Author Topic: Homeless Vet Scam before Veterans Day?  (Read 672 times)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Homeless Vet Scam before Veterans Day?
« on: November 08, 2013, 02:14:02 PM »
This morning I'm getting off the freeway and I see this guy begging for money.  he was wearing an olive green t-shirt and blue jeans.  Tucked behind him was a red and white backpack.  He had a sign stating he was a Vet and needed money.  Then later on today I see another guy on a different corner asking for change, he's wearing the same outfit and had a sign stating he was a Vet.  Later on I see a different guy , same outfit and stop at the red light next to him.  He has a crutch under his arm and asking for money because he was a war Vet.  I looked at his face and saw he had a beard but this beard was nicely trimmed.  He had straight lines in his beard.  I'm not sure where homeless guys would take the time to trim their beard lines.  On my way back home I see the first guy near the freeway at the bus stop talking on his iPhone.  I knew it was him because of the red and white backpack.  if he was homeless begging for change, how much do you think he pays per month for his IPhone?

This made me think this is a total scam trying to leverage Veteran's day and the generosity of people in giving out money to war Vets.  It seemed to me these fuckers are running a scam trying to milk as much cash as they can this weekend.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: Homeless Vet Scam before Veterans Day?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 02:31:18 PM »
Someone promoting himself as being more deserving of help for any reason, including being a vet, would make me less sympathetic.  My reasons are my own and if I want to give someone money then I will.  I don't like someone telling me I should give them money because of X, with the implication that if I don't I'm somehow a bad person. 

Same goes for the give to charity guilt trip.  Just because I don't give money for cancer research or children born without elbows doesn't mean I'm a big fan of cancer or using stiff armed kids for target practice.

And if the guy has all 4 limbs still attached, forget it.  Doesn't matter how many flags he wraps himself up in.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 04:20:12 PM »
This one seem too organized to use the sympathy of the upcoming veterans day holiday

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 04:26:09 PM »
whats his getbig handle?
n

SquidVicious

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 04:29:12 PM »
Was it an iPhone 4s or 5s? Obamaphones are always a generation behind so if it was a 4s he was really homeless.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 04:34:01 PM »
Was it an iPhone 4s or 5s? Obamaphones are always a generation behind so if it was a 4s he was really homeless.

I never asked. It was obviously some sort of smart phone though, galaxy, iphone, whatever.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 04:34:43 PM »
whats his getbig handle?

My guess it was Shizzo, analholic and donny