differently but these fat bastards are eating too much food period.

"Carbs affect everyone differently"  --Bullshit

"these fat bastards are eating too much food period"  --Bang on

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 04:15:24 AM »

"Carbs affect everyone differently"  --Bullshit

"these fat bastards are eating too much food period"  --Bang on

I don't know man....I switch to mostly carb based diet, equal calories, my body composition starts changing for the worse. Not morbidly obese, but I've come to the conclusion my body doesn't handle carbs as well as other people seeing what other guys here get away with. There is something to insulin resistance/sensitivity from my experience its not complete b.s.

Don't you follow a low carb diet year round?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 04:20:09 AM »
Don't you follow a low carb diet year round?

sort of... i focus on eating quality food... lots of cruciferous veggies and meat as well as good fat sources...

i avoid processed foods but do eat carb sources like yam/potatoes/whole grain rice/10 grain rice/oats

total carb load is probably 100-150g/day

not to say that i do not eat shit once in a while but i try to make that a monthly occurrence rather than weekly

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 04:44:55 AM »

sort of... i focus on eating quality food... lots of cruciferous veggies and meat as well as good fat sources...

i avoid processed foods but do eat carb sources like yam/potatoes/whole grain rice/10 grain rice/oats

total carb load is probably 100-150g/day

not to say that i do not eat shit once in a while but i try to make that a monthly occurrence rather than weekly

I have the odd carb/junk meltdown myself cause its hard to eat clean 100% of the time but I couldn't imagine feeding myself like that all the time. There's a lot of reasons why people get fat and very few are due to metabolic issues but you know...eating the way someone like me and you do is not exactly cheap. You take a walk through the grocery store and the cheapest stuff is also the most processed garbage with little nutritional value.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 06:20:30 PM »

Nothing wrong with that.

You've gotta "live" too, brother!
 8)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 11:04:29 PM »
Adonis Principles on trial!  :o

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 07:51:15 AM »
the old adage of ' you never see any obese concentration camp victims'  comes to mind when ever i read such articles

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 01:33:50 PM »
I have the odd carb/junk meltdown myself cause its hard to eat clean 100% of the time but I couldn't imagine feeding myself like that all the time. There's a lot of reasons why people get fat and very few are due to metabolic issues but you know...eating the way someone like me and you do is not exactly cheap. You take a walk through the grocery store and the cheapest stuff is also the most processed garbage with little nutritional value.

for me if i'm gonna pig out i'll make some homemade chicken wings or pork ribs o nthe grill and eat a shitload along with some good veges.... fast food is a rarity... doesnt taste as good as the other stuff i mentioned anyway

i never buy processed shit like frozen pizzas or crap like tha... ever... if i want pizza at home i make from scratch or i go out to a good restaurant and have quality fresh pizza

Nothing wrong with that.

You've gotta "live" too, brother!
 8)

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 01:46:05 PM »
for me if i'm gonna pig out i'll make some homemade chicken wings or pork ribs o nthe grill and eat a shitload along with some good veges.... fast food is a rarity... doesnt taste as good as the other stuff i mentioned anyway

i never buy processed shit like frozen pizzas or crap like tha... ever... if i want pizza at home i make from scratch or i go out to a good restaurant and have quality fresh pizza

Man, you know how to eat!

I'm not big on fast food either but I'm a sucker for those 2 bite brownies and those rolo flavoured milk shakes by nestle.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 02:28:56 PM »
Man, you know how to eat!

I'm not big on fast food either but I'm a sucker for those 2 bite brownies and those rolo flavoured milk shakes by nestle.

i don't do sweets much... just not my favorite foods... i bake a homemade desert once a week but it's usually something rich

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 03:13:53 PM »

i don't do sweets much... just not my favorite foods... i bake a homemade desert once a week but it's usually something rich

What options did you have for protein when you were in India?

Is it possible to get beef...on the black market  ???

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 06:20:41 PM »
What options did you have for protein when you were in India?

Is it possible to get beef...on the black market  ???

depends where... i ate a lot of chicken and eggs

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 06:22:41 PM »
lack of training and activity.

with training, you can eat bit more.

and they simply overeat.

overeating is easy done,esp with carbs.

ppl dont know or dont care when their glycogen sotres are full.

and then overeat, then become insulin resistent very very fast and there you are,in a vicious cycle.

n

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 06:34:36 PM »
the old adage of ' you never see any obese concentration camp victims'  comes to mind when ever i read such articles
yah i doubt there were many diabetics type 2 there either
n

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 12:01:48 PM »
Sounds like the Atkins diet vs Conventional diet.... Moneys on the low carb

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 07:11:08 PM »
Sounds like the Atkins diet vs Conventional diet.... Moneys on the low carb
yah ofcourse.

full keto isnt even needed.

but everyone who doesnt work out in some way or does hard physical labour and is eating carbs(not even so much), will run into all kind of problems eventualy
n