Author Topic: UC Berkeley Student Government Bans Term ‘Illegal Immigrant’  (Read 711 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
UC Berkeley Student Government Bans Term ‘Illegal Immigrant’
« on: November 09, 2013, 06:46:45 PM »
Hahahahahahaha....

*Note to self. Even if offered, don't send my kid to UC Berkely

The UC Berkeley student government has banned the term “illegal immigrant” from its discourse, deeming the phrase racist, offensive, unfair and derogatory.

In an unanimous vote, student senators passed a resolution that stated the word “illegal” is “racially charged,” “dehumanizes” people, and contributes to “punitive and discriminatory actions aimed primarily at immigrants and communities of color.”

The “resolution in support of drop the I-word campaign” was approved 18 to 0 with one abstention on Oct. 30, according to a copy of the meeting’s minutes obtained by The College Fix.

Its approval marks at least the second time this semester that a public university’s student government has voted to eradicate the phrase. UCLA passed a nearly identical measure in late August.

There are an estimated 900 students in the country illegally who are currently enrolled in the 10-campus, University of California system, according to UC officials. These students live in “fear” because former Homeland Security secretary Janet Napolitano is now president of the UC system, according to the resolution, which aims to “create a safe campus environment for all students.”

“The ‘I’ word is legally inaccurate since being out of status is a civil rather than criminal infraction,” states the resolution, which notes some journalists have stopped using the term.

“No human being is illegal,” the resolution continues. “ ‘Foreign nationals,’ ‘undocumented immigrants,’ ‘immigrants without papers’ and ‘immigrants seeking status’ are examples of terms we can use that do not dehumanize people.”

The resolution also calls for administrators and faculty to attend an “UndocuAlly training workshop.”

Several student senators praised the resolution, the meeting’s minutes state.

Student Sen. Wendy Pacheco said it was not just symbolic, but aimed to shift how people see their “fellow human beings,” that it’s not OK for someone to feel comfortable calling another “illegal,” while student Sen. Sean Tan said discouraging the word will help ease the negative psychological harm undocumented students face by the label.

The lone abstention came from student Sen. Solomon Nwoche.

Nwoche said while he sympathized with the situation, he thinks the resolution does not accomplish anything substantial. He added he was disappointed in how a student who spoke against the resolution at an earlier meeting was treated by student senators, who laughed or had their backs turned when the lone protestor addressed the dais.

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/15260/

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Re: UC Berkeley Student Government Bans Term ‘Illegal Immigrant’
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 09:45:49 PM »
If if there is a law that states one cannot cross the border illegally, and they do it, then they are illegally here, correct?

I do believe in humanity, and treating people  humanely, but this has nothing to do about the treatment of people, but  what is the end game?
Is this about people's "feelings", or is this about guilt?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 09:55:21 PM »
If if there is a law that states one cannot cross the border illegally, and they do it, then they are illegally here, correct?

I do believe in humanity, and treating people  humanely, but this has nothing to do about the treatment of people, but  what is the end game?
Is this about people's "feelings", or is this about guilt?

and "Immigrant" means to migrate..no? If they migrated here from another country would they not be considered an "immigrant? "Illegal immigrant".

It is what it is. The twisted minds of liberal thinking. ZERO commonsense.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 11:57:58 PM »
A ban on both free speech AND reality. What a bunch of libtards.
A

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 04:41:44 AM »
They're saying they think using "undocumented immigrant" would be more accurate and less offensive than saying "illegal immigrant".   Why would getbiggers care about this?  The terms are equally easy to say, I think. 

On a related note, as a dude who identifies with being white, I honestly don't see that much difference between the terms "Asian" and "Oriental", so I don't mind saying whichever one is deemed to be more proper at the time.  Words cost me nothing, after all.

The whole "in violation of civil reg's" vs "illegal" argument would only seem worthwhile to a bunch of hair-splitting mofo's like folks attending UCB are likely to be, anyway.  So let 'em use whatever language they want, I say.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 05:53:03 AM »
They're saying they think using "undocumented immigrant" would be more accurate and less offensive than saying "illegal immigrant".   Why would getbiggers care about this?  The terms are equally easy to say, I think. 

On a related note, as a dude who identifies with being white, I honestly don't see that much difference between the terms "Asian" and "Oriental", so I don't mind saying whichever one is deemed to be more proper at the time.  Words cost me nothing, after all.

The whole "in violation of civil reg's" vs "illegal" argument would only seem worthwhile to a bunch of hair-splitting mofo's like folks attending UCB are likely to be, anyway.  So let 'em use whatever language they want, I say.

So they can use what language they want, you can use what language you want (ie: orientals) yet others arent free to use the appropriate legal term to describe the illegal immigrants.  Gotcha. 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 07:05:27 AM »
So they can use what language they want, you can use what language you want (ie: orientals) yet others arent free to use the appropriate legal term to describe the illegal immigrants.  Gotcha. 

Who are these "others" who can't use the language they want? 

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 07:25:03 AM »
Who are these "others" who can't use the language they want? 

Evidently every student at Berkley who doesnt agree with this.  California is so fucked. 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 07:47:27 AM »
Evidently every student at Berkley who doesnt agree with this.  California is so fucked. 
'

The student government at UCB controls the language of every student?  How would they enforce that?  I call BS.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 11:52:32 AM »
Does not surprise me. 

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 01:04:41 PM »
Its not just them..the democratic party has implemented this as well a while back.  They will no longer refer to them as 'illegal immigrants', only things like 'undocumented citizens' and crap like that. If you have noticed, the majority of the media no longer uses that wording either. Political correctness above all. Just like how they made a concerted effort to refer to all the muslims rioting destroying cities in europe only as 'youths'. And if blacks murder whites in ridiculously racist confrontations the media only calls them 'youths'.

All part of the agenda.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 05:03:48 PM »
'

The student government at UCB controls the language of every student?  How would they enforce that?  I call BS.
it controls the professors, books and teaching material of its professors.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 05:07:27 PM »
They're saying they think using "undocumented immigrant" would be more accurate and less offensive than saying "illegal immigrant".   Why would getbiggers care about this?  The terms are equally easy to say, I think.  

On a related note, as a dude who identifies with being white, I honestly don't see that much difference between the terms "Asian" and "Oriental", so I don't mind saying whichever one is deemed to be more proper at the time.  Words cost me nothing, after all.

The whole "in violation of civil reg's" vs "illegal" argument would only seem worthwhile to a bunch of hair-splitting mofo's like folks attending UCB are likely to be, anyway.  So let 'em use whatever language they want, I say.

Asian refers to people, oriental to objects.  Not all things in Asia are oriental.   As for the term illegal immigrant, it's accurate.  They are illegally in the United States therefore they are illegal immigrants.  The more offensive part of the phrase is thr immigrant part.  Illegal trespassers would be a more appropriate term.
A

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 05:37:18 PM »
it controls the professors, books and teaching material of its professors.

Link, untrustworthy one.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 05:45:54 PM »
Asian refers to people, oriental to objects.  Not all things in Asia are oriental.   As for the term illegal immigrant, it's accurate.  They are illegally in the United States therefore they are illegal immigrants.  The more offensive part of the phrase is thr immigrant part.  Illegal trespassers would be a more appropriate term.

Yeah, OK, I agree.  I have no legal training so to me, illegal is illegal without respect to the level of, uh, illegality.  The civil violation vs criminal violation argument is over my head. I'll just not say "wetback", ok? lol

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 05:48:36 PM »
Yeah, OK, I agree.  I have no legal training so to me, illegal is illegal without respect to the level of, uh, illegality.  The civil violation vs criminal violation argument is over my head. I'll just not say "wetback", ok? lol

Wet back is a gross generalization, some come by land, others by underground tunnel and many by truck.  They are quite dry when he arrive.
A

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 07:21:27 AM »
'

The student government at UCB controls the language of every student?  How would they enforce that?  I call BS.
Are you really this dense or what?

You can't see that this is the first step before no one is allowed to use the term. As someone already pointed out, Democrats in their literature don't use it. Same thing with most newspapers. It is as it has been for a long time. Political correctness run amok.

Don't act like there aren't any restraints imposed by libtards on freedom of speech.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 07:26:46 AM »
I don't see the problem with the term.

Illegal immigrants are not citizens. They don't have a right to be here. They are NOT in the same legal standing as a citizen.

The democrats are the ones arguing a point that is not true. An illegal immigrants does not and should not have the same rights as a citizen. It doesn't mean that they should be mistreated, abused or killed. But when caught, they should be deported no matter what. Just like all foreign countries do.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 02:37:50 PM »
Its not just them..the democratic party has implemented this as well a while back.  They will no longer refer to them as 'illegal immigrants', only things like 'undocumented citizens' and crap like that. If you have noticed, the majority of the media no longer uses that wording either. Political correctness above all. Just like how they made a concerted effort to refer to all the muslims rioting destroying cities in europe only as 'youths'. And if blacks murder whites in ridiculously racist confrontations the media only calls them 'youths'.

All part of the agenda.
And if you ever notice that the news keeps on using "11 million undocumented"...like that number hasn't lessened or grown since it came out about 5 yrs or so....It could be 5 million or it could be 20 million...

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 03:17:32 PM »
Are you really this dense or what?

You can't see that this is the first step before no one is allowed to use the term. As someone already pointed out, Democrats in their literature don't use it. Same thing with most newspapers. It is as it has been for a long time. Political correctness run amok.

Don't act like there aren't any restraints imposed by libtards on freedom of speech.

What's "this" dense?  What are you talking about?  Are you really such a fuckwit that it's too much trouble for you to explain what you mean?

I'll rephrase:  No matter what the student government at UCB says about the language it prefers, there's no way they can stop students from expressing themselves with words in any way they want.  And the student will face no meaningful repercussions.  How am I dense for saying this?  The sky is NOT falling, Henny-Penny.

I'm pretty sure that students walking on campus at UCB can sprinkle their speech with the term "illegal immigrant" and nothing will happen other maybe some eavesdropping busybody might try to give them a lecture about cultural sensitivity.  Doesn't sound too scary to me.