Author Topic: The Dark side of devout Religious PARENTS !  (Read 2574 times)

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
The Dark side of devout Religious PARENTS !
« on: November 12, 2013, 12:39:17 AM »
Adoptive parents of Ethiopian girl who died of hypothermia and starvation in their backyard found GUILTY of manslaughter

• Larry and Carri Williams of Sedro-Woolley, Washington were found guilty of neglecting, abusing, and ultimately killing 13-year-old Hana Williams
  • The couple left Hana to die from hypothermia and starvation in their backyard in May 2011
  • Step-brother Immanuel testified he and Hana were beaten with sticks, hosed down, forced to eat frozen food and locked in closets as punishment

A Washington state couple were convicted of manslaughter Monday in the gruesome starvation and hypothermia death of a teenage girl they adopted from Ethiopia.
A jury found Larry Williams, of Sedro-Woolley, guilty of first-degree manslaughter, while his wife, Carri Williams, was found guilty of homicide by abuse as well as manslaughter. The jury also convicted them both of assault and each faces a possible life sentence.

Hana Williams died in May 2011 in the backyard of the couple's home, where she was forced to stay as part of a strict system of child-rearing outlined in a Christian parenting book.

An autopsy showed that Hana died of hypothermia that was aggravated by chronic gastritis and malnutrition.
Her bone-thin body was covered in bruises, including a lump on her shaved head, and red bloody markings on her hips, elbows and face.
Defense lawyers argued that questionable parenting practices don't necessarily amount to a crime.

Hana is believed to have been 13, but no documentation of her birth in Ethiopia was available. The trial was postponed several times and her body was exhumed in January.

The jury began deliberating last week. On Monday, they announced their decision to convict both the Williams' of first degree manslaughter.

The couple left their 13-year-old Hana, to starve and die in the cold after brutally punishing her and her step-brother, Immanuel.

Immanuel, now 12 years old, testified during the trial that the Williamses beat him and Hana with belts and switches.

The parents kept the family isolated from non-relatives, home-schooled the children and followed strict religious principles described in the Christian parenting book titled ‘To Train Up a Child,’ investigators said.

As punishment for bad behaviour, the teen told the court that he and his step-sister were fed frozen meals, hosed down and forced to sleep in closets, where they would listen to recordings of the Bible on tape and Christian music.

In his testimony, the 12-year-old told the court that his adopted parents would beat him with a stick until blood was running down his face.
Other disciplinary measures included having Immanuel hosed down in the yard for bed-wetting and keeping him and Hana outside in the cold.

Joseph was called to the stand to describe the night of May 12, 2011, when his 13-year-old adopted sister died.

Joseph Williams told the court that after Hana died while sitting in the yard in 40-degree weather, his mother instructed him to bring the girl's body inside, where she performed CPR and called 911.

The mother of nine said on the call that her daughter Hana 'has killed herself.'

When asked by the 911 dispatcher why she believed her daughter had taken her own life, Williams said that the girl was not breathing and lying face down in the mud after refusing to come indoors,

Calling Hana 'rebellious,' the mother said that she had seen the 13-year-old throwing herself to the ground and staggering about the yard after taking her clothes off.

A local weather station reported that the temperature that night was 42 degrees.
First responders arrived just after midnight and rushed Hana to Skagit Valley Hospital, where she was pronounced dead an hour later.

An autopsy report concluded that the girl died from hypothermia, with malnutrition and chronic gastritis as contributing factors. According to the girl’s medical records, between 2009 and 2011, she had lost nearly 30lbs and was short for her age.

Larry and Carri Williams were arrested September 29, 2011, on charges of homicide by abuse in connection with their daughter's death, and first-degree assault of a child stemming from mistreatment of Immanuel.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2416514/Hana-Williams-Washington-adoptive-parents-Larry-Carri-Williams-GUILTY-manslaughter.html
V

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
Re: The Dark side of devout Religious PARENTS !
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 12:59:27 AM »
 The book 'To Train Up a Child'  has been implicated in the beating deaths of two other adoptees—an American boy in North Carolina and a Liberian girl in California; the prosecuting attorney in the latter case, Michael Ramsey, called it “truly an evil book.”
V

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 01:58:37 AM »
A schoolgirl has killed herself because she was desperate to be reunited with her dead father in heaven.

Maria Kislo, 12, was discovered hanging in her room by her mother Monika, 35, when she went to read her a bedtime story.

Next to the tragic youngster's body was a short note saying: 'Dear Mum. Please don't be sad. I just miss daddy so much, I want to see him again.'

Her doting father Arek died suddenly in 2009 after a massive heart attack.
Distraught Ms Kislo, 35, from Leszno, Poland, said: 'Five years ago I lost my husband Arek, this year my daughter. I don’t know if I can go on, and I wouldn't if it was not for my son,' she said.

'She didn't seem unhappy. She didn't have problems at school and she seemed a happy little girl.
'I had no idea she missed her father so much, she never really spoke about it,' she added.

She called her son Michal, 13, who cut the body down.
But it was too late to save the schoolgirl who died at the scene.
Pictures have emerged of a smiling Maria, taken four years ago, spending time with her beloved father.
The happy looking child had been taken horse riding four years ago by her father shortly before he died.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 02:10:55 AM »
A schoolgirl has killed herself because she was desperate to be reunited with her dead father in heaven.

Maria Kislo, 12, was discovered hanging in her room by her mother Monika, 35, when she went to read her a bedtime story.

Next to the tragic youngster's body was a short note saying: 'Dear Mum. Please don't be sad. I just miss daddy so much, I want to see him again.'

Her doting father Arek died suddenly in 2009 after a massive heart attack.
Distraught Ms Kislo, 35, from Leszno, Poland, said: 'Five years ago I lost my husband Arek, this year my daughter. I don’t know if I can go on, and I wouldn't if it was not for my son,' she said.

'She didn't seem unhappy. She didn't have problems at school and she seemed a happy little girl.
'I had no idea she missed her father so much, she never really spoke about it,' she added.

She called her son Michal, 13, who cut the body down.
But it was too late to save the schoolgirl who died at the scene.
Pictures have emerged of a smiling Maria, taken four years ago, spending time with her beloved father.
The happy looking child had been taken horse riding four years ago by her father shortly before he died.

Proof that lying to children can be deadly.  They could have simply saved her life by telling her the truth.  There is no Heaven and you will never see you father again.  She may have been miserable, but the false belief that she could be reunited with her father again via her own death would have been eliminated and that option removed from the table.
V

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 04:05:55 AM »
indoctrinating a child in a religion is child abuse plain and simple...

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 06:38:29 AM »
Adoptive parents of Ethiopian girl who died of hypothermia and starvation in their backyard found GUILTY of manslaughter

• Larry and Carri Williams of Sedro-Woolley, Washington were found guilty of neglecting, abusing, and ultimately killing 13-year-old Hana Williams
  • The couple left Hana to die from hypothermia and starvation in their backyard in May 2011
  • Step-brother Immanuel testified he and Hana were beaten with sticks, hosed down, forced to eat frozen food and locked in closets as punishment

A Washington state couple were convicted of manslaughter Monday in the gruesome starvation and hypothermia death of a teenage girl they adopted from Ethiopia.
A jury found Larry Williams, of Sedro-Woolley, guilty of first-degree manslaughter, while his wife, Carri Williams, was found guilty of homicide by abuse as well as manslaughter. The jury also convicted them both of assault and each faces a possible life sentence.

Hana Williams died in May 2011 in the backyard of the couple's home, where she was forced to stay as part of a strict system of child-rearing outlined in a Christian parenting book.

An autopsy showed that Hana died of hypothermia that was aggravated by chronic gastritis and malnutrition.
Her bone-thin body was covered in bruises, including a lump on her shaved head, and red bloody markings on her hips, elbows and face.
Defense lawyers argued that questionable parenting practices don't necessarily amount to a crime.

Hana is believed to have been 13, but no documentation of her birth in Ethiopia was available. The trial was postponed several times and her body was exhumed in January.

The jury began deliberating last week. On Monday, they announced their decision to convict both the Williams' of first degree manslaughter.

The couple left their 13-year-old Hana, to starve and die in the cold after brutally punishing her and her step-brother, Immanuel.

Immanuel, now 12 years old, testified during the trial that the Williamses beat him and Hana with belts and switches.

The parents kept the family isolated from non-relatives, home-schooled the children and followed strict religious principles described in the Christian parenting book titled ‘To Train Up a Child,’ investigators said.

As punishment for bad behaviour, the teen told the court that he and his step-sister were fed frozen meals, hosed down and forced to sleep in closets, where they would listen to recordings of the Bible on tape and Christian music.

In his testimony, the 12-year-old told the court that his adopted parents would beat him with a stick until blood was running down his face.
Other disciplinary measures included having Immanuel hosed down in the yard for bed-wetting and keeping him and Hana outside in the cold.

Joseph was called to the stand to describe the night of May 12, 2011, when his 13-year-old adopted sister died.

Joseph Williams told the court that after Hana died while sitting in the yard in 40-degree weather, his mother instructed him to bring the girl's body inside, where she performed CPR and called 911.

The mother of nine said on the call that her daughter Hana 'has killed herself.'

When asked by the 911 dispatcher why she believed her daughter had taken her own life, Williams said that the girl was not breathing and lying face down in the mud after refusing to come indoors,

Calling Hana 'rebellious,' the mother said that she had seen the 13-year-old throwing herself to the ground and staggering about the yard after taking her clothes off.

A local weather station reported that the temperature that night was 42 degrees.
First responders arrived just after midnight and rushed Hana to Skagit Valley Hospital, where she was pronounced dead an hour later.

An autopsy report concluded that the girl died from hypothermia, with malnutrition and chronic gastritis as contributing factors. According to the girl’s medical records, between 2009 and 2011, she had lost nearly 30lbs and was short for her age.

Larry and Carri Williams were arrested September 29, 2011, on charges of homicide by abuse in connection with their daughter's death, and first-degree assault of a child stemming from mistreatment of Immanuel.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2416514/Hana-Williams-Washington-adoptive-parents-Larry-Carri-Williams-GUILTY-manslaughter.html
Kind of ironic she dies from starvation in the USA, after being taken out of Ethiopa! Sick pieces of shit!!!

Meaningless

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 06:45:07 AM »
There is no "bright side" to devout religious parents.

the trainer

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 06:50:36 AM »
This is not about religion these are just evil people, do you think just because somebody says they are a christian that makes them a good person, there are bad everywhere and in every sector of humanity.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 06:51:27 AM »
They are just idiots. Pure and simple.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 07:04:59 AM »
I like a news story which incites everyone who hears it to become a bloodthirsty torture machine in the cause of righteousness.  And I like the threads where people come up with the most horrific means of doing away with someone and it's universally agreed that the prolonged and painful death described is still too good for some rotten bastard.  So come on already.  Make with the homocidal ideation.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 09:20:49 AM »

E, good to see you back on the board!!

Unfortunately, nothing about that book or it's methods represents Christ from what I can tell.

dustin

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 09:33:48 AM »
That's right up there with religious parents whose kids have type I diabetes and they refuse to give them insulin. I don't mind when religious nuts die, but when their kids die it's heart breaking.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 09:36:45 AM »
Oddly enough, I was just reading about this particular book.  There have been a few death attributed to the teachings in this book. 
A

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 09:51:29 AM »
I've always subscribed to following in terms of my faith and "healing" in that God has provided 3 types:

1) Divine healing that some folks would interpret as a miracle (ex: Jesus healing the blind on the streets)
2) Ability within the body to heal itself as set forth by the creator (ex: the body being able to heal itself from a cold or flu with no outside assistance)
3) Healing via continually improving medical science via the gifts of knowledge, discernment and understanding that God has imparted to members of the scientific and medical community (LOL, we ain't all brainiacs....especially theists!!  ;) ).

Certainly this isn't an exhaustive list, but general categories as I see it.

I agree with you and it is ridiculous.  As a believers we're entrusted with the whole of creation and that which is developed threrein.   I've never grasped the link that some believers make between taking advantage of medical technology and therefore having a lack of faith LOL....feels like a nonsequitor to me.

I also like how the Quran very plainly states the position on medical technology and science. 

The bible isn't quite as straightforward as that LOL.  Paul mentions drinking a bit of wine to settle a sour stomach and there are references to injuries being treated with the medicine of the time.   Heck, gospel writer Luke was a companion of the apostle Paul, but before that he was a doctor.  He became a Christian yet he still remained a doctor.

Within the book of Galatians Paul notes the sin of sorcery which is rooted in the greek term pharmakeia (pharmacy).  This isn't indicating that medicines in general are bad.  The context is about sorcery and witchcraft and avoiding making or partaking in elicit drugs (potions) for purposes of engaging in witchcraft, the occult or abusing drugs in general for non-medical purposes and allowing it consume a person creating addictions that oppose God's will for our lives.   

I think folks misinterpret these passages of scripture, but again I agree that the behavior is ridiculous.  If my kid skins her knee she's gettin some ointment, a bandage, a little tylenol and a hug LOL!

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 10:16:19 AM »
I wouldn't blame this on religion, I'd blame the sick people that thought this was ok. My mother is VERY religious and brought us up in a strict house and yes, she did take a belt or "switch" to us when we did wrong but she also knew when to stop. A couple of whacks to get your point across I understand (though I don't spank my children) but lumps on the head, open wounds and other long term torture techniques are unacceptable.

The Bible does say "not to spare the rod" but doesn't say, beat your kids to death. These people had no business being parents.  I'm of the personal opinion that parents who have to resort to physical violence need to better educate themselves on child psychology and maybe take some personal anger management classes. I know my mom hit us sometimes out of sheer frustration but again, never to the point of anything close to the story above.

...my father on the other hand was a bit harsh, but that is they way he was raised. Samoans are a "slap first then slap again just in case" type discipliner's. BTW, he wasn't religious at all.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 10:18:25 AM »
I wouldn't blame this on religion, I'd blame the sick people that thought this was ok. My mother is VERY religious and brought us up in a strict house and yes, she did take a belt or "switch" to us when we did wrong but she also knew when to stop. A couple of whacks to get your point across I understand (though I don't spank my children) but lumps on the head, open wounds and other long term torture techniques are unacceptable.

The Bible does say "not to spare the rod" but doesn't say, beat your kids to death. These people had no business being parents.  I'm of the personal opinion that parents who have to resort to physical violence need to better educate themselves on child psychology and maybe take some personal anger management classes. I know my mom hit us sometimes out of sheer frustration but again, never to the point of anything close to the story above.

...my father on the other hand was a bit harsh, but that is they way he was raised. Samoans are a "slap first then slap again just in case" type discipliner's. BTW, he wasn't religious at all.

I have to agree.  The parents are being influenced more by the book than anything.
A